• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INTJ or ISFP? (Ni-Fi or Fi-Ni looping)

Nicki

Retired
My friend I've been talking to for a while thinks I'm an ISFP. I think it's definitely possible considering I'm pretty unhealthy emotionally. INTJs are often glorified on the Internet and maybe I want to see myself as something I'm not. Ask me anything!

I'm going to talk about whatever comes to mind. My ultimate goal in life is to become my ideal of perfection and create an impact on the world that will last at least a million years. I care a lot about being authentic to my myself and my morals. I don't believe in excuses ever when it comes to doing the right thing. I believe in emotional control at all times in order to do what I deem as the right thing to do. I try to push my personal feelings aside when I help others out because I usually don't care too much about people around me, I care much more about doing the right thing. I'm fine with making people angry as long as I'm true to my morals.

I have 13 70-page journals dedicated to long term planning and I consider myself very results-oriented. I'm also a 3w4 though. I don't really believe in living in the moment because everything adds up in the end IMO. I'm also very oblivious to anything that doesn't have to do with a goal. For example, I didn't notice my house had a dishwasher until a few months ago and I've been living here for 9 years. I also can never remember details in an environment. I'm not observant at all.

I'm very into aesthetics and shock affect. Many times, I say something ridiculous or blunt just to impact others. I've very focused on making on making an impact, doesn't matter if it's negative or positive, the more, the better. I'm very, very into fashion. I love reading fashion history books and browsing magazines. I love creating things. I get a sense of satisfaction from creating beautiful things. When someone has that ability, I tend to really admire them. It's amazing IMO.

I really hate conflict sometimes but the other times, I find it fun and refreshing. I used to have a problem in which I created conflicts in my relationships just because I was bored and wanted to spice things up.

I really dislike being controlled. My first reaction to someone telling me to do something is to not do it but then I recognize that that's unreasonable so I do whatever will help me achieve what I want to. I dislike the system and I seek to change it one day. I don't really like people who blindly obey rules and I hate it when people don't critically think at all.

By the way, I'm a 3w4 1w2 7w8 which can really affect the way I come off.

Last edited:

Stephano

Almöhi
MBTI Type
NFP
Hi again,
I thought you were quite sure about the E and the only question was F or T. ISFP would be crazy because it's the opposite of your former opinion you're ENTJ. The type I can relate to the least is ESTJ.

Nicki

Retired
Hi again,
I thought you were quite sure about the E and the only question was F or T. ISFP would be crazy because it's the opposite of your former opinion you're ENTJ. The type I can relate to the least is ESTJ.

I thought it over and I realized that I'm not an extravert, I just wanted to see myself as one. People exhaust me and I get energized from living in my inner world. I don't feel like I live in the external world. I'm fairly unhealthy currently so it would make a bit of sense. I relate really well to ISFPs.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You sound a lot like me (which is very strange for me!), but at the same time not. What about ISFPs do you relate to, versus INTJs?

Also I notice that you have LIE as your socionics type, care to elaborate a bit on that?

I'd be happy to help you find your type.

Nicki

Retired
You sound a lot like me (which is very strange for me!), but at the same time not. What about ISFPs do you relate to, versus INTJs?

Also I notice that you have LIE as your socionics type, care to elaborate a bit on that?

I'd be happy to help you find your type.

That's very interesting! Honestly I relate to both types quite a lot. I enjoy thinking about the future, etc. but I also crave for impact.

I took the test when I was convincing myself that I was an extravert, I took the test now and got EII.

Thanks a lot!

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Socionics tests aren't reliable, I was just merely curious about that.

What all do you know about Ni and Fi? What do they mean to you? Also you have to think about whether Te or Se is more inferior, do you relate less to Te or Se? Where have you been reading about the function's meanings to assess your type?

Stephano

Almöhi
MBTI Type
NFP
ISFPs are called pet lovers which is funny because you both seem to love kittens ;)
However ISFPs are usually pretty creative and sensitive, so there shouldn't be a confusion with any NT type.

Nicki

Retired
Socionics tests aren't reliable, I was just merely curious about that.

What all do you know about Ni and Fi? What do they mean to you? Also you have to think about whether Te or Se is more inferior, do you relate less to Te or Se? Where have you been reading about the function's meanings to assess your type?

There are so many definitions of Ni around the Internet and I'm not sure exactly what it means. I know what Fi is and I definitely relate to it. I get my morals through my inner feelings rather than what other people's feelings. How does inferior Te work? I relate much more to inferior Se. Here, personalitycafe, and greenlightwiki.

Nicki

Retired
ISFPs are called pet lovers which is funny because you both seem to love kittens ;)
However ISFPs are usually pretty creative and sensitive, so there shouldn't be a confusion with any NT type.

I noticed that too haha. I've been through weird life experiences and my development's probably a bit odd so that definitely changes things.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There are so many definitions of Ni around the Internet and I'm not sure exactly what it means. I know what Fi is and I definitely relate to it. I get my morals through my inner feelings rather than what other people's feelings. How does inferior Te work? I relate much more to inferior Se. Here, personalitycafe, and greenlightwiki.

I would say that inferior Te works in this way-

You think about the consequences for YOU, first and foremost. You don't think about a lot of broad consequences. Fi doms are focused very much on their own ego (psychology terms, not like their attitude), and so this directs their typical thoughts away from external worries. Te sees all of the consequences through a straight up lens, not through rose colored glasses. For Fi doms, things have to go through their own ego of the "right" rather than the "what is". Te detaches feeling, it's purely empirical, it's an absolute. With a strong Fi and a lacking of Te, the person then may understand things in a bit of a strange way, in that they get kind of find patterns as to how they react to things in order to realize what's happening in some more complex situations, and this link is put together by either Se or Ne. Like, "I'm feeling this way, so this is probably happening", that isn't thought out, but that's the process from what I've picked up on. You have to look at Fi and Te as a scale, they are basically the same thing but going from totally opposite ends, Fi gets it's implications from within, and Te gets it's implications from externalizations.

Well the problem here is that that is taking from the typical 4w3 self-pres last ISFP stereotype, not all of us are necessarily fluffy, creative, and sensitive according to the stereotypes. For example I consider myself creative mentally, but I really suck at actually making art. I'm a writer, but I can't draw worth crap. I find it pretty easy to show affection, but not to just anyone; and ISFPs seem to be stereotyped to be that way, extremely nice to everyone. I'm nice to everyone, but I definitely make clear boundaries about what I do with strangers and acquaintances; versus friends. And I'm not very typically sensitive, but I do have a clear cut emotional side, and by that I mean I know what I'm feeling and why, and how to deal with it or use it.

Hmm. Perhaps.

I mostly thought of it because it has Ti in the function stacking. You seem pretty Fe/Ti.

That could be the 3, and soc?

W

WALMART

Oh how? I'm curious because descriptions of Ti always confused me.

I wish I could say for certain. You frequently appear to be prodding one layer deeper about things regardless of utility. I tend to think of Te users as more, "Okay, and?" about their inquiries.

That could be the 3, and soc?

I've thought about this, at what point a shovel becomes a spade. Perhaps so.

Nicki

Retired
I wish I could say for certain. You frequently appear to be prodding one layer deeper about things regardless of utility. I tend to think of Te users as more, "Okay, and?" about their inquiries.

I've thought about this, at what point a shovel becomes a spade. Perhaps so.

Hmm I see. And yeah that's possible. A type 3 so dom could look an Fe user.

Nicki

Retired
I would say that inferior Te works in this way-

You think about the consequences for YOU, first and foremost. You don't think about a lot of broad consequences. Fi doms are focused very much on their own ego (psychology terms, not like their attitude), and so this directs their typical thoughts away from external worries. Te sees all of the consequences through a straight up lens, not through rose colored glasses. For Fi doms, things have to go through their own ego of the "right" rather than the "what is". Te detaches feeling, it's purely empirical, it's an absolute. With a strong Fi and a lacking of Te, the person then may understand things in a bit of a strange way, in that they get kind of find patterns as to how they react to things in order to realize what's happening in some more complex situations, and this link is put together by either Se or Ne. Like, "I'm feeling this way, so this is probably happening", that isn't thought out, but that's the process from what I've picked up on. You have to look at Fi and Te as a scale, they are basically the same thing but going from totally opposite ends, Fi gets it's implications from within, and Te gets it's implications from externalizations.

Could you give me an example or two?

Well the problem here is that that is taking from the typical 4w3 self-pres last ISFP stereotype, not all of us are necessarily fluffy, creative, and sensitive according to the stereotypes. For example I consider myself creative mentally, but I really suck at actually making art. I'm a writer, but I can't draw worth crap. I find it pretty easy to show affection, but not to just anyone; and ISFPs seem to be stereotyped to be that way, extremely nice to everyone. I'm nice to everyone, but I definitely make clear boundaries about what I do with strangers and acquaintances; versus friends. And I'm not very typically sensitive, but I do have a clear cut emotional side, and by that I mean I know what I'm feeling and why, and how to deal with it or use it.

I'm not fluffy or sensitive at all. I absolutely adore art and creating it. I'm okay with affection but I hate mushiness since it seems so fake. What do you like to write? I wouldn't say I'm nice, I don't really try to be nice at all. I just try to abide by my moral rules and that's it. I try to apply those rules to everyone so I guess I could seem like that. I feel uncomfortable making those boundaries since I know personally what it's like to always be an acquaintance/stranger to everyone and I don't want to make someone feel shitty. Same, I'd consider myself pretty self aware.

Standuble

My friend I've been talking to for a while, [MENTION=15897]Title[/MENTION], thinks I'm an ISFP. I think it's definitely possible considering I'm pretty unhealthy emotionally. INTJs are often glorified on the Internet and maybe I want to see myself as something I'm not. Ask me anything!

I'm going to talk about whatever comes to mind. My ultimate goal in life is to become my ideal of perfection and create an impact on the world that will last at least a million years. I care a lot about being authentic to my myself and my morals. I don't believe in excuses ever when it comes to doing the right thing. I believe in emotional control at all times in order to do what I deem as the right thing to do. I try to push my personal feelings aside when I help others out because I usually don't care too much about people around me, I care much more about doing the right thing. I'm fine with making people angry as long as I'm true to my morals.

I have 13 70-page journals dedicated to long term planning and I consider myself very results-oriented. I'm also a 3w4 though. I don't really believe in living in the moment because everything adds up in the end IMO. I'm also very oblivious to anything that doesn't have to do with a goal. For example, I didn't notice my house had a dishwasher until a few months ago and I've been living here for 9 years. I also can never remember details in an environment. I'm not observant at all.

I'm very into aesthetics and shock affect. Many times, I say something ridiculous or blunt just to impact others. I've very focused on making on making an impact, doesn't matter if it's negative or positive, the more, the better. I'm very, very into fashion. I love reading fashion history books and browsing magazines. I love creating things. I get a sense of satisfaction from creating beautiful things. When someone has that ability, I tend to really admire them. It's amazing IMO.

I really hate conflict sometimes but the other times, I find it fun and refreshing. I used to have a problem in which I created conflicts in my relationships just because I was bored and wanted to spice things up.

I really dislike being controlled. My first reaction to someone telling me to do something is to not do it but then I recognize that that's unreasonable so I do whatever will help me achieve what I want to. I dislike the system and I seek to change it one day. I don't really like people who blindly obey rules and I hate it when people don't critically think at all.

By the way, I'm a 3w4 1w2 7w8 which can really affect the way I come off.

Hmm I would not call you an ISFP because you do not strike me as an Fi-dom. I think you're an INTJ but your Fi function has grown to a degree. It's possible on the other hand however that you are a feeler and the type 3-ness is creating chaos but I am sceptical of this.

A few points that did stand out for me:

a) "My ultimate goal in life is to become my ideal of perfection and create an impact on the world that will last at least a million years." Creating a legacy from what I understand is more of an N trait as it requires an appreciation of the bigger picture and how your actions affect it. Especially one which would last that length of time.
b) I cannot see ISFP having 70-page journals on long term planning nor can I see them being result orientated unless it was a plan to indulge in sensory pleasure (which is unnecessary as a number of sensory pleasures are easy to attain in the modern world.)
c) "I also can never remember details in an environment. I'm not observant at all." Taking in sensory data is an ISFP's direct way of interacting with the world and unless it is poorly developed then they should have a good eye for details. Of course there are times where the ISFP would be too tired to utilise Se effectively but from my understanding they would still be passively taking things in. What you're describing sounds more inferior Se or Si.
d) "I'm very into aesthetics and shock affect. Many times, I say something ridiculous or blunt just to impact others. I've very focused on making on making an impact, doesn't matter if it's negative or positive, the more, the better. I'm very, very into fashion. I love reading fashion history books and browsing magazines. I love creating things. I get a sense of satisfaction from creating beautiful things. When someone has that ability, I tend to really admire them. It's amazing IMO." This does sound Se-ish but the latter part seems a little bit like aspirational Se and perhaps aspirational Fi.
e) "I really dislike being controlled. My first reaction to someone telling me to do something is to not do it but then I recognize that that's unreasonable so I do whatever will help me achieve what I want to. I dislike the system and I seek to change it one day. I don't really like people who blindly obey rules and I hate it when people don't critically think at all." This isn't necessarily a case of P. INTJs are very independent and autonomous and hate being controlled. Plus they see the system as something that can be improved.

There's my opinion. Try and see whether Fi or Te impacts your life more and then do the same for Ni and Se. Then try and see whether there is a big gap between them. In my case I do in part feel like an ISTJ and I feel the Si and Te working away but they are definitely not my driving forces but merely supporting actors. Don't let the influence of the tertiary and inferior confuse you.

Addendum: Just an observation of mine but I've encountered a number of ISFPs online in my time on typology forums who I took note of. Many of those eventually re-typed themselves but most if not all re-typed themselves as INFJ and not INTJ. That is merely my observation of course, take it as you see fit.

Nicki

Retired
Hmm I would not call you an ISFP because you do not strike me as an Fi-dom. I think you're an INTJ but your Fi function has grown to a degree. It's possible on the other hand however that you are a feeler and the type 3-ness is creating chaos but I am sceptical of this.

A few points that did stand out for me:

a) "My ultimate goal in life is to become my ideal of perfection and create an impact on the world that will last at least a million years." Creating a legacy from what I understand is more of an N trait as it requires an appreciation of the bigger picture and how your actions affect it. Especially one which would last that length of time.
b) I cannot see ISFP having 70-page journals on long term planning nor can I see them being result orientated unless it was a plan to indulge in sensory pleasure (which is unnecessary as a number of sensory pleasures are easy to attain in the modern world.)
c) "I also can never remember details in an environment. I'm not observant at all." Taking in sensory data is an ISFP's direct way of interacting with the world and unless it is poorly developed then they should have a good eye for details. Of course there are times where the ISFP would be too tired to utilise Se effectively but from my understanding they would still be passively taking things in. What you're describing sounds more inferior Se or Si.
d) "I'm very into aesthetics and shock affect. Many times, I say something ridiculous or blunt just to impact others. I've very focused on making on making an impact, doesn't matter if it's negative or positive, the more, the better. I'm very, very into fashion. I love reading fashion history books and browsing magazines. I love creating things. I get a sense of satisfaction from creating beautiful things. When someone has that ability, I tend to really admire them. It's amazing IMO." This does sound Se-ish but the latter part seems a little bit like aspirational Se and perhaps aspirational Fi.
e) "I really dislike being controlled. My first reaction to someone telling me to do something is to not do it but then I recognize that that's unreasonable so I do whatever will help me achieve what I want to. I dislike the system and I seek to change it one day. I don't really like people who blindly obey rules and I hate it when people don't critically think at all." This isn't necessarily a case of P. INTJs are very independent and autonomous and hate being controlled. Plus they see the system as something that can be improved.

There's my opinion. Try and see whether Fi or Te impacts your life more and then do the same for Ni and Se. Then try and see whether there is a big gap between them. In my case I do in part feel like an ISTJ and I feel the Si and Te working away but they are definitely not my driving forces but merely supporting actors. Don't let the influence of the tertiary and inferior confuse you.

Addendum: Just an observation of mine but I've encountered a number of ISFPs online in my time on typology forums who I took note of. Many of those eventually re-typed themselves but most if not all re-typed themselves as INFJ and not INTJ. That is merely my observation of course, take it as you see fit.

Oh, I should edit that, I want to create an impact on the world that will last at least two centuries. A million years is much too unrealistic. Yeah, would an Se user find it fun to plan for the future? ISFPs have dom Ji but usually they seem to just want to live life. I want to plan life and then live it.

Yeah if I were Fi-Ni looping, my Se would be repressed.

Aspirational Se/Fi?

Hmm alright, I'll do that. Oh okay.

I'm definitely not an INFJ, I prefer Fi over Fe and Ti confuses me.

Thank you for your in-depth analysis!