• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I know what my type is, but I'll pretend I don't and then argue against it.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hi, I'm new around here and just learning typology. I've taken a few tests but I'm not sure of my type because the results differ. I usually type as INTP, sometimes S is higher however, and my J is pretty high. I dare anybody here to convince me that my real type is INTP.

<snickers while twirling mustache between finger tips>

W

WALMART

You have the required amount of childish energy, that's for sure.

And I mean that sincerely. My father is the same way.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You have the required amount of childish energy, that's for sure.

And I mean that sincerely. My father is the same way.

Are you saying that other types don't have the required energy?

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You could be absolutely anything if your test results vary! In fact, I suggest you are all the types you test as at the same time. Remember, if you don't have every trait in a generalized description, you can't be the type. So you might end up being no type.

W

WALMART

*pictures this turning into a pinging of my responses and you asking "why?"*

I don't know, Ne is inherently an exploratory function. There is a lot of innocent externalized energy being tossed around.

Se can be high-energy as well, but it's typically more 'matured' in its functionality - it seeks objective purpose to exchange, its more 'authoritative'.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
*pictures this turning into a pinging of my responses and you asking "why?"*

Can you blame me for that? You answered literally and briefly, in true S fashion.

I don't know, Ne is inherently an exploratory function. There is a lot of innocent externalized energy being tossed around.

Se can be high-energy as well, but it's typically more 'matured' in its functionality - it seeks objective purpose to exchange, its more 'authoritative'.

So I am Ne-dom then?

W

WALMART

Can you blame me for that? You answered literally and briefly, in true S fashion.

It was more a joke initially formulated to cover my lack of ability to produce an informational response. Luckily, what I'd typed after just kind of 'clicked', 'cause I was about ten seconds away from giving up and telling you to take my thoughts for whatever you valued them at.

So I am Ne-dom then?

I'm not sure, the variance between extroversion and introversion is hard for me to differentiate.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You could be absolutely anything if your test results vary! In fact, I suggest you are all the types you test as at the same time. Remember, if you don't have every trait in a generalized description, you can't be the type. So you might end up being no type.

Logically speaking, I can be all types or no type at all. But I'm leaning toward INFP because I personally value sex.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It was more a joke initially formulated to cover my lack of ability to produce an informational response. Luckily, what I'd typed after just kind of 'clicked', 'cause I was about ten seconds away from giving up and telling you to take my thoughts for whatever you valued them at.

I'm not sure, the variance between extroversion and introversion is hard for me to differentiate.

You're trying too hard. Why look at individual letters, such as E/I, when you can just use functions? Or are you saying that Ne-dom implies extroversion? Does an outward-pointing attitude lead to extroverted behavior?

W

WALMART

You're trying too hard. Why look at individual letters, such as E/I, when you can just use functions? Or are you saying that Ne-dom implies extroversion? Does an outward-pointing attitude lead to extroverted behavior?

Theoretically, yes - Ne dominance implies extroversion. A study independent of the typological school of thought showed around 70% the population is ambiverted, and my perceptions correlate. I think anyone who gets hung up on this probably falls into this category. I prefer to think more about the function sets as a pair - Ne/Si over Se/Ni, Ti/Fe over Te/Fi, etc. Swapping the position of one for another in each set is hardly something to get all worked up about for such trivial implications, but I suppose if you've got your sights on mastering the system...

As for the intricacies of extroversion/introversion, it all depends on who's theory you want to listen to when postulating. Some say a focus on the external world, even if it's a solitary habit of thought like mechanics or something, implies extroversion. Some say you have to be boisterous, traditionally extroverted to qualify. And so forth, I've probably thought up four differing conflicting criteria.

You're probably ambiverted.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Logically speaking, I can be all types or no type at all. But I'm leaning toward INFP because I personally value sex.

Of course. Personal values mean you use Fi. Do you value anything else, or just sex? If not maybe you're a misanthropic INFP.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Of course. Personal values mean you use Fi. Do you value anything else, or just sex? If not maybe you're a misanthropic INFP.

I value chocolate milk.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Theoretically, yes - Ne dominance implies extroversion. A study independent of the typological school of thought showed around 70% the population is ambiverted, and my perceptions correlate. I think anyone who gets hung up on this probably falls into this category. I prefer to think more about the function sets as a pair - Ne/Si over Se/Ni, Ti/Fe over Te/Fi, etc. Swapping the position of one for another in each set is hardly something to get all worked up about for such trivial implications, but I suppose if you've got your sights on mastering the system...

As for the intricacies of extroversion/introversion, it all depends on who's theory you want to listen to when postulating. Some say a focus on the external world, even if it's a solitary habit of thought like mechanics or something, implies extroversion. Some say you have to be boisterous, traditionally extroverted to qualify. And so forth, I've probably thought up four differing conflicting criteria.

Why not use an introversion/extroversion test?

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I value chocolate milk.

Hmm, maybe you're a sensor then. Sex and chocolate milk...do you ever combine the two? If so you're probably an SP.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmm, maybe you're a sensor then. Sex and chocolate milk...do you ever combine the two? If so you're probably an SP.

Lol, no. I prefer peanut butter on my chocolate. Or chocolate on my peanut butter. And hot romantic evenings.

gromit

likes this
You value chocolate and sex. Therefore it follows that you are ESFJ. I think Keirsey said that once.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I've pondered this a bit further. First you make the distinction between focus of attention and behavioral aspects (the traditional intepretation). Then there are four different conflicting criteria. Then you brought up ambiversion. I'm not able to put this whole thing together.

And what is ambiversion anyway?