Thread: E/I EZTYPE

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Default E/I EZTYPE

I don't think I can be fully MBTI'd at this point in my life because the system is made for people who are more healthy and in touch with themselves, but telling introversion from extraversion alone hopefully shouldn't be like pulling teeth. What are some key diferences between a true introvert and an extravert who just spent much of their life alone out of social whackness (it's getting better, though...)? Especially if both are heart triad or so-first or second?
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so

I think it comes down to how much interaction with others would you really want with others if you could have your ideal life? There are a lot of disillusioned extroverts out there who would actually want a lot of interaction with others but can't find suitable people to interact with and there are a lot of introverts out there who "act" like extroverts because they think that's what it takes to be successful or "normal." But if you could have your ideal circumstances, would you prefer having more social time or more alone time?

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Honor View Post
    But if you could have your ideal circumstances, would you prefer having more social time or more alone time?
    Plenty of colorful social activity punctuated with a day or two at a time to myself, but there would definitely be more of the former. I don't need a reason to go out. Why do that? Why does anyone need to know that? Why go there? How much is that worth? What does it mean? I often can't answer those questions in words and feel dumb when I am expected to, just knowing that participating and trying stuff is worth itself. I identify with my actions above all else, and if I haven't interacted with people or outer things in too long, I start to to know less who I am. I have plenty of ideas, plenty of thoughts, colorful worlds and shiny alternate lives inside, but they're not real. They're not knowledge or identity, even if they can keep me entertained and drugged on them for years if need be. That's how I've been through almost every single MBTI type before suspending the effort: getting into the stuff while isolated. Having reasoning and inspiration galore, but nothing I can actually believe in as conclusive until it's been lived.

So your question was easy to answer; as you can guess from above, I just never imagined my ideals were informative of real personality type until they'd made it outside into my behavior. That's a rigid way to look at type, though, now that I read my shit over. I'm open to anything here!
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so

Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    Plenty of colorful social activity punctuated with a day or two at a time to myself, but there would definitely be more of the former. I don't need a reason to go out. Why do that? Why does anyone need to know that? Why go there? How much is that worth? What does it mean? I often can't answer those questions in words and feel dumb when I am expected to, just knowing that participating and trying stuff is worth itself. I identify with my actions above all else, and if I haven't interacted with people or outer things in too long, I start to to know less who I am. I have plenty of ideas, plenty of thoughts, colorful worlds and shiny alternate lives inside, but they're not real. They're not knowledge or identity, even if they can keep me entertained and drugged on them for years if need be. That's how I've been through almost every single MBTI type before suspending the effort: getting into the stuff while isolated. Having reasoning and inspiration galore, but nothing I can actually believe in as conclusive until it's been lived.

So your question was easy to answer; as you can guess from above, I just never imagined my ideals were informative of real personality type until they'd made it outside into my behavior. That's a rigid way to look at type, though, now that I read my shit over. I'm open to anything here!
    Well, the thing is you do have to factor in your ideal situation because we all have to modify our behavior to make our lives work in whatever environments we find ourselves in. Those adaptations can make us look like we're a type we're not. You strike me as more of an extrovert than an introvert, btw

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Big difference between social extraversion and cognitive extraversion. The two often overlap but do not have to. The answer to cognitive intro/extraversion - MBTI intro/extraversion - is how much attention you pay to your internal landscape, versus how much attention you pay to you external landscape. As a cognitive extravert, I spend more of my attention focusing on stimuli outside of my mind. As a cognitive introvert, my boyfriend spends more of his attention focusing on thoughts triggered within his mind.

Image isn't mine, but it's accurate.

So a socially introverted cognitive extravert like myself still spends most of their time contemplating things outside themself and responding to stimuli outside themself - whereas a cognitive introvert will spend most of their time contemplating thoughts they're turning around within themself and responding to stimuli created within themself.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    So a socially introverted cognitive extravert like myself still spends most of their time contemplating things outside themself and responding to stimuli outside themself - whereas a cognitive introvert will spend most of their time contemplating thoughts they're turning around within themself and responding to stimuli created within themself.
    So, a socially extraverted cognitive introvert can be all about pursuing outer stimuli for the responses it stirs up inside them and the inner purposes it serves?
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

So, a socially extraverted cognitive introvert can be all about pursuing outer stimuli for the responses it stirs up inside them and the inner purposes it serves?
    Hm, I can't claim to know for sure, that does sound like it could work. I don't know about "all about" pursuing external stimuli, but they could certainly be into external information. I know my boyfriend as a Si dominant is a voracious collector of external information, as are essentially all Ni dominants I have ever run across. They process it differently than me, though, making internal contructs... or like, internal data points, like "this is a mother" (Si/Ne internal construct of a mother / characteristics that identify a mother) or "this is the performance of mothering" (Ni/Se construct of mothering / mother-pattern archetype), as opposed to how Ne would work, seeing a mother and then making the external connections to historical mother figures, religious mother figures, Mother's Day, mother vs. father, baby stuff, what one's mother is like and associations with one's mother, etc. But as a side note, it often seems to me like IxxJs tend to have certain specific areas of interest, and they tend to go deeply into those areas and really flesh out their knowledge, whereas most other types are a little more broad - and of course IxxPs are technically Judging first, so they tend to be less motivated by pure information gathering and more motivated by usage of logic (Ti dom) or value (Fi dom).

When I think of socially extraverted cognitive introverts, I think about introverts, often INFJ, ISFJ, ISFP, and sometimes ISTP, who don't tend to be as shy about socially engaging - usually the IxFJs because Fe helps them have a good sense of appropriate interaction and because as Js they tend to have some kind of agenda/purposeful plan of action, and usually the ISxPs because they're pretty laid-back and get a kick out of following Se lines of external potential, which can involve engaging other people. I think when cognitive introverts are social extraverts, it's often because of the influence of the extraverted auxiliary function. INxxs in general probably feel less drive to be social because they tend to get the most pleasure from entertaining mental concepts and theories while IxTxs in general probably feel less drive to be social because they don't have the Fe sense of influence/connection or the Fi desire to empathize.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

I know my boyfriend as a Si dominant is a voracious collector of external information, as are essentially all Ni dominants I have ever run across. They process it differently than me, though, making internal contructs... or like, internal data points, like "this is a mother" (Si/Ne internal construct of a mother / characteristics that identify a mother) or "this is the performance of mothering" (Ni/Se construct of mothering / mother-pattern archetype), as opposed to how Ne would work, seeing a mother and then making the external connections to historical mother figures, religious mother figures, Mother's Day, mother vs. father, baby stuff, what one's mother is like and associations with one's mother, etc.
    How about Se, if you're familiar?

But as a side note, it often seems to me like IxxJs tend to have certain specific areas of interest, and they tend to go deeply into those areas and really flesh out their knowledge, whereas most other types are a little more broad - and of course IxxPs are technically Judging first, so they tend to be less motivated by pure information gathering and more motivated by usage of logic (Ti dom) or value (Fi dom).
    That's why I've been doubting being any sort of J-dom, and what I meant with all the "why" questions earlier. I'm too inclined to run free of evaluation, and it's not all good. Example: I wouldn't make a good movie critic because I can find something enjoyable or at least amusing to latch onto in every show. When I was a kid, I always lost at "You Laugh, You Lose". It closes in: you can't just see the good in everyone; eventually you have to call somebody wrong to have any real moral solidity or, for that matter, safe boundaries at all. You need to define who is most important to you and work on those relationships because you know. For others' sake, sometimes you have to be able to explain why you did something. You need a reference for worth that goes beyond color, taste, sound, and motion (those enticing attributes of the imagination and reality). Ideas need to be refined to be useful, not just numerous. Very much transitioning right now and catching up on security in life.

INxxs in general probably feel less drive to be social because they tend to get the most pleasure from entertaining mental concepts and theories while IxTxs in general probably feel less drive to be social because they don't have the Fe sense of influence/connection or the Fi desire to empathize.
    IXTX parents just don't understand.
    Will+Smith+willsmith.jpg
    Bless their souls. My siblings and I were all Fs.
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

How about Se, if you're familiar?
    Meh, it's my worst function. As far as I understand, it'd be something along the lines of recognizing the real-time, concrete person "my mother", whoever she may be - as opposed to some abstract conception of "a mother" - and some present-time physical detail about her presence, and then regarding action potentials that run along with that, like how your mother is influencing the environment, how it's influencing her, how your presence is an influence on her and your shared environment, and sort of how you can move on from there, like the different sensory potentials that situation offers, including how you can get the most concrete impact out of that scenario... probably a poor description, but it's a shot.

That's why I've been doubting being any sort of J-dom, and what I meant with all the "why" questions earlier. I'm too inclined to run free of evaluation, and it's not all good. Example: I wouldn't make a good movie critic because I can find something enjoyable or at least amusing to latch onto in every show. When I was a kid, I always lost at "You Laugh, You Lose". It closes in: you can't just see the good in everyone; eventually you have to call somebody wrong to have any real moral solidity or, for that matter, safe boundaries at all. You need to define who is most important to you and work on those relationships because you know. For others' sake, sometimes you have to be able to explain why you did something. You need a reference for worth that goes beyond color, taste, sound, and motion (those enticing attributes of the imagination and reality). Ideas need to be refined to be useful, not just numerous. Very much transitioning right now and catching up on security in life.
    ESFP?

IXTX parents just don't understand.
    Bless their souls. My siblings and I were all Fs.
    Yeah, sometimes genetics is a trip.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

As far as I understand, it'd be something along the lines of recognizing the real-time, concrete person "my mother", whoever she may be - as opposed to some abstract conception of "a mother" - and some present-time physical detail about her presence,
    This is the part that resonates with me most.

ESFP?
    What is your favorite place for type info? I often want to read about ESFP because, for whatever it's worth, I get the result on tests often, but Se dominant types just elude descriptions with much dimension or consideration of other functions at work. How they're not intellectually engaged, they don't daydream, they don't worry, they're totally uninterested in fiction, they never think about what's going on...it doesn't seem realistic.
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff