• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which type? (INTJ, INTP, INFJ, ?)

tsumatachi_san

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've been stuck between the three types in the title for a long time, and I'm not even confident about those. I'm using a questionnaire from Personality Cafe. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.
- I'm recovering from Social Anxiety, but nothing else really.

2. What type(s) do you usually score as on tests?
- Depends on the tests. I don't think tests are generally very good.

3. Click on this link: Flickr: Explore! Choose 2 photos and look at each for as long as you feel that you need. Copy and paste the photos here (or write the link like example: www[dot]flickr[dot]com/photos/jacoboson/8697480741/in/explore-2013-05-01), and write your impression of each of them.
(Flickr wouldn't let me copy the URL, so I found a different source which used images from Flickr and chose randomly.)
flickr-5.jpg

This image appears to be of a Gorilla statue at maybe a park or zoo. The camera is zoomed out to create a sense of the size difference between the child and the statue, maybe ironically shifting the power as, if in a zoo, the gorilla would be at the mercy of people like the children (visitors who fund the place) to survive. It could be symbolic of the enormity of nature against the insignificance of humanity. The gorilla's face is threatening, which could indicate the artist's desire to create an ominous figure, but it seems unrealistic, seeing as gorillas are generally peaceful creatures until something threatens them or invades their territory.

flickr-2.jpg

This is a photo that uses a lot of colour contrasts and the reflectivity of the water. The water looks like a warped mirror but the colour throws that imagery out. The trees look like they're sprouting from the water itself (I'm not sure if this is actually the case). It could be the church in the middle was abandoned, ironically, due to an 'act of god', in this case a flood. The place looks serene.

4. You are on the clock to fix something, a friend of yours sits beside you and gives a lot of interesting ideas, none of them actually help or are related to your situation, but they are still something you find interesting. What is your reaction? What do you say? What do you do? What's your train of thought?
- I'd probably keep on working, but it would depend what it was. If it was something like an essay, I'd ask if I could talk to the friend later seeing as I was busy and needed to concentrate. If it was a part-time job or something, I would be more likely to engage in some conversation, but be distracted by potential things I had to do (i.e. if a customer walked in). I'd be frustrated I couldn't hear the ideas, if they really were very interesting, and would bring it up at a later date.

5a. What are some of your most important values?
- To do my best with any pursuit I put my mind to, to achieve at a certain level, to work hard. To never burden people I care about. To never give up. I treat things and people with the respect they deserve. To not judge people/things too quickly. I think people should always respect each other and the things they have or use and try not to harm anything.

5b. Can they change? What would be the reason if they changed?
-They can. It depends on what kind of situation. I don't agree with people taking things they haven't earned, but stealing for, say a family who's been let down by the government and is starving, I think that's fine. The only times I wouldn't change them would be on acts which had no purpose other than to make the perpetrator feel better about themselves at the expense of others.

6. You are in a car with some other people, the people in the car are talking. Someone makes a claim that you see as immoral/rude/cruel. What is your inward reaction? What do you think? What do you say?
-I'd wonder why they thought that if it was very obviously cruel or unpleasant and would ask them why they felt that way. I could accept they might see differently about it than I did but if it was, for example, animal cruelty, I'd tell them exactly what I thought of people who hurt animals smaller and less well-equipped than them. If it was just that they disagreed with a law, I'd like to know the reasoning behind it and, if it was something that could end up being an issue, would try to talk them around from it. If they were blatantly ignorant, I'd try to inform them of reasons why their idea could be the wrong one. If they refused to budge, I'd probably think less of them for not considering another perspective.

7. a) What activities energizes you the most? Why?
- Reading a good book or watching a good film that really engages/absorbs me and stimulates my imagination, writing, good music, walking in the countryside - I find I feel most energised when inspired by something, even just a single note in a song or a thought when I'm going to sleep.

7. b) What activities drains you the most? Why?
-Arguing generally, but especially when it's over something pointless and no one will budge on the topic, being forced to be around people all the time who want me to do things and continuously pull me out of my head - I find it hard to do something I really don't want to or doesn't engage me mentally. I don't get bored, just tired, and my attention drifts at the first opportunity. Also, staying up late because I need a lot of sleep.

8. Do you believe you are introverted or extraverted? Why do you believe that? (Please be as detailed as possible)
-Introverted because if I'm around people or outside too much without a break, I get nervous, twitchy and irritable. I get the urge to hide from all outside contact and just read or write. I have a very vivid internal world I prefer a lot of the time to the external one, but it doesn't keep me from appreciating the external, just that I find it more comfortable. I feel tired more often around people than not, whereas I feel more energised by individual activities.

9. Please describe yourself, what do you see as your greatest strengths and what do you see as your greatest weaknesses?
- Hm... Strengths: dedication, focus, being able to come up with solutions quickly, a good imagination. Weaknesses: too anxious, wary of people, bad at approaching anyone, phobias, exhaustion and wearing myself out over things I shouldn't care about. Feeling older than my age could be both a strength and a weakness as I'm reasonably self-confident and independent, but have a difficult time just letting go and relaxing when I have any work to do.

10. Please describe yourself when you are feeling stressed. How do you act and why? Real life experiences are welcome.
-I get very easily muddled and forgetful. I get paranoid about forgetting things (i.e. before a speaking test in university which requires headphones, I'll wake up in the middle of the night worrying about if I put the headphones in my bag and if I didn't, if I'll remember in the morning). I get very withdrawn and want all my problems to magically vanish. I tend to spend a while getting my head in order, then tackling things that are stressing me. I also tend to get very emotional, with emotions sneaking up on me and almost anything can trigger them. In particular, I can get very sad or angry quickly when very stressed (when usually I hardly ever do).

11. What is your "soft spot" (the area that makes you upset if people mess with)?
-My feelings, I guess. If people lead me to believe they're my friends or they really like me, then pull back and start acting weird, I'll withdraw immediately in case I misread them - I really don't like feeling confused emotionally, I don't know how to deal with it. Friends and family too (and animals) - if anyone messes with them, it makes me very upset and angry.

12. What are most of the ideas/thoughts you get generally centered around (try to expand your answers as much as possible)?-
-Big ideas: fantasy/sci-fi worlds with complex characters and plot, actions that cause people to change, psychology, languages (I'm studying Japanese, so I think about it regularly), if I've achieved what I want to each day, the future and what it might be like, how things could be different and what might be better or worse, imagined situations (usually set in a more intense world).

13. What's your opinion of getting frequent feedback on what you do? (Someone pointing out what is good, what is bad, what and how to improve) Is there a limit to how often you want feedback? If so, what is the limit?
-I like a lot of criticism (a LOT) so I can improve. I tend to ignore any compliments and focus of the criticism, because that's what will help me get better in the long run. I don't like feedback on things unless I feel I'm done with them and need input to find anything I missed. I also want constructive criticism, not opinions like 'I like this', 'I don't like this' - I need to know why. One of the best things people can do with my writing is tell me how they'd try to improve a scene or a sentence so I can get more ideas.

14. Anything beyond what has been discussed that you would like to add?
-While I'm not very sociable, I have a small group of friends I'm very close to and include them as sort of a family unit (extended family, maybe).

-I can come across as very serious/intense, according to other people, and my mum keeps saying I'm an old soul, or I carry the weight of the world on my shoulders (actually, a counsellor mentioned this too).

-I tend to get very wrapped up in things I like (i.e. writing, reading) and can lose track of time and neglect other things (like washing the dishes - although if I've said I will, I'll do it).

-People tend to view me as very withdrawn, but even so some people in my university classes have actively tried to make friends with me (even though I rarely accept invitations to do things).

-I have many goals I want to reach in my lifetime and I always feel like I'm running out of time.

-When people I know have had mental illnesses, I've learnt very quickly how to manage their behaviour so they don't harm themselves or others.

-When I was young, I used to be a complete pushover and couldn't say no, but I'm very firm in my decisions nowadays.

ScottJames

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You're an INFJ.

http://www.personalitypage.com/INFJ.html

INFJs who are particularly shy, stressed, insecure, etc. can commonly be mistyped as INTP. This is because they'll tend to stay in their preferred realm (introverted) and rely heavily on their introverted processes, Introverted iNtuition and Introverted Thinking. The Ni primary function often results in a false P and the Ti tertiary function often results in false T.