• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Captain Curmudgeon's enneagram type

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
I've come to the conclusion (along with many others) that I'm an sp/so as far as instictual variants. However, I'm not certain of my enneagram type. For quite a while I thought 6w5, but I took two different tests today, on which I tested as 1 and 5, and I read descriptions of 1, 4, 5, and 6 to a family member who thought that 5 fits best. I really don't see myself as being a 1, but I suppose almost anything is possible. Except me being a 2, 7, or 8.

Feel free to type me on your own or ask questions.

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Being able to set goals and achieve them, being competent, good food and drink, reading, learning, traveling, etc. [MENTION=17729]Typh0n[/MENTION]

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Its hard to draw any conclusions or make any guesses based on how little you wrote in this thread.

http://www.coolfreesurveys.com/take_survey/126/Random%20Questions%20about%20Myself that link contains a questionnaire with many questions, I suggest you post your answers to some of them on here...of course you dont have to answer all of them, maybe pick some that sound like youd have an interesting answer for, copy and paste the questions onto here instead of taking the survey on the site. Ill give you feedback regarding my impression of yout type.

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
1. Do you like being outside or inside better?
If I'm home along without a lot to do, I usually find myself inside lounging around. That said, I do feel a fairly strong connection to nature and probably prefer being there.

2. How important is God in your life?
I attend church every week because I always have and I have social connections and activities that I enjoy there, but I don't really have any religious beliefs. In sum, God isn't really a part of my life.

3. Do you enjoy sports?
I'm physically disabled, so that limits a lot of sports activity. I do enjoy walking outside when I can, even if it's just down the street. Yes, I can pull 8-hour lazy sessions in front of the computer, but if I'm not vegging out and being totally lazy, I need to move around.

4. Do you enjoy life or do you let it pass you by?
I do try to engage good times and opportunities as they come up. That said, due to learning and physical disabilities, there are a lot of things that I would love to be able to do that simply are not viable options. This frequently makes me feel bitter, and, despite the fact that I can't think of any significant ones right now, I'd be surprised if there haven't been quite a few opportunities I've let pass me by due to a lack of enthusiasm or motivation, or due to falsely holding out hope that better opportunities will come along, and so not fully investing myself in whatever my current course of action is.

5. Do you drink?
Yes, both to get drunk and for enjoying what I'm drinking, though moreso the latter. I love darker beers and liquors (bourbon, scotch, etc), though I have a growing appreciation for India Pale Ales.

6. What is one word that you hear all the time when people are describing your personality?
'Emotionally distant unless you're angry or upset, 'bitter', 'sarcastic' (though I'd argue more for sardonic and tongue-in-cheek, but that's probably splitting hairs), boring or dull.

7. Are you just itching to get out of your hometown?
Hell yes. Yes yes yes yes yes and again yes. But there's no point, because I'll almost certainly never be able to afford to live where I want to anyway.

8. Where would you like to live one day?
A city bigger than the one near here- at least a couple hundred-thousand people. Not a run-down rustbelt city with crumbling infrastructure and off-the-charts crime and social problems either. And in a good area with plenty of well-educated folks. Ideally this place would also have fairly progressive values and few if any right-wing religious 'fundamentalists'*.
*take this term as you will, I'm not posting this to debate sociopolitical terminology.

9. Speak any foreign languages?
No; I did take three semesters of Spanish in high school and one in college, though I did poorly in the latter and haven't retained very much.

10. What is the age limit when it comes to dating someone?
I'm 23. The ideal scenario for me would be dating someone within two years or so on either side of that, though I'd be quite willing to date someone if they were a bit older. I might be a bit picky in that regard, but to me it would feel odd, being out in the working world for three years before my SO is even old enough to get a degree.

11. What do you do when you're nervous?
It depends; if there's conflict brewing, ie screaming, shouting, slamming doors, I'll withdraw. If it's something else, pace, drink a lot of water and fidget, pace, freak out, pace some more, etc.

I'm done for now. I may add more at another point.

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
What made you unsure of your type?
I haven never really strongly identified with any of the types, MBTI or enneagram.

1. What do you yearn for in life? Why?
Success, and to not be overwhelmed with stress and misfortune. For my desired living situation, please see the above post. Also, success- to be respected, admired, and even envied by others- simply feels good.

2. Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.
Any time that I look back on in a classroom where I was one of the most informed students, I can't help but feel proud of where I was at that point in time. It's nice to feel superior to so many people, yet realize that you can learn much more from some others. Also, chances are that if I know that much more than average about something, I enjoy learning about it to begin with. Enjoyment, learning, and feeling successful all in one- it's a great feeling, but one that I don't feel nearly enough anymore.

3. What makes you feel inferior?
Lots of things. Not knowing enough to contribute to intellectual conversations even if I wanted to- especially if I want to- at a particular moment. Realizing that I likely won't make a lot of money in the future- not enough to get where I want to in life. It really makes me inferior when I realize that in order to do so, I'd basically have to make my learning/ physical disabilities (or at least one or the other) disappear. Oddly enough, unless I receive fairly harsh reprimands and a lasting change in others' perception toward me, what others tend to think of me outside of my intellectual ability doesn't really bother me. Yes, a lot of people that know me well enough to get past the quiet, perhaps slightly distant and gruff exterior do in fact describe me as nice and having a good character, but I would not say that that has ever been a particular focus. Approval has been a bit more of a focus, at least from my parents, but it would be pretty rare for someone to have decent parents and not give a damn what they think.

Well that got off track...but it would be pointless to edit it when trying to give clear indicators of my personality, and I don't feel like it, so...*continues*

4. Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?
Just one? Pfft, yeah, not going to happen.

There are annual conferences held in major cities around the country held each year for people with my disability. Shared learning and exploring a big city I've never been to before was always an awesome experience.

Birdwatching is always a great activity, and I've seen numerous amazing sights over the few years I've been involved with this activity.

As far as more routine activities go, I've read some great books that I believe I'll always remember quite fondly. That's one of the wonderful things about books- you never know, the next one you read might be one you'll remember for years afterward, for any number of reasons.

5. When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)
It depends on what I'm learning. I find that I enjoy professors talking about theories or terms and then giving real-life examples of them. Sometimes having someone recount fascinating personal experience is a great way to learn as well. Some things are best learned hands on, too. It would be impossible to pick just one overall, but my fondest learning experiences, apart from being out in nature, have typically been either in front of someone lecturing well or with my nose in a book. Granted I tend to associate hands-on learning with trades, shop class, and the like, and I have essentially no talent in those areas, so I may or may not be biased. I also have some good memories of social work field work- working alongside someone with a degree, or having them show me how to do something and then doing it- indeed, it is probably the fastest and most effective way to learn, but there wasn't anything exceptional about it.

In sum, I would say that while I have fonder memories of classroom learning, hands-on learning is probably more efficient for me, and these combined make for a draw as far as preference.

6. How organized do you to think of yourself as?
Not very, but I'm sure as shit more organized than my sister.

7. How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?
Info, info, info. While Fi, in whatever capacity I have it, does create an incentive to just accept what I want to and disregard other things, I often find myself collecting info from whatever side of the issue I can. Every so often, I'll read an editorial in the paper, and then proceed to read the most damning op-eds that disagree with that stance (the first one is always the one I agree with) just to try to stay informed. It feels revolting at first, but after ruminating over the issue at hand and perhaps a google search or two, I usually feel much more informed and have sometimes even gained a level of knowledge that neither article would offer. Hey, at least Michelle Malkin's existence is good for something!

8. Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?
Think first. Often the thinking isn't followed by speaking, especially if I'm in a sizeable group.

9. 13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?
Know first, then act. Action tends to speak as loud as words, if not louder, simply due to impact, though I would argue that verbally standing by oft-repeated words is in itself an action. Brief words can be said and then regretted, but if you say something ten times over five years, your words are as illuminating as any action.

10. It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?
Hit record and have a fun night out.

11. How do you act when you're stressed out?
Either I withdraw, as is the case with conflict, or I lash out at others and sometimes myself. I blame and criticize. Whether I'm blaming or criticizing myself or others varies, though both usually get at least a small bit of criticism.

12. What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?
Quickly judging others, and not believing facts. If you're disagreeing with proven fact because of 'how you feel' about something, how can you expect to be useful to the rest of humanity? Stop dragging the rest of us down already, and stop voting, stop debating, stop arguing, and maybe read a book?

13. What kind of things do you pay the least attention to in your life?
There are certain things that I have a harder time picking up on than others (body language, conversational cues), but as far as what I pay attention to, I don't think there's anything I really neglect disproportionately.

14. How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ?
Even-keeled emotionally, but that's because my venting either happens in front of my parents or on Vent (though I rarely ever have intense fits of yelling, screaming etc. and I virtually never cry), rather socially awkward if not inept, yet someone ready to listen and give advice if needed. Offbeat. Someone that might be one of those people that doesn't become an alcoholic overnight or soon, but ends up entering rehab at 65 after a life of steadily increased drinking (I'm going out on a limb on that one, after making a few awkward drunken appearances and my love of discussing alcohol.)

Addendum: Though I feel considerably more settled on MBTI/socionics type, input is appreciated in those regards as well.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I could see 6w5 (or 5w6). I'm thinking 6-3-1 for tritype? And definitely sp/so.

Why'd you leave some of the questions out?

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
I could see 6w5 (or 5w6). I'm thinking 6-3-1 for tritype? And definitely sp/so.

Why'd you leave some of the questions out?

6w5 sp/so does seem to be the general consensus at this point. I left some questions out because they didn't seem to be of as much use as the others.

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Im thinking 5w6.

Why 5w6 over 6w5? Or, for those other than myself that are undecided (@EJCC), what would be some things that would differentiate the two?

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You just don't give off a very anxious or neurotic vibe. Reserved and cerebral enough that you might also read as 5. Doesn't help that you're also sp-first, and it's so easy to confuse sp and 5. (Or at least, it's easy for me to confuse them.)

I'm gonna go with 6, though. In part because I've never known a 5 to be so perpetually cranky :laugh: and in part because of this, which I found on Personality Cafe:

Distinguishing between enneagram 5, and 6.
A lot of 6w5s type as 5s because some of the differences are very subtle, and have to do with their thoughts, rather than any obvious more external clues. 6 is a common type for intp, and every other mbti type for that matter.

Some not easily observable differences in the 5, and 6:

6s are more focused on the external. 5s, internal. 6s are also internal at times but they have more energy focused on the world.

6s thoughts are quicker, more hasty decisions are made, then gone back on sometimes. The mind generates thoughts and ideas quickly, and may stream several possibilities at the same time, as the 6 teeters back and forth between these different ideas. A 5 can more slowly connect the dots, in their stream of thought, carefully, building from a, to b, to c. A 6 will connect a, to b, to c, then recheck a, and b, finding alternatives to each, sort of like quickly shifting alternate puzzle pieces – and this happens very fast.

5s are less anxious than 6s. The 6 wants the answers, the truth, the knowledge, so they can settle an inner anxiety. They want these things quickly.

The 6 profiles flat out suck, and I don’t actually expect any 6 to identify with and accept them. It makes them out to be social sixes (variant flavoring) usually, and it really plays up their anxiety, magnifying it to make it absurd and unrealistic. This is not to say that the 6 doesn’t experience a lot of anxiety. There is an undercurrent of anxiety in a 6 – lots of what-if thinking, and contingency planning (which doesn’t mean that 6s take a boyscout pack of tools with them everywhere, they just have thought through things that could go wrong, so they can be prepared for them).

6s are affected by things in their environment more than 5s. They are more aware of that environment in general in the first place, but an example of being affected would be something like this: a 6 witnesses someone elses misfortune, say an accident for example.. well, that 6 is going to take a note on how to prevent that from happening to -them-. A 5 wouldn’t necessarily feel connected to the incident enough to think that scenario through in a way that applies to them. 6s are also more aware of authority — especially authority they consider to be corrupt. 5s don’t typically give a damn to notice. They don’t feel touched by it. They have a level of detachment that the 6 does not have.

6s can go for stretches of time without really noticing their anxiety. They can think -over- the anxiety in a way, not paying attention to that shaky scared track playing underneath it at all. Counterphobic 6s can even go without noticing their fear, as they just reduce it to a little exciting push, that propels them headfirst into a situation instead of away -from- that situation like a phobic 6.

A 6s gut and img fixes can often be -very- present, sort of through their sixness, also. Many 8 fixed 6s can seem like 8s for example. I often see the primary types (3, 6, 9) as being more transparent panes that the other fixes in the type can show through. My point is that this is another thing that makes it difficult to identify a 6, or identify yourself as a 6.

G

Ginkgo

6w5-9w8-4w5 sp/sp/sp

You go out of your way to touch bases and fit in with others like a 6 would, even when you're not seeking any other personal depth.

Kinda iffy about the heart fix because it's hardly evident, but I can't see you as a 3 or a 2 very easily...

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
6w5-9w8-4w5 sp/sp/sp

Kinda iffy about the heart fix because it's hardly evident, but I can't see you as a 3 or a 2 very easily...
:laugh: @ the bolded

Why not 9w1 for gut fix?

I'd be more inclined to see 3 than 4. But then again, the evidence I'm thinking of could also be 6 disintegration to 3.

G

Ginkgo

:laugh: @ the bolded

Why not 9w1 for gut fix?

I'd be more inclined to see 3 than 4. But then again, the evidence I'm thinking of could also be 6 disintegration to 3.

9w8 because he pushes back when his peace is disrupted. He's not really as avoidant as you would think a 9w1 would be.

Why 3?

I see some elitism with him, that could perhaps be interpreted as either 3ish or 4ish, but it reminds me of INTPCentral's proverbial resistance to the mores of society on the basis that people, in general, are stupid. This strikes me as more 4-ish, as the process seems to backpedal away from others rather than meeting them on their own terms.

Finding where disintegration/integration ends and where tritype fixes begin is a chore, ain't it?

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
9w8 because he pushes back when his peace is disrupted. He's not really as avoidant as you would think a 9w1 would be.
I'd attributed that to 6-ness. But then again, it's so hard to see 1 influence in others. It's sneaky. :ninja:
Because I didn't see 2 or 4. :laugh: But seriously, it's because of some posts of his I'd read where he compared his own accomplishments with those of others -- weighing his opinion of himself off that. I associate 4 with "I am myself and if people don't appreciate that then it's their problem". :shrug: But you're the 4 -- I don't "get" 4ness all that much so I defer to you.
I see some elitism with him, that could perhaps be interpreted as either 3ish or 4ish, but it reminds me of INTPCentral's proverbial resistance to the mores of society on the basis that people, in general, are stupid. This strikes me as more 4-ish, as the process seems to backpedal away from others rather than meeting them on their own terms.
Hm! Makes sense. (And again, taking your word for it as a 4.)
Finding where disintegration/integration ends and where tritype fixes begin is a chore, ain't it?
:doh: Yes. Made finding my own tritype a pain in the ass, too.

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Bumping this thread again a year and a half later. I've been testing as a 3 now, and also identify as ISTJ. Input appreciated. [MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION] [MENTION=17729]Typh0n[/MENTION] [MENTION=9273]Vasilisa[/MENTION] [MENTION=5789]Beorn[/MENTION] [MENTION=4883]Cimarron[/MENTION] [MENTION=8244]Eilonwy[/MENTION]@hive [MENTION=22098]Jarlaxle[/MENTION] [MENTION=20005]Noll[/MENTION] [MENTION=6163]ReadingRainbows[/MENTION] [MENTION=22109]Evee[/MENTION] [MENTION=18819]five sounds[/MENTION] [MENTION=7991]chickpea[/MENTION] [MENTION=16139]Honor[/MENTION] [MENTION=7254]Wind Up Rex[/MENTION] [MENTION=6071]Oaky[/MENTION]

Last edited:

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Oh for sure ISTJ.

For Enneagram I'd guess 6w5 63x sp. Could also see 3w4 but you definitely have a 6 fix.

What types do you feel like you integrate/disintegrate to?

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
What types do you feel like you integrate/disintegrate to?

I have no idea. Maybe 3, which would make sense as a 6, but I'm not sure. When stressed, I usually either work harder or just give up completely and go into a sort of prolonged malaise-meltdown mode, frequently the former followed by the latter. In either case, it's always accompanied by me criticizing others I feel are less talented, intelligent, or otherwise deserving. (One of my worst traits that I'm really not proud of, is an occasional tendency to corner those close to me, and inquire about why they think they or someone else is more deserving than myself, or why I should be forgiving and overlook someone else's faults if they're in a similar vein as my own. In fact, I've been called out for being mean and bitter a few times, again by those close to me.

OVerall, my thought is that 6 and 3 are the strongest, though I could be wrong and I'm not sure in which order.

Sorry in advance if this is full of run-ons and is confusing at all. Dead tired and heading to bed. I'll check this thread again tomorrow.

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Oh for sure ISTJ

I still find it fascinating that this is pretty well agreed upon but it took the better part of four years on the forum.