User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5
    Socionics
    INTp
    Posts
    5

    Default Please help type my family!!

    I posted this on Personality Café, but didn't have any takers. It is long seeming, but you don't have to read the entire thing if you don't want to. I have an idea what personality type all of my family members are, but I'm new to typing, so I'd like to have someone who is more experienced confirm/deny my guesses. Of course, you don't know these people, so a description might not be enough, but I tried to include the dominant parts of their personality. If you ever need more info, just ask.

    I know this is a freaking novel, so feel free to just type one or two people

    Without further ado... my wacky family:

    Person 1- Very emotional. Believes in utmost respect for authority. Very religious. Wants peace and quiet, and can't deal with noisy restaurants, stores, etc. Needs to pack for vacations a week in advance to feel comfortable and forces other family members to do so. Has trouble deviating from her values even when clearly wrong. Often is unable to comprehend opposing points of view. Not good at school, but has a fairly good memory. Good at listening/talking to others about feelings. Loves being in nature. Loves shopping and fashion unlike the other female, person 3. Needs to be at home and relaxing for the night by 8:00, at the latest. Thus, always the first one to leave a party. Extraordinarily tidy and expects the same from others.

    Person 2- Constantly forcing others to watch him or listen to him. Not good at mathematics, sciences, or foreign langages, but does enjoy (and is decently good at) geography and history. Prone to anxiety. Gets irrationally angry at others. Disturbs other family members when they are napping, watching TV, or don't want to talk. Always wants attention. Conspiracy theorist. Gets on a soapbox frequently. General pain in the ass. Somewhat of a hoarder.

    Person 3- Strongly dislikes person 2. Very musical. Hates small talk. Can anticipate questions and answer them before the other person finishes asking it. Loves building projects, but doesn't usually finish. Checks out lots of nonfiction library books about math, psychology, science, and languages. Can be very sensitive to criticism. Frequently daydreams or thinks. Atheist. Enjoys spontaneity, chaos, and adventure. Very indecisive. Enjoys making plans without intention of ever using them. Can be absentminded (misplacing things, zoning out), but nevertheless has a good grasp on the surrounding world and does enjoy knowing random facts and has a good memory for details (is the go-to person for remembering a restaurant name from years before, or something of that sort). Female but hates clothing shopping and fashion. Can get emotional but nowhere close to Person 1, or the majority of other girls. Loves to tinker and do fix-it jobs. Likes and is equally strong at all school subjects. Empathizes with others but doesn't like talking about emotions and is not good at comforting or consoling others. Generally happy, humorous, and optimistic, but can get annoyed and occasionally engage in arguments when dealing with someone she doesn't like (most commonly with Person 2). Doesn't like to back down from arguments, and needs to get "point across" and make sure everyone knows who is right. Enjoys spending time with friends but prefers being alone over socializing with unknown people. Room is in constant state of disarray.

    Person 4- Engineer. Can get so focused on work that he often won't be able to hear a person calling his name (and might not process that someone has been calling until several minutes later). Frequently engages in the small talk that Person 3 hates. Likes planning things. Often calls people by incorrect names, is unable to remember basic facts, mispronounces things frequently (without noticing). Absentminded professor. Will work at a math problem until it is finished, even if it takes a very long time. Has strange associations (can't hear the word "Jet" without singing Benny and the Jets for the next 30 minutes, and COUNTLESS other similar examples. I don't know if this is at all relavant to personality or if this is just an example of him being weird. I know we all do that occasionally, but for him, it's at least a daily occurrence, if not multiple times each day. It's bizarre, and Person 1, especially, hates it). Avoids arguments, and tries to settle the frequent conflicts between Person 2 and Person 3. Mostly tidy.

    Person 5- Engineer. Very smart. Can be very strange and occasionally says things that don't make much sense. Can be very oblivious, similar to Person 4 (and to an extent, person 3). Atheist. Very chill, but hardworking if necessary. Enjoys building things alongside Person 3, perhaps is slightly more likely to finish. Not at all artistic. Generally not argumentative, but can get very annoyed quickly when people "don't comprehend what he says" even if it was extremely cryptic and perhaps came out as something completely different than what he thought he said (there have been numerous occasions where he vehemently denied saying something that the rest of the room was certain he said). Is generally very responsible and tidy and gets work done.

    These descriptions don't do the insanity of my family justice :P. Anyway, thanks if you actually read this and respond. I do have a guess for each person (including myself, person 3), and I'd like to see if people with a deeper knowledge of MBTI (and cognitive functions) agree. Of course, a 1 paragraph description isn't going to give a perfect result... but I still think this will give a fairly accurate result, and help hone my own ability at typing (and give me an idea what I am). If you want more info on any person, just post, I know pretty much everything about these people..

  2. #2
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,993

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oacljv View Post
    I posted this on Personality Café, but didn't have any takers. It is long seeming, but you don't have to read the entire thing if you don't want to. I have an idea what personality type all of my family members are, but I'm new to typing, so I'd like to have someone who is more experienced confirm/deny my guesses. Of course, you don't know these people, so a description might not be enough, but I tried to include the dominant parts of their personality. If you ever need more info, just ask.

    I know this is a freaking novel, so feel free to just type one or two people

    Without further ado... my wacky family:

    Person 1- Very emotional. Believes in utmost respect for authority. Very religious. Wants peace and quiet, and can't deal with noisy restaurants, stores, etc. Needs to pack for vacations a week in advance to feel comfortable and forces other family members to do so. Has trouble deviating from her values even when clearly wrong. Often is unable to comprehend opposing points of view. Not good at school, but has a fairly good memory. Good at listening/talking to others about feelings. Loves being in nature. Loves shopping and fashion unlike the other female, person 3. Needs to be at home and relaxing for the night by 8:00, at the latest. Thus, always the first one to leave a party. Extraordinarily tidy and expects the same from others.
    ISFJ

    Quote Originally Posted by oacljv View Post
    Person 2- Constantly forcing others to watch him or listen to him. Not good at mathematics, sciences, or foreign langages, but does enjoy (and is decently good at) geography and history. Prone to anxiety. Gets irrationally angry at others. Disturbs other family members when they are napping, watching TV, or don't want to talk. Always wants attention. Conspiracy theorist. Gets on a soapbox frequently. General pain in the ass. Somewhat of a hoarder.
    ISTJ

    Quote Originally Posted by oacljv View Post
    Person 3- Strongly dislikes person 2. Very musical. Hates small talk. Can anticipate questions and answer them before the other person finishes asking it. Loves building projects, but doesn't usually finish. Checks out lots of nonfiction library books about math, psychology, science, and languages. Can be very sensitive to criticism. Frequently daydreams or thinks. Atheist. Enjoys spontaneity, chaos, and adventure. Very indecisive. Enjoys making plans without intention of ever using them. Can be absentminded (misplacing things, zoning out), but nevertheless has a good grasp on the surrounding world and does enjoy knowing random facts and has a good memory for details (is the go-to person for remembering a restaurant name from years before, or something of that sort). Female but hates clothing shopping and fashion. Can get emotional but nowhere close to Person 1, or the majority of other girls. Loves to tinker and do fix-it jobs. Likes and is equally strong at all school subjects. Empathizes with others but doesn't like talking about emotions and is not good at comforting or consoling others. Generally happy, humorous, and optimistic, but can get annoyed and occasionally engage in arguments when dealing with someone she doesn't like (most commonly with Person 2). Doesn't like to back down from arguments, and needs to get "point across" and make sure everyone knows who is right. Enjoys spending time with friends but prefers being alone over socializing with unknown people. Room is in constant state of disarray.
    ISFP

    Quote Originally Posted by oacljv View Post
    Person 4- Engineer. Can get so focused on work that he often won't be able to hear a person calling his name (and might not process that someone has been calling until several minutes later). Frequently engages in the small talk that Person 3 hates. Likes planning things. Often calls people by incorrect names, is unable to remember basic facts, mispronounces things frequently (without noticing). Absentminded professor. Will work at a math problem until it is finished, even if it takes a very long time. Has strange associations (can't hear the word "Jet" without singing Benny and the Jets for the next 30 minutes, and COUNTLESS other similar examples. I don't know if this is at all relavant to personality or if this is just an example of him being weird. I know we all do that occasionally, but for him, it's at least a daily occurrence, if not multiple times each day. It's bizarre, and Person 1, especially, hates it). Avoids arguments, and tries to settle the frequent conflicts between Person 2 and Person 3. Mostly tidy.
    INTP

    Quote Originally Posted by oacljv View Post
    Person 5- Engineer. Very smart. Can be very strange and occasionally says things that don't make much sense. Can be very oblivious, similar to Person 4 (and to an extent, person 3). Atheist. Very chill, but hardworking if necessary. Enjoys building things alongside Person 3, perhaps is slightly more likely to finish. Not at all artistic. Generally not argumentative, but can get very annoyed quickly when people "don't comprehend what he says" even if it was extremely cryptic and perhaps came out as something completely different than what he thought he said (there have been numerous occasions where he vehemently denied saying something that the rest of the room was certain he said). Is generally very responsible and tidy and gets work done.
    INTJ

    Quote Originally Posted by oacljv View Post
    These descriptions don't do the insanity of my family justice :P. Anyway, thanks if you actually read this and respond. I do have a guess for each person (including myself, person 3), and I'd like to see if people with a deeper knowledge of MBTI (and cognitive functions) agree. Of course, a 1 paragraph description isn't going to give a perfect result... but I still think this will give a fairly accurate result, and help hone my own ability at typing (and give me an idea what I am). If you want more info on any person, just post, I know pretty much everything about these people..
    Got any more for me?
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5
    Socionics
    INTp
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Thanks so much for responding!

    Person 1- I agree.
    Person 2- He's DEFINITELY an Extrovert (which I didn't necessarily make clear in my description). I've always pegged him as an ESFP but he's quite enigmatic.
    Person 3- This is me, and I can NOT figure out my type. I might just have to settle for IxxP. Tests always tell me INTP, but I do think I have a well developed S and F side as well...
    Person 4- Maybe a J instead of a P.
    Person 5- Maybe a P instead of a J.

