• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is This Guy a Sensor?

Majora4Prez

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Good day, residents of Typology Central. I am most certainly sure that I am an INTP, but someone I know from another site is having difficulty determining whether he's INTP or ISTJ. He wants to be N rather badly, and he's written some good poetry, but he has very strong Si and doesn't ponder or analyze things much. He's grounded in reality, doesn't know if he has a rich inner world anymore, and is fueled by a "childish anger" at times. He wishes more to gain a general understanding of things to work with rather than a complete comprehension of them. He can be swayed by empirical evidence, skims a lot while reading, generalizes the events in fiction (and therefore has trouble finding plot holes), and feels set in his ways. The two of us have lots of similarities, including difficulty completing assignments for school, but mine stems from wanting to wait until I am ready to do or understand something and not wanting to create something bad or show my lack of understanding or ability, whereas his results more from genuine laziness and a lack of motivation to do things outside his comfort zone. He's worried that if he's ISTJ, he's doomed to working for the IRS (not necessarily, just something like that) and being "pragmatic, closed-minded, practical, literal, and physical".

Overall, he wants to know if he's an ISTJ and, if he is, whether that means he can't be a writer and how he can develop his intuition more.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Good day, residents of Typology Central. I am most certainly sure that I am an INTP, but someone I know from another site is having difficulty determining whether he's INTP or ISTJ. He wants to be N rather badly, and he's written some good poetry, but he has very strong Si and doesn't ponder or analyze things much. He's grounded in reality, doesn't know if he has a rich inner world anymore, and is fueled by a "childish anger" at times. He wishes more to gain a general understanding of things to work with rather than a complete comprehension of them. He's easily swayed by empirical evidence, skims a lot while reading, generalizes the events in fiction (and therefore has trouble finding plot holes), and feels set in his ways. The two of us have lots of similarities, including difficulty completing assignments for school, but mine stems from wanting to wait until I am ready to do or understand something and not wanting to create something bad or show my lack of understanding or ability, whereas his results more from genuine laziness and a lack of motivation to do things outside his comfort zone. He's worried that if he's ISTJ, he's doomed to working for the IRS and being "pragmatic, closed-minded, practical, literal, and physical".

Overall, he wants to know if he's an ISTJ and, if he is, whether that means he can't be a writer and how he can develop his intuition more.

I lost you at "childish anger"....

and at the entire post, :wtf:....

Majora4Prez

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Do you mean to say you don't understand the situation at all, or that my writing style is far too confusing for you? I'm not very skilled at writing things like this.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do you mean to say you don't understand the situation at all, or that my writing style is far too confusing for you? I'm not very skilled at writing things like this.

lol, no...
I'll let someone else help you.

I

Infinite Bubble

From this, he seems to have Te rather than Ti. That rules out INTP. Most of the things you have written are stereotypical to Sensors, such as being grounded in reality and (Si specifically) being reluctant to do things outside of his comfort zone, but I'm going to have to go along with it due to lack of information. Out of these options, ISTJ.

But why is he got a problem with the type? Does he see them as inferior? And of course he can be damn writer! Also, you can write poety and be an ISTJ at the same time, believe it or not.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I don't think this is the best way to go about describing your friend to help us type him. You're giving a lot of really specific things about the way he feels. Can you try describing just his characteristics? Also, which type or types do you feel he is most like?

Majora4Prez

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Thank you for helping to confirm his Myers-Briggs type. I suppose it was not entirely accurate to say he's worried about being able to be a writer, but that he'd be able to work with original ideas and write things other than pulp novels.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yeah kinda seems more Te than Ti..... have you already ruled out ExTJ?

Majora4Prez

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I don't think this is the best way to go about describing your friend to help us type him. You're giving a lot of really specific things about the way he feels. Can you try describing just his characteristics? Also, which type or types do you feel he is most like?
Well, considering I only know him from the Internet, most of my information about him comes from what he tells me. I used to think he was an INTP, but I've progressively swayed to thinking he's ISTJ. If sense of humor is of any indication, he prefers more tasteless and repetitive humor and can't stand British humor.

Majora4Prez

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Yeah kinda seems more Te than Ti..... have you already ruled out ExTJ?
He's definitely an introvert, and his Si seems stronger than his Te, which he himself considers "underdeveloped".

Jaguar

That's what I figured. Is he planning on going to college?

Majora4Prez

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
That's what I figured. Is he planning on going to college?
University; there's a difference between the two in Canada. University is more theoretical and general, college is more hands-on and specialized.

Jaguar

University; there's a difference between the two in Canada.

Why don't you give your buddy some breathing room and let him do his own investigation on his own time? He's only 16. There's plenty of time to develop his interests and talents and that's what's most important. The kid needs freedom to explore. Let him.

G

Glycerine

Don't typecast and limit him on his possible "career choices".

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Hello Majora. Nice avatar. I loved that game. :)

He wants to be N rather badly

Why? It's not particularly useful.

he has very strong Si and doesn't ponder or analyze things much.

These seem contradictory. Pi generally means a lot of internal thought and reflection.

doesn't know if he has a rich inner world anymore

This doesn't match with Si either.

He wishes more to gain a general understanding of things to work with rather than a complete comprehension of them. [...]He can be swayed by empirical evidence, skims a lot while reading

Yes, that sounds more Te than Ti.

Yes, it sounds like he could be ISTJ. Si is a rather lovely function when it comes to writing, with its attention to sensory experience and rich detail. Te could be a very useful support function by structuring flow of poetry or plot of prose. Of course he can be a very successful writer, if he enjoys writing and has a natural talent for it. Writing is such a varied and open field that four generalized statements about his preferences mean essentially nothing.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
oh yes, because we ALL know that anyone with an S in their type lacks imagination and the ability to come up with shit off the top of their head... there's no way in hell that anyone with an S in their type could EVER be a writer! :doh:

KDude

Barring "childish anger" (ahem..sometimes), this guy sounds more like me than an INTP.

I'm not going to type him though. Just my 2c.