User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9

  1. #1
    Senior Member Idealatious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    91?
    Posts
    122

    Default would you be so kind as to type me?

    Hi everyone. I was on this forum, uhhh, a while ago, and then abruptly stopped being on the forum for a while. Nothing personal; I do that sometimes… Recently I’ve become interested in the cognitive functions, so I'd like to ask people to type me please! This post is rather long, so feel free to skip things or skim if necessary. But if you think I’m a certain type, could you please tell me why?

    About various personality systems: I thought I was an INFJ; now I'm thinking I might be INFP, due to my perceived lack of Fe, mostly. I believe I am 4w5 or 5w4 on the Enneagram. Maybe. I have an irrational dislike of 6-ness, which might mean I am one. But I can see a little bit of myself in every type except the 6, 8, and 3. I have no clue about the So/Sx/Sp instincts; I find most of their descriptors to be equally irrelevant to me… I am probably RLOaI, although the strengths of the factors may be off. Due to one lovely system (http://easydamus.com/alignmentreal.html) I've decided my alignment is probably Chaotic Good or Neutral Good.

    I will respond to some typing questions I’ve found around the internet. I think these were from another forum.

    1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?

    This question seems to assume that once I was sure of my type and now I am not. Or it assumes that I have sufficient knowledge about personality theory that I could apply it if only my personality weren't so ridiculous. Or I'm just overthinking this… Anyway, I used to think I was INFJ. You guys better type me as INFJ; else I'm going to have to give up a sweet INFJ hoodie a friend gave me. I'm kidding; I could be something completely different for all I know. The only thing I'm dead certain about is introversion. I often have looked up personality theory, reaffirmed "yes, I'm an INFJ," forgot why I came to that conclusion, performed more research, and then came to the conclusion that I know nothing. I pretty consistently seem more J than P, if you look at the two in a simple manner. Examining and coming to fully grasp the significance and meaning of the cognitive functions made me realize that I don't think I'm very Fe. Also, I posted something a long time ago about how I like cats, rats, and snakes, and was angsting about my ability to perform animal research, and someone noted that I seemed more like an INFP.

    What about my personality makes me unsure? There are the tertiary cognitive functions of INFJs and INFPs: I am rather incompetent at Si, which, of course, could be due to underdevelopment, but is it usual for INFPs to be quite so terrible at Si? However, INFJ’s Fe seems very unlike me. And my understanding of Fi and Ni is still a little hazy. I have tried comparing INFPs and INFJs, and I cannot figure out where I am directing or informing, since both can be veiled in constant qualifiers and hesitation.

    4) What makes you feel inferior?

    The fact that I don't remember things well and can never think of fun stories to tell people when I'm with them. My general social incompetence. My generally unkempt appearance. My inability to easily make friends. That fact that I'm waiting to hear back from a job, and if I don't get it, I'll have to seriously job search for the first time. Basically, everything. I will not analyze my inferiorities in depth, however. Find my old journals if you want to read through all that angst!

    7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?

    Oh man. I’m not sure if this story will show much about me. So I visited Finland, and I was staying in a Cabin with a few others. One from Poland, another from Thailand… I forget the rest; but I have it written down somewhere. My memory is a sieve. Anyway, we left our cabin to try and see the Northern Lights, but were unsuccessful. However, we traipsed through the snow, pulling sleds behind us, staring into the blackness of the sky, and - I just love the night, all the time, especially when it’s cold. It’s a magical feeling. We eventually climbed a slope where we could see everything, and we passed vodka and orange juice around. Eventually, we gave up hope on the Northern Lights, but we came back to the slope and sledded all the way down. That was simply a moment of bliss: careening off the path and into deep snow, getting back on the flimsy sleds, trying to stay together, lighting our way into the pitch black with a tiny, ineffectual flashlight, and laughing hysterically all the time.

    I would definitely attend one of those Take Back the Night walks. Going back to my love of the night, because, why not: soon after I went to college and had access to semi-safe environments at night, I started taking night walks. At first, I did some silly things, including climbing a wall (half-way through I realized it was an awful idea; since I was suspended 10 feet in the air above a parking lot, and I freaked out a little. But I felt proud for making it up the wall. Never again, though). Now, when I get the chance (I live off campus so it’s a little inadvisable to walk in my neighborhood at night), I just walk on large rocks and platforms, listen to music, and make up stories in my head.

    Sorry, these stories aren’t that relevant, probably? (I had another short story but I deleted it. you're welcome.) I don’t do fun things that often. I’m kind of boring, spending much of my time being inactively on the Internet, drawing pictures, and reading books/comics.

    9) How organized do you think of yourself as?

    Fairly organized. I like to organize all my papers and drawings periodically. Although I will be better at that once I get a filing cabinet. I am rather excited to one day have several large filing cabinets instead of the two small ones and the scattered folders and binders I have now. My room gets messy, but I almost always clean it over the weekend. I am always not bothered by messes, but occasionally I will get in that state of mind where I need things to be nice and neat. I'm always bothered by my roommates's messes, though...

    2. You are with a group of people in a car, heading to a different town to see your favourite band/artist/musician. Suddenly, the car breaks down for an unknown reason in the middle of nowhere. What are your initial thoughts? What are your outward reactions?

    First I need to think of something I care enough to be upset by, since although I like music, I don’t get incredibly passionate about artists/bands most of the time. Maybe Emilie Autumn… or a dance performance. I love dance performances, especially ones that mix ballet, circus-like antics, gymnastics, and athletic feats. Anyway, the car breaks down, and I start to stress out, but try to hide it. This would happen, wouldn't it, I think, and sadly have to consider alternatives. I try to come to terms with not seeing the concert/performance, so I won't be disappointed if we don't make it. (I always do this, but it rarely works; my hopes are always medium-high even if I try to prepare for the worst and act very unenthusiastic.) I probably let someone who knows more about cars take charge, but after they take an initial look, try to search for alternatives. Is there anyone we can call? How long will it take them to get here? I probably am checking my watch and calculating how much time we have to spend with this in order to make it on time. I hate being late. Probably my stress comes through, but I’m not freaking anyone else out.

    3. You somehow make it to the concert. The driver wants to go to the afterparty that was announced (and assure you they won't drink so they can drive back later). How do you feel about this party? What do you do?

    Assuming the driver and the others are my friends - sure, sounds good. My friends aren't much of partiers, really, so I can be assured they will hang with me at the party, awkwardly dance, laugh at each other's dancing, and drink a reasonable amount. If for some reason, these people aren't close friends, then I won't love it. I will probably feel underdressed and feel insecure for not wearing makeup (assuming I’m dressed as I normally do). But I won't object, because, well, I try to try new things when possible. I just hope people don't disperse at the party so I can hang with them and not have to talk with strangers too much.

    4. On the drive back, your friends are talking. A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward reaction? What do you outwardly say?

    My inward reaction: Oh god, why. I might remain silent if I don't have a good refutation of their claim. There are some subjects I debate a lot, however, so if I already have arguments ready to go, I might bring one up, as non-confrontationally as possible. If these are close friends, it probably depends. A lot of my friends say things I am a bit uncomfortable with and I stay silent because, well, they aren't too awful, as beliefs go. With other things, though, I get into huge debates, and I always tend to be the one everyone else disagrees with, for some reason. (Unless we’re debating about larger issues that most generally liberal people would agree with, like, racism is bad) I remember a year ago we stayed up late, with them trying to convince me that promiscuous people are bad, or something like that. I disagreed until they stopped, although it was an amiable albeit frustrating discussion. Afterwards, I wrote up some of my arguments in a more eloquent manner. I'm better at online debating, really, as long as I take an hour to write, edit, and research an essay-length argument in the most objective way I can manage. In speech, I don’t have to spend all my time crafting a perfect essay, but I often fear I have not expressed myself well.

    A (perhaps) relevant note: I focus on flaws in arguments most of the time. Sometimes a friend will be talking about a social/political issue and I will be generally quiet because I completely agree. And then she will say something I disagree with, and that’s when I speak up…

    3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.

    I'm rarely at my finest. But disregarding self-esteem issues, I've had some moments where I really enjoy entertaining my friends. I like to amuse them (but only if it also amuses myself!) by doing little dances, making silly faces, playing with their hair, and making suggestions that we do entertaining and creative things. I like to mess with my more conservative friends by making sex jokes, sometimes. …this makes me sound kind of immature. But no one except my closest friends really sees me doing this. I think I often come across as monosyllabic and bored, or just awkward, to strangers. I think I come across as low-energy often. Particularly to my parents. Because I am pretty low-energy; sometimes a sentence takes a lot of effort. I can sometimes just get really ecstatic with friends – not naturally, but I make myself be that way. But it is kind of natural – a natural force gathered by a choice. There are some incidents... they still joke about how sugar-high/tipsy I was. Nah, I just felt like having fun, so I made myself have fun.

    I’ve also brought on some deep conversations. I feel great then because I guide conversations into taboo areas, or controversial areas, gently encourage the most reticent friend to speak, or just learn a lot about my friends and spend hours talking into the night. I guess I value those things. Other times when I felt “at my finest” (whatever that entails): figuring out how to program something, debating at Debate Club, and completing my undergraduate thesis.

    I... actually wrote some more that I meant to post here... You don't know how tempted I am to post it. What if, without it, someone misses the vital information that leads to an accurate typing??? You must know everything about my childhood!! But I will exercise self-control. (: I appreciate any typing attempts or comments! I'll submit this thread without much editing before I add even more to it.

  2. #2
    You have a choice! 21%'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    2,631

    Default

    You mentioned "INFJ Fe" that you don't identify with. Could you elaborate a little?

    I know at times I have problems with "Fe" in that I really struggle to care about people and things, and I have a rather strong reaction to things I consider "nice and shallow". I can be very judgy, and although I am usually silent about it, deep down I have solid, fiery convictions. I suck at typing people, but you sound more INFJ than INFP to me.

    I think Fe + 4ness is a fun combo
    4w5 sp/sx EII

  3. #3
    WALMART
    Guest

    Default

    More INFJ than INFP. Y'alls verbalizations are incredibly relatable, like something I should be able to do if I didn't feel so personally facile.

    I think 4, 5, and 9 would fit well enough, from what I've read. Maybe sp/so.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Idealatious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    91?
    Posts
    122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 21% View Post
    You mentioned "INFJ Fe" that you don't identify with. Could you elaborate a little?

    I know at times I have problems with "Fe" in that I really struggle to care about people and things, and I have a rather strong reaction to things I consider "nice and shallow". I can be very judgy, and although I am usually silent about it, deep down I have solid, fiery convictions. I suck at typing people, but you sound more INFJ than INFP to me.

    I think Fe + 4ness is a fun combo
    Hmm... what do you mean, a strong reaction to nice and shallow things?

    Well, on cognitive tests, my Fe was usually not very high. Not too low either, but, well, I'm not sure I really like using Fe, or am good at it. I remember reading that Fe-users tend to like holidays while Fi-users see them as personal, or dislike the consumerism, and the latter is true on my end. Maybe I just don't like Fe because my mom uses it a lot (ISFJ). I notice her accommodating other's feelings, and enjoying it, while I don't enjoy it so much. When I'm with friends sometimes, and a waiter/salesperson is trying to talk to us, I feel obligated to be polite to them and not ignore them like some of my friends do... but I don't really want to do it; I don't like it when people try to sell me things and so on. But I guess I still try to behave appropriately, if that is Fe. I feel like I'm not very group oriented, also.

    Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    More INFJ than INFP. Y'alls verbalizations are incredibly relatable, like something I should be able to do if I didn't feel so personally facile.

    I think 4, 5, and 9 would fit well enough, from what I've read. Maybe sp/so.
    Hmm, thanks! I will look up things about sp/so. Do you mean relatable because the last two functions of ISTP's are Ni and Fe? That's interesting... "personally facile..." aw. Even though I don't know you, I feel the urge to contradict that.

    Would anyone please tell me if they see any clear evidence of Ni in my post? I have some trouble understanding how Ni is applied. Then again, I need to do a lot more cognitive functions research...

  5. #5
    WALMART
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Idealatious View Post
    Well, on cognitive tests, my Fe was usually not very high. Not too low either, but, well, I'm not sure I really like using Fe, or am good at it. I remember reading that Fe-users tend to like holidays while Fi-users see them as personal, or dislike the consumerism, and the latter is true on my end. Maybe I just don't like Fe because my mom uses it a lot (ISFJ). I notice her accommodating other's feelings, and enjoying it, while I don't enjoy it so much. When I'm with friends sometimes, and a waiter/salesperson is trying to talk to us, I feel obligated to be polite to them and not ignore them like some of my friends do... but I don't really want to do it; I don't like it when people try to sell me things and so on. But I guess I still try to behave appropriately, if that is Fe. I feel like I'm not very group oriented, also.

    I wouldn't pay attention to test results too much, when I first came across typology I exclusively tested ENTP/INTJ, and I'm pretty sure I'm neither.

    A resource I used, studying the cognitive functions: http://www.famoustype.com/functions.htm

    I preferred it over most resources because of its cut and dry nature, leaves a lot for the imagination. I guess after a while the knowledge just coalesces into something malleable. Never did find the Se description on that page appealing, which is probably why it took me so long to realize I'm ISTP...


    Hmm, thanks! I will look up things about sp/so. Do you mean relatable because the last two functions of ISTP's are Ni and Fe? That's interesting... "personally facile..." aw. Even though I don't know you, I feel the urge to contradict that.

    Would anyone please tell me if they see any clear evidence of Ni in my post? I have some trouble understanding how Ni is applied. Then again, I need to do a lot more cognitive functions research...

    Yes, INFJ's are like deeper, more connected ISTP's. We share the same functions - Ni/Fe/Ti/Se for you, Ti/Se/Ni/Fe for me. Some research shows that developmentally, at sufficient levels, we're pretty difficult to tell apart. Both types look for the intent and meaning behind things, but I think for INFJ's it is instinctual while for ISTP's it is more of a conscious, labored process.

    One sign of Ni is your frequent meta-perception of the problems at hand... the way you have to think about whether or not the concert is something worth getting upset over instead of presuming it's something you wanted to begin with, or have to question whether the people you're riding with are friends to begin with. Your interests regarding what constitutes a good show is a little Ni/Se-y, as well.

    Looking over your post again, I have an irrational dislike of the six type as well. Have you considered nine at all with any strength?

    Also, are you gonna post the rest?

  6. #6
    You have a choice! 21%'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    2,631

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Idealatious View Post
    Hmm... what do you mean, a strong reaction to nice and shallow things?
    I tend to reject 'nice and shallow' things because I perceive them of being mainstream and simplistic. Then I feel ashamed of my seemingly 'elitist' attitude and for judging.


    Well, on cognitive tests, my Fe was usually not very high. Not too low either, but, well, I'm not sure I really like using Fe, or am good at it. I remember reading that Fe-users tend to like holidays while Fi-users see them as personal, or dislike the consumerism, and the latter is true on my end. Maybe I just don't like Fe because my mom uses it a lot (ISFJ). I notice her accommodating other's feelings, and enjoying it, while I don't enjoy it so much. When I'm with friends sometimes, and a waiter/salesperson is trying to talk to us, I feel obligated to be polite to them and not ignore them like some of my friends do... but I don't really want to do it; I don't like it when people try to sell me things and so on. But I guess I still try to behave appropriately, if that is Fe. I feel like I'm not very group oriented, also.
    I'll second @jontherobot that you should never trust tests. They are far from being accurate.