    I'll try to post a bit more later! (Maybe more info on myself and Person 2, or maybe one of my extended family members...)

  4. #4
    Retired Nicki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,512

    Default

    ISFJ
    ESFP with lots of inferior Ni
    ISFP with good Ni
    ENTP with very good Fe
    INTP
    I really like cats and food.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5
    Socionics
    INTp
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aleda View Post
    ISFJ
    ESFP with lots of inferior Ni
    ISFP with good Ni
    ENTP with very good Fe
    INTP
    Thanks for responding! I would agree with 1 and 2 for sure. I think I (3) could very well be an S or F (despite scoring INTP on the test), but the description for ISFP doesn't fit me extremely well. I *think* I'm a T just based on the fact that I know I am a P, and I don't think Introverted Feeling could be my leading function. As for the S/N difference, however, I'm really not sure about which one. 5, I agree with. 4, I'm not sure. 4 took a professional test a while back so I actually need to ask him what he ended up getting. I *think* it was INTJ, but I'm not totally sure. I think he leads with NT and the I/E and P/J are a bit more unclear.

  6. #6
    Retired Nicki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,512

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oacljv View Post
    Thanks for responding! I would agree with 1 and 2 for sure. I think I (3) could very be an S or F, but the description for ISFP doesn't fit me extremely well. I *think* I'm a T just based on the fact that I know I am a P, and I don't think Introverted Feeling could be my leading function. As for the S/N difference, however, I'm really not sure about which one. 5, I agree with. 4, I'm not sure. 4 took a professional test a while back so I actually need to ask him what he ended up getting. I *think* it was INTJ, but I'm not totally sure. I think he leads with NT and the I/E and P/J are a bit more unclear.
    No problem! Hmm, try not to pay much to the descriptions of SF types. They tend to be really biased and inaccurate. 4 seems like he could be an INTP 9 too but he definitely seems like he has inferior sensing.
    I really like cats and food.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5
    Socionics
    INTp
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aleda View Post
    No problem! Hmm, try not to pay much to the descriptions of SF types. They tend to be really biased and inaccurate. 4 seems like he could be an INTP 9 too but he definitely seems like he has inferior sensing.
    Yeah, part of the problem is that I've always been just as good, or even slightly better at school (including math and "abstract" things, SATs, grades, etc.) than both my brother and my dad (Person 4 and 5). The stereotype seems to be that Sensors aren't usually very smart, and that most brilliant people are Intuitive, so it's hard to reconcile that with the fact that I am most likely a Sensor and yet might actually be smarter than my N family members... Even if I do end up deciding that I prefer Intuition, my preference will be nowhere near as strong as theirs is... It's just a stereotype, of course, but looking up ISFP and having people act like it's one of the stupidest types is definitely disheartening. Also, another problem is that I believe my brother (person 2) is an ESFP, and I really, really, dislike him, and have a hard time believing that we could only be separated by our I/E difference. We are just way too different.

  8. #8
    Retired Nicki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,512

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oacljv View Post
    Yeah, part of the problem is that I've always been just as good, or even slightly better at school (including math and "abstract" things, SATs, grades, etc.) than both my brother and my dad (Person 4 and 5). The stereotype seems to be that Sensors aren't usually very smart, and that most brilliant people are Intuitive, so it's hard to reconcile that with the fact that I am most likely a Sensor and yet might actually be smarter than my N family members... Even if I do end up deciding that I prefer Intuition, my preference will be nowhere near as strong as theirs is... It's just a stereotype, of course, but looking up ISFP and having people act like it's one of the stupidest types is definitely disheartening. Also, another problem is that I believe my brother (person 2) is an ESFP, and I really, really, dislike him, and have a hard time believing that we could only be separated by our I/E difference. We are just way too different.
    I relate to you to a certain extent. It is disheartening when people think of ISFPs as stupid, I agree. Yeah, I'm nearly the same type as a lot of people I dislike but people of the same type can be very different. Eminem and Britney Spears are both ISFPs and they don't have much in common at all.
    I really like cats and food.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5
    Socionics
    INTp
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aleda View Post
    I relate to you to a certain extent. It is disheartening when people think of ISFPs as stupid, I agree. Yeah, I'm nearly the same type as a lot of people I dislike but people of the same type can be very different. Eminem and Britney Spears are both ISFPs and they don't have much in common at all.
    Yeah, I agree. Either way, I think IxxP is the most specific I can get for now. ISTP and INTP, and to a lesser extent INFP and ISFP all fit me very well, so I just don't think I can be sure. I'm only a teenager, so I'll probably revisit typing myself when I bit older and perhaps have more clear preferences.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-21-2015, 10:13 AM
  2. Can someone please help determine my Type?
    By PancakeMix in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-11-2014, 11:26 PM
  3. I'll give this a second try...Please help with my type
    By EndlessNameless in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-13-2013, 06:44 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-05-2013, 09:00 PM
  5. Please help type my brother!
    By milti girl in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-10-2008, 04:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO