• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INTP or INFP or ... ?

Adyjay

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Hello,

My name is Adrian, I'm 22, currently studying engineering.

As of late, I've been thinking whether I'm an INTP or have slipped into another personality type or have never been one or other various possibilities. I usually test out as INTP in various questionnaires. There was this one time I tested out as INFP and another time when I got to do the test for work when I got ISTP. I can relate to about 90% of the INTP description on here.

I think I'll start by mentioning a few things about me and then get on with what triggered the thought process to consider the alternatives.

- I like to analyse, a lot, to the point of over analysis and most people tell me that I think too much.
- I'm having a hard time figuring out what to write in this list right now...
- I like seeking out patterns and interpreting/analysing the hell out of some of them... Speaking of over analysis, I remember this one time when I tried to calculate the level of impact the pair of socks you would choose in the morning would have on one's life.
- I'm highly curious about everything, however, I don't consider "trying" as a necessity to satisfy said curiosity. I've had friends tell me that you must try everything so you can form your opinion on said matter however I think I could easily just analyse the situation without actively participating in it while taking most points of view into consideration.
- I think I could write a 20 pages paper on this topic and still not properly explain my thoughts so as to be as clear and precise as wanted...
- I ask "why" very often. I've been told I'm difficult or complicated cause some people feel uncomfortable being asked why in certain circumstances. As a kid I used to ask why several times during an argument cause I was rarely provided with a logical answer to my question, saying "Cause I said so" or, "Just because" is not considered an answer to said question...
- When faced with emotions I end up analysing more and more (well, if I consider the emotions to be relevant to anything, otherwise I dismiss them). Sometimes I think feeling can impair my rationality, especially when it's hard to fit it into a logical scheme. I do analyse my emotions pretty often cause I'm seeking to understand them and not ignore them, the reason being that I've observed that ignoring certain aspects could have bad consequences in time, besides, it wouldn't be logical to ignore a part that makes us human, I think...
- I like to see things from more than one point of view, as to be able to get a view as objective as possible.
- I like doing all sort of experiments on the things or subjects that interest me, sometimes theoretical, sometimes practical. I also like to experiment with human emotions sometimes, I guess it provides some valuable information as to understanding different reactions and thought or emotional processes...
- I consider my self to be artistic, and also consider that I have a romantic side when I end up feeling for someone... Art related, music is my favorite (I also compose from time to time but not too much as of late due to lack of time), I used to like photography, I also like cooking as of late, although I don't do it that often.
- Lack of intelligence annoys me.
- I'd rather stay home and surf the web than go to a club or a party. I also prefer one on one conversations.
- I consider my self to be quite critic, and a perfectionist.
- I get many ideas most of the time which I either write somewhere or keep in my head and while I think some of them would be very interesting, I forget about most of them, or I start on a few but never end up finishing them or consider them less interesting than they were at the beginning or think of a better variant of them while doing them and put the one at hand aside.
- I usually listen to songs that fit my current mood.
- I've been told that I come of as insensitive or cold, especially when faced with emotional situations and I come about them in a very logical way. ( A: "Someone I care about died"; Me: "Well, we all die at some point..." )
- I have a weird sense of humor, rather dark or cruel at times, or so I've been told.

I think there might be essential information about my behavior that might be relevant but they don't come to mind right now.

As for why I've started doubting my type:

- I consider having empathy, although I'm not really sure it's empathy or not. It might be a set of details got through intuition which the thinking process takes into the consideration and understands that a certain person might be feeling or thinking something based on probabilities.
- Although I'm usually pretty numb, I do care about very few people. When this happens, I sometimes think I end up acting as an old wise person which takes everything into consideration and wants what's best for them. I'm not sure I'm explaining this properly but it's on the line of what actually happens. I don't do that all the time of course, sometimes it's very draining so I just retreat to my world. Lets just say I like to help them out when I can or when they need help that I can provide.
- I feel pretty lonely sometimes, although from what I've read, this isn't particularly something that INTP's would not have at all. Maybe it's just a reflection of ignoring some things for too long, or spending too much time alone in an isolated sort of way.
- I've ended up being a little more practical as of late due to work and school where I actually do have to finish things on time and make them as best as possible although I still postpone school work most of the time cause most of it isn't something I'm particularly interested in or I consider it too simple or boring... I do think that sometimes some thoughts or ideas should be transposed into reality.

I've looked over INFP descriptions, and read a few things about ISTP and while I can relate to a few things, I still think I fit into INTP more.

So if anyone could shed some light on the matter, I'd be grateful for the help!
Thanks.

P.S. I am aware that I might not have mentioned relevant details so if there's anything that could help type me easier, please let me know and I'd happily provide it.

G

Glycerine

INTP- a huge wall of text and rationalization/explanation for each point (in a fairly dispassionate way). None of your potential concerns contradict it.

Unless one is severely damaged, everyone has empathy. Being a T doesn't mean one is without emotions or concern/empathy for people one cares about.

Regardless of type, one has to be somewhat practical to get things done in the real world (theorizing and coming up with ideas is great and all but if you can't translate some of it into reality, what's the point?).

Humans are generally social beings (evolutionarily speaking, that's why we have big brains) so unless you're incredibly introverted or have attachment problems, I can't see why you wouldn't be lonely if you have isolated yourself too much.

Plus the tests aren't reliable, the results can easily change depending on mood or if you know what the questions represent.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, INTP.
(May be a bit biased from wall of text though.)

Adyjay

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Thank you for your responses!

I wonder if I could come off as INFP when, for example, I end up liking someone and I take my emotions more into consideration than usual, or when I can't be as logical as I want due to feelings clouding my judgement... I usually end up either analyzing a whole lot more than I normally do, or I start reacting weird... Hmm...

louiesgonnadie

undergoing self-analysis
Thank you for your responses!

I wonder if I could come off as INFP when, for example, I end up liking someone and I take my emotions more into consideration than usual, or when I can't be as logical as I want due to feelings clouding my judgement... I usually end up either analyzing a whole lot more than I normally do, or I start reacting weird... Hmm...

I sometimes get this way too when I am infatuated with someone, and I've been suspected to be an INTP on the internet. So I'd say it's almost pretty normal, love is powerful and makes all of us irrational or illogical at times.

Adyjay

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I sometimes get this way too when I am infatuated with someone, and I've been suspected to be an INTP on the internet. So I'd say it's almost pretty normal, love is powerful and makes all of us irrational or illogical at times.

I guess so, although the idea could be debated a whole lot more.

I was also thinking that maybe because I sometimes think or rather feel like helping some people that I think are worth the trouble that I might be somewhere between T and F. Although most of the time I am more T than F, I do have moments when I take others into consideration and think about them, or sometimes about the whole context and how it things could be placed to get the best possible outcome.

Of course that could very well be me being INTP but also in tone with my emotional side in some percentage, or just a little more conscious about certain aspects which I take into consideration, or maybe I just think that by helping people, that might help me solve my loneliness in some way. Or maybe that's just Fe for me ?

Aesthete

Gone
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INTP: the wall of text proves it. I only ever wrote a post like that once (discussing the possibility of miracles), and it took me somewhere between half an hour and an hour.:D You're quite analytical about all these details, so I'm sticking with INTP.

G

Glycerine

int
I guess so, although the idea could be debated a whole lot more.

I was also thinking that maybe because I sometimes think or rather feel like helping some people that I think are worth the trouble that I might be somewhere between T and F. Although most of the time I am more T than F, I do have moments when I take others into consideration and think about them, or sometimes about the whole context and how it things could be placed to get the best possible outcome.

Of course that could very well be me being INTP but also in tone with my emotional side in some percentage, or just a little more conscious about certain aspects which I take into consideration, or maybe I just think that by helping people, that might help me solve my loneliness in some way. Or maybe that's just Fe for me ?
It just means that you aren't an asshole...that's all. Or a robot. Or Spock. :D

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INTP: the wall of text proves it. I only ever wrote a post like that once (discussing the possibility of miracles), and it took me somewhere between half an hour and an hour.:D You're quite analytical about all these details, so I'm sticking with INTP.

IDK... I'm a wall-o-texter and I use bullet points like that in self-descriptions.... but I do think the OP is INTP.

To the OP: everyone has feelings and emotions. Having empathy means you're not a sociopath :D. The Fi ego is built around what is valuable/important/necessary in relation to the human condition. This means we experience our feelings as rational, and the emotions are signals or supporters that tag along. You speak mostly of impersonal thought - thinking of things in terms of what it is as detached from a human context, not what it's worth in terms of people. When you speak of "feeling", you link it with emotion as if it's mainly a sentimental experience. This suggests your feeling is NOT dominant, and in the case of the INTP, inferior.

IMO, a lot of INxPs get stuck on the T/F thing because of the play between the dominant and inferior functions.

louiesgonnadie

undergoing self-analysis
A lot of INTPs question their T, actually. So I've heard.

It's amazing what Ti-dom can do to you! :shrug:

KatharineML

MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Hi - yes, it is VERY important that we don't think of T type people as having no emotions or of introverts as not needing people. That would make them less than human. From my observations, T's have just as strong emotions as F types, it's just that they don't make decisions by them and are better at laying them to one side when considering things. They are also less liable to consider other's emotions, but that doesn't mean that, when faced with them, they don't care at all. They might offer rational solutions, but this would be because they care.

Adyjay

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Hi - yes, it is VERY important that we don't think of T type people as having no emotions or of introverts as not needing people. That would make them less than human. From my observations, T's have just as strong emotions as F types, it's just that they don't make decisions by them and are better at laying them to one side when considering things. They are also less liable to consider other's emotions, but that doesn't mean that, when faced with them, they don't care at all. They might offer rational solutions, but this would be because they care.

Indeed, I've been observing this more and more as of late.

IDK... I'm a wall-o-texter and I use bullet points like that in self-descriptions.... but I do think the OP is INTP.

To the OP: everyone has feelings and emotions. Having empathy means you're not a sociopath :D. The Fi ego is built around what is valuable/important/necessary in relation to the human condition. This means we experience our feelings as rational, and the emotions are signals or supporters that tag along. You speak mostly of impersonal thought - thinking of things in terms of what it is as detached from a human context, not what it's worth in terms of people. When you speak of "feeling", you link it with emotion as if it's mainly a sentimental experience. This suggests your feeling is NOT dominant, and in the case of the INTP, inferior.

IMO, a lot of INxPs get stuck on the T/F thing because of the play between the dominant and inferior functions.

Yes, I seem to be analyzing more from a logical standpoint.

Also, sorry for digging up this grave (topic), it's been a busy year and I just remembered to come on here and read the post and realized I haven't replied to all of you, so thank you once again. :)