• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

4, or 7? (or something else?)

deadship

MBTI Type
ENFP
I am a bit confused about my enneagram. When I read about 4, everything seemed to be just exactly me, but when I read about 7 it's almost the same. I can very much relate to both 4 and 7, maybe I am totally wrong and my enneagram number is different. Please will anyone help me to figure this out?
Everyone seems to look for who they really are to some point, but for me this is one of the most important questions. Not just finding who I am on the outside, but who I really am in my core. In most of the people and things I try to see their cores, and how they really are. Even though I try to look deep into things, I might seem superficial, because I tend to look to much at the image, or status of others. It's really important for me how I look. I think my image is the expression of who I am, which is very important for me. I always try to wear clothes, that are original and can somehow describe me. My problem is, that I tend to be very indecisive and I often try to change my style, image, or who I am. I have very high standards for myself, that I try to reach. My ideals and expectations often tend to be too high, or unrealistic, which often brings me the feeling of being unsatisfied. I am very prone to depressions, mood swings, self-pity. I often tend to feel like the victim. I dislike to express these feelings, because then I feel like the attention whore, pathetic and weak. To people around me, I usually show my happy and fun loving face, because I think people can accept me better like that. I am very sensitive on criticism and rejection and I rely on my happy face, that it will make me more likeable around others. I like to express my feelings through some creative work like writting, music, singing... Being creative makes me feel great and it gives me the space to express myself which I really need. But I have to fight with feelings of failure and envy. When I see that someone is more successful, or more creative, original... I tend to feel like the biggest looser and lost the interested in all the work. That's why I have very big problem with finishing projects, that I start. I also tend to overanalyze my work, feelings, thoughts... Even though I am sensitive type I have a strong sense for adventure, excitement and experiences. I get extremely easily bored, I hate stereotypical work and I need a lot of change. In stereotype I always feel like chained, I need freedom, chance to live my life my own way. I dislike responsibilities and tend to run away from them. I am careless about lot of things and I wear my head high in the clouds. I like to spend time with my friends, at the parties and just having fun. I often end up doing some crazy and spontaneus things. My big dream is to travel the world and collect new and new experiences. Stereotypical family life just seem so depressing to me. I fear of having ordinary life like everybody else does. I also dream about being successful as a musician, or writer. I view myself as an artist, who is orriented toward pleasure and bohemian lifestyle.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
well thats all very confusing.

i'm a 7 and don't relate to type 4 much at all.

reading through that i thought...maybe type 3...okay maybe 4w3...maybe...7...no...maybe just 4w3sx ??

or 7w6 so/sx ?? but yeah no...still confused. what do you get on tests?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
WALL_OF_TEXT.jpg

deadship

MBTI Type
ENFP
well thats all very confusing.

i'm a 7 and don't relate to type 4 much at all.

reading through that i thought...maybe type 3...okay maybe 4w3...maybe...7...no...maybe just 4w3sx ??

or 7w6 so/sx ?? but yeah no...still confused. what do you get on tests?
Confusing right? I really have both 7s and 4s tendencies. My behavior pattern and hobbies are much more similar to type 4, but my motivations tend to be pretty charateristic for 7s also... I don't test as 7 at all. At all tests I've taken so far I always scored as very clear 4w5. I have no idea about my instinctual variant. I feel like I can be anything so, sp, but to be honest I don't really feel like sx dom.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am a bit confused about my enneagram. When I read about 4, everything seemed to be just exactly me, but when I read about 7 it's almost the same. I can very much relate to both 4 and 7, maybe I am totally wrong and my enneagram number is different. Please will anyone help me to figure this out?
Everyone seems to look for who they really are to some point, but for me this is one of the most important questions. Not just finding who I am on the outside, but who I really am in my core. In most of the people and things I try to see their cores, and how they really are. Even though I try to look deep into things, I might seem superficial, because I tend to look to much at the image, or status of others. It's really important for me how I look. I think my image is the expression of who I am, which is very important for me. I always try to wear clothes, that are original and can somehow describe me. My problem is, that I tend to be very indecisive and I often try to change my style, image, or who I am. I have very high standards for myself, that I try to reach. My ideals and expectations often tend to be too high, or unrealistic, which often brings me the feeling of being unsatisfied. I am very prone to depressions, mood swings, self-pity. I often tend to feel like the victim. I dislike to express these feelings, because then I feel like the attention whore, pathetic and weak. To people around me, I usually show my happy and fun loving face, because I think people can accept me better like that. I am very sensitive on criticism and rejection and I rely on my happy face, that it will make me more likeable around others. I like to express my feelings through some creative work like writting, music, singing... Being creative makes me feel great and it gives me the space to express myself which I really need. But I have to fight with feelings of failure and envy. When I see that someone is more successful, or more creative, original... I tend to feel like the biggest looser and lost the interested in all the work. That's why I have very big problem with finishing projects, that I start. I also tend to overanalyze my work, feelings, thoughts... Even though I am sensitive type I have a strong sense for adventure, excitement and experiences. I get extremely easily bored, I hate stereotypical work and I need a lot of change. In stereotype I always feel like chained, I need freedom, chance to live my life my own way. I dislike responsibilities and tend to run away from them. I am careless about lot of things and I wear my head high in the clouds. I like to spend time with my friends, at the parties and just having fun. I often end up doing some crazy and spontaneus things. My big dream is to travel the world and collect new and new experiences. Stereotypical family life just seem so depressing to me. I fear of having ordinary life like everybody else does. I also dream about being successful as a musician, or writer. I view myself as an artist, who is orriented toward pleasure and bohemian lifestyle.

4w3, based on everything you said.

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=18594]deadship[/MENTION]

I can't really tell, based on this paragraph alone, though I'm leaning 4w3.

Tell me, how much of the enneagram have you read? Can you see yourself having a 3- or 5-wing? You should be able to see that if you're a core 4. If you're a core 7, you should be able to partially identify with 6 or 8. So, my advice, first, is to try to find a wing.

Second, you actually are both these types--we've apparently all got 3 types, called tritype. You've got a core type, and you're influenced by 2 others. (For instance, I'm a 4w5, but I'm heavily influenced by 8, and also by 6, so my tritype is 486 with a 4w5 core). So, let's figure that out for you!

First, lemme know if you can see a particular wing.

SoraMayhem

defying your expectations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'd say you're a 4w3 from everything you're saying. What makes you think you're a 7?

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
i also agree with Lady X, I think 4w3. And, except for all that focus on image and creativity, I identified strongly with what you said, so maybe you have a 4-7-? tritype?

deadship

MBTI Type
ENFP
Thanks for the reactions you all! :) So it looks like pretty clear 4w3? [MENTION=18576]Sanjuro[/MENTION] I've read about the types I can relate to the most. I had read some basic info and than when I could relate I read more. These types where 4,7,3,1 and 6 so I don't know that much about other types, only that basic info I've read so far. I know the tritype theory and I guess my tritype is 479, 471, 469, 461, or the same only with 3, or 7 as my core so maybe 749, 741... But you know maybe I am all wrong. At first I was so sure my wing is 5, because I thought 4w3s are emotionally too opened and not intelectual, while I tend to more bottle up and hide my feelings and I also need a lot of intelectual stimulations, but when I read about 3s need for acceptance, attention and fame. I can definetly relate to those needs even more, than to needs of being intelectual so I changed to 4w3. If I'd be a 7 after all I am sure my wing would be 6, I can't relate to 8s at any point.

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=18594]deadship[/MENTION]

You'll have to look into what's really motivating you to determine your core type. Most people online, for instance, seem to feel I'm an 8 or a 6w7 depending on the website I'm on. Yet, following my core motivations and lifelong issues, it's blatantly obvious I'm a 4w5. So, try to determine what's really driving you. For many, it tends to be the one that hurts a little more to read about.

Anyway, glad to hear you already knew about tritype. Sorry if I insulted your intelligence in anyway ;) . You may already be familiar with the archetypes, then, but is there one that's a central compulsion for you? I find it to be accurate for a number of people. Here they are in one tidy lil place:

Your emotional energy goes towards seeking ideal relationships and circumstances. You want fulfilling experiences, relationships and environments. You tend to be fussy and easily frustrated and/or disenchanted with less than ideal relationships or situations. Overall, you want a sense of idealistic perfection. You are quite discriminating and tend to compare yourself to others.

you are very identified with the defense of optimism and tend to hid your more painful feelings and pessimism for fear of being rejected. you see the wonder in beauty and are gentle, lyrical, and idealistic in the way you relate to others. you are attracted to the healing profession or arts.
your life mission is to identify what is truly meaningful in life and help people transform negative feeling into positive change. a true gentle spirit, you feel happiest when you have creative expression to reconnect with your innermost self and facilitate change.
your blind spot is that you can be so focused on ideal circumstances that you become trapped in magical thinking and fail to speak your higher truth and act in accordance with your true feelings.
your growing edge is to speak your truth even if it will create conflict with others. going along to get along or to keep things light and upbeat denies the truth of the moment and can cause you to become distant from yourself. higher love has a voice and true joy is not dependent on the image of being happy.

478/784/847 Description: If you are the 478, you are intuitive, innovative and straight-forward. You want to be original, inspirational and self-possessed. A cutting-edge tracker of both your internal and external worlds, you are an unconventional, passionate master of solutions. Outwardly, you are confident but inwardly you are emotionally vulnerable. Life Mission: Your life mission is to find truth and communicate your findings. A true messenger, you are happiest when you use your creativity to find compassionate ways to understand yourself and empower others. Blind Spot: You can be so focused on your opinions, insights and what is new and profound that your freedom seeking nature can come across as arrogant, resistant, and/or uncooperative.

If you are a 146, you are diligent, intuitive, and inquisitive. You want to be ethical, original and certain. Morally focused, you have strong emotions and are inclined to voice your feelings and intuitions. You care deeply and want to help others improve the expectations they have of themselves.

Your life mission is to find truth and help others understand what has intrinsic value. A true philosopher, you are happiest when you can use your intuition to help others find meaning.

You can be so identified with what you perceive is the morally correct way of being that you can come across as overly prudish, rigid and inflexible.

If you are 469, you are intuitive, inquisitive and accepting. You want to be original, certain and peaceful. You are a very sensitive and can experience intense feelings of self-doubt and uncertainty. As a result you need multiple sources of confirmation. You want to be individualistic but can fear being separate from others.

Your life mission is to raise the questions pertaining to the mysteries of life and share your findings with others. A true seeker, you are happiest when you feel you can answer the question of who you are.

You can be so focused on your feelings, insecurities and doubts that you can feel paralyzed by the fear of making the wrong decision and of being misled or duped.

ConjectureClub

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I've been having the same problem. Sometimes, I get typed as 4 and sometimes 7. I can't find the correct test to find my tritype, but it really sounds like I may be a 479.
Lately, I'm a hermit that enjoys flights of fancy with a few chosen friends. I like reading by myself in cafes, but I've almost been socialized into enjoying alone time. People often don't get me as much as I get them. I love people, but I'm not always the best at expressing myself.
I've traveled a lot, and rarely stay put for long, but when I do, it's because I'm in love. I love taking care of people and creatures. I'm vegan, an art school dropout, and I drive a Prius. I'm a fantastic girlfriend, but lately I don't trust people long enough for them to find out.
I love figuring out how things work, and am planning on making a trip soon to read old letters to prove historical falsifications to myself. I'm writing a book about abusive relationships.
And I'm gay.
So I'm...? Experts?

S

Stansmith

I've been having the same problem. Sometimes, I get typed as 4 and sometimes 7. I can't find the correct test to find my tritype, but it really sounds like I may be a 479.
Lately, I'm a hermit that enjoys flights of fancy with a few chosen friends. I like reading by myself in cafes, but I've almost been socialized into enjoying alone time. People often don't get me as much as I get them. I love people, but I'm not always the best at expressing myself.
I've traveled a lot, and rarely stay put for long, but when I do, it's because I'm in love. I love taking care of people and creatures. I'm vegan, an art school dropout, and I drive a Prius. I'm a fantastic girlfriend, but lately I don't trust people long enough for them to find out.
I love figuring out how things work, and am planning on making a trip soon to read old letters to prove historical falsifications to myself. I'm writing a book about abusive relationships.
And I'm gay.
So I'm...? Experts?

Most likely core-9 out of those 3. You're positive outlook but seem to have a calm, earthy energy (not core-7).

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I agree with 9 as the main type, but for the tritype, have you considered 279?

ConjectureClub

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Most likely core-9 out of those 3. You're positive outlook but seem to have a calm, earthy energy (not core-7).

Oh that's so kind. I feel so un-positive lately. I've actually been going through a period of depression lately because I'm so incredibly incapable of relating to people and feel lost in the world. I guess I should've mentioned that.
But I guess it's my idealism that makes me so.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Confusing right? I really have both 7s and 4s tendencies. My behavior pattern and hobbies are much more similar to type 4, but my motivations tend to be pretty charateristic for 7s also... I don't test as 7 at all. At all tests I've taken so far I always scored as very clear 4w5. I have no idea about my instinctual variant. I feel like I can be anything so, sp, but to be honest I don't really feel like sx dom.

Hmmm...I'm a Sexual 6w7 and I now know why the one of the reasons why I was confused with being a 4w3 was because of being Sexual.

It's interesting to me that you're not sexual and pulled between these two types.

I test as 4 or 7 very often.

If you aren't sexual and don't test as 7 maybe the people who say 4w3 are right. 4w3 are more "showy" or glamour than 4w5. You'd be in company with people like Boy George, Michael Jackson, Prince and Stevie Nicks...Stevie Nicks seems like a sexual 4w3, though.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
And I'm gay.
So I'm...? Experts?

Probably a 4.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh sure. Depressive individuals with cavernous minds that don't relate well to others are soooo appealing, yes? ;) j/k.

lol actually it's the sort of description that spikes my curiosity... ;)