12 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Default OrangeAppled's Instinctual Stacking

It was not hard for me to identify my instinctual stack initially, yet I find myself questioning it now when I hear other people talk about SP-doms.

I identify as sp/sx with a major so blindspot, FYI. I'm open to being so-dom though, but I'd need a compelling argument.

-When I think of the instincts through the lens of my core type's fixation (e4), then I easily see myself as SP-dom. I'm indulgent, pampering myself, like to feel in control of my physical state & be independent. I may avoid people so as not to have to compromise my preferences to accomodate theirs. However, I also forget to eat, have trouble keeping any consistent schedule for physical needs, need reminders from others to care for practical things (ie. auto maintenance), am unaware of safety concerns, and find little comfort in acquiring "stuff". I get an urge to get rid of my possessions on occasion because they "bog me down".

- When I'm out of work it can occupy my mind almost as much as when I'm single & obsessed with finding a partner. This is because I don't like to be a burden on others & like to have the power to obtain my own needs. Once I have work, I may sabotage my security in it, leaving myself open to being fired (which never happens though; I find a way to appear indispensable).

- I can be "reckless" in that I don't care for my own physical welfare sometimes, deliberately doing things I know are bad for me (nothing extreme, I promise). I may eat foods which trigger my GERD, drink too much alcohol, sleep too much/little, drive a bit reckless, pick at my skin mindlessly til I "cause" acne right before an important event (mostly broke this habit, but still pops up), drink coffee til I shake - stuff like that.

-Naranjo's e4 SP-dom sounds like me more than his e4 sx-dom or so-dom (but not overwhelmingly so). I can certainly whine like any self-disrespecting e4, but apparently not enough to have a rep for it in person, and the SP-dom is supposedly the least open about their unfulfilled needs & the most envy denying. It took me awhile to admit envy in myself or needing. I used to try & hide my feelings as much as possible. People still see me as tight-lipped about my feelings in person, much more like Naranjo's masochistic, burden-bearing SP-dom 4 (the so-dom is the whiniest & most passive, the sx-dom the most openly burning with envy).

- Most sp/sx descriptions sound like me as a whole, but many sp descriptions on their own do not. Sp descriptions tied directly to 4 sound like me too.

- Sx/sp descriptions sound very close to me also, but I don't regard myself as attracting/repelling as strongly or being as extreme as an sx-dom is often made out to be. I'm decidedly more aloof & less pursuing of my desires. I won't throw caution to the wind. I don't like being too vulnerable, but more so in an emotional sense. What has sometimes prevented me from being impulsive is a higher sense of morality which goes beyond my own self-value (ie. God, respect for human life, my family etc). I consider this good except that I don't honestly value my own welfare enough.

Have I stacked myself correctly? :P
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Come on. You're totally Sp/Sx.

Anyway, Sp often has bland and generic descriptions that are very limited in scope. Most representations of the instincts tend to be on the shady side but at least Sx and So have meaningful things written about them. I always feel like I'm only getting the superficial picture when people talk about Sp. I don't know if that's a factor...
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I've just felt like I've been arguing for some definition of SP that only I see. It's made me think, "Wait, maybe I'm the one getting it wrong".
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I've just felt like I've been arguing for some definition of SP that only I see. It's made me think, "Wait, maybe I'm the one getting it wrong".
    No. People spout a lot of stuff about the instincts and much of it has to be taken with a cup of salt - it's the hardest thing to type and describe IMO. I wouldn't doubt your own view of your (plainly obvious) subtype

Out of interest, how would you define Sp?
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Something like my OP. A mix of indulgence & control. Using physical things & a sense of autonomy to self-soothe, but having it veer into sabotage instead when unhealthy. Keeping people at arm's length to maintain control of your own needs. Stuff like that.

Something like my OP. A mix of indulgence & control. Using physical things & a sense of autonomy to self-soothe, but having it veer into sabotage instead when unhealthy. Keeping people at arm's length to maintain control of your own needs. Stuff like that.
    That all sounds like classic sp to me.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Sounds right to me (and already more interesting than most descriptions).

I think often there's too much focus on the physical/security aspect, without connecting it to an internal motivation beyond a basic desire for comfort and safety. That is always going to distance dominant users because they're not consciously obsessed with those aspects. For me it's like hearing how So is about hierarchy, prestige, and generally being a social butterfly, and I think, WTF I don't give a damn about that stuff. It's just the most shallow interpretation of the instinct and that's alienating.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

- Emily Bronte

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

It does sound like sp/sx to me. FWIW, I don't identify with a lot of descriptions of sp/sx and wonder if I'm more sx/sp.

I do have a lot of similarities to what you described. There can be a strange tension between sp and sx for me. Unsettling.

MBTI
    Ne
    Enneagram
    468 sx/so
    Socionics
    :-( None

@OrangeAppled
    Hi, I've seen you around on several forums, so thought I'd give you a friendly Hello.

I can identify with much you have written here myself, though I type as sp-last (I did originally type as sp/sx, though--and I see myself in the 4 instincts about equally). I too fit the criteria of Naranjo’s sp4--tenacious, stoic, and able to endure anything. I don't reach out easily or share my burdens. I can indulge and neglect myself in equal parts …etc. Of course! I’m a four! I’m also likely Fi-dom, which is just going to make outward stoicism stronger; I’m also 8 and 6 fixed, so I’m big on self-protection, with a reckless edge (I think I heard you say you don’t go in for tritype, but I find it extremely apt in my case). So it’s worth considering which facets of your personality correspond to what, and what overlaps, and why.

As I’m sure you know, it’s most important to check motivations--what brings out your 4ness? Self-pres issues? Sexual? Social? I find that I’m most 4ish in regards to other people--I can’t think of a single time that an sp issue set me off in that manner. If anything, sp worries have sparked 6ish reactions…never a 4 reaction. Sx issues, on the other hand, set off total rejection as well as feelings of deprivation, torment, jealousy, and hatred. Anyway, that was what I found most helpful in determining my stacking, so I thought I’d pass along the word (I’m still open to discussion on it, incidentally).

It also helped me to think of which area was “most comfortable” to me (i.e., the secondary instinct)--I tend to have a lot of fun with social issues and enjoy screwing with everyone’s expectations; I’m also very keen on the news, social issues, world affairs, and human interactions, which is why I type as soc-second. It’s not an area where I get overly “neurotic”. (Of course, as a 4w5, I do see myself in most descriptions of the social blindspot.) Is there a sphere which is more comfortable to you in that regard? It could be your secondary instinct.

I also found it instructive to observe sp-firsts in determining it as my blindspot. People of the dominant instinct you lack...really can be annoying. I find myself constantly thinking, "Why do you care about this?" "Stop messing around!" "WHO CARES???" "Nothing bad will happen!" every time an sp-first starts getting neurotic on me. Social and sx issues don't set this off to nearly the same degree--I even tend to commiserate. Your blindspot will grate you.

Just some food for thought.

^Your description of sp-firsts in your last paragraph is more sp 6. I'm sp-first and I don't "worry" about something "bad" happening. I think instincts need to be looked at in relation to your core type.