User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Default Type me! INTP or INTJ

I've had several people on this forum and, recently, someone in day-to-day life tell me I'm an INTP. (I always pretend to be ignorant of MBTI around people, it was something she said with no prompting on my part.) I know that according to the "rules" (scoff) of typology, INTJ and INTP should be quite different, but I've always seen equal parts of myself in the descriptions of both, so I'll go under the lens and get the opinion of anyone interested in responding.

To wit:

- It irritates me that I haven't been able to decide on one or the other, but I also don't want to jump to conclusions. I sometimes worry I'll never decide one way or the other, since we're always discovering new facets of our own personalities. Unless we suck.

- I don't mind deadlines, I'm always punctual, and I keep my office and apartment organized.

- On my days off I'd rather not have anything in particular planned.

- I have no problem delegating tasks at work, and I think I'm a reasonable judge of character. I can usually get a good "feel" on the kind of person someone is within a few minutes of meeting and talking with them.

- I'm a MAJOR pedant and learning to keep my mouth shut when people say things that are not factual is something I still struggle with.

- I notice immediately when someone's argument or statement is not consistent, with no effort. The inconsistencies irritate me, like someone is eating with his mouth open right into my brain's ear.

- I'm extremely dismissive toward emotional people. I have a friend who I think is a likely candidate for INFJ. I admire his intelligence, but I just don't even bother seeing movies with that guy anymore since he always wants to talk about these "human" themes and characters' relationships with one another and blah blah blah wish I could change the channel in real life.

- I think fiction is boring.

- I sound like a real asshole right now, but in day-to-day life people tend to find me unassuming and easy to get along with. (So far as I can tell.)

- I enjoy learning more than anything, but I do like opportunities to demonstrate what I've learned through creation or practice.

- Schopenhauer (almost certainly an INTJ) is my favorite philosopher, and if I'd been born to wealth and didn't have to worry about being nice and getting along with people, I'd probably be just like him. (Except the misogyny part. Also he could have stood to ratchet down the righteous indignation a few notches.)

- I haaaaaaaaaaaaaaate exercise, but do it anyway. I'm in slightly-above-average shape.

- I can make decisions fairly easily and for some reason people at work insist on coming to me to get my opinion when decisions need to be made even though I've told everyone repeatedly I'm not a manager and they don't need to okay things with me. I don't even work full time, since I'm also attending university. Again.

Okay, that's all that comes to mind. Feel free to ask questions! Assuming this post interests anyone, which it very well may not.
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

-- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so

Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    I've had several people on this forum and, recently, someone in day-to-day life tell me I'm an INTP. (I always pretend to be ignorant of MBTI around people, it was something she said with no prompting on my part.) I know that according to the "rules" (scoff) of typology, INTJ and INTP should be quite different, but I've always seen equal parts of myself in the descriptions of both, so I'll go under the lens and get the opinion of anyone interested in responding.

To wit:

- It irritates me that I haven't been able to decide on one or the other, but I also don't want to jump to conclusions. I sometimes worry I'll never decide one way or the other, since we're always discovering new facets of our own personalities. Unless we suck.

- I don't mind deadlines, I'm always punctual, and I keep my office and apartment organized.

- I have no problem delegating tasks at work, and I think I'm a reasonable judge of character. I can usually get a good "feel" on the kind of person someone is within a few minutes of meeting and talking with them.

- I'm a MAJOR pedant and learning to keep my mouth shut when people say things that are not factual is something I still struggle with.

- I notice immediately when someone's argument or statement is not consistent, with no effort. The inconsistencies irritate me, like someone is eating with his mouth open right into my brain's ear.

- I'm extremely dismissive toward emotional people. I have a friend who I think is a likely candidate for INFJ. I admire his intelligence, but I just don't even bother seeing movies with that guy anymore since he always wants to talk about these "human" themes and characters' relationships with one another and blah blah blah wish I could change the channel in real life.

- I sound like a real asshole right now, but in day-to-day life people tend to find me unassuming and easy to get along with. (So far as I can tell.)

- I enjoy learning more than anything, but I do like opportunities to demonstrate what I've learned through creation or practice.

- Schopenhauer (almost certainly an INTJ) is my favorite philosopher, and if I'd been born to wealth and didn't have to worry about being nice and getting along with people, I'd probably be just like him. (Except the misogyny part. Also he could have stood to ratchet down the righteous indignation a few notches.)

- I haaaaaaaaaaaaaaate exercise, but do it anyway. I'm in slightly-above-average shape.

- I can make decisions fairly easily and for some reason people at work insist on coming to me to get my opinion when decisions need to be made even though I've told everyone repeatedly I'm not a manager and they don't need to okay things with me. I don't even work full time, since I'm also attending university. Again.

Okay, that's all that comes to mind. Feel free to ask questions! Assuming this post interests anyone, which it very well may not.
    INTJ. You come off far more like the INTJs I know than the INTPs I know. Actually a lot of the things you said I've heard before from my INTJ friends.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

No takers, huh? All right, but I'm linking to this every time somebody on this board insists I'm an INTP who's mistyped himself. Out of curiosity, Honor, which of the things I mentioned were things you've heard INTJs say?
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

MBTI
    iNtj
    Enneagram
    etc

My honest first impression was ISTJ (just like what I believe Mark Gatiss' Mycroft to be!), but it's not definite at all.
    You don't strike me as very INTP, so if I were you I'd spend more time distinguishing between Ni vs. Si in yourself rather than Ti/Ne vs. Ni/Te.
    iNtj // rlua|I|
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    for one moment,
    i wish you'd hold your stage
    with no feelings at all

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so

No takers, huh? All right, but I'm linking to this every time somebody on this board insists I'm an INTP who's mistyped himself. Out of curiosity, Honor, which of the things I mentioned were things you've heard INTJs say?
    Oops, sorry I didn't see this. You should have tagged me! Well, actually this post right here ^ screams TJ.

EDIT: I can also see ISTJ as a good fit.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Default Ah, I know this issue.

First, J and P are on a scale. You may score 50/50 in general. If so, there is a problem interpreting the whole system. But you can check you preference for Ni (INTJ's dominant function) and Ne (INTP's supporting function) for instance here.

And remenber, other people will always see more of your extraverted side, so you have to filter feedback with this in mind.

I have a question for you: if you are in a discussion, would you bring up controversial points even if you are not really sure about them? Just testing your own logic. Or would you prevent to bring such ideas forward and keep your thoughts in your head until you are pretty sure about what you are saying?

Riva

Can you describe yourself using single words? It might not be helpful in the end. But lets see where it goes.

From the people from RL I've noticed that INTJs tend to be extremely decisive (probably the most decisive of all types) and though not the Jock types are in to sports - atleast during school - and tend to excel - though never the most popular. And INTJs seem to have firm structures. INTPs even well built ones don't look firm. This is probably due to their inferior Se.

But overall INTPs tend to be more contemplative (therefore more introspective) and tend to have larger areas of expertise (when it comes to knowledge - Si) than most INTJs. Their Achilles's heel however is being decisive.

I do realize I am going to o much in to the specifics but it might help.

WALMART

As has been mentioned, I'd look into Si/Ni before Ti as a primary candidate.

I'm gonna play the odds and call you and ISTJ, though I have no real evidence for your introversion, either.

Infinite Bubble

Wanting closure is more INTJ.

Generally more of an INTJ thing. INTPs most of the time prefer to be free from deadlines.

More likely to be P dominant. I suspect Pi as of now.

Could be either. INTJs are known to be able to 'see' through people.

I think this leans towards Ti.

More Ti than anything again. But could be either again.

Typical thinker attitude, haha. But INTPs are supposedly more accepting so perhaps wouldn't mind as much.

Strikes me as S and T.

Either again.

INTJs are more likely to apply knowledge; INTPs more often learn for its own sake.

The fact that you 'worry' about being nice indicates there's Fe somwhat, but it could be an Fi value.

Possible inferior Se. If you had no Se, you probably wouldn't bother at all.

Obviously extraverting your J function. Consistent with INTJ.

Just my first impressions. From the two original options, I'm going with INTJ. But as others have said above, ISTJ also fits, so I'll say IxTJ. Look to see whether Ni or Si fits better. Are you certain about your introversion?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Thank you to everyone who's taken the time to respond.

Interestingly, S/N has always been my "softest" attribute following J/P. I'm definitely a more "big picture" kind of thinker, though. I've noticed the difference between how I learn, and how an ISTJ I was close with learned. I like to flip through the whole book, get a general idea, and start putting together a rough overview in my mind and then think on it for a while, then returning for the details to fill in my idea as I go along. I start with the big picture and gain a more detailed understanding over time. Meanwhile, said ISTJ would learn the material cold, move on to the next chapter, and repeat, slowly "building up" an understanding. If anything, I think I've just learned to be a bit more "S" because memorization of facts is crucial to learning, and I like learning a whole bunch.

I can see INTP for myself in that the descriptions of how INTPs learn seems closer to how I learn. I like to "dive in" and just immerse myself in it and tinker and try things out, rather than drafting up some big "learning plan" and going from there.

I'm unquestionably an introvert, though.