User Tag List

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    TiNe

Default How does this enneagram thing work?

Hey,

It's the first time I heard of enneagram. What is it exactly? And how do you type it into your profile? (I see some peeps typing 5w6 os/ps or something -> what the hell does that mean xD)

Please help me

Oh, I did a test and I found out that 5 is defenitly my main one (thinker).

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

There's some good introductory information here: http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/intro.asp

The w stands for wing. So 5w6 is enneagram type 5 with a 6 wing. Wing theory is that for each enneagram type, they may take on characteristics of the two adjacent types which are referred to as wings. So for enneagram 5, this would be types 4 and 6. Some people strongly identify with these wings, others not as much. My experience has been most people can identify somewhat with both of the wings but one will be dominant. So a 5w6 identifies with the 6 characteristics more than 4. 5w4 identifies with 4 more than 6.

This gives an extra layer to enneagram typing.

There is also instinct theory. The three instincts are self-preservation (sp), social (so), and sexual (sx). People have all three of these instincts, but one tends to predominate, one has intermediate level of use, and the third is less used. This gives rise to an instinct stacking, or ranking of the instincts. A SP/SO/SX for example, relies on self-preservation the most, social second, and sexual the least. There are six possible stackings.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    TiNe

Quote Originally Posted by Such Irony View Post
    There's some good introductory information here: http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/intro.asp

The w stands for wing. So 5w6 is enneagram type 5 with a 6 wing. Wing theory is that for each enneagram type, they may take on characteristics of the two adjacent types which are referred to as wings. So for enneagram 5, this would be types 4 and 6. Some people strongly identify with these wings, others not as much. My experience has been most people can identify somewhat with both of the wings but one will be dominant. So a 5w6 identifies with the 6 characteristics more than 4. 5w4 identifies with 4 more than 6.

This gives an extra layer to enneagram typing.

There is also instinct theory. The three instincts are self-preservation (sp), social (so), and sexual (sx). People have all three of these instincts, but one tends to predominate, one has intermediate level of use, and the third is less used. This gives rise to an instinct stacking, or ranking of the instincts. A SP/SO/SX for example, relies on self-preservation the most, social second, and sexual the least. There are six possible stackings.
    Ok, thanks for the detailed description. I'll read the site and collect some more information. I read that the instincts are related to the chakra's, is that true? (if so, what would be earth chakra as an instinct, then?)

Thanks again, partner-1-in-crime.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by EEW View Post
    Ok, thanks for the detailed description. I'll read the site and collect some more information. I read that the instincts are related to the chakra's, is that true? (if so, what would be earth chakra as an instinct, then?)

Thanks again, partner-1-in-crime.
    You welcome.

Sorry, I don't know anything about the chakras.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    TiNe

Quote Originally Posted by Such Irony View Post
    You welcome.

Sorry, I don't know anything about the chakras.
    No problem. Now I have something to keep me interested for a while
    That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet~~ Shakespeare W.
    Pi is the number of my life, forever and ending.
    Reading is like meeting a new world, or even better: the world that is supposed to be.

Phlegmatic
    5w6 (60%) OR 7w6(40%) (I get both quite a lot on tests) Chakra: Root, Throat, Third Eye, Crown (open) - Rest (closed)
    Trifix: 5w6, 1w2, 3w2.
    INTP: I(87,5%)N(74%)T(91%)P(56%)
    Ti - Ne
    ENFP/J's

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Oh, I did a test and I found out that 5 is defenitly my main one (thinker).
    whoa, you've got a rare type there

-----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    TiNe

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    whoa, you've got a rare type there

C:
    Funny... Very funny.
    That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet~~ Shakespeare W.
    Reading is like meeting a new world, or even better: the world that is supposed to be.

Phlegmatic
    5w6 (60%) OR 7w6(40%) (I get both quite a lot on tests) Chakra: Root, Throat, Third Eye, Crown (open) - Rest (closed)
    Ti - Ne
    ENFP/J's

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

It's not a 1-1 type thing. More the excess or deficit of a certain chakra energy can roughly produce a persona that relates to an enneagram fixation. A root chakra that was too open, for instance, could produce an 8ish persona, while an overactive third eye might make someone seem more 5ish, ect.

ETA:
    Oh I guess I misread your post somewhat. Instincts are just variants on the main e-type, so my point more or less stands.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    TiNe

Quote Originally Posted by Wind-Up Rex View Post
    It's not a 1-1 type thing. More the excess or deficit of a certain chakra energy can roughly produce a persona that relates to an enneagram fixation. A root chakra that was too open, for instance, could produce an 8ish persona, while an overactive third eye might make someone seem more 5ish, ect.

ETA:
    Oh I guess I misread your post somewhat. Instincts are just variants on the main e-type, so my point more or less stands.
    lol, okay.
    I was just wondering if the site was babbling about it or not.
    Guess not. Thanks.

Phlegmatic
    Ti - Ne
    ENFP/J's