MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    sx
    Socionics
    ENTp

Question ENTP or INTP

Hi guys, I'm new here. I can't tell if I'm an INTP or an ENTP

first of all, while I relate to a lot of ENTPs and understand why they act the way they do, I hate most of them so much. They are generally really selfish and say things that boost their egos and make themselves feel better, unless they are well adjusted ENTPs, like Trey Parker or Steven Fry.

However, when I am in a party scenario I tend to either rescind into the shadows and leave as soon as I can, or I gather up the initial energy to start meeting people, and then I become the life of the party, controlling everyone in all the groups and maintaining the alpha male status. From what I read, this is standard ENTP behavior. I also am really chaotic, procrastinate uncontrollably, and continually come up with ideas and never follow through on them.

However, I also can spend hours talking about philosophy and science with INTPs, not bringing any ego or assholery to the table at all. I am intrigued by the future of technology and futurism in general, and I could talk with an INTP about any of their ideas and completely understand most of their seemingly nonsensical theories with no problem. INTPs are my favorite personality, along with INFJs and ISFPs.

INTP or ENTP?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jug View Post
    Hi guys, I'm new here. I can't tell if I'm an INTP or an ENTP

first of all, while I relate to a lot of ENTPs and understand why they act the way they do, I hate most of them so much. They are generally really selfish and say things that boost their egos and make themselves feel better, unless they are well adjusted ENTPs, like Trey Parker or Steven Fry.

However, when I am in a party scenario I tend to either rescind into the shadows and leave as soon as I can, or I gather up the initial energy to start meeting people, and then I become the life of the party, controlling everyone in all the groups and maintaining the alpha male status. From what I read, this is standard ENTP behavior. I also am really chaotic, procrastinate uncontrollably, and continually come up with ideas and never follow through on them.

However, I also can spend hours talking about philosophy and science with INTPs, not bringing any ego or assholery to the table at all. I am intrigued by the future of technology and futurism in general, and I could talk with an INTP about any of their ideas and completely understand most of their seemingly nonsensical theories with no problem. INTPs are my favorite personality, along with INFJs and ISFPs.

INTP or ENTP?

I dont think you need to think of all ENTPs as assholes.

This makes me think ENTP " I become the life of the party, controlling everyone in all the groups and maintaining the alpha male status". The descriptors you used alone seem less INTP. Control and social hierarchy not really being our thing.

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Woohoo! A People Puzzle!

Okay, why can't you see yourself as being a well-adjusted ENTP?
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥

Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

If you really think that most ENTP want to "control everyone in all the groups and maintain their alpha male status", then it means you really haven't understood at all what the ENTP are really about.

ENTP are born anarchists, and most of them would intensely dislike the mere idea of controlling anybody else, even for sexual advantage. And selfishness... pfff...

Since you seem so obsessed with your own ego (or reflections of it), I'd dare to say you sound more likely like an IxTx. Most ENTP I know have no Ego: it's only a game, a show, a comedy, a parody of life.
    Only a deeply frustrated IxTx would consider this game to be serious, or that we're here to get the attention of all women around.

If you're not happy with your current life, please don't blame your extroverted brethren.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    If you really think that most ENTP want to "control everyone in all the groups and maintain their alpha male status", then it means you really haven't understood at all what the ENTP are really about.

ENTP are born anarchists, and most of them would intensely dislike the mere idea of controlling anybody else, even for sexual advantage. And selfishness... pfff...

Since you seem so obsessed with your own ego (or reflections of it), I'd dare to say you sound more likely like an IxTP. Most ENTP I know have no Ego: it's only a game, a show, a comedy, a parody of life.
    Only a deeply frustrated INTP would consider this game to be serious, or that we're here to get the attention of all women around.

If you're not happy with your life, don't blame your extroverted brethren.
    Quoted for truth a hundred times over. I thought of these things too, but decided to give him the benefit of the doubt first and see if he clarified a bit more. Usually ENTPs get that other ENTPs are just goofing when they are acting "cocky" and aren't feeling it at all. And, that party/crowd thing usually happens totally by accident, it's not thought out.

I wouldn't be so quick to assume that all INTPs can't have a good time at a party either.

Also, you don't have to like other ENTPs to be one. I don't love or like all of them either. They aren't me, they're other people, and just as likely to be disliked by me as other types.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ

Cerebral Artery

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by digest View Post
    I wouldn't be so quick to assume that all INTPs can't have a good time at a party either.
    Of course they can. Everybody can.

Also, you don't have to like other ENTPs to be one. I don't love or like all of them either. They aren't me, they're other people, and just as likely to be disliked by me as other types.
    Absolutely. "We're all individuals!"

Hence the anarchistic tendencies...
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Society

Quote Originally Posted by Jug View Post
    i've done that with other ENTPs as much as with INTPs. it's merely that with INTPs you have less of an ego clash.

as for ENTPs disliking other ENTPs it isn't unknown - some types have an easy time huddling together and even making themselves into social tribes (i.e INFJs, INFPs), other types don't do as well (i.e. ENFJs, ENTPs & INTJs) - often ending up in boring 1upmanship competitions. just because its a tad getting used too doesn't mean it isn't worth it though - it takes awhile to get the hang of sharing the steering wheel, and once you get the hang of it - you are, still, very different people.

MBTI
    ENTP

Watch him never come back. Pfft. ENTPs.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ

Cerebral Artery

Society

Quote Originally Posted by digest View Post
    Watch him never come back. Pfft. ENTPs.
    i get the impression he's still in the younger entp mindset of....

MBTI
    ENTP

Ha. I highly doubt that's just an ENTP thing.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ

Cerebral Artery