    I think the easiest way to figure out your type is to read other people's posts on here. In my experience, sometimes when I feel that a post is exactly how I'd respond and I glance to see who the poster is, a lot of the time they are INFJ.

    4w5 sp/sx EII

  7. #7
    Senior Member Idealatious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    91?
    Posts
    122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    A resource I used, studying the cognitive functions: http://www.famoustype.com/functions.htm

    Yes, INFJ's are like deeper, more connected ISTP's. We share the same functions - Ni/Fe/Ti/Se for you, Ti/Se/Ni/Fe for me. Some research shows that developmentally, at sufficient levels, we're pretty difficult to tell apart. Both types look for the intent and meaning behind things, but I think for INFJ's it is instinctual while for ISTP's it is more of a conscious, labored process.

    One sign of Ni is your frequent meta-perception of the problems at hand... the way you have to think about whether or not the concert is something worth getting upset over instead of presuming it's something you wanted to begin with, or have to question whether the people you're riding with are friends to begin with. Your interests regarding what constitutes a good show is a little Ni/Se-y, as well.
    I will take a look at the website! That is quite fascinating, and I appreciate those specific examples. I suppose I will continue my Ni explorations...

    Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    Looking over your post again, I have an irrational dislike of the six type as well. Have you considered nine at all with any strength?

    Also, are you gonna post the rest?
    That's funny; I wonder where that unfortunate 6-aversion comes from. I have considered 9. I'd have to be a 9w1 if I were a 9; which I suppose is possible...

    Hmm... I don't think I will post it for now! I'm in a perfectionist mood, so if I revisit what I wrote, I know I will find it inadequate and spend a lot of time trying to reword it in a better way. Besides, I don't think it'll help, and I appreciate you guys' comments! Although I was a bit surprised; I kind of expected to be found more INFP than INFJ. Shows what I know.

    Quote Originally Posted by 21% View Post
    I tend to reject 'nice and shallow' things because I perceive them of being mainstream and simplistic. Then I feel ashamed of my seemingly 'elitist' attitude and for judging.

    I'll second @jontherobot that you should never trust tests. They are far from being accurate.

    I think the easiest way to figure out your type is to read other people's posts on here. In my experience, sometimes when I feel that a post is exactly how I'd respond and I glance to see who the poster is, a lot of the time they are INFJ.

    Ahh, that's what I thought you meant about shallow things, but I had to make sure! It is the same for me!

    That sounds like a good idea! I'll look around on the forums more... Thanks!

  8. #8
    darkened dreams labyrinthine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    8,595

    Default

    You do sound more INFJ than INFP. There were a few moments when INTJ crossed my mind as well, but I think you are actually INFJ.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

  9. #9
    Senior Member Idealatious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    91?
    Posts
    122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    You do sound more INFJ than INFP. There were a few moments when INTJ crossed my mind as well, but I think you are actually INFJ.
    Whoops; I missed your post somehow; sorry! Well, thank you for the input; I guess this helps to assuage my periodic tendency of questioning my personality type for now!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 69
    Last Post: 02-05-2014, 06:28 PM
  2. Would anyone be so kind as to type this confused young girl?
    By MetalMoon in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-19-2013, 01:58 AM
  3. [SJ] If you had to be an SJ, which type would you be and why?
    By Moiety in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 107
    Last Post: 09-12-2010, 08:59 PM
  4. [MBTItm] If you had to be an NF, which type would you be
    By Evan in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 191
    Last Post: 11-04-2009, 07:46 AM
  5. [SP] If you had to be an SP, which type would you be and why?
    By King sns in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 10-27-2009, 07:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO