User Tag List

123 Last

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Default Paying to be typed

I've come across several professional services for determining your type. I'm thinking about doing it, so I can know for sure. I'd have to believe the methods used were credible and reliable though. Do you think this is a good idea? And if so, who would you recommend and why?

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

If you like personality prostitution, sure.

I really dislike the idea of paying for this. If it is so important; make it free. I remember having an argument with the NF geeks and they suggested the official test because they disagreed with ISFJ as my self typing.

They said it was worth the money, I said it was worth more than money.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

I'll type you for money, how much are you willing to pay me?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

Hmm, depending on the price I might pay just because the results might be interesting. But if it was my first time being typed ever I'd prefer the joy of figuring it out by myself. It's more worth it to recognize yourself what your strengths/weaknesses are instead of having a test tell you what they are. I feel a little hypocritical in saying that since I discovered MBTI/Enneagram through tests but I made sure to do the research afterwards!
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Well I've taken the test before, and I know it's just a more extreme version of the ones on the internet. Most of the time they use methods external to the tests, which is what I am looking for. The test just gives a tentative result, to be verified by you and the practitioner. I think I could figure it out myself if I could just get clear on the cognitive functions; but most of them look the same to me, and sometimes I think I see what I want to see in myself. And I need to be able to identify them in my thought process, behavior, and characteristics, which is the difficult part- translating the abstract and conceptual into the concrete and back again.

Ok, I'm pretty sure I'm XNTP. But I want to be absolutely certain in my unending quest for truth, ruling out every other possibility beyond the shadow of a doubt.

In particular, the N and S functions look pretty similar to me, and I know my preference is not strong on any of the letters. The differences between Te and Ti and Fe and Fi are clear to me conceptually, but I'm not always sure I can identify them in people- and I don't really understand Fi most of the time. Which tells me it's not in my top 4, but I could be mistaken.

Maybe a better idea would be to get certified myself, so I know this stuff and what to look for. Hopefully I don't have to be a practicing psychologist or have a degree. Maybe I can find it all out on my own.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

$20 dollars

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

Hmm, well what I said in my post is more of what I would have done, which is probably influenced by the fact that I don't have a doubt in my mind about what my type is and just doing the research was a satisfactory way for meto figure it out. But if you do have doubts about what your type is and you've done your share of looking at the background info you might as well use all possible resources available to help you figure out your type! Honestly I would trust a test I pay for more than a free online test assuming that everything passes the whole reliability & validity thing. But if it's both verified by you and the practitioner that should definitely provide some insight about your type. And there seems to be no harm in doing it so why not? Also how pricey is it? I want to say go for it but I don't want to say empty your wallet.
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

Enneagram
    N/A

I paid once (when I didn't realize I could do this on my own). I used interpersonality to do it. They sort of teach you the functions by having you watch various videos so you can determine a type yourself. That part costs money, but having the person actually type you was optional... technically, I was paying to learn about the functions. ...I hope I am not wrong on the details... but yeah.

So when I got typed at first I was like "Cool, something objective about me is known," but then after like a few days I felt like nothing was truly revealed to me; It's like having a name that you don't feel like it is yours. This is not to bash on the typists ...I just didn't find it fulfilling (although at least now I can narrow things down a bit ...if I still want to stick a label on me xD)

The way I approach such matter, it isn't enough to pay just one person to type you because I feel like different typists might have different opinions or learned different methods ...the same way we all have different opinions/learned different methods. But that shouldn't stop you from getting just one professional opinion if you really want it.

....so just to tell you my subjective opinion (...just in case it's useful), I'd rather have a conversation with a typists and have them explain to me how they think typing works (and then they can thrown in their opinion on my type). I could have asked questions when I was typed... but ...I didn't think of doing that at the time. Stupid, Silly, Sucks for me =P

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

$15

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

It's not worth it. I took the official MBTI because my college CDO offered it for free, and it's not really that different than the free tests on similair minds. Just take those and save yourself the money.

For what it's worth, I think you're an xNTP, greenfairy.

I suppose what you would need to determine is whether you use Ne or Ni.

Can you juggle multiple possibilities at one time? Ni is rather conclusive, Ne seems to entertain doubts. Ni sort of imagines what something will look like, as far as I can tell. Ne has a playfulness and "randomness" to it, it's in flux, and can even recognize that, rather than having some singular imaginative vision of what something could be.

Doubting your type like you are seems rather Ne, not Ni. It could be that your enneagram is what's throwing things off.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78