• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Help me type my friend!

KatharineML

MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
THIS guy never thought INTP.

Consider the questions I asked. Is she MORE this than that? Anybody can be late at times. But is she more scheduled than unscheduled? Being late doesn't mean she's unscheduled.

As for decisive/indecisive: Does she PREFER to come to a conclusion? Or does she PREFER to leave her options open?
Okay, she says she prefers to be on time and to be scheduled (even though this stresses her because she tries to squeeze to much in!), and to come to a conclusion. She LIKES the process, but the process is all leading to the conclusion or the purpose so, yeah ... what say you?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Okay, she says she prefers to be on time and to be scheduled (even though this stresses her because she tries to squeeze to much in!), and to come to a conclusion. She LIKES the process, but the process is all leading to the conclusion or the purpose so, yeah ... what say you?

Based on original MBTI theory (not JCF), I would definitely tack a J on the end of her type, whatever else it is.

KatharineML

MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Based on original MBTI theory (not JCF), I would definitely tack a J on the end of her type, whatever else it is.
so what is it? ENFJ? INFJ? ENTJ? INTJ? What's the diff between them anyway? If she's an NJ, that makes sense, she's clever and opinionated (seems about right) but she's nice too (maybe F?), I or E is harder. She's not the social animal type with a whole bunch of girls around her, more in the library reading or having intense convo's with one or two people (though she has a LINE of those people waiting to talk with her ... )
Thank you so much for your help with this, I would really like your INTP opinion Mal.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
so what is it? ENFJ? INFJ? ENTJ? INTJ? What's the diff between them anyway? If she's an NJ, that makes sense, she's clever and opinionated (seems about right) but she's nice too (maybe F?), I or E is harder. She's not the social animal type with a whole bunch of girls around her, more in the library reading or having intense convo's with one or two people (though she has a LINE of those people waiting to talk with her ... )
Thank you so much for your help with this, I would really like your INTP opinion Mal.

An INTP opinion would involve writing a 'book' lol. But I've been creating shorter messages these days.

I find that personal descriptions of people are difficult to use to type with. There are questionnaires available for this purpose containing MBTI-specific questions. I know of at least two on this forum, and they are very good.

I/E is probably the most difficult scale probably because most people are mixtures of the two traits. With your friend I would say INFJ because she is a passionate idealist but not a social butterfly, along with the fact that Intuition was the strongest trait showing up in your description.

KatharineML

MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
An INTP opinion would involve writing a 'book' lol. But I've been creating shorter messages these days.

I find that personal descriptions of people are difficult to use to type with. There are questionnaires available for this purpose containing MBTI-specific questions. I know of at least two on this forum, and they are very good.

I/E is probably the most difficult scale probably because most people are mixtures of the two traits. With your friend I would say INFJ because she is a passionate idealist but not a social butterfly, along with the fact that Intuition was the strongest trait showing up in your description.
Thanks for that, very helpful. Which tests do you recommend ... I'll get her to take them and we'll see :) I agree, about the intuition thing. It's hard to tell the diff between NE and Ni don't you think?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thanks for that, very helpful. Which tests do you recommend ... I'll get her to take them and we'll see :) I agree, about the intuition thing. It's hard to tell the diff between NE and Ni don't you think?

If you want to do things the JCF way, then yes it is difficult. But I think most people will just be able to tell you if they are introverts or extroverts. Try asking her a question about that. If the answer is "Hmmm, not sure...," then ambivert.

I don't have a favorite test at the moment, but there is a nice questionnaire or two somewhere on this forum.

KatharineML

MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
If you want to do things the JCF way, then yes it is difficult. But I think most people will just be able to tell you if they are introverts or extroverts. Try asking her a question about that. If the answer is "Hmmm, not sure...," then ambivert.

I don't have a favorite test at the moment, but there is a nice questionnaire or two somewhere on this forum.
Okay, what the heck is JCF and 'ambivert'
?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Okay, what the heck is JCF and 'ambivert'
?

An "Ambivert" is a mixture of introvert and extrovert.

JCF = Jungian Cognitive Functions: Se, Fi, Te, Ni, Ne, Ti, Fe, Si.

JCF is not the same as MBTI. The latter doesn't rely on functions. The MBTI is a personality survey that determines type by sorting out your preferred traits according to I versus E, N versus S, T versus F, P versus J.

When I first came onto this forum I was shocked to find that hardly anybody had heard of the original MBTI. They were practicing JCF and calling it MBTI.

Worse yet, they thought I was wrong, lol. It's as if history started the day they were born, or something.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Here is the history of typology according to other forum members:

First there was Jung. Then Myers-Briggs came along.

50 years passed....

Then suddenly, there was Lenore Thomson, who knows the truth about everything.

KatharineML

MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Here is the history of typology according to other forum members:

First there was Jung. Then Myers-Briggs came along.

50 years passed....

Then suddenly, there was Lenore Thomson, who knows the truth about everything.

Interesting. Never heard of Lenore Thomson. I came at this way of understanding people via Myers Briggs which I found really helpful, then on this site everyone talks about Fi Ne etc etc so I read up about the functions. I assumed this was considered to be a 'move forward', however, personally I think it stretches the theory too thin and ruins it's usefulness. There is no way you can fully explain a person via any system since, fundamentally, we are each unique, and also in unique circumstances. I do think there is a place for systems but they must necessarily remain broad and not try to explain every detail, or they fall into error and then lose all credibility (which is a shame, because there is truth and value in the system). In view of this, maybe its best to stick to MBTI and forget JCF altogether? What do you think?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Interesting. Never heard of Lenore Thomson. I came at this way of understanding people via Myers Briggs which I found really helpful, then on this site everyone talks about Fi Ne etc etc so I read up about the functions. I assumed this was considered to be a 'move forward', however, personally I think it stretches the theory too thin and ruins it's usefulness. There is no way you can fully explain a person via any system since, fundamentally, we are each unique, and also in unique circumstances. I do think there is a place for systems but they must necessarily remain broad and not try to explain every detail, or they fall into error and then lose all credibility (which is a shame, because there is truth and value in the system). In view of this, maybe its best to stick to MBTI and forget JCF altogether? What do you think?

I'm in favor of separating the two systems.

KatharineML

MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm in favor of separating the two systems.

Yes, that may be the best idea. How would you do this?

Using me as an example; I come up as INTP in the JCF tests, but E/INFJ in the Myers Briggs? And actually, I find I relate to both INTP and INFJ. Maybe others find this also? Separating the systems would mean I could identify as both, but how could that work since in theory they contradict one another?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, that may be the best idea. How would you do this?

Using me as an example; I come up as INTP in the JCF tests, but E/INFJ in the Myers Briggs? And actually, I find I relate to both INTP and INFJ. Maybe others find this also? Separating the systems would mean I could identify as both, but how could that work since in theory they contradict one another?

I see no issue whatsoever. Two different systems, two different results.

If you're wondering why you scored as different types, Ti is the tertiary of the INFJ type.

Velvet_Rose

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Does sound more like an E.

Hmmm....She could be an F. Does she try to solve problems from "this is right and this is wrong, therefore..." (an F) or "this comes from a more objective source and this from subjective, therefore...." (a T)? If she is religious it could be difficult to differentiate, as religious people usually will include their beliefs in decisions, which can come across as "this is right and this is wrong". A tip here could be, is she easily swayed by emotion? This could be generalizing, but I have a thinker sister and a thinker friend, and neither are easily swayed by their emotions, whereas they are more receptive to things like facts and statistics. (I generally avoid arguing with them because of this, haha. They are both ESTJ, and both very intelligent and informed about their topics, and stubborn in their opinions.)

I agree with a previous poster that she sounds like an ENFP and not an ENTP. The writing part did it for me; my dad is ENFP and feels the need to have things down in writing (he calls it his "paper brains") whereas my ENTP sister has never been big on writing, though she can, and quite wittily when she wants.

Does she have any "creative genius", so to speak? This doesn't strictly apply to art, it can be seen in mechanical ingenuity or in general being a creative problem solver. It may seem trivial, but I think her curiosity and the legos would mean she is a little. My dad and a friend (who is also ENFP) both are really into figuring out how things work and making new things and combining things into genius creations. (As an INFP, I was also curious, but I somehow never possessed the ability to put things back together after having taken them apart.) X)

ENFP's are really "git-r-done" type of people, or so I've read (and observed.) Does this fit her at all?

(I also feel obliged to add that femininity and sociability are not directly related to the F-type or the E-type, though they certainly go together often.)

Velvet_Rose

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I would also like to add: J-types love lists. My two J-type sisters (and my mother) are list aholics. I didn't realize the full extent of this love until, when sitting in my sister's room one day, I picked up one of her notepads and found it full of lists. And there was another one. Full of lists. I knew already that she would schedule her day on a marker board, but I was just blown away by how utterly organized she was, and in such a detailed way! I tested as a somewhat weak P-type, and I know I am because I too like lists, though in great moderation and usually in a "pros and cons" way.