Hi all, I've been trying to determine my type since I took the humanmetrics.com test last week, which pronounced me an INTJ. (Two years ago, though, the same test told me I was INTP.) Yesterday, i took the cognitivefunctions.com test, which said I'm an ISTJ (!?).
I'm now turning to the power of the great hive mind here instead. The only thing I'm sure of is that I'm an introvert. I'm pretty sure I have strong Thinking and weak Feeling. I have no idea about iNtuiting and Sensing.
I tried to think of a way to organise the info below, but it's easier to just type whatever that comes to mind because they all seem related, so I'm just gonna go ahead.
- I've been told I'm uptight, and I do think I should learn to go with the flow more. I admire spontaneity and often wish I could just do things like fly off for a holiday without planning a full itinerary of things to do.
- I like things to be in place and planned, but sometimes I wish I could be surprised (eg having friends throw me surprise birthday party).
-I've been called a "nazi" when I went through a phase of trying cut down the use of plastic (I still wince internally when people do things like accept plastic bags and then throw them away right after they leave the store, but I won't say anything).
- I hate the idea of being anal but have been told that I'm nitpicky and get hung up on small things. I'm not sure how much my job as a copy editor has to do with it, and some days I attribute it to the job and feel angry about it.
- I like making lists (Te?) but may procrastinate over the tasks to do. Ticking off tasks make me feel relieved, because otherwise it will be nagging at the back of my mind.
- I feel like I am good at seeing more efficient ways of doing things, but an inner voice says I'm being egoistic.
- I can make myself focus on work even when my emotions are a mess; in fact, I prefer to 'hide' in work to avoid thinking too much about unpleasant personal events because that will just make me a wreck (poor Fi?).
-I've been told I'm detached, cold, distant, unemotional, insensitive - and sometimes it hurts but I agree so I never say anything.
- When I feel upset/things don't go my way, I tend to blame myself for having high expectations or doing the wrong thing.
-I don't like to feel strong negative emotions because I don't really know what to do about it and it doesn't help anyway.
- I have poor empathy. When people squeal at how cute babies are, I pretend to understand why. I've been known to squee at cats though.
- I've always felt outside of social groups. I feel that it doesn't matter if I attend gatherings. I have a core group of friends that I meet semi-regularly but I don't really feel close to them. I blame this on my low self-esteem.
- When I make decisions, I find myself analysing instead of going with feeling, or trying to analyse my feeling which never works. People tell me to stop overthinking.
- I can get paralysed by decision-making. Sometimes I think this is down to a fear of commitment. Yet, sometimes I feel better when I have made a choice and there is a clear path of what to do.
- I tend to read up extensively on something that grabbed my interest somewhat compulsively and talk my partner's ears off about it.
- I enjoy debating on ideas. (eg what is the value of money? what does it mean to love someone?)
- On conflicts: I'm really bad at resolving them. I tend to walk away. It's hard for me to accept that I could be wrong and I think sometimes it has to do with a lack of self-acceptance.
I think I could go on but that will just result in a really long-assed post. I've tried to include examples of all the functions. I'll be very interested to hear what anyone else thinks.