User Tag List

First 234

Results 31 to 36 of 36

  1. #31
    Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,422

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    It's interesting this is how you view it... as in several threads on here in the Arts and Entertainment section, it's the INTP's who seem to get very caught up in inconsistencies, which then ruins an entire movie/book for them, etc. I always thought INTJ's had an easier time of suspending reality. Interesting we notice different trends.
    I have to stress is does depend on the redeeming qualities the book or movie or whatever has though. I mean, if it's through and through bad, then it's another story. But I doubt an INTJ would feel any different in that regard.

    I do think Te is much more unforgiving though. Or perhaps I'm just extraordinarily forgiving for an INTP?
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

  2. #32
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Il Morto Che Parla View Post
    A lot of people misunderstand the I/E axis by reading it in terms of social introversion/extraversion and not in terms of function order. An ENTP especially may be convinced they an Introvert. Explained well here:

    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=1#post1993072
    If someone who knows the terms describes himself as 'unquestionably an introvert', I am inclined to believe him. I would also say that, if you are 'unquestionably an introvert' in any sense, you cannot be ENTP.

  3. #33
    The elder Holmes Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp
    Posts
    1,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Il Morto Che Parla View Post
    @Fluffywolf - why does finding fiction boring imply J?

    I would think Ni doms like fiction, especially fantasy.

    I wouldn't say "fiction is boring" in those terms (unless Iw anted to be provocative or tongue-in-cheek which I do often), but I haven't read fiction for years.

    I guess you are implying that fiction is non-productive so J's may see it as a waste of time, but he said "boring" not "waste of time" so I'm not sure.

    Overall, I am not convinced about @Mycroft and would like to know more background. Is he just very career-driven or is it some family connection that gave him a powerful role so early in life (i.e. "own office"?).

    The writing style seems fairly xNTP-ish (possible mistyped ENTP? - I can provide links on why ENTP often mistype as INTJ) but the real life examples, not so much, this is why I'm confused.
    Nothing so impressive, I'm afraid. There was an open office and I told the boss-man it would help me to concentrate if I could have a quiet office to work in, since my work involves a great deal of concentration, and he agreed. I have no idea how long this will last, so I'm enjoying it while it does.

    I'm "career driven" only in that I've come to the conclusion the only thing I consider worthwhile is gathering and applying information, so I'm working toward being able to do that as much as possible every day. I've had jobs where I was just pushing buttons and pulling levers and worrying about the bottom line, and it made me want to stick a gun in my mouth.

    As for fiction, I just don't find it very informative. It's just 300-plus pages of some author's opinion and his/her often mistaken understanding of a popular scientific theory or philosophy. (I do think escapism is a waste of time, though. I don't know how anyone can walk out of a Tarantino film and not feel like he just flushed two hours of his life down the toilet. That's a post for another section, though.)

    I do like some sci-fi, though. I liked BSG (reimagined) because, despite the setting, it was real. I find something fictional I like about once every 10 years though, so I guess that's that for a while.
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

    -- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

  4. #34
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    Zarathustra, thank you for your participation.

    From the meaning of the pieces of the term, I'd have to guess you're referring to something along the lines of looking down upon perspectives, without feeling loyal to any particular one.
    *takes notes*

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    If we've typed our variant instincts correctly, though, something we have to bear in mind is that we'll be two very different varieties of INTJ. (Assuming that's my type.) I've seen SX-dominance described as "inner awareness", whereas SO is "interpersonal and outer awareness", which would have an impact on how we engage "Te".
    Yes, this is true of enneagram type, variants, and many other things.

    Still, I've seen the term used of Ni, completely independent of my own coinage/adoption of the term.

    I'm still not sure about your type -- never have been -- but I do think ISTJ is actually something to consider.

    I haven't read most of the thread, but I don't think behavioral stuff is usually the best to look at.

    One type or another could do 90% of that stuff, in some way, so it's not that helpful.
    Last edited by Zarathustra; 01-13-2013 at 11:44 AM.

  5. #35
    The elder Holmes Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp
    Posts
    1,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    *takes notes*



    Yes, this is true of enneagram type, variants, and many other things.

    Still, I've seen the term used of Ni, completely independent of my own coinage/adoption of the term.

    I'm still not sure about your type -- never have been -- but I do think ISTJ is actually something to consider.

    I haven't read most of the thread, but I don't think behavioral stuff is usually the best to look at.

    One type or another could do 90% of that stuff, in some way, so it's not that helpful.
    I dunno, I just really don't see ISTJ for myself. I don't have any problem with ISTJs, and many of them are quite brilliant, but I don't have the attention span for concrete facts that they do. I always start with the theory first and learn the facts later. With flashcards, usually.

    In light of Nicodemus' post, I'm going to stand by my thesis that I'm an INTJ who seems a little INTP-y on account of being an Enneagram five. (I also seem to recall ElfBoy saying that SO-dominant INTJs are uncommon, but I have no idea where he came by that, so I can't really comment either way. My personal intuition is that INTJs are more often SP-dominants, but that could just be confirmation bias, not to mention that anecdotes are not sound evidence.)

    It's also true what you say, about behavior evidence. The problem with personality typing is that the logic is circular: how do we know how INTJs behave? Based on what a body of INTJs have told us. How do we know that they were, in fact INTJs? Because what they told us was in line with the way INTJs have described themselves. And around we go.

    Considering how completely unscientific it is, I don't know why it bothers me that I haven't been able to label myself. I look upon it as a bit of personal weakness, but I've been fascinated by the idea ever since reading Jung's descriptions of the dominant psychological types.
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

    -- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

  6. #36
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    I dunno, I just really don't see ISTJ for myself. I don't have any problem with ISTJs, and many of them are quite brilliant, but I don't have the attention span for concrete facts that they do. I always start with the theory first and learn the facts later. With flashcards, usually.
    Yes, you wrote something above about the way you learn -- skimming thru the whole thing, getting a broad idea, then going back and filling in the details (something like that). It's very similar to how I do things. Hell, I'll just read about books, not even spend/waste the time reading them, as there's so much reading one could do, if one had unlimited time, but, so long as I can get the conceptual underpinning of the book, unless it is especially illuminating, the details are just filler to the donut that I've already eaten.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    In light of Nicodemus' post, I'm going to stand by my thesis that I'm an INTJ who seems a little INTP-y on account of being an Enneagram five. (I also seem to recall ElfBoy saying that SO-dominant INTJs are uncommon, but I have no idea where he came by that, so I can't really comment either way. My personal intuition is that INTJs are more often SP-dominants, but that could just be confirmation bias, not to mention that anecdotes are not sound evidence.)
    It's not just INTJs.

    SPs are the most common, SOs second, and SXs least.

    If I had to wager a guess, it would almost be a 60-30-10 breakdown.

    As such, yes, INTJs are more likely to be SPs, but I think it is also true that they tend to be SP at higher than a 60% rate.

    I have yet to run into any other INTJ sx/so's, I don't think, although I've heard that someone on here has a sibling who is also INTJ 6w5 sx/so (the only other one I've ever heard of), and have only encountered one or two INTJ sx/sp's, I think, so I'm not sure whether INTJ sx's are rarer or more common than INTJ so's, but it would make sense, just due to the nature of the beast, that INTJs would not tend to be social dominants. I wouldn't be surprised if the ratio were more like 80-10-10 for us.

Similar Threads

  1. Type me. Any takers? INTJ? INTP?
    By Moonstone3 in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-01-2010, 10:29 PM
  2. INFP, INTP, or INTJ?
    By Fairymouse in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-27-2010, 06:08 PM
  3. Best friend: INTP or INTJ?
    By LEVINA in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09-16-2009, 09:49 PM
  4. An INTP or INTJ Says Hi
    By skycloud86 in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-09-2009, 04:25 PM
  5. A Girl I Know, INTP or INTJ?
    By Orangey in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-20-2009, 07:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO