• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ISFP, ESFP, ENFP or neither?

What type am I?

• ISFP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ESFP

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • ENFP

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Other

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

Dancing_Queen

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
"Inferior Si users at their worst will indulge in comfortable familiar experiences, but while these experiences usually center around rebuilding a feeling of technical competence for some it's most often directed at rehabilitating the unique value of one's personal identity and sense of self-expression. They may retreat home and indulge in the consistently positive feedback of close friends and family that they know will encourage them when they need it. When the chips are down, creating a little familiarity, leaving a rope by which to climb back to where we started, begins to strike the person as an increasingly prudent idea the more he grows and TeSi embeds itself further into his perspective."

That has happened in my recent past. I don't have problems making new friends, but as soon as they show disinterest, disapproval or lack of understanding, even in the slightest, I distance myself and go back to hanging out with my old crowd, who gets me and appreciates me.
I refused several great job proposals because they would lead me to uncharted territory in my depression phase too.

Maybe it's time for me to admit I'm much softer, or at least more sensitive, than I would like to be.

Dancing_Queen

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
"Inferior Si users at their worst will indulge in comfortable familiar experiences, but while these experiences usually center around rebuilding a feeling of technical competence for some it's most often directed at rehabilitating the unique value of one's personal identity and sense of self-expression. They may retreat home and indulge in the consistently positive feedback of close friends and family that they know will encourage them when they need it. When the chips are down, creating a little familiarity, leaving a rope by which to climb back to where we started, begins to strike the person as an increasingly prudent idea the more he grows and TeSi embeds itself further into his perspective."

That has happened in my recent past. I don't have problems making new friends, but as soon as they show disinterest, disapproval or lack of understanding, even in the slightest, I distance myself and go back to hanging out with my old crowd, who gets me and appreciates me.
I refused several great job proposals because they would lead me to uncharted territory in my depression phase too.

Maybe it's time for me to admit I'm much softer, or at least more sensitive, than I would like to be.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well, just because the best 3 guesses on your type are ISFP, ESFP, and ENFP doesn't necessarily make ESFP (middle option) the best one.

For reference, I narrowed down my 3 most likely types to ISTP, INTP, and INTJ as you can see in my Who thinks I'am an ISTP? Vote for this if you believe it! thread (and the excessive amounts of external input I needed is supposedly counter to the nature of Ti and Fi doms, who trust their own internal reasonings or values [and there's other factors too, but I need not elaborate here]).

The point is that if you're asking what a bunch of people think (and listening with intent), the odds of you being a dominant Fi (like ISFP) drop a fair amount. So in my mind, you are either an ESFP or an ENFP, seeing that you've given this such intense thought with the integration of outside input (which could be Te).

On the whole, you seem a bit more like an ENFP to me than like an ESFP, at least based on the information in this thread (which could be questioned, but it's most likely a well-defined picture). You seem to bounce around a lot and change your opinions (and this might have relations to an N function).

So, all of that being said (imo which might be off [and as such, I'm not ruling out any options, but just giving probabilities]), ENFP>ESFP>ISFP.

Dancing_Queen

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well, just because the best 3 guesses on your type are ISFP, ESFP, and ENFP doesn't necessarily make ESFP (middle option) the best one.
For reference, I narrowed down my 3 most likely types to ISTP, INTP, and INTJ as you can see in my Who thinks I'am an ISTP? Vote for this if you believe it! thread (and the excessive amounts of external input I needed is supposedly counter to the nature of Ti and Fi doms, who trust their own internal reasonings or values [and there's other factors too, but I need not elaborate here]).

The point is that if you're asking what a bunch of people think (and listening with intent), the odds of you being a dominant Fi (like ISFP) drop a fair amount. So in my mind, you are either an ESFP or an ENFP, seeing that you've given this such intense thought with the integration of outside input (which could be Te).

On the whole, you seem a bit more like an ENFP to me than like an ESFP, at least based on the information in this thread (which could be questioned, but it's most likely a well-defined picture). You seem to bounce around a lot and change your opinions (and this might have relations to an N function).

So, all of that being said (imo which might be off [and as such, I'm not ruling out any options, but just giving probabilities]), ENFP>ESFP>ISFP.

Thank you for stopping by!

As I said before, I only included ISFP because I got that on my last cognitive functions test and was intrigued. I never really bought that, though :newwink:.

