User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 56

  1. #1
    Senior Member KatharineML's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp
    Posts
    118

    Default Help me type my friend!

    Hi guys - my friend is at theological college with me. She is unusual, serious and intelligent but positive and with a good sense of humour. Everyone likes her. She speaks up well in class, challenges well. Gets lost easily around campus Is a big reader, clever. People go to her for advice. She can be strong in her opinions but doesn't squash people. She dresses pretty and a bit scruffy. She says she's done the online tests but doesn't relate to anything she comes up as fully, and comes up as a wide range of different types (from ENTJ to INFP!) What do you think? What would I need to look for to find out what her leading functions are??

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFj Ne
    Posts
    14

    Default

    My first thought was an INTP, possibly ENTP. Her choice in theological college bespeaks someone who likes to ponder things over, a trait of someone with NP, I think. Unusual is definitely descriptive of an ENTP or an INTP. If she gets lost easily, I would definitely type her as an intuitive and not a sensor. ENTP's are very clever, I know from experience with my sister. (My sister is also really into books.) She may be hard to type because she may either be over-thinking the questions on the test (as I think NTP's are prone to) or she could just be a well developed type. (My ENFP dad can sometimes be mistaken for an ESTP for this reason.) Ask what comes more naturally, and what she was like as a child. Chances are there hasn't been major reformations in any of these ways.

    Hope I helped!

  3. #3
    Senior Member KatharineML's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp
    Posts
    118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Velvet_Rose View Post
    My first thought was an INTP, possibly ENTP. Her choice in theological college bespeaks someone who likes to ponder things over, a trait of someone with NP, I think. Unusual is definitely descriptive of an ENTP or an INTP. If she gets lost easily, I would definitely type her as an intuitive and not a sensor. ENTP's are very clever, I know from experience with my sister. (My sister is also really into books.) She may be hard to type because she may either be over-thinking the questions on the test (as I think NTP's are prone to) or she could just be a well developed type. (My ENFP dad can sometimes be mistaken for an ESTP for this reason.) Ask what comes more naturally, and what she was like as a child. Chances are there hasn't been major reformations in any of these ways.

    Hope I helped!
    Hi Velvet Rose - thanks!! I asked her what comes naturally, she said, reading, writing, distilling information into the essence, explaining things to people, interesting conversation. As a child she said she was into exploring places, riding bikes, playing with lego, reading; at school always the one with her hand up in class knowing the answer, annoyed the teachers but wanted to please them and enjoyed talking with them. Happy to play alone (and often did) but liked by other children and sociable - more interested in being with adults or older/daring kids. Competitive, liked to win or be the best. Left school early due to boredom, is now returning to study and loving it. I don't think she's an ENTP - my husband is an ENTP and more liable to cause a ruckus than she is, if you know what I mean! Could she be an F? INTP is possible but she's quite feminine and sociable which never fits the descriptions of INTP's online which I think puts her off.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,988

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KatharineML View Post
    Hi Velvet Rose - thanks!! I asked her what comes naturally, she said, reading, writing, distilling information into the essence, explaining things to people, interesting conversation. As a child she said she was into exploring places, riding bikes, playing with lego, reading; at school always the one with her hand up in class knowing the answer, annoyed the teachers but wanted to please them and enjoyed talking with them. Happy to play alone (and often did) but liked by other children and sociable - more interested in being with adults or older/daring kids. Competitive, liked to win or be the best. Left school early due to boredom, is now returning to study and loving it. I don't think she's an ENTP - my husband is an ENTP and more liable to cause a ruckus than she is, if you know what I mean! Could she be an F? INTP is possible but she's quite feminine and sociable which never fits the descriptions of INTP's online which I think puts her off.
    ENFP.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  5. #5
    Retired Nicki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,512

    Default

    Some NP
    I really like cats and food.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,988

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aleda View Post
    Some NP
    In other words, ENTP, INTP, ENFP, or INFP.

    There are more signs of extraversion than introversion in the description given. Their only question was F or T. ENTP tends to be more unruly than ENFP.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  7. #7
    philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    4,042

    Default

    I don't think ENTP's always "cause a ruckus". My graduate student teacher for one of my classes is definitely either ENTP or ENTJ (and I'm really thinking ENTP), and well, if she were unruly she wouldn't be a grad student. She seems like a pretty together person who takes things seriously when she needs to. But she's always saying things in a witty way and making people laugh, and she's great at being the devil's advocate and presenting both sides of an issue. And my ENTJ ex's default mode is mischievous. It's best not to take generalized traits as rules; rather look at the underlying causes of the traits. Also remember females are going to exhibit the traits differently than males, and the thinking types' descriptions are based more on males.

    Ne+Ti has a mischievous streak which is distinctive from Ne+Fi, and Ti-Ne and Fi-Ne similarly have distinctions. Ne generates possibilities and loves absurdities. Ne will take in information around her, but also from inside her own mind, and put it together in interesting and funny combinations; the laughter generated from unusual combinations of things is further Ne stimulation, especially if other people laugh as well. When ENTP's are being serious, they are using their Ne and Ti together to make sense of the world and make possibilities into reality (usually in the mental realm, as opposed to ENTJ in the physical). The distinction with Ne-Ti is that their mischievousness (Ne) is tinged with Ti, which lends an intellectual edge. They're going to want to develop clever schemes to produce funny results, or shake the system up, or present novel and revolutionary ideas, or simply play with people's minds.

    ENFP's have Ne+Fi, which means that their Ne play will be tinged with emotions. I know Fi is not about emotions, but nevertheless it happens this way when people exhibit it most of the time. ENFP's aren't going to be really emotional creatures, indeed Ne makes them really too mental to be; but they will have a lot of attitude. They have things they feel strongly about for the moment, and some things they really believe in. The things they say and do will be influenced by their personal attitude toward things. They will usually generate humor by being outrageous, rebellious, silly, overdramatic, quirky, or telling what they see is the truth in a funny way. They make sense of the world qualitatively, which means that they are organizing information according to how they feel about it. ENFP's are mischievous in a provocative or silly way, but they are harmless. With ENFP's the emphasis is on fun. ENTP's have a little more trouble getting out of their heads.

    INFP's are Fi-Ne, which means that they are more often serious than silly. That is, they will be making sense of things qualitatively first and generating entertaining randomness second. Their reaction to something may be to take it seriously and say how they feel about it, or what things should be like, when an ENFP would just make a smart ass remark. Their brand of mischief is a little more either Fi (like being sarcastic and absurd in a kind of pointed emotional way), or inhibited Ne, like playing word games and saying little silly things. They aren't flamboyant like ENFP's. They also like to shake up the system and broaden people's minds, but it's usually in a more agreeable and serious way than ENFP's.

    INTP's have Ti-Ne, which again means that they will more often take things seriously than just be silly. They have to make sense of everything before they can just be random. They have kind of a fear of just letting go and being crazy most of the time. Their Ne entertainment is a more subdued kind of ENTP mischief; they like playing with words, making witty remarks, expressing logical/factual truth in an entertaining way, being subtly provocative, and playing with people's minds. But they have a more intellectual or just quietly absurd humor. I think INTP's are more likely to laugh about objective aspects of a situation, whereas INFP's might be a little nervous with such objective truths, especially if they involve people's well-being.

    Hope this helps. This is just one aspect of what you describe, but I can gladly analyze the rest.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,988

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    I don't think ENTP's always "cause a ruckus".
    "more liable to cause a ruckus"
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  9. #9
    philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    4,042

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    "more liable to cause a ruckus"
    Exactly- OP is suggesting that if someone doesn't they aren't ENTP. There are plenty of exceptions in many situations; you have to look at the underlying motivations.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,988

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    Exactly- OP is suggesting that if someone doesn't they aren't ENTP. There are plenty of exceptions in many situations; you have to look at the underlying motivations.
    And how are you going to look at underlying motivations?
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Similar Threads

  1. Help me type my friend
    By Panrue in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-04-2014, 06:23 PM
  2. Help me type my friend, please?
    By musicnerd93 in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-04-2010, 01:56 PM
  3. help me type my close friend!
    By Rebe in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-26-2010, 06:31 PM
  4. Can anyone help me type my friend?
    By gdhc08 in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-01-2010, 01:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO