User Tag List

First 1234 Last

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    And how are you going to look at underlying motivations?
    Um, like I just illustrated? Ask why a type would do a certain behavior, what are the overall behavior patterns, how do the behaviors vary in intensity, what cognitive functions are responsible and how might they produce similar or different but relate behaviors, etc. Same way you'd look at the motivations for anything.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    Um, like I just illustrated? Ask why a type would do a certain behavior, what are the overall behavior patterns, how do the behaviors vary in intensity, what cognitive functions are responsible and how might they produce similar or different but relate behaviors, etc. Same way you'd look at the motivations for anything.
    But that's circular reasoning. You have to assume what the person's type is and then describe that type's motivations, correlating them with the described behaviors (such as "likes to bug teachers"). Circular.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

But that's circular reasoning. You have to assume what the person's type is and then describe that type's motivations, correlating them with the described behaviors (such as "likes to bug teachers"). Circular.
    Which is pretty much how typology works. Except you don't do it with people whose types you're not sure of. How do we know anything about the types? It's not all a priori.

MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

More importantly, do you disagree with my assessment? If not, do you think I just happened to come to those conclusions without any sort of reliable method?

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

More importantly, do you disagree with my assessment? If not, do you think I just happened to come to those conclusions without any sort of reliable method?
    Since when is circular reasoning reliable? For example:

MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Since when is circular reasoning reliable? For example:

You didn't answer my question.

"greenfairy's reasoning must be circular because I say it is, circular reasoning is never justified, so her conclusion and methods must be false."

Circular.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

You didn't answer my question.

"greenfairy's reasoning must be circular because I say it is, circular reasoning is never justified, so her conclusion and methods must be false."

Circular.
    That's two times now you've given us false quotes in this thread.

I didn't say circular reasoning was false. It's simply a method of justifying one's conclusion from the conclusion itself. The conclusion may be true, the reasoning is self-justifying. The Bible is true because it says so in the Bible. That doesn't mean the Bible is false.

MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

That's two times now you've given us false quotes in this thread.

I didn't say circular reasoning was false. It's simply a method of justifying one's conclusion from the conclusion itself. The conclusion may be true, the reasoning is self-justifying. The Bible is true because it says so in the Bible. That doesn't mean the Bible is false.
    I'm summarizing the quotes, not quoting them directly. And I'm not using circular reasoning. I'm using a method which you label as circular, using your own circular reasoning. In any case, this is off the topic of the thread. I'm simply using the same methods of reasoning as any psychologist who uses typology. I think I'll post more about this directly somewhere else, but I don't have the time now.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

I'm summarizing the quotes, not quoting them directly. And I'm not using circular reasoning. I'm using a method which you label as circular, using your own circular reasoning. In any case, this is off the topic of the thread. I'm simply using the same methods of reasoning as any psychologist who uses typology. I think I'll post more about this directly somewhere else, but I don't have the time now.
    You're not summarizing any quotes, you're putting them in your own words AND changing the meanings.

Yes I know many people use typology circularly. I don't know if Psychologists do. Most of them reject it.

MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

You're not summarizing any quotes, you're putting them in your own words AND changing the meanings.

Yes I know many people use typology circularly. I don't know if Psychologists do. Most of them reject it.
    Many people do, and I don't. I will address this in my future post. The right method appears to be circular, but isn't if you do it right. If you do it wrong or use an incorrect method which looks like it (like spiritual people must be INFP's), then it just perpetuates all sorts of incorrectness and merits your criticism. The correct method only looks circular because it involves both induction and deduction, in a process of them working together.