User Tag List

First 12

Thread: ESFP v. ENFP

MBTI
    eNFP

Both types have Fi as their auxiliary (secondary) function, but in the case of the ESFP that Fi is steering the dominant function of Se. In the case of the ENFP, that Fi is steering the dominant function of Ne. This makes for a big difference, as does the fact that the ESFP is of the Keirseyan SP temperament, while the ENFP is an NF. Hmm, I will have to come back later and give more concrete examples for this. In the meantime, reading about the SP and NF temperaments will probably help a lot. Here's Keirsey's site: Personality Test - Keirsey Temperament Website. Click on "the four temperaments" at the top of the page.

Hope this helps!

autumn

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Default Thank you!

Hi everyone!

After having read all these fascinating site you provided (Keirsey, Berens), it is now clear to me - without a doubt - that I must be ENFP.

First, I am totally NOT a guardian. Oh dear lord, no!!! They are great people - do not get me wrong - but totally not me!!! Routine - BLEH!!! MC? Ya gotta be crazy. Life of the party? I think not. ESFJ - nope.

If you can believe it, the artisan was even more extreme. NO WAY?!?! Adventure freak - I think not! No talking - HELP!!! I love to discuss theoretical options. Linear thinking - only if going on a constant serious of tangents could somehow be construed "linear," which I am more disinclined to believe. Living in the moment - uh, only when I am in dream phase, and then I am so full of imagination and dreams that I do not think that is what they mean.

In a weird way, I empathize a BIT with rationals - especially the INTJ. Although this sounds weird, I was TOTALLY an INTJ in high school and college. Yes, yes, yes, I know you cannot CHANGE your type. But I was a total rational during that time. Never spending time with friends or family, just sitting in my classes debating with people, writing rational arguments, destroying the opposition, correcting other people's stupid shhhhh--uh, stuff. Yes, I had this stereotypical, well, academic/pedantic characteristic. However, I am not quite sure where it came from. I think it is because I BLEND in with my environment so well. So if I am in an academic area where everyone is so rational, fighting to get ahead, precise, and blah blah, blah, then I BECOME that way, which is why it is so important for me to be in a good environment. ANYWAY, I probably fought tooth and nail with "these feeling types" in college (muhahaha!!! ).

This rational side totally comes out while I am editing - and sometimes when I am translating. It also rears its ugly head when I am learning new languages, when I can magically make associations among languages and learn new systems like a crazy nut. Grammar, for example.

But at the end of the day, I have to be honest and say - I am an IDEALIST. Completely. 1,000,000,000%!!! (As a rational, I never would have said that, but who cares?!!?) And not just ANY idealist - an ENFP. Well, I am just tooooooo Ne and toooooo indecisive to be anything else.

So there!!!

:-) Thank you for all your help,

Carolyn
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

To the top of the world arcticangel02's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNFP

Haha well, that was a very decisive declaration. How you could have been confused in the first place?

Also, regarding wanting to type everyone I know, that's very true for me. I was so enthused at first that I wanted everyone to try it out! Also, I found it invaluable to determine the types of everyone around me so I could compare their behaviour and see the types in action, as opposed to just words on a page. It really makes understanding them that much better.
    ANFP:
    Extraversion (52%) ---- Introversion (48%)
    Sensing (26%) ---- iNtuition (74%)
    Thinking (16%) ---- Feeling (84%)
    Judging (5%) ---- Perceiving (95%)

9w1 so/sx/sp

MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by arcticangel02 View Post
    Haha well, that was a very decisive declaration. How you could have been confused in the first place?

Also, regarding wanting to type everyone I know, that's very true for me. I was so enthused at first that I wanted everyone to try it out! Also, I found it invaluable to determine the types of everyone around me so I could compare their behaviour and see the types in action, as opposed to just words on a page. It really makes understanding them that much better.
    :-) Thanks for sharing - glad I am not the only one!
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

I think ESFP's are more doing things all the time than ENFP's.
    They are physically fast (meaning moving all the time) when ENFP's are mentally fast (meaninig that lots of stuff moving in their head all the time).

MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by Alcea Rosea View Post
    I think ESFP's are more doing things all the time than ENFP's.
    They are physically fast (meaning moving all the time) when ENFP's are mentally fast (meaninig that lots of stuff moving in their head all the time).
    What about the people who are both!?

(Not referring to myself - I would associate myself more with the ENFP. I am not a sports person or a hectic person. If I do a lot, it is not for the sake of DOING something. I HATE that.)

Just curious.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by Carolyn Beine View Post
    What about the people who are both!?

(Not referring to myself - I would associate myself more with the ENFP. I am not a sports person or a hectic person. If I do a lot, it is not for the sake of DOING something. I HATE that.)

Just curious.
    I was trying to describe the first function of both. Se is about moving and doing, Ne is about connecting.

If a person has strong Se and strong Ne then that person would be both fast moving and fast thinking, I guess.