• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Paying to be typed

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've come across several professional services for determining your type. I'm thinking about doing it, so I can know for sure. I'd have to believe the methods used were credible and reliable though. Do you think this is a good idea? And if so, who would you recommend and why?

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
If you like personality prostitution, sure.

I really dislike the idea of paying for this. If it is so important; make it free. I remember having an argument with the NF geeks and they suggested the official test because they disagreed with ISFJ as my self typing.

They said it was worth the money, I said it was worth more than money.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'll type you for money, how much are you willing to pay me?

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Hmm, depending on the price I might pay just because the results might be interesting. But if it was my first time being typed ever I'd prefer the joy of figuring it out by myself. :shrug: It's more worth it to recognize yourself what your strengths/weaknesses are instead of having a test tell you what they are. I feel a little hypocritical in saying that since I discovered MBTI/Enneagram through tests but I made sure to do the research afterwards!

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well I've taken the test before, and I know it's just a more extreme version of the ones on the internet. Most of the time they use methods external to the tests, which is what I am looking for. The test just gives a tentative result, to be verified by you and the practitioner. I think I could figure it out myself if I could just get clear on the cognitive functions; but most of them look the same to me, and sometimes I think I see what I want to see in myself. And I need to be able to identify them in my thought process, behavior, and characteristics, which is the difficult part- translating the abstract and conceptual into the concrete and back again.

Ok, I'm pretty sure I'm XNTP. But I want to be absolutely certain in my unending quest for truth, ruling out every other possibility beyond the shadow of a doubt.

In particular, the N and S functions look pretty similar to me, and I know my preference is not strong on any of the letters. The differences between Te and Ti and Fe and Fi are clear to me conceptually, but I'm not always sure I can identify them in people- and I don't really understand Fi most of the time. Which tells me it's not in my top 4, but I could be mistaken.

Maybe a better idea would be to get certified myself, so I know this stuff and what to look for. Hopefully I don't have to be a practicing psychologist or have a degree. Maybe I can find it all out on my own.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
$20 dollars

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Hmm, well what I said in my post is more of what I would have done, which is probably influenced by the fact that I don't have a doubt in my mind about what my type is and just doing the research was a satisfactory way for meto figure it out. But if you do have doubts about what your type is and you've done your share of looking at the background info you might as well use all possible resources available to help you figure out your type! Honestly I would trust a test I pay for more than a free online test assuming that everything passes the whole reliability & validity thing. But if it's both verified by you and the practitioner that should definitely provide some insight about your type. And there seems to be no harm in doing it so why not? :newwink: Also how pricey is it? I want to say go for it but I don't want to say empty your wallet.

thoughtlost

Honeyed Water
Enneagram
N/A
I paid once (when I didn't realize I could do this on my own). I used interpersonality to do it. They sort of teach you the functions by having you watch various videos so you can determine a type yourself. That part costs money, but having the person actually type you was optional... technically, I was paying to learn about the functions. ...I hope I am not wrong on the details... but yeah.

So when I got typed at first I was like "Cool, something objective about me is known," but then after like a few days I felt like nothing was truly revealed to me; It's like having a name that you don't feel like it is yours. This is not to bash on the typists ...I just didn't find it fulfilling (although at least now I can narrow things down a bit ...if I still want to stick a label on me xD)

The way I approach such matter, it isn't enough to pay just one person to type you because I feel like different typists might have different opinions or learned different methods ...the same way we all have different opinions/learned different methods. But that shouldn't stop you from getting just one professional opinion if you really want it.

....so just to tell you my subjective opinion (...just in case it's useful), I'd rather have a conversation with a typists and have them explain to me how they think typing works (and then they can thrown in their opinion on my type). I could have asked questions when I was typed... but ...I didn't think of doing that at the time. Stupid, Silly, Sucks for me =P

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It's not worth it. I took the official MBTI because my college CDO offered it for free, and it's not really that different than the free tests on similair minds. Just take those and save yourself the money.

For what it's worth, I think you're an xNTP, greenfairy.

I suppose what you would need to determine is whether you use Ne or Ni.

Can you juggle multiple possibilities at one time? Ni is rather conclusive, Ne seems to entertain doubts. Ni sort of imagines what something will look like, as far as I can tell. Ne has a playfulness and "randomness" to it, it's in flux, and can even recognize that, rather than having some singular imaginative vision of what something could be.

Doubting your type like you are seems rather Ne, not Ni. It could be that your enneagram is what's throwing things off.

93JC

"Professional services"? As the old saying goes, there's a sucker born every minute.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
For what it's worth, I think you're an xNTP, greenfairy.

I suppose what you would need to determine is whether you use Ne or Ni.

Can you juggle multiple possibilities at one time? Ni is rather conclusive, Ne seems to entertain doubts. Ni sort of imagines what something will look like, as far as I can tell. Ne has a playfulness and "randomness" to it, it's in flux, and can even recognize that, rather than having some singular imaginative vision of what something could be.

Doubting your type like you are seems rather Ne, not Ni. It could be that your enneagram is what's throwing things off.
I think it's worth something, as you are INTP. Thanks.

Hmm...I usually like to get an idea of what I see in the future, but I am acutely aware of infinite possibilities. To the point where I don't think I can be certain of anything. But I'm pretty good at reading energy patterns and seeing little bits of the picture of the future. Whatever the case is, I think both of my N functions are well developed.

As for Enneagram, I haven't yet researched it in depth, but I was typed by others as 9, and it fits pretty well. And yes, I remember it says 9's tend to be a combination of every other number and generally are confused about who they are.

Thanks for the responses. I'll find the links to a couple of places I was going to look into. I just thought maybe they could give me skills for identifying the functions in people beyond what I could find on the internet, and have insight into my personality which I wouldn't see. Maybe not though, because I know myself better than anyone, and I think I'm more objective about it than many people.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I payed 60 dollars to be typed as an INFP.

I read Dario Nardi and realized I am the Fi dom (IxFP) but am quicker to action and less adept at deep listening than the INFP; the ISFP is quicker to do and shorter to listen.

I'd pay someone in person to confirm that, I guess. Probably that person would be Dario Nardi, though, not MBTI, cuz they'd probably just say INFP again.

It's funny because in Keirsey I also relate more to the Artisan temperament. As a child, I was always singing and dancing, choreographing things with my friends, making tapes singing, decorating, loved art class, went into talent shows...I completely comprise the Artisan child and young adult, but simply have the humanitarian impulse of the Jungian Fi dom, which most people confuse for being "NF" and I actually blame Keirsey for this, ironically.

On a deeper read, though, I'm not human resources, I'm entertainment and hands on maintenance. It's what I do.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Am I the only one who misread the thread title as praying to be typed?

Yeah, I have paid money to take the official MBTI. I managed to get a discount and only had to pay about $20 but it didn't tell me what I didn't already know about myself. Bascially, I just let my curiosity get the best of me.

Mole

Permabanned
Mbti is simply a fraud.

But if you are genuinely interested in having your personality measured, see a university qualified psychometrician.

G

garbage

I did it for shits and giggles. Wound up with the thing that some people think I am and that halfway fits, so I can't complain

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yeah, now that I've observed you a little more closely, I think you are an xNTP for sure, greenfairy. How did you come to doubt that?

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
At least personally, I wouldn't bother unless it were by someone highly qualified and respected. Otherwise you can obtain most of the information to make that call for free. And personally, I'm not ready to drop the kind of money it would take to get that typing from the level of person I'd want it from.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
I think xNTP fits. *mails invoice* :D As a psych major, I took the official MBTI so many times that I was almost ready to pay people to stop typing me! :overreact: ;)

Seriously, I really do think xNTP fits though.

The insights you gain on your own are worth much more than money. Remember that MBTI is about preferences, not traits. You know your preferences better than anyone else could.