User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    I'm pretty sure this only applies to Js...
    Agreed, an SP isn't going to be keen on the value of traditional order.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I heard a saying that i found to be a distilled description of the difference between S and N.

iNtuitive = "I wonder what would happen if I did X"
    Sensor = "I'm going to do X and see what happens."
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

I want to be just like my mother, even if she is bat-shit crazy.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    I heard a saying that i found to be a distilled description of the difference between S and N.

iNtuitive = "I wonder what would happen if I did X"
    Sensor = "I'm going to do X and see what happens."
    Really? I do both, and I'm far from a Sensor. A healthy dose of curiosity can get you there.

I would add "I did X and this is what happened: [Lots of detail of how X looked, tasted, felt, etc.]"
    Ti (43); Ne (41.8); Te (33.7); Fi (30.5); Ni (27.5); Se (24.7); Si (21.5); Fe (17.3)
    The More You Know the Less You Need. - Aboriginal Saying

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    I'm pretty sure this only applies to Js...
    Actually, it applies to all dominant Sensing types.

Extraverted Sensing types (ESFP, ESTP) are known for their ability to take in a situation and know what needs to be done--that's why they gravitate toward emergency work and other professions where being in-the-moment to solve real problems really counts.

Introverted Sensing types (ISTJ, ISFJ) are the organizers of the world. Yes they have a creative side, but they spend so much time cleaning up after the rest of us and getting things in order so that they make sense that they have little time for anything else.

Where Sensing is the auxiliary, you have all kinds of other things going on...

Edcoaching

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Agreed, an SP isn't going to be keen on the value of traditional order.
    The ISJ's might be keener on traditional order but look at the last part of the Sensing definition: understanding the way reality should be. That's the in-the-moment righting the wrong that makes ESPs so handy.

edcoaching

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacuss View Post
    Really? I do both, and I'm far from a Sensor. A healthy dose of curiosity can get you there.

I would add "I did X and this is what happened: [Lots of detail of how X looked, tasted, felt, etc.]"
    Intuition and Sensing are your second and third functions, though, not your dominant--and you use both with the outside world. You probably have more facility with your Sensing function than someone for whom Intuition is their dominant. Few INTPs ever want to be caught in an incompetent moment which often has them thoroughly investigating both kinds of information--reality and hunches/connections--before voicing a decision that their internal Thinking function believes resonates with all the info available.

edcoaching

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by edcoaching View Post
    Intuition and Sensing are your second and third functions, though, not your dominant--and you use both with the outside world.
    You mean INTPs or me, specifically?
    [See siggy: Ti (43); Ne (41.8); Te (33.7); Fi (30.5); Ni (27.5); Se (24.7); Si (21.5); Fe (17.3)]

Few INTPs ever want to be caught in an incompetent moment which often has them thoroughly investigating both kinds of information--reality and hunches/connections--before voicing a decision that their internal Thinking function believes resonates with all the info available.
    Sounds about right.
    Ti (43); Ne (41.8); Te (33.7); Fi (30.5); Ni (27.5); Se (24.7); Si (21.5); Fe (17.3)
    The More You Know the Less You Need. - Aboriginal Saying

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacuss View Post
    You mean INTPs or me, specifically?
    [See siggy: Ti (43); Ne (41.8); Te (33.7); Fi (30.5); Ni (27.5); Se (24.7); Si (21.5); Fe (17.3)]

Sounds about right.
    INTPs in general. I've hosted panels of INTPs. One group came up with this description of their decision process. "When we're first playing with an idea, we're gathering info from everyone. It's like bundling straws into organized piles, very flexible. As we get more information those straws become more like wood--we've discarded the dross and have a pretty firm idea of what the information is adding up to. Once we voice a decision, it isn't that we're stubborn, it's that we've taken so much time to form our view that it's like the Eiffel Tower--steel. Your evidence has to be really good for us to start dismantling and forming a new view..."

edcoaching

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by edcoaching View Post
    Once we voice a decision, it isn't that we're stubborn, it's that we've taken so much time to form our view that it's like the Eiffel Tower--steel. Your evidence has to be really good for us to start dismantling and forming a new view..."

edcoaching
    That doesn't sound like the groups of INTPs I've worked with or discussed projects with. They are pretty much always open to alternative ideas, even once they've reached a conclusion (ie probably never).

MBTI
    FiSi

I live with three S types, and I have noticed a very big difference between "me" and "them".

I'm the only one in this family who thinks about the consequences.

I was shocked when discussing with my mother and sister the told me that they never think about consequences and always live in the exact here and now.

Then I realized that the explanation is the simple thing that always pops up in MBTI.

S = present, facts
    N = future, possibilities and ideas.