• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ENTP or INTP

Jug

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
sx
Hi guys, I'm new here. I can't tell if I'm an INTP or an ENTP

first of all, while I relate to a lot of ENTPs and understand why they act the way they do, I hate most of them so much. They are generally really selfish and say things that boost their egos and make themselves feel better, unless they are well adjusted ENTPs, like Trey Parker or Steven Fry.

However, when I am in a party scenario I tend to either rescind into the shadows and leave as soon as I can, or I gather up the initial energy to start meeting people, and then I become the life of the party, controlling everyone in all the groups and maintaining the alpha male status. From what I read, this is standard ENTP behavior. I also am really chaotic, procrastinate uncontrollably, and continually come up with ideas and never follow through on them.

However, I also can spend hours talking about philosophy and science with INTPs, not bringing any ego or assholery to the table at all. I am intrigued by the future of technology and futurism in general, and I could talk with an INTP about any of their ideas and completely understand most of their seemingly nonsensical theories with no problem. INTPs are my favorite personality, along with INFJs and ISFPs.

INTP or ENTP?

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

first of all, while I relate to a lot of ENTPs and understand why they act the way they do, I hate most of them so much. They are generally really selfish and say things that boost their egos and make themselves feel better, unless they are well adjusted ENTPs, like Trey Parker or Steven Fry.

However, when I am in a party scenario I tend to either rescind into the shadows and leave as soon as I can, or I gather up the initial energy to start meeting people, and then I become the life of the party, controlling everyone in all the groups and maintaining the alpha male status. From what I read, this is standard ENTP behavior. I also am really chaotic, procrastinate uncontrollably, and continually come up with ideas and never follow through on them.

However, I also can spend hours talking about philosophy and science with INTPs, not bringing any ego or assholery to the table at all. I am intrigued by the future of technology and futurism in general, and I could talk with an INTP about any of their ideas and completely understand most of their seemingly nonsensical theories with no problem. INTPs are my favorite personality, along with INFJs and ISFPs.

INTP or ENTP?

I dont think you need to think of all ENTPs as assholes.

This makes me think ENTP " I become the life of the party, controlling everyone in all the groups and maintaining the alpha male status". The descriptors you used alone seem less INTP. Control and social hierarchy not really being our thing.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
Woohoo! A People Puzzle!

Okay, why can't you see yourself as being a well-adjusted ENTP?

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
If you really think that most ENTP want to "control everyone in all the groups and maintain their alpha male status", then it means you really haven't understood at all what the ENTP are really about.

ENTP are born anarchists, and most of them would intensely dislike the mere idea of controlling anybody else, even for sexual advantage. And selfishness... pfff... :devil:

Since you seem so obsessed with your own ego (or reflections of it), I'd dare to say you sound more likely like an IxTx. Most ENTP I know have no Ego: it's only a game, a show, a comedy, a parody of life.
Only a deeply frustrated IxTx would consider this game to be serious, or that we're here to get the attention of all women around.

If you're not happy with your current life, please don't blame your extroverted brethren.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
If you really think that most ENTP want to "control everyone in all the groups and maintain their alpha male status", then it means you really haven't understood at all what the ENTP are really about.

ENTP are born anarchists, and most of them would intensely dislike the mere idea of controlling anybody else, even for sexual advantage. And selfishness... pfff... :devil:

Since you seem so obsessed with your own ego (or reflections of it), I'd dare to say you sound more likely like an IxTP. Most ENTP I know have no Ego: it's only a game, a show, a comedy, a parody of life.
Only a deeply frustrated INTP would consider this game to be serious, or that we're here to get the attention of all women around.

If you're not happy with your life, don't blame your extroverted brethren.

Quoted for truth a hundred times over. I thought of these things too, but decided to give him the benefit of the doubt first and see if he clarified a bit more. Usually ENTPs get that other ENTPs are just goofing when they are acting "cocky" and aren't feeling it at all. And, that party/crowd thing usually happens totally by accident, it's not thought out.

I wouldn't be so quick to assume that all INTPs can't have a good time at a party either.

Also, you don't have to like other ENTPs to be one. I don't love or like all of them either. They aren't me, they're other people, and just as likely to be disliked by me as other types.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I wouldn't be so quick to assume that all INTPs can't have a good time at a party either.

Of course they can. Everybody can.

Also, you don't have to like other ENTPs to be one. I don't love or like all of them either. They aren't me, they're other people, and just as likely to be disliked by me as other types.

Absolutely. "We're all individuals!"

Hence the anarchistic tendencies...

S

Society

i've done that with other ENTPs as much as with INTPs. it's merely that with INTPs you have less of an ego clash.

as for ENTPs disliking other ENTPs it isn't unknown - some types have an easy time huddling together and even making themselves into social tribes (i.e INFJs, INFPs), other types don't do as well (i.e. ENFJs, ENTPs & INTJs) - often ending up in boring 1upmanship competitions. just because its a tad getting used too doesn't mean it isn't worth it though - it takes awhile to get the hang of sharing the steering wheel, and once you get the hang of it - you are, still, very different people.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
Watch him never come back. Pfft. ENTPs. :dry:

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
Ha. I highly doubt that's just an ENTP thing.

Stephano

Almöhi
MBTI Type
NFP

ENTP are born anarchists, and most of them would intensely dislike the mere idea of controlling anybody else, even for sexual advantage. And selfishness... pfff...

Since you seem so obsessed with your own ego (or reflections of it), I'd dare to say you sound more likely like an IxTx. Most ENTP I know have no Ego: it's only a game, a show, a comedy, a parody of life.

Exactly! Although this reflects the personality of a carefree 7 as well. [MENTION=18416]Jug[/MENTION] If you're a Enneagram 3 you are more obsessed with status and prestige. This would cause a big ego.

S

Society

Ha. I highly doubt that's just an ENTP thing.

no but you do see it more with some types then others: ENTPs, INTJs, ENFJs off the tip of my head. i've never seen that for example with INFPs and INFJs, they seem to go almost tribal on their types.

Jug

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
sx
Whoa, this is awesome. I was expecting no one to reply and have the post stagnate for a couple weeks. That's pretty cool.

So, I've actually only met a few people in my life that I have typed as probably ENTP, so I have a small pool to grab from. So I would probably enjoy talking to some ENTPs in person, but sometimes when I read a post by an ENTP, the whole thing reeks of self inflation. However, I can understand most things in the post and clearly relate to a lot of the points/arguments.

And blackmail!, I agree with most of the points you made except one - that the ENTPs do not have a "prominent ego". I really think that ENTPs who are very self-aware will realize their egos and dampen them, and ENTPs who are not very introspective tend to overlook that part of themselves. They do and say many things that they think are rooted in some random motive, but also are hugely caused by wanting to "win" in the more abstract sense of the word.

Am I wrong? I truly have no idea. This whole theory... or should I say landscape of human categorization.... is something I just recently stumbled across after searching "free personality test" online. I've only been studying it for about 2 months

ttanzkel

MBTI Type
FART
Enneagram
E10

INTP or ENTP?

I relate to everything you said except the "hate other ENTPs" part. Quick conclusion: ENTP.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ENTP works. Probably Enneagram 3, which would explain why the E7s didn't relate much to what you've mentioned.

Overall, motivations (e.g. controlling people, maitaining alpha status) are much better analyzed with Enneagram theory - mbti is best suited to explain cognition and communication styles.

Jug

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
sx
I relate to everything you said except the "hate other ENTPs" part. Quick conclusion: ENTP.

Awesome. Also, I'm glad to get some agreement on that post. I wasn't expecting so many negative responses.

ENTP works. Probably Enneagram 3, which would explain why the E7s didn't relate much to what you've mentioned.

Overall, motivations (e.g. controlling people, maitaining alpha status) are much better analyzed with Enneagram theory - mbti is best suited to explain cognition and communication styles.

Good call, I'm pretty sure I am E3.

So the problem was that I've been using MBTI for both- I guess that means enneagram theory is going to consume my thoughts for the next 2 weeks. Shit

S

Society

So the problem was that I've been using MBTI for both- I guess that means enneagram theory is going to consume my thoughts for the next 2 weeks. Shit

hahahaha... 2 weeks? good luck.

ttanzkel

MBTI Type
FART
Enneagram
E10

2 weeks? i don't believe you. haha.. mbti theory consumed my thoughts for MONTHS... i haven't dug deep into enneagram yet, i still have to break up with mbti, which is hard to do. horayy, ive met another entp 3...lol.