Yes, I change my mind a lot not because I don't have an opinion of my own, but because my mind is always open to change. New info, new ideas. Is that N in action, then? Funny, I've been called "bouncy" a couple times :D

PS: Your Yoda avatar is really cool. Did you make it yourself?

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Sure, I frankly skimmed some parts here in your thread, but it was a good trip.

As I said before, I only included ISFP because I got that on my last cognitive functions test and was intrigued. I never really bought that, though :newwink:.

I agree. These 'tests' are only as good as the maker (and perhaps the taker).

Yes, I change my mind a lot not because I don't have an opinion of my own, but because my mind is always open to change. New info, new ideas. Is that N in action, then? Funny, I've been called "bouncy" a couple times :D

Open to change? That's good I think, being able to transform your ideas and such.

PS: Your Yoda avatar is really cool. Did you make it yourself?

I do a lot of searches (information addiction - a 5 thing), and that picture happened to be one of the fruitful results.

It's pretty cool actually. It makes me look all wise and powerful!

Dancing_Queen

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So I decided to get a real MBTI test made by a psychiatrist at uni (that went R$ 118 :cry:). I got a loud and clear ENFP (the assessment says I "deny and suppress undesired aspects of the self" :dry:. I had already figured that after reading this:

http://selfed.livejournal.com/2517.html

and this:

http://www.cognitiveprocesses.com/

No verboten or stereotyped examples, it goes straight to the gut. I've learned my lesson of not skipping the basics of anything, that's where the primal information is at.

But it was a great relief to know for sure. Oh, I also got my Ennegram confirmed by the same team. Luckily that was free of charge since my info will be used on a published research :smile:.

I wanna thank [MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION], [MENTION=9160]HelenOfTroy[/MENTION], [MENTION=10496]skylights[/MENTION] and [MENTION=13377]pinkgraffiti[/MENTION] for taking their time to read my posts and offer input.

You guys rock!!!

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hello :hi:

I’ve been trying to determine my type on my own to no avail, so I decided to register and ask for help. I always thought of myself as an introverted, but since I started taking online Jung/MBTI tests (yes, I know they’re not reliable) I score as ESFP and when taking Cognitive Functions tests, usually either ESFP or ENFP.
But the last one I took, with no rush I got ISFP. I’ve never considered that option because I always get ExxP, but the funny thing is the girl I most identify with (at least in behavior) is an ISFP. The difference is that I’m definitely more enthusiastic about things, and more outspoken in most situations. When I read about temperaments I always identify as SP, but there's a lot of me in the ENFP description.

The only thing I’m 100% positive is that I’m an Enneagram Type 8w7 (sx/so/sp/), which according to some people, can interfere in how you are typed because people tend to correlate the 9 types with MBTI. I'm including this because the type 8 main drive is to control, while people describe ISFPs as having a "go with the flow" attitude. This is the struggle I've been in for my whole life.

ISFP

Things I identify with:

• I’m highly visual, I love color pallets (I used list my color pencils when I was in primary school, divide them by group and assign them to my imaginary students) ;
  • Aesthetic in every way, beauty itself touches and inspires me;
  • I have a special thing for marveling at the sky beauty no matter what kind of weather it is and take many pictures of it;
  • The word people most associate with me is “mysterious”, but I don’t really see it;
  • People are often surprised with the things I say and do, but to me they are obviously who I am;
  • I’m very lazy unless it comes to dancing or taking a bath;
  • I need aircon and other forms of comfort like people need air;
  • I extremely value privacy, if you ever go through my stuff it’s over;
  • I always know when someone is faking it and it both pisses me off and disgusts me;
  • I detest people who think they are very smart or are cocky in any other way;
  • Uptight people who can’t let loose and have fun annoy me;
  • I can’t stand people who need to drawn attention to themselves at all times;
  • I’m allergic to jealous and condescending people;
  • I can’t deal with people who have no opinion of their own and agree with anything others say, even when it’s me;
  • I’m known for looking distant and even “cold” at times, but I’m really warm and friendly on the inside;
  • I can’t talk about my feelings with other people At ALL, unless anonymously online;
  • I usually get crazy nervous before presenting something at school, but end up being great at it, I’ve been asked if I too any course in public speech;
  • I can’t stand being interrupted;
  • Vulgar language makes me wanna leave the room;
  • I have a habit of finding music that relates to what people are going trough to make mix cds and give it to them because I think music is the best therapy;
  • I absolutely LOATH when someone drops by uninvited and unannounced;
  • When people beat around the bush or babble about, and when they finally get to the point you're like " that's it?"
  • I also would never initiate anything, though I'm more dominant (or at least independent) during relationships, I'm completely passive when it comes to making a move. I just can't do it, it's gotta come from the other person.

