• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type me! INTP or INTJ

Il Morto Che Parla

MBTI Type
xxTP
[MENTION=6643]Fluffywolf[/MENTION] - why does finding fiction boring imply J?

I would think Ni doms like fiction, especially fantasy.

I wouldn't say "fiction is boring" in those terms (unless Iw anted to be provocative or tongue-in-cheek which I do often), but I haven't read fiction for years.

I guess you are implying that fiction is non-productive so J's may see it as a waste of time, but he said "boring" not "waste of time" so I'm not sure.

Overall, I am not convinced about [MENTION=332]Mycroft[/MENTION] and would like to know more background. Is he just very career-driven or is it some family connection that gave him a powerful role so early in life (i.e. "own office"?).

The writing style seems fairly xNTP-ish (possible mistyped ENTP? - I can provide links on why ENTP often mistype as INTJ) but the real life examples, not so much, this is why I'm confused.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Whilst it is mostly of course a preference that everyone, regardless of type, can have. The fact that he made a list of about 10 or so things and felt that this particular fact was worth mentioning in that short list without going into much detail as to why he feels that way, means that for him this opinion is of a lot of importance to his character on a general level. That in itself implies J.

Another factor could be (regarding the INTP/INTJ P/J dichotomy) that fiction is rarily based on solid factual fundaments and more often riddled with tons of inconsistencies that, especially INTJ's, can readily see and struggle to overcome. INTP's can spot these inconsistencies quite easily as well, but INTP's can ignore a lot of those inconsistencies if there is at least some level of resonance to be found elsewhere.

Il Morto Che Parla

MBTI Type
xxTP
Whilest it is mostly of course a preference that everyone, regardless of type, can have. The fact that he made a list of about 10 or so things and felt that this particular fact was worth mentioning in that short list, means that for him this opinion is of a lot of importance to his character. That in itself implies J.

Another factor could be that fiction is rarily based on solid factual fundaments and more often riddled with tons of inconsistencies that, especially INTJ's, can readily see and struggle to overcome. INTP's can spot these inconsistencies quite easily as well, but INTP's can ignore a lot of those inconsistencies if there is at least some level of resonance to be found elsewhere.

Hmmm I see what you mean about the lists, though is it Te or Fe?

Regarding fiction, I see your theory but alternatively, INTJ's are Ni-dom so can love fantasy and the like. INTP's are Ti-dom and may be more realistic?

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmmm I see what you mean about the lists, though is it Te or Fe?

Regarding fiction, I see your theory but alternatively, INTJ's are Ni-dom so can love fantasy and the like. INTP's are Ti-dom and may be more realistic?

I think the secundary says more about it. You indulge in fiction in your spare time. Time you spent winding down or relaxing. An INTP is more likely to indulge their Ne in these situations, and fiction + Ne is a good combination. For an INTJ, it all winds down to how much their Te can stomach inconsistencies, and how important reality is to that INTJ or how stable said INTJ is. Ni doesn't really discriminate between fiction and non-fiction I think.

Meddling in fiction for an INTP is just having a good time. Meddling in fiction for an INTJ probably stems more from a need to momentarily put aside reality to relieve stress. If there's no stress, there's probably not much to gain from an INTJ indulging in fiction and will probably be considered a waste of time.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I wouldn't say "fiction is boring" in those terms (unless Iw anted to be provocative or tongue-in-cheek which I do often), but I haven't read fiction for years.

I guess you are implying that fiction is non-productive so J's may see it as a waste of time, but he said "boring" not "waste of time" so I'm not sure.

Overall, I am not convinced about [MENTION=332]Mycroft[/MENTION] and would like to know more background. Is he just very career-driven or is it some family connection that gave him a powerful role so early in life (i.e. "own office"?).

The writing style seems fairly xNTP-ish (possible mistyped ENTP? - I can provide links on why ENTP often mistype as INTJ) but the real life examples, not so much, this is why I'm confused.

I told mycroft in a rep that I thought INTJ 5w6 so/sp was a fair assumption, but now seeing this comment, along with some of the others in this thread, I'm wondering whether ENTP 5w6 so/sp might be right, since the N could be dominant (but if it were Ni the interests could be more along the lines of fantasy and esotericism and which, of course like you said, they aren't), but he does seem to take a more external view like an extravert and/or a social first, and Ti could be there too, seeing the intense logical analysis going into his thinking. Anyway, I also have found from experience that ENTPs and INTJs seem much more active than their lazy INTP counterparts, and based on what mycroft told us about himself, he clearly likes to work and accomplish things.

Ya so I'm changing my mind and saying 5w6 so/sp is most likely right along with 1. ENTP, 2. INTJ, and 3. INTP, in that order. (If I misrepresented you [MENTION=332]Mycroft[/MENTION] then fix my mistakes).

Il Morto Che Parla

MBTI Type
xxTP
I think the secundary says more about it. You indulge in fiction in your spare time. Time you spent winding down or relaxing. An INTP is more likely to indulge their Ne in these situations, and fiction + Ne is a good combination. For an INTJ, it all winds down to how much their Te can stomach inconsistencies, and how important reality is to that INTJ or how stable said INTJ is. Ni doesn't really discriminate between fiction and non-fiction I think.

Meddling in fiction for an INTP is just having a good time. Meddling in fiction for an INTJ probably stems more from a need to momentarily put aside reality to relieve stress. If there's no stress, there's probably not much to gain from an INTJ indulging in fiction and will probably be considered a waste of time.

I'm not sure that fiction is any more inconsistent than non-fictional theories, or that Ne would favour fiction over theories when it comes to free time. I tend to associate ITJ's very much with fantasy, moreso than ITP's.

R

Riva

I'm not sure that fiction is any more inconsistent than non-fictional theories, or that Ne would favour fiction over theories when it comes to free time. I tend to associate ITJ's very much with fantasy, moreso than ITP's.

Agree.

That could very well be explained by introverted thinking.

Infact it could be a good idea for a new thread and the poll options could be -

ITJ - likes fiction over theoretical
ITJ - likes theoretical over fiction
ITP - likes fiction over theoretical
ITP - likes theoretical over fiction

There is a small issue in the putting INTJs and ISTJs together though since their doms are not the same. So instead of ITJs it could be INJs?

Nicodemus

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Whilst it is mostly of course a preference that everyone, regardless of type, can have. The fact that he made a list of about 10 or so things and felt that this particular fact was worth mentioning in that short list without going into much detail as to why he feels that way, means that for him this opinion is of a lot of importance to his character on a general level. That in itself implies J.

Another factor could be (regarding the INTP/INTJ P/J dichotomy) that fiction is rarily based on solid factual fundaments and more often riddled with tons of inconsistencies that, especially INTJ's, can readily see and struggle to overcome. INTP's can spot these inconsistencies quite easily as well, but INTP's can ignore a lot of those inconsistencies if there is at least some level of resonance to be found elsewhere.

It's interesting this is how you view it... as in several threads on here in the Arts and Entertainment section, it's the INTP's who seem to get very caught up in inconsistencies, which then ruins an entire movie/book for them, etc. I always thought INTJ's had an easier time of suspending reality, and not honing in on little things which blow the whole thing for them. Interesting we notice different trends.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's interesting this is how you view it... as in several threads on here in the Arts and Entertainment section, it's the INTP's who seem to get very caught up in inconsistencies, which then ruins an entire movie/book for them, etc. I always thought INTJ's had an easier time of suspending reality. Interesting we notice different trends.

I have to stress is does depend on the redeeming qualities the book or movie or whatever has though. I mean, if it's through and through bad, then it's another story. But I doubt an INTJ would feel any different in that regard.

I do think Te is much more unforgiving though. Or perhaps I'm just extraordinarily forgiving for an INTP? :D

Nicodemus

A lot of people misunderstand the I/E axis by reading it in terms of social introversion/extraversion and not in terms of function order. An ENTP especially may be convinced they an Introvert. Explained well here:

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29383&p=1993072&viewfull=1#post1993072
If someone who knows the terms describes himself as 'unquestionably an introvert', I am inclined to believe him. I would also say that, if you are 'unquestionably an introvert' in any sense, you cannot be ENTP.

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

Nothing so impressive, I'm afraid. There was an open office and I told the boss-man it would help me to concentrate if I could have a quiet office to work in, since my work involves a great deal of concentration, and he agreed. I have no idea how long this will last, so I'm enjoying it while it does.

I'm "career driven" only in that I've come to the conclusion the only thing I consider worthwhile is gathering and applying information, so I'm working toward being able to do that as much as possible every day. I've had jobs where I was just pushing buttons and pulling levers and worrying about the bottom line, and it made me want to stick a gun in my mouth.

As for fiction, I just don't find it very informative. It's just 300-plus pages of some author's opinion and his/her often mistaken understanding of a popular scientific theory or philosophy. (I do think escapism is a waste of time, though. I don't know how anyone can walk out of a Tarantino film and not feel like he just flushed two hours of his life down the toilet. That's a post for another section, though.)

I do like some sci-fi, though. I liked BSG (reimagined) because, despite the setting, it was real. I find something fictional I like about once every 10 years though, so I guess that's that for a while.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Zarathustra, thank you for your participation.

From the meaning of the pieces of the term, I'd have to guess you're referring to something along the lines of looking down upon perspectives, without feeling loyal to any particular one.

*takes notes*

If we've typed our variant instincts correctly, though, something we have to bear in mind is that we'll be two very different varieties of INTJ. (Assuming that's my type.) I've seen SX-dominance described as "inner awareness", whereas SO is "interpersonal and outer awareness", which would have an impact on how we engage "Te".

Yes, this is true of enneagram type, variants, and many other things.

Still, I've seen the term used of Ni, completely independent of my own coinage/adoption of the term.

I'm still not sure about your type -- never have been -- but I do think ISTJ is actually something to consider.

I haven't read most of the thread, but I don't think behavioral stuff is usually the best to look at.

One type or another could do 90% of that stuff, in some way, so it's not that helpful.

Last edited:

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
*takes notes*

Yes, this is true of enneagram type, variants, and many other things.

Still, I've seen the term used of Ni, completely independent of my own coinage/adoption of the term.

I'm still not sure about your type -- never have been -- but I do think ISTJ is actually something to consider.

I haven't read most of the thread, but I don't think behavioral stuff is usually the best to look at.

One type or another could do 90% of that stuff, in some way, so it's not that helpful.

I dunno, I just really don't see ISTJ for myself. I don't have any problem with ISTJs, and many of them are quite brilliant, but I don't have the attention span for concrete facts that they do. I always start with the theory first and learn the facts later. With flashcards, usually.

In light of Nicodemus' post, I'm going to stand by my thesis that I'm an INTJ who seems a little INTP-y on account of being an Enneagram five. (I also seem to recall ElfBoy saying that SO-dominant INTJs are uncommon, but I have no idea where he came by that, so I can't really comment either way. My personal intuition is that INTJs are more often SP-dominants, but that could just be confirmation bias, not to mention that anecdotes are not sound evidence.)

It's also true what you say, about behavior evidence. The problem with personality typing is that the logic is circular: how do we know how INTJs behave? Based on what a body of INTJs have told us. How do we know that they were, in fact INTJs? Because what they told us was in line with the way INTJs have described themselves. And around we go.

Considering how completely unscientific it is, I don't know why it bothers me that I haven't been able to label myself. I look upon it as a bit of personal weakness, but I've been fascinated by the idea ever since reading Jung's descriptions of the dominant psychological types.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
I dunno, I just really don't see ISTJ for myself. I don't have any problem with ISTJs, and many of them are quite brilliant, but I don't have the attention span for concrete facts that they do. I always start with the theory first and learn the facts later. With flashcards, usually.

Yes, you wrote something above about the way you learn -- skimming thru the whole thing, getting a broad idea, then going back and filling in the details (something like that). It's very similar to how I do things. Hell, I'll just read about books, not even spend/waste the time reading them, as there's so much reading one could do, if one had unlimited time, but, so long as I can get the conceptual underpinning of the book, unless it is especially illuminating, the details are just filler to the donut that I've already eaten.

In light of Nicodemus' post, I'm going to stand by my thesis that I'm an INTJ who seems a little INTP-y on account of being an Enneagram five. (I also seem to recall ElfBoy saying that SO-dominant INTJs are uncommon, but I have no idea where he came by that, so I can't really comment either way. My personal intuition is that INTJs are more often SP-dominants, but that could just be confirmation bias, not to mention that anecdotes are not sound evidence.)

It's not just INTJs.

SPs are the most common, SOs second, and SXs least.

If I had to wager a guess, it would almost be a 60-30-10 breakdown.

As such, yes, INTJs are more likely to be SPs, but I think it is also true that they tend to be SP at higher than a 60% rate.

I have yet to run into any other INTJ sx/so's, I don't think, although I've heard that someone on here has a sibling who is also INTJ 6w5 sx/so (the only other one I've ever heard of), and have only encountered one or two INTJ sx/sp's, I think, so I'm not sure whether INTJ sx's are rarer or more common than INTJ so's, but it would make sense, just due to the nature of the beast, that INTJs would not tend to be social dominants. I wouldn't be surprised if the ratio were more like 80-10-10 for us.