User Tag List

123 Last

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Default Can there be a non-senstive xNFP?

One of the main reasons I think I'm not INFP and probably not ENFP is that I'm not sensitive. Really. In any respect. I'm physically sensitive, but that's another story. I can't remember the last time I got my feelings hurt, and if it happened I didn't register it. Especially if people try to hurt my feelings- I'll be somewhat displeased that they are mad at me if that's the case, but usually I'll just be thinking "whatever, they're stupid. Obviously that's not true." Or, "I guess I need to let them cool off and then apologize for whatever I did." Or, "well that person sure is bad tempered." And if they are a stranger I don't care. I do care about my reputation and whether I am collectively liked, but it's not something I'm going to cry over- I'll just conclude my social skills suck. I used to be picked on in school, but it never really bothered me. I'd just try to make a joke out of things and see what I could learn from the experience (about how to present myself and interact with people).

I'm not easily offended either. If someone says something that goes against my principles I might feel passionate, but I'm not going to attack their character. When I was a teenager in my morally immature phase I had a more black and white viewpoint and thought all Republicans were evil and fundamentally ignorant, but I quickly evolved past that. The two things I get righteously indignant about are sexism and the environment, and I am more than willing to look at things objectively and not assume an interpretation of what someone says or does.

As for sensitivity to others' feelings: I am aware of people's emotions, but not very good at responding to them and anticipating how they will respond emotionally to things. In fact, I can be pretty terrible at it. I didn't learn how to do it adequately until very recently, and I'm almost 30. Before that I'd just be like, "well that sucks. Let me help you solve the problem. Don't touch me. And go away as soon as possible." I used to offend people all the time and be confused as to why, and then my first inclination was to blame them for being overly sensitive and unreasonable instead of apologize.

So...yeah. Can this be at all compatible with NFP?

MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Hi there - your results have you down as an INTP or an ENTP. I was going to suggest ENTP, then I noticed that. I also notice that Fi is your lowest function, if the results on the bottom of your page are in order? So I was wondering, why did you think you might be xNFP? I am new to this but people are telling me the functions are the best way to figure out your true type. You come up INTP quite clearly really. Why do you think you might not be one?

Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    One of the main reasons I think I'm not INFP and probably not ENFP is that I'm not sensitive. Really. In any respect. I'm physically sensitive, but that's another story. I can't remember the last time I got my feelings hurt, and if it happened I didn't register it. Especially if people try to hurt my feelings- I'll be somewhat displeased that they are mad at me if that's the case, but usually I'll just be thinking "whatever, they're stupid. Obviously that's not true." Or, "I guess I need to let them cool off and then apologize for whatever uI did." Or, "well that person sure is bad tempered." mAnd if they are a stranger I don't care. I do care about my reputation and whether I am collectively liked, but it's not something I'm going to cry over- I'll just conclude my social skills suck. I used to be picked on in school, but it never really bothered me. I'd just try to make a joke out of things and see what I could learn from the experience (about how to present myself and interact with people).

I'm not easily offended either. If someone says something that goes against my principles I might feel passionate, but I'm not going to attack their character. When I was a teenager in my morally immature phase I had a more black and white viewpoint and thought all Republicans were evil and fundamentally ignorant, but I quickly evolved past that. The two things I get righteously indignant about are sexism and the environment, and I am more than willing to look at things objectively and not assume an interpretation of what someone says or does.

As for sensitivity to others' feelings: I am aware of people's emotions, but not very good at responding to them and anticipating how they will respond emotionally to things. In fact, I can be pretty terrible at it. I didn't learn how to do it adequately until very recently, and I'm almost 30. Before that I'd just be like, "well that sucks. Let me help you solve the problem. Don't touch me. And go away as soon as possible." I used to offend people all the time and be confused as to why, and then my first inclination was to blame them for being overly sensitive and unreasonable instead of apologize.

So...yeah. Can this be at all compatible with NFP?
    When looking at function definition alone I do not see how strong Fi would lead to sensitivity. If I were to have a guess I would suspect Fi shares parts of the brain with "that which makes you sensitive" and sensitivity is a side effect. I believe I have HSP and sensitive but at times it is like a game of battleships where the area to hit and set it off isn't clear.