Things I don’t identify with:

• I don’t go looking for conflict but I don’t shy away from it either;
  • I only sleep because I need to, I don't really like the idea of wasting time;
  • I'm humble but aware when I'm really good at something, I don't have trouble accepting praise and compliments;
    I always have a goal in mind,I don't just 'go with the flow";
  • I have no problem speaking my mind when hurt, insulted or needing/wanting something from someone, I don't swallow my feelings;
  • I like attention and me taking charge always end up happening even when I try to avoid it (but I don’t necessarily like the responsibility that comes with it);
  • I’m always attracted by sensitive and cute people, specially ones who seem to need protection and someone to stand up for them (I’ve read that ISFPs tend to prefer “strong” people who can protect them);

ESFP

Things I identify with:

• I'm very sensual, love good music, fashion, food and loong baths with all the shenanigans I have a right to;
  • I'm a very honest and direct person;
  • I'm very impulsive and can be emotional;
  • I love to play practical jokes like scaring people;
  • I sometimes act or say something eccentric just to see people's reactions;
  • I'm playful and spontaneous;
  • I talk a lot, and if I'm happy or excited I'm quite loud ant speak very fast;
  • I'm a celebratory person, I live for dates like Halloween and Christmas;
  • I have definite tastes and preferences;
  • I'm willing to take the good with the bad;
  • I'm easily upset or offended;
  • I enjoy work and work hard, as long as it's fun and I'm not left alone to do mundane tasks;
  • I need to be allowed to express myself, stay active, and collaborate with others;
  • I feel most alive when things are straight-forward, and I'm told that I'm loved;
  • I'm naturally very generous, sometimes too much;

Things I don't identify with:

• I do hold grudges and don't forget easily;
  • I'm not aggressive or obvious when it comes to attraction, I prefer things to happen naturally;
  • I thin of other people before doing or saying things the majority of the time;
  • I can take criticism very well;
  • I rather die than waste time talking about nails, hair, cars, sports and other things like that;
  • I'm not open and trusty with strangers AT ALL;
  • I'm not narrow minded or prone to stereotyping;
  • I can take criticism well;
  • I'm not reckless when it comes to potential dangerous things, I actually can be a bit paranoid about safety;

ENFP

Things I identify with:

• I’m open-minded, imaginative, caring and outgoing;
  • I have short attention span and a big diversity of interests;
  • I’m excellent at connecting the dots, especially when it comes to people;
  • I’m unconventional, irreverent, and unimpressed by authority;
  • I’m incredibly perceptive, you can usually sense if someone has hidden motives;
  • I use lots of colorful language and expressions. I’m quite the storyteller;
  • I’m pretty good at motivating people to do things (or persuading them, I’m not really sure what is it I do, but it always works);
  • I strive for "win-win" situations;
  • I have lively sense of humor and I’m dramatic;
  • I don't care if others don't understand me, as long as I understand myself;
  • I often don't follow through with my flirting or professed feelings;
  • I’m the least likely to feel overwhelmed. I actually enjoy chaos;
  • I have a talent for evoking beautiful imagery;
  • I need freedom and room to grow;
  • I have a strong sense of purpose in life;
  • I never know where my heart will take me, but I’m willing to follow it anywhere;

Things I don’t identify with:

• I don’t need constant validation from other people;
  • I don’t mold myself according to who I’m interacting with;
  • I’m not the type to hug or touch people unless we’re really close;
  • I always notice first thing when there’s anything remotely different in someone’s appearance, even if I can’t quite point what;
  • I’m not attracted to “dark and brooding” people at all, I’d never look at one of them twice (ENFPs are supposedly crazy for INTJs :dry:);
  • I don't know if I could ever see myself as idealist, I'm quite realistic and even cynical about people, it's very hard for me to believe someone has changed for the better;
  • I don't thin anyone would ever describe me as goofy or clingy;
  • I used to be brutally honest when my opinion was asked until recently, when I learned to have more tact. I would never lie though;
  • I'm highly visual and aesthetic, love fashion and beautiful people, though I'm sometimes too lazy to dress up;
  • When it comes to relationships, I'm not nearly as needy as the descriptions I read, I'm ok with being alone;
  • I can start relationships easily, but I'm not open at all until I feel safe;
  • I've never had problems breaking up with someone and would never hang on to an unhappy or unhealthy relationship;

I really don’t mean to stereotype anyone, but after reading not only descriptions of these types but a lot threads on their habits on this and other forums, these are the common traits found.

