INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

Default Am I sx/so or sx/sp?

What's the difference?
    What kind of traits determine each?

I try to make people happy, not so they approve of me (although I do want approval), but because I like seeing people happy.
    I am pretty passive and agreeable until it comes to something I feel strongly about (then I get defensive and don't care who I offend).
    I care about looking good and having my life be as perfect as possible, but I'm not particularly concerned about my health, money or security. I simply want to gain happiness and completeness from perfection.
    I like being independent, but I'm emotional and spontaneous.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

You are, based on this self-description, more social than self-preservation - you are probably sx/so.

You have a focus on finding your rightful place with people and a dislike of restrictions.

(So) likes social harmony and (Sp) likes personal safety, and you clearly seem to like the former over the latter.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/sx

@RaptorWizard

So, do you mean to say that Sps will not sacrifice themselves for external things?
    Great men are like eagles, and build their nest on some lofty solitude.

Schopenhauer

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by Aesthete View Post
    @RaptorWizard

So, do you mean to say that Sps will not sacrifice themselves for external things?
    I thought they were very much into keeping themselves comforted, and materialism in the external realm seems like it can provide that to many. Correct me if I'm wrong.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    I thought they were very much into keeping themselves comforted, and materialism in the external realm seems like it can provide that to many. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    I don't know. I'm not familiar with instinctual variants, so I wanted some clarification rather than to prove you wrong. I meant to ask if an sp would sacrifice oneself for another regardless of whether the other can be of potential comfort or not.
    Great men are like eagles, and build their nest on some lofty solitude.

Schopenhauer

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

You sound more Sx/So.

Essentially the difference is that either the intensity of Sx is softened by So's need to preserve its safe place in the big scheme of things, or brought into higher contrast by Sp's need to focus on personal resources, making Sx/So more "magnetic" and Sx/Sp more "edgy". Sx/Sp is more fire-and-ice while Sx/So is more of a warm hearth. Sx/Sp is more all-or-nothing while Sx/So is more internally wavering but more externally consistent.

@Bumblyjack (Sx/Sp) wrote what I think was one of the best-ever comparisons between the two: "The Sx/Sp ideal is to run away with their love and leave all the world behind [while the] Sx/So ideal is not to run away but to stand and fight, tearing down the walls..."

It may be easier to determine your last priority, rather than your 2nd. I know I'm Sp-last because I always leave resource focus until it absolutely has to be attended to, I rarely ever worry about it, and my personal needs just don't have much of an effect on my day-to-day operation. I tend to wear myself tired and not get enough sleep all the time because I always prioritize being with my family or reading about interesting things. I'm a complete Sp fail. The Sx/Sp would let So involvement fall to the wayside instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Aesthete
    So, do you mean to say that Sps will not sacrifice themselves for external things? [...]

I meant to ask if an sp would sacrifice oneself for another regardless of whether the other can be of potential comfort or not.
    My boyfriend is an Sp/Sx, and I know that he often will sacrifice his time and comfort because he cares about people in general and their wellbeing, not because it will make things easier for him. He is a comfort seeker and protective of his resources, but in the long run, I think it evens out, as Sps naturally have more resources to give because they are more careful about allocation. Being Sx/So, I'm probably more willing to just jump into external things, but I also generally have less resources to do so.

Interestingly, if given preference, I think that what he tends to do is include those important to him in his resource allocation - in other words, he will try to ensure comfort for everyone by sacrificing resources up front, so that he can work around it, rather than having to sacrifice it down the line when it's harder to shift things around.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    You sound more Sx/So.

Essentially the difference is that either the intensity of Sx is softened by So's need to preserve its safe place in the big scheme of things, or brought into higher contrast by Sp's need to focus on personal resources, making Sx/So "magnetic" and Sx/Sp "edgy". Sx/Sp is more fire-and-ice while Sx/So is more of a warm hearth.
    That's funny because I've seen exactly the opposite being expressed, that sx/so is more about fire and ice.

Sx/Sp is more all-or-nothing while Sx/So is more internally wavering but more externally consistent.
    I can agree with that sx/sp has more of an all or nothing attitude.

I was waiting for the day you and I would meet.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Youtuber | The Typologist Blog | Redditor | Message me!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by LeaT View Post
    That's funny because I've seen exactly the opposite being expressed, that sx/so is more about fire and ice.

I can agree with that sx/sp has more of an all or nothing attitude.
    Well, it may depend on the comparison. I figure Sx/So would be fire-and-ice in comparison with So/Sx whose warmth is more constant and less wavering in intensity. I was trying to give her a relativistic viewpoint, since she's already determined Sx first.

What I meant by fire-and-ice is essentially the same as all-or-nothing. I think that Sx/So is more like fire-or-fight... we're either totally with you or we're fighting against you. I guess because of the binding of So, it's very hard to do ice-ish personal removal.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    Well, it may depend on the comparison. I figure Sx/So would be fire-and-ice in comparison with So/Sx whose warmth is more constant and less wavering in intensity. I was trying to give her a relativistic viewpoint, since she's already determined Sx first.
    Fair enough. I agree that so/sx is kind of stable and smooth and sp/sx is more like a rock.

I was waiting for the day you and I would meet.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Youtuber | The Typologist Blog | Redditor | Message me!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by LeaT View Post
    Fair enough. I agree that so/sx is kind of stable and smooth and sp/sx is more like a rock.
    Yeah, exactly. So smooths and Sp anchors.