• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Can you be an "ambivert" on all the letters? Hehe

wonders

MBTI Type
Ti
Enneagram
Id
Well see title. But yeah ok assuming I have such things as preferences, please help figure them out. :hi: :wonders:

I/E - Really fuzzy on this one. I can function very well doing my things alone. Otoh, I like to see new people, however if I get bored, I'll get away from the group and feel better that way, refreshed finally doing whatever I want to do even if it's just walking around wherever I want to go. Yet I like being in a crowd, there's more to see then, more chance for anything, and just feel more alive overall with more stimuli. Overall, I could function fine on an island alone but it'd be more interesting and just more... more alive with other people. But I can see myself not wanting to talk to them at times when I want to check out something else that's just taken my interest. Then, I often talk before thinking but I can spend time with thinking for long if needed to put something complex together nicely, that just takes mental energy but ok as an interesting challenge when I have the patience for it.

F/T - Might be the easiest dichotomy to decide. When I want to sort out something, I take into account impersonal aspects automatically. Otoh I try to be nice on a general level to people. I like to accommodate others and I don't go around intentionally hurting people, would have a hard time doing that, e.g. prefer not telling someone their clothes aren't so great unless it's necessary, still I can come off as rude a lot when I don't pay attention, as I easily question what's said regardless of authority or feelings because I just like to present the truth and/or like discovering explanation for whatever and I don't think of niceties then at all. Weird but seem to have a hard time holding constant feelings like hatred or love towards someone else as a person (well ok the love thing is complex). Still, I think I like emotional expression just not sure about introspecting about feelings. I don't think I'm truly likable, superficially ok but I don't think I can keep the true interest and love of others for long, sure maybe overly pessimistic here, it's just how I feel about this, though if I don't think deep about this topic then I'm always optimistic about my being likable by others, so whatever, maybe just temporarily pessimistic. In general I do like people though, always curious about everyone etc.

S/N - I really think I can do both. I don't try to go around generating ideas all day but I like to see essence of some abstract things that interest me much and I could intuitively find special solutions in some subjects in school and later in work. I've got and like my AHA moments. :) I like concrete parts of life, love paying attention to such aspects, from clothing to sports, but spending life with just that on its own isn't meaningful enough. The abstract and the concrete to me are two distinct things though, I don't mix them up. Then, I don't daydream about my own life by default, I prefer reality over that and even when I was feeling down (I don't ever feel any of that for long) and I wouldn't get out of bed right away and then would have more dreams than usual those were just real REM dreams, not daydreaming, nor lucid dreams so take this for whatever it's worth...probably not a point for intuition here. However I can be very good with fiction, I've even written my own fiction stuff and I can get really immersed in that kind of imagination. Also, I'm aware of environment in an overall way and very aware of the spatial details and quite aware of aesthetics but not the other details. The same for my memory, I recall overall scene and spatial arrangement of things but not all the close details because who cares about that, well unless it's some object(s) that I really like or would like to own, play with, etc., otherwise nope.

J/P - I can strongly appear as either of these. I can do things according to strict plan when highly motivated to reach my goal and I can obsess about keeping to little details in the plan. I like to be thorough enough with work, not a perfectionist though. Yet, usually I can go around improvising anytime, plan on the fly, change that and so on. When I get up, I usually don't know yet how my day will go. I can't keep a strict hourly timetable if not forced, something will always change a bit.

Then there's functions but huh, let's start with just the four letters first, I don't want to be too long to read. :doh: Though of course if you have suggestions on function preferences based on the above text, I will be even more glad to hear about those than just the generic dichotomies.

Thanks! :D

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This means at the very least, you're a P. :p

wonders

MBTI Type
Ti
Enneagram
Id
Thanks for the replies!

:yes: xxFPs are always the ones who think they're too unique to be categorized.

So we found you two of 'em, OP! You're a Fi dom or aux.

Where did I say that I'm too unique to be categorized? Please point it out, thank you.

Clearly, if I thought that, I would not have asked you all about how to categorize my preferences.

This of course does not exclude a strong Fi preference but I would like to hear more arguments about this

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
You can, but then you will never become a pro :)

Usehername

On a mission
Thanks for the replies!

Where did I say that I'm too unique to be categorized? Please point it out, thank you.

Clearly, if I thought that, I would not have asked you all about how to categorize my preferences.

This of course does not exclude a strong Fi preference but I would like to hear more arguments about this

You didn't say it, you're right. If I'm making an evidence-based claim here, then I would point to the hundreds of similar threads before you that start like this and within a few months of hanging around here and learning more, they put xxFP in their profile. :)

wonders

MBTI Type
Ti
Enneagram
Id
You didn't say it, you're right. If I'm making an evidence-based claim here, then I would point to the hundreds of similar threads before you that start like this and within a few months of hanging around here and learning more, they put xxFP in their profile. :)

Ah, well, ironically enough I mentioned the T/F dichotomy might be the easiest to decide for me and I wasn't thinking Fi there but maybe I was wrong there.

I prefer to get rid of any biases of mine anyway to examine this as closely as possible.

Btw is there some set of questions on this site that you guys like to use to help with typing? I looked but didn't see anything so far

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This makes it likely, but one can't make assumptions. I think using this as a sole criterion is very risky.

[MENTION=17771]wonders[/MENTION], what you said on the T/F issue is pretty much exactly true of me. And I think I am an ambivert on all the letters except N. For the record, I identify myself as iNtp, but it's not a strong association at all. And it's because of lots of obsessive research and analysis, and concluding that I fit it and the cognitive function order the most closely of all, even though I don't fit it very well.

Most people were convinced I was INFP at the start, and many still believe it. Don't be swayed too much by the masses. I could still of course turn out to be xNFP, but that would make like 90% of my reasoning invalid, which I think is unlikely. I think I am too unique to be neatly categorized, but I have always wanted very much to be, which is contrary to the -NFP-ness. It's more due to seeing so many seeming contradictions.

I'm actually thinking you are a T (with a very slight preference).

I'm confident you are a slight to moderate P, with Ne preference. Probably genuine ambivert on I/E. So...xntP!

You seem about 85% like me too, which supports my conclusion.

If you really want to be sure, start reading about the differences between extraverted and introverted versions of the functions (such as Fe vs. Fi), and definitely look at the inferior functions. See if inferior Si or Fe fits you- if so I'm likely right.

Of course I could be totally wrong; only you can know.

wonders

MBTI Type
Ti
Enneagram
Id
(...)
Of course I could be totally wrong; only you can know.

Thanks for your analysis. :) Will definitely check out the inferior functions. Can you tell me more about how you got to P and Ne preference / what do you base these guesses on? What do we seem to share about those? Thanks again :)

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thanks for your analysis. :) Will definitely check out the inferior functions. Can you tell me more about how you got to P and Ne preference / what do you base these guesses on? What do we seem to share about those? Thanks again :)

P because of your general speaking style- it's more meandering and speculative than most J's. The fact that you don't stick to a time table unless you have to and the fact that you change and modify your plans semi-spontaneously also says P, and it's another thing we share (along with the first). Ne because you mention liking a lot of stimuli, and Ne is about that, but mentally as opposed to physically. Se likes sensory stimulation and thrills. You like sports, but I think Si can do that too. I read somewhere that ENTP's sometimes seem to introvert in order to mentally assimilate all the information they've taken in, and it looked like what you said pointed to that.

Then again, I'm not too familiar with Se since it's not one of my preferred functions, so perhaps the mental stuff could be Ti and Ni, and you could be XSTP (although you don't seem very much like ISTP). Ne just jumped out at me. I'd have to know more to make a good guess between Ne and Se. One possible contradiction to ENTP; you said you don't try to generate ideas all the time, and ENTP's are all about that. I may have to retract my Ne guess and say XSTP...

I'm looking forward to typing you. :)

KatharineML

MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
ENTP is my guess. Definitely a P. Unlikely to be an F which also might make you think you are an introvert but you generally strike me as being interested in the outside world, more than the inner. Mental examination you said was fun but required effort. This is very ENTP, from what I know of my one ;)
ESTP, not sure if you'd even be on this site?

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ENTP is my guess. Definitely a P. Unlikely to be an F which also might make you think you are an introvert but you generally strike me as being interested in the outside world, more than the inner. Mental examination you said was fun but required effort. This is very ENTP, from what I know of my one ;)
Yeah, I know one who took the test and seemed somewhat interested, but I don't think he's the kind of person to get into ideas enough to be on a website dedicated to theoretical things.

KatharineML

MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Yeah, I know one who took the test and seemed somewhat interested, but I don't think he's the kind of person to get into ideas enough to be on a website dedicated to theoretical things.

Gosh, what you said made me realise for the first time that this really is a website devoted to totally theoretical things! The thought surprised me. I realise think of these kinds of ideas and discussions as factual, simply because I believe them (at the moment) I guess ... What function am I using there (I'm new to this stuff so trying to learn)?

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Gosh, what you said made me realise for the first time that this really is a website devoted to totally theoretical things! The thought surprised me. I realise think of these kinds of ideas and discussions as factual, simply because I believe them (at the moment) I guess ... What function am I using there (I'm new to this stuff so trying to learn)?

I guess Te or Se?

Yeah, it's kind of disconcerting to think that it's all just theory- it's addictive, and the more you get into it and try to apply it to people the more real and factual it seems- but it's really about on par with astrology (imo). (Which I am also into too much...)

KatharineML

MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I guess Te or Se?

Yeah, it's kind of disconcerting to think that it's all just theory- it's addictive, and the more you get into it and try to apply it to people the more real and factual it seems- but it's really about on par with astrology (imo). (Which I am also into too much...)

Really? I thought Jung based all this on observation? Astrology ... tell me more about the foundations of this, I have no idea but am interested?!

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Really? I thought Jung based all this on observation? Astrology ... tell me more about the foundations of this, I have no idea but am interested?!
Well now that I think you are INTP, and you don't use either Te or Se, I'd have to retract my guesses and say...rampant Ti. It gets obsessed with theory tot he point where it seems like it is reality rather than simply illustrating it.

I guess he did; I don't know which came first, the theory or the observation. My guess is that they reinforced each other. I don't know a whole lot about Jung- just a fair amount about the typology system (because NTP's like systems).

My explanation of astrology is not relevant to the thread, and would be rather impolite to write here, so I'll PM it to you. :)

wonders

MBTI Type
Ti
Enneagram
Id
P because of your general speaking style- it's more meandering and speculative than most J's. The fact that you don't stick to a time table unless you have to and the fact that you change and modify your plans semi-spontaneously also says P, and it's another thing we share (along with the first). Ne because you mention liking a lot of stimuli, and Ne is about that, but mentally as opposed to physically. Se likes sensory stimulation and thrills. You like sports, but I think Si can do that too. I read somewhere that ENTP's sometimes seem to introvert in order to mentally assimilate all the information they've taken in, and it looked like what you said pointed to that.

Then again, I'm not too familiar with Se since it's not one of my preferred functions, so perhaps the mental stuff could be Ti and Ni, and you could be XSTP (although you don't seem very much like ISTP). Ne just jumped out at me. I'd have to know more to make a good guess between Ne and Se. One possible contradiction to ENTP; you said you don't try to generate ideas all the time, and ENTP's are all about that. I may have to retract my Ne guess and say XSTP...

I'm looking forward to typing you. :)

In my original post, I didn't really make a distinction about what kind of stimuli I like. Hmm well I'd actually have a hard time choosing between the mental and the physical. They're very different but both are good. So this Ne/Se question isn't clear to me either. :)

Yeah I'm not terribly into the brainstorming thing. I can come up with ideas for specific goals but that's about it, not interested in it for the sake of it. Looking into ideas is interesting only if it helps me more *deeply* understand something or achieve a goal. Don't know if that has to exclude Ne or just excludes dom Ne.

When I talked about internal thinking to put something together, that sort of stuff is always about some intellectual challenge related to math/logic, requiring calculations, conclusions, solution of a problem; I don't do assimilating of information from memory on a conscious level. By default I just get the whatever information in one ear, and then it goes out the other ear... I don't ruminate on it. Though, interestingly enough I'm always able to pull up pieces of data for specific tasks if needed. It's a very context-based/related thing for me.

Do I seem too extraverted to be ISTP / dom Ti? Or is it something else?

Btw what specifically is the 15% difference between us? :)

Thanks for your input too. :)

Yeah intellectual challenge: fun because it's a challenge & requires effort or it wouldn't be a challenge. Ha.

Can you tell me more about what this ENTP friend of yours said about mental effort?

As for ESTP, I take it there's never been any ESTPs (or ESFPs) on this site then?

Umm, personally I look at some posts as talking about facts (e.g. person talking about something concrete in their life) and some as theorizing/speculation. Believing it is entirely another topic. :) Anyway, you could be processing the information on this site in many ways, so I wouldn't try to answer this for you based on so little data & I'm definitely not enough of an expert anyway.

wonders

MBTI Type
Ti
Enneagram
Id
Btw I checked out the inferior functions thingie... I see myself in some of the stuff in the threads about inf Fe, Fi, Si, Ni. Whatever that may mean, lol.

Specifically:

Inferior Fe:
- Logic emphasized to an extreme
- Hypersensitivity to relationships
- Emotionalism

Inferior Fi:
- Outbursts of emotion

Inferior Si:
- Withdrawal and depression
- Focus on the body

Inferior Ni:
- Internal confusion
- Inappropriate attribution of meaning

Really, when under stress, I don't have just one specific pattern of response. E.g. I can be withdrawn and distant, low on energy, doing nothing; or the opposite, I can be seen attacking others or act out anger, frustration, confronting the issue to solve it until exhaustion, etc. Anyway... I'm not usually stressed for long but there was one extreme period where I got into the symptoms of inferior Si and Ni as mentioned above, that was quite new to me.