• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How does this enneagram thing work?

EEW

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Hey,

It's the first time I heard of enneagram. What is it exactly? And how do you type it into your profile? (I see some peeps typing 5w6 os/ps or something -> what the hell does that mean :huh: xD)

Please help me :D

Oh, I did a test and I found out that 5 is defenitly my main one (thinker).

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
There's some good introductory information here: http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/intro.asp

The w stands for wing. So 5w6 is enneagram type 5 with a 6 wing. Wing theory is that for each enneagram type, they may take on characteristics of the two adjacent types which are referred to as wings. So for enneagram 5, this would be types 4 and 6. Some people strongly identify with these wings, others not as much. My experience has been most people can identify somewhat with both of the wings but one will be dominant. So a 5w6 identifies with the 6 characteristics more than 4. 5w4 identifies with 4 more than 6.

This gives an extra layer to enneagram typing.

There is also instinct theory. The three instincts are self-preservation (sp), social (so), and sexual (sx). People have all three of these instincts, but one tends to predominate, one has intermediate level of use, and the third is less used. This gives rise to an instinct stacking, or ranking of the instincts. A SP/SO/SX for example, relies on self-preservation the most, social second, and sexual the least. There are six possible stackings.

EEW

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
There's some good introductory information here: http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/intro.asp

The w stands for wing. So 5w6 is enneagram type 5 with a 6 wing. Wing theory is that for each enneagram type, they may take on characteristics of the two adjacent types which are referred to as wings. So for enneagram 5, this would be types 4 and 6. Some people strongly identify with these wings, others not as much. My experience has been most people can identify somewhat with both of the wings but one will be dominant. So a 5w6 identifies with the 6 characteristics more than 4. 5w4 identifies with 4 more than 6.

This gives an extra layer to enneagram typing.

There is also instinct theory. The three instincts are self-preservation (sp), social (so), and sexual (sx). People have all three of these instincts, but one tends to predominate, one has intermediate level of use, and the third is less used. This gives rise to an instinct stacking, or ranking of the instincts. A SP/SO/SX for example, relies on self-preservation the most, social second, and sexual the least. There are six possible stackings.
Ok, thanks for the detailed description. I'll read the site and collect some more information. I read that the instincts are related to the chakra's, is that true? (if so, what would be earth chakra as an instinct, then?)

Thanks again, partner-1-in-crime.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Ok, thanks for the detailed description. I'll read the site and collect some more information. I read that the instincts are related to the chakra's, is that true? (if so, what would be earth chakra as an instinct, then?)

Thanks again, partner-1-in-crime.

You welcome.

Sorry, I don't know anything about the chakras.

EEW

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh, I did a test and I found out that 5 is defenitly my main one (thinker).
whoa, you've got a rare type there

:hifive:

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

It's not a 1-1 type thing. More the excess or deficit of a certain chakra energy can roughly produce a persona that relates to an enneagram fixation. A root chakra that was too open, for instance, could produce an 8ish persona, while an overactive third eye might make someone seem more 5ish, ect.

ETA:
Oh I guess I misread your post somewhat. Instincts are just variants on the main e-type, so my point more or less stands.

EEW

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
It's not a 1-1 type thing. More the excess or deficit of a certain chakra energy can roughly produce a persona that relates to an enneagram fixation. A root chakra that was too open, for instance, could produce an 8ish persona, while an overactive third eye might make someone seem more 5ish, ect.

ETA:
Oh I guess I misread your post somewhat. Instincts are just variants on the main e-type, so my point more or less stands.
lol, okay.
I was just wondering if the site was babbling about it or not.
Guess not. Thanks.