• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Should-ing All Over Life: Fe?

Tabula

MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I've seen it mentioned more than once that having a case of the chronic shoulds is mostly an Fe-related affliction--SFJ in particular. I know I definitely suffer from it myself, but there's a part of it that makes me [again, for the 21304283rd time], question myself and my type.

Assuming Fe is my aux, applying shoulds/operating on the basis of implicit shoulds to inter/personal situations should (hehe) be a natural and egosyntonic behavior, yes? I guess it wouldn't be 100% of the time, 'cause I'm a human and stuff. But still. I'm wondering about other SFJs and their relationship with their shoulds.

Maybe an example is called for?

I work in childcare. Experiencing conflict between what I think I "should"/am supposed to do and what I think is the most reasonable or right thing to do is a daily occurrence for me at my job.

Example:

Let's say Tommy is playing "outer space." He takes a bunch of toys and starts throwing them across the room--"shooting stars!" he says. I SHOULD tell him to stop throwing the toys. I'm supposed to tell him to stop throwing toys. My ESFJ co-worker is immediately yelling from across the room, telling him to sit at the table and play with the toys. I know this. I feel this. But I want to encourage his imagination. He's not hurting anyone, he's not breaking anything, and he's enjoying himself. I feel pressure to tell him to stop, even though I personally don't believe he needs to.

This is a constant problem for me in my life. Not just at work, but everywhere. What does it mean? Am I still SFJ because I can RECOGNIZE the "supposed to's" in line with Teh Unspoken Rulez of Life and feel pressure to enforce/behave in accordance with them even when I don't agree with them? I don't mean to insult any SFJs by indirectly saying they mindlessly agree with and follow every rule all the time, either. I guess I'm not sure how to explain what I mean here. Hopefully someone understands what I'm getting at... kinda?

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I experience this alot too. Especially at work. I don't think what you say is limited to any one particular type. I do see it as more of a tension between different functions with different agendas. In your example, I think it's either a Te vs Fi tension or a Fe vs Fi tension. Je functions seem more concerned with external shoulds.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Nah, Fe's just have certain kinds of shoulds.... People would be all over the place and scattered in their heads without their shoulds... Maybe P's have less than J's

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I probably lack shoulds. At least shoulds that I am not joking about.

G

Glycerine

I have a lot of social "shoulds" with people... I have been told that I am weird and uptight about boundaries but then I disregard the boundaries if i just don't care or I want to mess with people. eNFJ btw.

Another ENFJ I know tries to live his life "without boundaries" because he sees society as restrictive.

My ESFJ dad is only really concerned about "shoulds" in a group setting but one on one he really doesn't care.

My INFP mom is the most uptight about "shoulds" on a personal level.

My ISFP friend doesn't seem to really define her life in terms of "shoulds" in social or personal contexts.

Saying that, it seems to be a very individual thing.