Loong Great Wall of Text I know, but desperate times…:cry:

I appreciate any kind of input and info. Thanks in advance.

Sorry, but you're not an 8, far more likely the 7w8 than 8w7, and ESFP.

Your Extraversion is very apparent. "I don't know if I could ever see myself as idealist, I'm quite realistic and even cynical about people, it's very hard for me to believe someone has changed for the better," you're a strong Sensor. You indicate many, many spontaneous Perceiving traits. 'I strive for "win-win" situations' is one of your few Feeling descriptions. Most of your post shows Extraversion and Sensing.

As for my choice of 7w8 over 8w7, I had a boss who was an 8w7. This type of person is very challenging to be around, and very inflexible. You seem more flexible and fun loving, like a 7. "I sometimes act or say something eccentric just to see people's reactions," this is not an 8 trait, or even 8w7, but very much a 7 trait.

The only question I have is your wing type. "I'm not reckless when it comes to potential dangerous things, I actually can be a bit paranoid about safety," indicates more of a 7w6 than 7w8. So you could be the same type as Robin Williams (versus 7w8 Phyllis Diller).

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

What she doesn't tell you however is that she scored 43.0 on the Se scale and 36.6 on the Ne scale. And although her Fi score was the highest on the functions test, even her self-description comes out as Se-dominant.

For example, "Sensual thrills- I LOVE dancing (as you can see in my username), muisc, eating good food and seeing beautiful things (love fashion and photography)."

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
She also wrote this: "I read some of the material you guys posted and I would say I'm most definetely NOT an ENFP. Mostly because I don't fit in the NF outlook and mindset at all. Most definetely SP."

Dancing_Queen

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sorry, but you're not an 8, far more likely the 7w8 than 8w7, and ESFP.

Your Extraversion is very apparent. "I don't know if I could ever see myself as idealist, I'm quite realistic and even cynical about people, it's very hard for me to believe someone has changed for the better," you're a strong Sensor. You indicate many, many spontaneous Perceiving traits. 'I strive for "win-win" situations' is one of your few Feeling descriptions. Most of your post shows Extraversion and Sensing.

As for my choice of 7w8 over 8w7, I had a boss who was an 8w7. This type of person is very challenging to be around, and very inflexible. You seem more flexible and fun loving, like a 7. "I sometimes act or say something eccentric just to see people's reactions," this is not an 8 trait, or even 8w7, but very much a 7 trait.

The only question I have is your wing type. "I'm not reckless when it comes to potential dangerous things, I actually can be a bit paranoid about safety," indicates more of a 7w6 than 7w8. So you could be the same type as Robin Williams (versus 7w8 Phyllis Diller).

So basically you think you know more about MBTI then a team of professionals? Because I didn't type as an Enneagram 8w7 just in every online test I got in the past two years, I got tested by a psychologist at my university, and got the same thing.

As for being ESFP sorry, but that's not what my official MBTI results showed as well.

Dancing_Queen

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What she doesn't tell you however is that she scored 43.0 on the Se scale and 36.6 on the Ne scale. And although her Fi score was the highest on the functions test, even her self-description comes out as Se-dominant.

For example, "Sensual thrills- I LOVE dancing (as you can see in my username), muisc, eating good food and seeing beautiful things (love fashion and photography)."

"Her"? "She"?

If your talking to me the appropriate way to address me it's "you".

Dancing_Queen

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
She also wrote this: "I read some of the material you guys posted and I would say I'm most definetely NOT an ENFP. Mostly because I don't fit in the NF outlook and mindset at all. Most definetely SP."

I'm tired of replying to your one line posts one by one, but it's sufficient to say you seem pretty obsessed with proving I'm wrong about my type, which is weird. I would think an INTP would have better things to occupy his mind with.

As for my quote, I did think I didn't fit the NF description since the limited material I've read to that point described us as being rainbow vomiting butterfly chasers who are obsessed with unicorns, which I never was. Actually taking time to read about functions and temperaments showed me I had an incredibly superficial and partial view about types.