My name is Adrian, I'm 22, currently studying engineering.
As of late, I've been thinking whether I'm an INTP or have slipped into another personality type or have never been one or other various possibilities. I usually test out as INTP in various questionnaires. There was this one time I tested out as INFP and another time when I got to do the test for work when I got ISTP. I can relate to about 90% of the INTP description on here.
I think I'll start by mentioning a few things about me and then get on with what triggered the thought process to consider the alternatives.
- I like to analyse, a lot, to the point of over analysis and most people tell me that I think too much.
- I'm having a hard time figuring out what to write in this list right now...
- I like seeking out patterns and interpreting/analysing the hell out of some of them... Speaking of over analysis, I remember this one time when I tried to calculate the level of impact the pair of socks you would choose in the morning would have on one's life.
- I'm highly curious about everything, however, I don't consider "trying" as a necessity to satisfy said curiosity. I've had friends tell me that you must try everything so you can form your opinion on said matter however I think I could easily just analyse the situation without actively participating in it while taking most points of view into consideration.
- I think I could write a 20 pages paper on this topic and still not properly explain my thoughts so as to be as clear and precise as wanted...
- I ask "why" very often. I've been told I'm difficult or complicated cause some people feel uncomfortable being asked why in certain circumstances. As a kid I used to ask why several times during an argument cause I was rarely provided with a logical answer to my question, saying "Cause I said so" or, "Just because" is not considered an answer to said question...
- When faced with emotions I end up analysing more and more (well, if I consider the emotions to be relevant to anything, otherwise I dismiss them). Sometimes I think feeling can impair my rationality, especially when it's hard to fit it into a logical scheme. I do analyse my emotions pretty often cause I'm seeking to understand them and not ignore them, the reason being that I've observed that ignoring certain aspects could have bad consequences in time, besides, it wouldn't be logical to ignore a part that makes us human, I think...
- I like to see things from more than one point of view, as to be able to get a view as objective as possible.
- I like doing all sort of experiments on the things or subjects that interest me, sometimes theoretical, sometimes practical. I also like to experiment with human emotions sometimes, I guess it provides some valuable information as to understanding different reactions and thought or emotional processes...
- I consider my self to be artistic, and also consider that I have a romantic side when I end up feeling for someone... Art related, music is my favorite (I also compose from time to time but not too much as of late due to lack of time), I used to like photography, I also like cooking as of late, although I don't do it that often.
- Lack of intelligence annoys me.
- I'd rather stay home and surf the web than go to a club or a party. I also prefer one on one conversations.
- I consider my self to be quite critic, and a perfectionist.
- I get many ideas most of the time which I either write somewhere or keep in my head and while I think some of them would be very interesting, I forget about most of them, or I start on a few but never end up finishing them or consider them less interesting than they were at the beginning or think of a better variant of them while doing them and put the one at hand aside.
- I usually listen to songs that fit my current mood.
- I've been told that I come of as insensitive or cold, especially when faced with emotional situations and I come about them in a very logical way. ( A: "Someone I care about died"; Me: "Well, we all die at some point..." )
- I have a weird sense of humor, rather dark or cruel at times, or so I've been told.
I think there might be essential information about my behavior that might be relevant but they don't come to mind right now.
As for why I've started doubting my type:
- I consider having empathy, although I'm not really sure it's empathy or not. It might be a set of details got through intuition which the thinking process takes into the consideration and understands that a certain person might be feeling or thinking something based on probabilities.
- Although I'm usually pretty numb, I do care about very few people. When this happens, I sometimes think I end up acting as an old wise person which takes everything into consideration and wants what's best for them. I'm not sure I'm explaining this properly but it's on the line of what actually happens. I don't do that all the time of course, sometimes it's very draining so I just retreat to my world. Lets just say I like to help them out when I can or when they need help that I can provide.
- I feel pretty lonely sometimes, although from what I've read, this isn't particularly something that INTP's would not have at all. Maybe it's just a reflection of ignoring some things for too long, or spending too much time alone in an isolated sort of way.
- I've ended up being a little more practical as of late due to work and school where I actually do have to finish things on time and make them as best as possible although I still postpone school work most of the time cause most of it isn't something I'm particularly interested in or I consider it too simple or boring... I do think that sometimes some thoughts or ideas should be transposed into reality.
I've looked over INFP descriptions, and read a few things about ISTP and while I can relate to a few things, I still think I fit into INTP more.
So if anyone could shed some light on the matter, I'd be grateful for the help!
P.S. I am aware that I might not have mentioned relevant details so if there's anything that could help type me easier, please let me know and I'd happily provide it.