User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    IxFx
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sx

Default Is it Possible to...

...have a certain functional order preference, but not see yourself at all in its manifested "type" descriptions? I understand that those are two different things (er, I think?), but shouldn't there be some commonalities?

Is it more likely that I am not understanding the/some functions, or that I have a blind spot to my own tendencies and/or functional preferences? Is an easier understanding of a function[s] necessarily indicative of a stronger preference[s]?

I think I am probably Si-Fe, yet I fail to see any shred of myself in ISFJ descriptions; I want to know why this is. I know that we are all individuals, and no one is going to identify completely with any given type description, but shouldn't s/he identify with SOME of it?

I dunno. Help, please?

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

This is completely normal.

Type descriptions, especially the majority found online, are generally written from a view of what certain functions people have come to assume will produce certain traits. However this is not set in stone and nor is behaviour the best example of what goes on behind the eyes of an individual in cognition.

The functions themselves can be somewhat flimsy too given their being open to intepretation and many will imprint their personal experience of particular people in their lives upon certain functions. This makes it hard for that person to see the variety of individuals that are still the same type.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    ? sx/so

Yes, Jung's functions and MBTI are two different things indeed. It's weird that you see NOTHING at all in common with the ISFJ type, but I think that's ok. Plus, I observed that ISFJs tend to differ a lot from each other, and their type description often seems way too generical... But that's just me.

Anyway, the more deep I get to know myself and other people, the more I see how the MBTI gotta be used just as some identifying tool rather than an individualistic describing tool.

MBTI
    IxFx
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sx

Thank you, both. I think I will settle in with my ISFJness... for now.

I'm especially guilty of this, I think:

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    ... and many will imprint their personal experience of particular people in their lives upon certain functions. This makes it hard for that person to see the variety of individuals that are still the same type.
    Couldn't that itself even be an Si-ish thing? Heh.

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

What in the type descriptions do you not agree with? And yes, it is entirely possible. It's rarely the what and mostly the why. Even if you find a more specific description it is only a net that captures patterns of behavior, it is not absolute. I've known INFP's 5w4's that looked like INTJ's on the surface, I saw my INTP brother appear ENFJ-ish after a terrible breakup.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tabula View Post
    Couldn't that itself even be an Si-ish thing? Heh.
    Maybe. I find it is generally just a human thing. Experience as a word describes more than just S types.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    IxFx
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sx

^ Meh, I guess you're right. I still suck at this shit.

You should keep in mind that a lot of descriptions are written by NTPs, who are mostly infantile man-children, and wish to have most of the laborious realities of "sensor" existence taken care of for them. So they've created an ideal out of SFJ types, who are happy to spoonfeed and change diapers.

MBTI
    IxFx
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Huxley3112 View Post
    What in the type descriptions do you not agree with? And yes, it is entirely possible. It's rarely the what and mostly the why. Even if you find a more specific description it is only a net that captures patterns of behavior, it is not absolute. I've known INFP's 5w4's that looked like INTJ's on the surface, I saw my INTP brother appear ENFJ-ish after a terrible breakup.
    I find it hard to relate to the portrait of an ISFJ as a selfless duty-fulfilling drone thing. But, I suppose anyone probably would, yeah? Also, it probably bears mentioning that I have ADHD. Or maybe it doesn't. I understand that it's not a type-related thing, but I do think it has significantly impacted my ability to not only figure out my type, but figure out myself. Once I was able to place some of my behavioral inconsistencies and general dissonant/vaguely uncomfortable feelings toward some things into that ADHD framework, it all made much more sense. I DO prefer punctuality, value closure, hard work, following through on obligations, etc. etc., but those are also the very things affected by the suckage that is my executive functioning.

I'm babbling.

tl;dr: I find it hard to relate to the detail-orientation, traditionalism, and responsible picture of ISFJs. Also, I think probably just answered all my own questions, likely rendering this thread completely pointless...

But I like input!

MBTI
    IxFx
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    You should keep in mind that a lot of descriptions are written by NTPs, who are mostly infantile man-children, and wish to have most of the laborious realities of "sensor" existence taken care of for them. So they've created an ideal out of SFJ types, who are happy to spoonfeed and change diapers.

Hehe. As long as said spoonfeeding and diaper-changing isn't FOR the adult NTPs, I shall be okay with this.

Also, please don't make me do taxes. Can we summon the NTPs to delegate this one to the STJs, please?