My advice is to study all you can about Fi, Ti and how they are similar and disimilar. Fi dominance is only hard to spot (IMO) if you are unsure exactly what you are looking for.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

Non-sensitive as in not overly sentimental? Definitely. Fi is about depth of feeling, not dazzle of emotive display. They know other people so well because they burrow in emotion. Also, Fx and Tx are rational functions. If either is your dominant, that would cause you to do things based upon solid and palpable grounds, not sensational or abstract methods such as Nx or Sx.
    I N V I C T U S

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by KatharineML View Post
    Hi there - your results have you down as an INTP or an ENTP. I was going to suggest ENTP, then I noticed that. I also notice that Fi is your lowest function, if the results on the bottom of your page are in order? So I was wondering, why did you think you might be xNFP? I am new to this but people are telling me the functions are the best way to figure out your true type. You come up INTP quite clearly really. Why do you think you might not be one?
    Haha. Glad you agree. People have suggested INFP in the past (often quite strongly), and so I just wanted to further rule out the possibility that I am completely incorrect. Not that I really think so.
    @Standuble @Thursday: I'm going by descriptions (both general and personal), observations of people I know, and what people have said about themselves and other people they know. Fi is always described as making people sensitive. I just find it improbable and wanted to check is all. I don't mean not overly sentimental, just sensitive in general, both to your own and other people's feelings.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

My "professional" methodology is to assess if you "feel" like an NFP.

And, you don't feel like one to me.

So, there you go, fwiw.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Oh good. Another greenfairy "type me" thread. I knew this forum was missing something lately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

@greenfairy - How would a function which simply determines what one values and what they don't value be causal to sensitivity? Sounds to me that the people in question have labelled a confused, incongruent mess as Fi.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

@Standuble Your post got me to thinking! I hope you don't mind some interjection from me.

I think what people value isn't determined by Fi, so much as Fi interprets that person's world according to what one values. The values come from beliefs, which exist far deeper than where Fi functions.

Like this (layers from top to bottom):

Actions
    Fi/Ti
    ego
    values
    beliefs/subconscious
    emotions
    ~~~~~~~~~
    unconscious

Like Fi functions superficially, yet internally. It sort of assesses and asks, "Is this in line with what ego says is okay (which is itself driven by underlying deep-seated beliefs)?" It's not really, imo, a deep function necessarily, though I suppose it could be. I just think it's important to delineate that Fi is not necessarily your true nature or true individual belief regarding something--it's usually a slave of your learned beliefs, which may or may not really be who you are personally. This disconnect between learned beliefs and intrinsic beliefs is what causes so many problems and conflict intra-person! And is possibly, for example, why someone has a hard time 'loving' themselves. Perhaps they've learned and laid in one belief which results in a set of values, but realize down the line they actually are drawn to something else entirely! Like gender or sexual identity, for example.

I guess my point is, in this rambling post, is that just because Fi says something, or Ti informs about something, it doesn't necessarily mean that is the ultimate truth for the whole person. It just means that at that current time, it is attempting to align with the current beliefs (which are actually buried within the subconscious), and may even, ironically, have little to do with who the current individual really is!

Fi/Ti/Ni/Si are all functions which attempt to assess our inner world, but they go on what they are told by ego and underlying belief. Which are based on learned environmental experiences as one grows. So they are only as 'true' as that, unless one has soul-searched and experienced an alchemical (thanks INTP!) spiritual process to attain a specific and true belief for them.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Standuble View Post
    @greenfairy - How would a function which simply determines what one values and what they don't value be causal to sensitivity? Sounds to me that the people in question have labelled a confused, incongruent mess as Fi.
    Interesting point, but if there's anything to this whole typology business one has to assume that there are certain behaviors and proclivities which correspond meaningfully to certain functions. So, in the case of Fi, the fact that one looks through the world through the prism of one's internal value system might make one more prone to react when the values that comprise that system have been violated. To others who don't prioritise their Fi as highly, this could be construed as being "overly sensitive".

To answer the OP, yes there can be insensitive NFPs. FPs in general can be callous as a motherfucker when they wanna be.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth