Ultimately only one.
    144 - 128 = 4 X 4

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    The conclusion means ambiversion is the position of the divider- which does not change.
    You can be ambivert on all the letters. The position does not change. It is the same position, on all the letters. Eventually, one X.

It is simple. The types type four letters. 9 is the key.
    I tried to work out the answer to the OP. MBTI is about math anyway.
    Interesting...number patterns are cool. But I don't yet understand it. That's ok.

MBTI
    Ti
    Enneagram
    Id
    Socionics
    Ti

Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    "One problem with ESTP is that the stereotype is totally against any kind of interest in the abstract. That's not true for me." - Would you explain a bit more?
    Well, for example, I can read about abstract or theoretical topics just fine and it can be interesting just fine, also thinking a bit past what I'm reading about. I don't do this every day but I can enjoy it for a while. Math, science, philosophical things... (Otoh, I'm no good with literature/poetry analysis/not interested in that.) Though I'm through with a big part of philosophy and such, a lot of it is always about the same things, same kinds of thoughts and the concepts are often not defined or anchored to reality in a good enough way, invalidating many of the reasonings. My view/opinion anyway. Some of it can still be interesting Just for kicks btw, I should find an example for you that I recently read and that really bugged me... it was a thought experiment to prove something by some recent famous philosopher displaying no knowledge of some basic science understanding. :P

I listed 3, but I meant Fe plus whatever is opposite your perceiving function (either Si or Ni).
    Okay. Don't want to nitpick unnecessarily

Me- Ni just a bit, as in panicking and making assumptions- but it's always with some sort of an Fe-Ti flavor, like so and so thinks this about me or this reflects my incompetence, etc. So definitely Fe and Si. Si because I eat a lot when under stress, sleep a lot, worry about my health, and sometimes get itchy. Fe more than Si but I can see the influence, which fits because I've lived most of my life as an introvert even though my natural state I think is slightly extroverted or in the middle.
    I see. I don't have the Si stuff like you do. I did occupy myself with some health worries in a period but otherwise it's not characteristic for me under stress. Same period had me display some Ni inferior symptoms, which is again not so characteristic for me by default, so whatever... Btw, maybe the same is true for me about I vs E, I was living quite some part of my life with introverted life style in a social sense even though it may not have been optimal for me. Now of course I/E is not just social introversion/extraversion, supposedly.

Quote Originally Posted by KatharineML View Post
    he loves looking out at the universe and freaking out about how insanely big it is.
    I like to think of that myself on some days... but can he spend all day with that or what? Does he talk specifics about this topic? I kind of just get a bit "spiritual" feeling about the universe, for a short time, occasionally.

If you use Ni more it is VERY possible that you are ISTP and thus using Ni as tertiary. From what I know, they are hands on learners as well. The pre existing Ti judgement might not be something you are aware of as you 'get in there' to figure something out.
    Your last sentence here, I'll have to think about that. How would I get aware of it?

The ISTP I know well is definitely not verbal, but likes to be in the action, among people etc, and is surprisingly intelligent and thoughtful underneath a 'bullet points', keep it simple, demeanor. I don't know if that helps you though - I'm sure all ISTP's are different from one another since we are all unique!! Gotta remember that!!
    I'm not a simple person for sure. But I don't see ISTP as a simple type It seems pretty special to me, that Ti+Se combination... being theoretical yet practical. And weird too, I've looked at some ISTP posts/sites and the way some of the ISTP's are so extremely asocial is a bit alien to me.. now maybe those are just the extreme ISTP's

Ambivert on all the letters?

Four letters. Eight functions.
    8 X 4 = 32
    2(32) = 64 = 8 X 8
    Where is the X?

1 + 8 = 9
    4 + 32 = 36
    4(32) = 128
    2 X 18 = 36

4 X 36 = 100 + 44 = 72 X 2
    2(27) = 44 + (t)1

Four Xs?
    Ultimately only one.
    144 - 128 = 4 X 4
    Greenfairy already asked questions to you before I had the chance to do so myself, so I've been following this number game in silence but now I'll say I (still) don't understand the numbers here, especially not the logic about 4 letters and 8 functions. It's more like, 4 letters and 2 possible dichotomies for each (E/I, S/N, F/T, P/J). (Or, 4 positions, NOT letters and 2 functions, selectable from 8 and then from 2 and that determines the rest.) So what's this 32 number? And why only 1 X instead of 4? Why does 64 and then 9 get introduced? Definitely missing the explanations/reasons for a lot of steps in these calculations.. If you feel like fleshing out what each step means here then by all means feel free to do so.

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by wonders View Post
    Greenfairy already asked questions to you before I had the chance to do so myself, so I've been following this number game in silence but now I'll say I (still) don't understand the numbers here, especially not the logic about 4 letters and 8 functions. It's more like, 4 letters and 2 possible dichotomies for each (E/I, S/N, F/T, P/J). (Or, 4 positions, NOT letters and 2 functions, selectable from 8 and then from 2 and that determines the rest.) So what's this 32 number? And why only 1 X instead of 4? Why does 64 and then 9 get introduced? Definitely missing the explanations/reasons for a lot of steps in these calculations.. If you feel like fleshing out what each step means here then by all means feel free to do so.
    Wow. You understood that way better than I did. I think I got a certain gist of it, but it was an entirely different line of thinking, like the mathematical patterns in the symmetry of the universe. Which might even have been unrelated. lol

This tells me you are indeed a T. Also I am becoming more convinced that you are xSTP (yes, including the x). S's can still think abstractly, they just prefer it to be grounded in concrete reality in some way. Everyone has both an N function and an S function- but one will be in service to the other. It seems like your S preference is weak, yet your abstract thought is consistently subservient to your concrete experience.

Just my assessment.

I wonder why I initially thought Ne? Maybe just because it's the perceiving function I am most familiar with and P stood out at me.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by wonders View Post
    Well, for example, I can read about abstract or theoretical topics just fine and it can be interesting just fine, also thinking a bit past what I'm reading about. I don't do this every day but I can enjoy it for a while. Math, science, philosophical things... (Otoh, I'm no good with literature/poetry analysis/not interested in that.) Though I'm through with a big part of philosophy and such, a lot of it is always about the same things, same kinds of thoughts and the concepts are often not defined or anchored to reality in a good enough way, invalidating many of the reasonings. My view/opinion anyway. Some of it can still be interesting Just for kicks btw, I should find an example for you that I recently read and that really bugged me... it was a thought experiment to prove something by some recent famous philosopher displaying no knowledge of some basic science understanding. :P

Okay. Don't want to nitpick unnecessarily

I see. I don't have the Si stuff like you do. I did occupy myself with some health worries in a period but otherwise it's not characteristic for me under stress. Same period had me display some Ni inferior symptoms, which is again not so characteristic for me by default, so whatever... Btw, maybe the same is true for me about I vs E, I was living quite some part of my life with introverted life style in a social sense even though it may not have been optimal for me. Now of course I/E is not just social introversion/extraversion, supposedly.

I like to think of that myself on some days... but can he spend all day with that or what? Does he talk specifics about this topic? I kind of just get a bit "spiritual" feeling about the universe, for a short time, occasionally.

Your last sentence here, I'll have to think about that. How would I get aware of it?

I'm not a simple person for sure. But I don't see ISTP as a simple type It seems pretty special to me, that Ti+Se combination... being theoretical yet practical. And weird too, I've looked at some ISTP posts/sites and the way some of the ISTP's are so extremely asocial is a bit alien to me.. now maybe those are just the extreme ISTP's

Sorry for the mess. Four letters corresponds to eight functions. That is the general idea, is it not?
    Function order: 12345678

1 + 8 = 9
    2 + 7 = 9
    3 + 6 = 9
    4 + 5 = 9

9 X 4 = 36

Dichotomy of 4 and 5 is not the X, it is as close as it goes.
    That is, MBTI is a locker of 16 types.

They do not include the X. In a way. I understand it. A locker has its uses.
    A locker is a place where you have four letters, and none of them is the X.
    We want the X? 4,5 + 4,5 = 9. The middle point. A new construction?
    Typology is the art of the possible.

0,0 1,5 3,0 4,5 4,5 6,0 7,5 9,0

4 X 9 = 36 again.

How many Xs do you see? Surely 4,5 is a double suit, that is exactly the point! One X.

What is the 32? It is the number of the function play. Let us return to the locker.

Say you have a function order Si Fe Fi Se Ni Te Ti Ne. It is possble to have such a function order? Yes it is, the machine would label you an ISFJ. But you are not alone in the function planet.

How many functions do you see there? Eight. Now we number the functions. In order of preference.

4 X 9 = 36

Then we see about the compatriots.

It easy to fill the rest. Compatibility. When you are finished, cut it in half in the middle, vertically or horizontally. One half is the mirror picture of the other. Does the half count? It is only a repetition, for convenience. 8 X 4 = 32.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I'm going to take a stab at explaining what @wildcat said with a visual metaphor... I may be wrong, in which case please call me out! (the last bit is for wildcat... I don't care about other input here! )

say that you have a piece of paper and that represents the dimensions of personality in a way... the extremes being the edges and the center being more moderate. Now fold the paper into quarters and unfold it... this gives you a cartesian plane of sorts. If you look at the measurements as something happening in a continuance as opposed to a dichotomy, you could graph where a person would fall on the plane personality-wise. The middle of the cartesian plane is always an X... it marks the spot of perfect balance

that's taking a shot there for you!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I'm going to take a stab at explaining what @wildcat said with a visual metaphor... I may be wrong, in which case please call me out! (the last bit is for wildcat... I don't care about other input here! )

say that you have a piece of paper and that represents the dimensions of personality in a way... the extremes being the edges and the center being more moderate. Now fold the paper into quarters and unfold it... this gives you a cartesian plane of sorts. If you look at the measurements as something happening in a continuance as opposed to a dichotomy, you could graph where a person would fall on the plane personality-wise. The middle of the cartesian plane is always an X... it marks the spot of perfect balance

that's taking a shot there for you!
    That is exactly it. Quite right, whatever. The X is in the middle of any balance. The extremes are the edges. That is MBTI in a nutshell.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

That is exactly it. Quite right, whatever. The X is in the middle of any balance. The extremes are the edges. That is MBTI in a nutshell.
    most things contain truth if kept simple... unfortunately, the devil lurks in the details

to wildcat though
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Society

if we go by MBTI:
    someone could - hypothetically - be the prefect balance of two type sets in an opposite order:
    NTP/SFJ
    NFP/STJ
    STP/NFJ
    SFP/NTJ
    however, depending on which functions they have, they would be one of those 4 sets.
    this in itself is extremely unlikely, as the theory goes, you'd have only one "dominant" or rather energy-less function, a function which is so you that it costs no effort, and yet can't be disengaged, any functional maneuvering you do includes that function by default. so for you to be seemingly balanced, you'd need your other 3 functions to operate under an infinite feed of energy to the point where you wouldn't notice any effort in engaging them.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

My sister seems to be ambityped as XXXX. She scores as ENFJ with about a +10% difference. Same my ISFP best guy friend that just took the test...well, he scored as INTP first, but the ISFP description strongly resonated with him. So he at least is IXXX.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex