User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5 sx

Default Instinctual variants?

I feel like I relate pretty equally to sp, sx, and so.

what would you type me as?

[probable] 9w1, INFP/INFp

Social: I'm aware of most social norms, and follow them to what seems like a pretty moderate extent. I'm always interested in group dynamics, and I'm concerned when I sense tension and distance. I definitely have a strong desire to be part of something bigger than myself. Not very sensitive to criticism unless I feel it's warranted...then it strings for a while, but soon after I'm totally fine and am able to see the criticism as useful.

Sexual: I prefer conversations with only one or two people. The social complexity of conversations involving 3+ others is too much for me to handle, an intellectual overload, and I dislike the lack of intimacy. I have a drive for intensity, but I tend to be turned off by intense and theatrical people, thrill-seekers, etc. Though I realize "intense" is hard to define. I think I'm talking about unhealthy 4 traits: competitiveness, love of melancholy, contrived persona.

Self-preserving: I'm pretty lazy and can be overly concerned with my own state of mind almost to the point of paranoia. I don't have much more to say about this, but to me, sp-dom is a strong possibility.

and, if this is relevant: I'm deeply distressed by dissonance within myself and by rifts between groups of people. I'm guessing that that alone would indicate sp/so or sp/so, but I don't know. I've never had very close friendships, because I know so few people whom I can relate to on a meaningful level. Maybe that's why separations between myself and another individual don't bother me as much; I've just never experienced a break with anyone I didn't already feel alienated from.

I've looked at the 9w1 subtype descriptions, and the only one I definitely don't relate to is so/sp.
    not feeling sp/so either. sp/sx is so me ("eyes and fingers of the universe examining itself, aware of how everyone is connected indirectly through the swamps of psychic muck...extrasensory decoder for the subconscious") except that I do feel significant social responsibility. same with sx/sp, which I'm leaning towards.

tl;dr
    is it possible to be social last but
    a. have moderate social conscientiousness
    b. care deeply about the big picture and occasionally prioritize that over individual relationships and personal needs?

Enneagram
    4w5 sx/so

Hmm...yes I can see why you are confused. You could gain some insight into which one is your strongest by reading this thread. It helped me quite a bit. Here's the 9 section from the thread posted by @OrangeAppled

NINES

The SP Nine expresses the need to find protection and comfort through merging with an experience of the satisfaction of physical needs. Through consistently getting lost in activities they enjoy– for example, eating, sleeping, reading, doing crossword puzzles, or working – they simultaneously experience comfort and avoid or forget their own sense of being. These Nines like to be alone more than the other Nines. They are also practical and would rather get absorbed in a familiar and comforting activity than take the risk of expressing themselves in the world.

The SO Nine has a need to feel a part of the group that over-compensates for an experience of feeling different or not a part of the group. SO Nines can be workaholics in service of the group, working hard and unselfishly to support the family or group without showing their stress or putting a burden on other people. SO Nines can be good leaders who may look like Threes. (This is the countertype of type Nine.)

The 1-1 Nine expresses a need to be through the other; they try to gain a sense of being not found inside themselves by fusing with somebody else. These Nines may find it difficult to locate their own passion for living, so they unconsciously seek it in someone else, usually someone who is important to them. These Nines tend to be tender and sweet, and they may not realize they are living through specific others. These Nines are also kind and gentle and not very assertive.
    *1-1 is SX

I also do think it's possible to be social last and still be able to function in social settings. I'm social last and I still sucessfully (if awkwardly) do group settings, I just don't prefer it and usually end up talking to one or a couple people.

I do hope you figure it out, I know how frustrated I was until I did!
    Find my Enneagram writing here. Also, I'd love for you to take my six question Enneagram surveyEnneagram survey!✨

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Seems pretty So/Sx based on what you wrote.

Why do you think Sp?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper View Post
    Seems pretty So/Sx based on what you wrote.

Why do you think Sp?
    I could see So/Sx, but so many Social Instinct descriptions seem to imply that dominant traits are conformism, sensitivity to criticism, detachment from self, etc., none of which I strongly relate to. I've experienced sensitivity to criticism and a sense of "nothingness," but mostly during unhealthy phases. So I'm also considering Sx/So (probably Sp last, now that I think about it).

Social types are highly aware of other people, whether they are in intimate situations or in groups. They are also aware of how their actions and attitudes are affecting those around them. Moreover, Sexual types seek intimacy, Social types seek personal connection: they want to stay in long-term contact with people and to be involved in their world. Social types are the most concerned with doing things that will have some impact on their community, or even broader domains. They tend to be warmer, more open, engaging, and socially responsible than the other two types. source
    I don't fully agree with the phrase in bold. Though I have high standards when it comes to close friends, and am therefore much more familiar with personal connections than intimacy, I'm not sure that this so/sx relational pattern is my ideal.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by decrescendo View Post
    I could see So/Sx, but so many Social Instinct descriptions seem to imply that dominant traits are conformism, sensitivity to criticism, detachment from self, etc., none of which I strongly relate to. I've experienced sensitivity to criticism and a sense of "nothingness," but mostly during unhealthy phases. So I'm also considering Sx/So (probably Sp last, now that I think about it).

I don't fully agree with the phrase in bold. Though I have high standards when it comes to close friends, and am therefore much more familiar with personal connections than intimacy, I'm not sure that this so/sx relational pattern is my ideal.
    Still sounds So/Sx Unless more info is given on how/why you relate to Sp.

And yeah, the stereotypes associated with So are the reason so many So doms mistype themselves as something else (the same thing happens in reverse with people over-typing as Sx).

I personally like Naranjo's focus with subtypes. Social for a 9 is all about participation, for me it's best described as an ever searching to feel a sense of belonging, yet never really felling like I do even when everyone around me would say otherwise. My most noticeable area of focus involves moving between social and anti-social because of this.

This is him talking about 9s (skip past the 8 stuff) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcG_mSxhyIo

And in summary form:

9 self-pres - Appetite. Sancho Panza. I eat therefore I am. I sleep, I have, I want creature comforts. No metaphysical level of thinking. Can't talk about Being. Substitution of bottle for mother's breast was so complete that they are fused with their body. "Homo economicus" - the double chinned banker. Very practical people.

9 social - Jolly good fellow. Light hearted, merry. Passion of participation, to feel a part of. Doesn't feel a part of to begin with, feels doesn't have what it takes to fit. Very mindful of group "other"; they fuse with the group. Good leader, unselfish, sacrificial. Passion of paying for ticket to group admission. Workaholic. Believes not to show pain or weigh others down with own woes.

9 sexual - Union/fusion/symbiosis/confluence. Needs to be through another. Fuses with one other. Use relationship to feed your being because you don't stand on your own 2 feet - stands through the other. Suspicious tenderness. Nobodies, not living with passion. Too dispassionate. "Nowhere Man". Not noticeable - wallflower. Erased from family picture. "She eats but no one has seen her chew." Betrays own needs.

The stuff you wrote about why you could be So in the OP are basically a summarised version of what So is about, noticing the inter-connections, the place people hold, the dynamics.

I assure you I am not sheeple, that is not a So thing. It's a bad stereotype. Ftr So is also not about gossip and shallowness.

I am not sensitivity to criticism, that is something more associated with 9 tbh, even then I don't feel it unless you matter greatly to me and put me down.

As 9 is the gut type most out of touch with their gut, detachment from self can be something that flows from that (not that they would notice), I don't see it as a So thing. 9s detach from their own needs to keep connections, and not disrupt the peace.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5 sx

You're probably right. It could definitely be that my lack of fulfilling one-on-one relationships (I'm a high school senior and I hardly identify with anyone I spend the bulk of my time with, though I get along with everyone) has led to an over-focus on the Sx instinct, since it's the source of the most disappointment for me.

Yeah, I figured those were just So stereotypes. Sorry if I offended you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper View Post
    9 self-pres - Appetite. Sancho Panza. I eat therefore I am. I sleep, I have, I want creature comforts. No metaphysical level of thinking. Can't talk about Being. Substitution of bottle for mother's breast was so complete that they are fused with their body. "Homo economicus" - the double chinned banker. Very practical people.
    I don't know how valid it is, but the 9w1 sp/sx description I found seems to imply an intensely metaphysical style of thinking:

They view words as primitive and utilitarian, and attune themselves to the subconscious realm (under the spoken word) where it is impossible for people to hide their inner being...All expression is a distortion of the truth that relates to the origin of the cosmos. Every act pertains to "god" "creation" the "singularity." Even people's masks and false propositions are distortions of this truth. They are more interested in the elemental forces that move events rather than the event itself. They have access to archetypes in the unconscious where mythological battles can be hashed out while keeping the 9 disconnected from their instinct.
    (I probably relate least to this part, but the rest of the description I related to a lot)

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Yeah, I figured those were just So stereotypes. Sorry if I offended you.
    Oh you 9 you! Not at all.

I don't know how valid it is, but the 9w1 sp/sx description I found seems to imply an intensely metaphysical style of thinking:

(I probably relate least to this part, but the rest of the description I related to a lot)
    I find it amusing then that Naranjo's says no metaphysical thinking XD

My suggestion is ignore the stackings, look at the individual instincts and work out your relationship with each.

Some random stuff:

NINES
    The SP Nine expresses the need to find protection and comfort through merging with an experience of the satisfaction of physical needs. Through consistently getting lost in activities they enjoy– for example, eating, sleeping, reading, doing crossword puzzles, or working – they simultaneously experience comfort and avoid or forget their own sense of being. These Nines like to be alone more than the other Nines. They are also practical and would rather get absorbed in a familiar and comforting activity than take the risk of expressing themselves in the world.

The SO Nine has a need to feel a part of the group that over-compensates for an experience of feeling different or not a part of the group. SO Nines can be workaholics in service of the group, working hard and unselfishly to support the family or group without showing their stress or putting a burden on other people. SO Nines can be good leaders who may look like Threes. (This is the countertype of type Nine.)

The 1-1 Nine expresses a need to be through the other; they try to gain a sense of being not found inside themselves by fusing with somebody else. These Nines may find it difficult to locate their own passion for living, so they unconsciously seek it in someone else, usually someone who is important to them. These Nines tend to be tender and sweet, and they may not realize they are living through specific others. These Nines are also kind and gentle and not very assertive.

http://blog.theenneagraminbusiness.c...r-subtype.html
    More stuff here.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/so

I feel like I relate pretty equally to sp, sx, and so.

what would you type me as?

9w1, INFP/INFp
    I was going to ask if you are type 9 since you said you can relate equally to everything.

Try answering these questions and seeing which answers were easier to draft, which look fuller with content. I also liked these descriptions of instincts. They are more thorough than anything else I've seen.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5 sx

Thanks for those links. These describe me so well:

Motivation: to create lasting connections with those they are interested in.
    This type has very strong one to one social skills, but is usually uncomfortable in group settings. They enjoy cultivating multiple relationships, and can be intensely involved when in the presence of someone they are interested in, but have difficulty sustaining these bonds when apart. This may give the impression of being flighty and rootless, willing to adapt and mirror others in order to connect, but lacking a defined approach that would give their relationships a more solid standing. They may have political interests, but are generally more pragmatic and less partisan than the other social variant.
    But in the group, they may resent their loss of identity as they merge with the wishes and goals of the group. If that happens, they either do submit to the group energy or they move to the periphery of the group and vacillate between belonging and not belonging.
    Although I'm drawn towards a sense of belonging, and I do feel important to most groups I'm part of, I'm pretty peripheral. Leadership is not my thing and I'm wary of people who identify very strongly with a social circle, political party, movement, etc.

The instinctual flow information was interesting, too. I'm curious - how well do you (anyone reading this) get along with those of the same flow, and how much do you clash with those of the opposite?

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

The instinctual flow information was interesting, too. I'm curious - how well do you (anyone reading this) get along with those of the same flow, and how much do you clash with those of the opposite?
    It's an interesting theory, and I haven't noticed any patterns that support or contridict it much, mostly because I don't type instinct stackings of those around me unless they jump out and slap me in the face.