• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Help me type my friend!

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Many people do, and I don't. I will address this in my future post. The right method appears to be circular, but isn't if you do it right. If you do it wrong or use an incorrect method which looks like it (like spiritual people must be INFP's), then it just perpetuates all sorts of incorrectness and merits your criticism. The correct method only looks circular because it involves both induction and deduction, in a process of them working together.

Now you're saying it only looks circular. But it's about justifying the conclusion. Either it's a circular justification, or it's not.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Now you're saying it only looks circular. But it's about justifying the conclusion. Either it's a circular justification, or it's not.

I don't know the answer. It's not circular in the way an invalid argument or fallacy or something is. The processes involves forming theories and then getting data to support it, then modifying the theories accordingly. So the two reinforce each other. That's the way scientific investigation works. Are you saying that's circular too? I think you are just thinking it looks that way.

KatharineML

MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
In other words, ENTP, INTP, ENFP, or INFP.

There are more signs of extraversion than introversion in the description given. Their only question was F or T. ENTP tends to be more unruly than ENFP.

Hmm, interesting. She's not as brazen as the ENFP's I know, but not an INFP I don't think. Not subtle enough - given to sharing her opinion freely. Is there any chance she is a J type? Couldn't the NiFe combo manifest as explorative also? I think we can safely say she's an N. I've been thinking recently, maybe a confident and well educated INFJ??

KatharineML

MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
But that's circular reasoning. You have to assume what the person's type is and then describe that type's motivations, correlating them with the described behaviors (such as "likes to bug teachers"). Circular.

We have to start with the observations and fit them into the caricatures of type to some degree. Possible motivations can be considered from there, along with finer nuances of behaviour which might tip the balance in favour of one type or another. It's not an exact science, since we're talking about human beings and PREFERENCE here.

So what type do you think my friend is? She seems to get more confused the more tests she does and the more she looks into it! She's not confused about her other beliefs - only who she about herself! (could this characteristic be a clue?) :)

zodiac

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
hands down INTP - seems like someone as describing me:)

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't know the answer. It's not circular in the way an invalid argument or fallacy or something is. The processes involves forming theories and then getting data to support it, then modifying the theories accordingly. So the two reinforce each other. That's the way scientific investigation works. Are you saying that's circular too? I think you are just thinking it looks that way.

Theories aren't formed out of thin air.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
We have to start with the observations and fit them into the caricatures of type to some degree. Possible motivations can be considered from there, along with finer nuances of behaviour which might tip the balance in favour of one type or another. It's not an exact science, since we're talking about human beings and PREFERENCE here.

So what type do you think my friend is? She seems to get more confused the more tests she does and the more she looks into it! She's not confused about her other beliefs - only who she about herself! (could this characteristic be a clue?) :)

As I said, she sounds like an ENFP from your descriptions.

http://www.personalitypage.com/ENFP.html
"ENFPs are charming, ingenuous, risk-taking, sensitive, people-oriented individuals with capabilities ranging across a broad spectrum. They have many gifts which they will use to fulfill themselves and those near them, if they are able to remain centered and master the ability of following through."

I'll leave open the possibility of ENTP:
"In general, ENTPs are upbeat visionaries. They highly value knowledge, and spend much of their lives seeking a higher understanding. They live in the world of possibilities, and become excited about concepts, challenges and difficulties. When presented with a problem, they're good at improvising and quickly come up with a creative solution. Creative, clever, curious, and theoretical, ENTPs have a broad range of possibilities in their lives."
http://www.personalitypage.com/ENTP.html

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmm, interesting. She's not as brazen as the ENFP's I know, but not an INFP I don't think. Not subtle enough - given to sharing her opinion freely. Is there any chance she is a J type? Couldn't the NiFe combo manifest as explorative also? I think we can safely say she's an N. I've been thinking recently, maybe a confident and well educated INFJ??

Is she more spontaneous than self-controlled? Or vice versa?
Is she more decisive than indecisive?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What are you suggesting is the proper way to go about it then?

I'm saying you formed a theory based on the description given. You didn't just form a theory out of thin air.

KatharineML

MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Is she more spontaneous than self-controlled? Or vice versa?
Is she more decisive than indecisive?
This is one of the difficulties - she is flexible, in that she is able to go with the flow in discussions etc. but she is also self-controlled. She thinks before she speaks, and it is measured. She seems to try and organise her life quite a lot, though she is sometimes late and gets flustered by this. It's hard to know if she's decisive - she can speak decisively, but she is also able to change direction and open up too.
I'm wondering about the ENFP possibility ... she's not all that funny/zany and apparently this is characteristic of ENFP's - she's more, umm, MEANINGFUL, quite intense, zealous even, though she loves to laugh and has fun too. She's very engaging, in conversation and in general, actually, though loses that edge when she has to stand up in front of everyone and speak more formally. Am I painting a picture? Do you guys still think INTP?

aimy

Enneagram
What makes me think that is that you said, "big reader, clever... She can be strong in her opinions but doesn't squash people (that's the IP in her)"

I'm an ENTj and I constantly, accidentally, "squash" people with my opinions hahaha. We may come off as pleasant ppl but that's us using our role function which is FE and it's very short lived. Someone wouldn't go to an ENTj for advice unless it's something logical or they aren't afraid of blunt advice.

Are you trying to type her with MBTI or Socionics? I find MBTI is so inaccurate it's almost gross.

KatharineML

MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
What makes me think that is that you said, "big reader, clever... She can be strong in her opinions but doesn't squash people (that's the IP in her)"

I'm an ENTj and I constantly, accidentally, "squash" people with my opinions hahaha. We may come off as pleasant ppl but that's us using our role function which is FE and it's very short lived. Someone wouldn't go to an ENTj for advice unless it's something logical or they aren't afraid of blunt advice.

Are you trying to type her with MBTI or Socionics? I find MBTI is so inaccurate it's almost gross.
Is Socionics better, do you think?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is one of the difficulties - she is flexible, in that she is able to go with the flow in discussions etc. but she is also self-controlled. She thinks before she speaks, and it is measured. She seems to try and organise her life quite a lot, though she is sometimes late and gets flustered by this. It's hard to know if she's decisive - she can speak decisively, but she is also able to change direction and open up too.
I'm wondering about the ENFP possibility ... she's not all that funny/zany and apparently this is characteristic of ENFP's - she's more, umm, MEANINGFUL, quite intense, zealous even, though she loves to laugh and has fun too. She's very engaging, in conversation and in general, actually, though loses that edge when she has to stand up in front of everyone and speak more formally. Am I painting a picture? Do you guys still think INTP?

THIS guy never thought INTP.

Consider the questions I asked. Is she MORE this than that? Anybody can be late at times. But is she more scheduled than unscheduled? Being late doesn't mean she's unscheduled.

As for decisive/indecisive: Does she PREFER to come to a conclusion? Or does she PREFER to leave her options open?