User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    xxTP

@Fluffywolf - why does finding fiction boring imply J?

I would think Ni doms like fiction, especially fantasy.

I wouldn't say "fiction is boring" in those terms (unless Iw anted to be provocative or tongue-in-cheek which I do often), but I haven't read fiction for years.

I guess you are implying that fiction is non-productive so J's may see it as a waste of time, but he said "boring" not "waste of time" so I'm not sure.

Overall, I am not convinced about @Mycroft and would like to know more background. Is he just very career-driven or is it some family connection that gave him a powerful role so early in life (i.e. "own office"?).

The writing style seems fairly xNTP-ish (possible mistyped ENTP? - I can provide links on why ENTP often mistype as INTJ) but the real life examples, not so much, this is why I'm confused.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Il Morto Che Parla View Post
    Whilst it is mostly of course a preference that everyone, regardless of type, can have. The fact that he made a list of about 10 or so things and felt that this particular fact was worth mentioning in that short list without going into much detail as to why he feels that way, means that for him this opinion is of a lot of importance to his character on a general level. That in itself implies J.

Another factor could be (regarding the INTP/INTJ P/J dichotomy) that fiction is rarily based on solid factual fundaments and more often riddled with tons of inconsistencies that, especially INTJ's, can readily see and struggle to overcome. INTP's can spot these inconsistencies quite easily as well, but INTP's can ignore a lot of those inconsistencies if there is at least some level of resonance to be found elsewhere.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    xxTP

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Whilest it is mostly of course a preference that everyone, regardless of type, can have. The fact that he made a list of about 10 or so things and felt that this particular fact was worth mentioning in that short list, means that for him this opinion is of a lot of importance to his character. That in itself implies J.

Another factor could be that fiction is rarily based on solid factual fundaments and more often riddled with tons of inconsistencies that, especially INTJ's, can readily see and struggle to overcome. INTP's can spot these inconsistencies quite easily as well, but INTP's can ignore a lot of those inconsistencies if there is at least some level of resonance to be found elsewhere.
    Hmmm I see what you mean about the lists, though is it Te or Fe?

Regarding fiction, I see your theory but alternatively, INTJ's are Ni-dom so can love fantasy and the like. INTP's are Ti-dom and may be more realistic?

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Hmmm I see what you mean about the lists, though is it Te or Fe?

Regarding fiction, I see your theory but alternatively, INTJ's are Ni-dom so can love fantasy and the like. INTP's are Ti-dom and may be more realistic?
    I think the secundary says more about it. You indulge in fiction in your spare time. Time you spent winding down or relaxing. An INTP is more likely to indulge their Ne in these situations, and fiction + Ne is a good combination. For an INTJ, it all winds down to how much their Te can stomach inconsistencies, and how important reality is to that INTJ or how stable said INTJ is. Ni doesn't really discriminate between fiction and non-fiction I think.

Meddling in fiction for an INTP is just having a good time. Meddling in fiction for an INTJ probably stems more from a need to momentarily put aside reality to relieve stress. If there's no stress, there's probably not much to gain from an INTJ indulging in fiction and will probably be considered a waste of time.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

I would think Ni doms like fiction, especially fantasy.

I wouldn't say "fiction is boring" in those terms (unless Iw anted to be provocative or tongue-in-cheek which I do often), but I haven't read fiction for years.

I guess you are implying that fiction is non-productive so J's may see it as a waste of time, but he said "boring" not "waste of time" so I'm not sure.

Overall, I am not convinced about @Mycroft and would like to know more background. Is he just very career-driven or is it some family connection that gave him a powerful role so early in life (i.e. "own office"?).

The writing style seems fairly xNTP-ish (possible mistyped ENTP? - I can provide links on why ENTP often mistype as INTJ) but the real life examples, not so much, this is why I'm confused.
    I told mycroft in a rep that I thought INTJ 5w6 so/sp was a fair assumption, but now seeing this comment, along with some of the others in this thread, I'm wondering whether ENTP 5w6 so/sp might be right, since the N could be dominant (but if it were Ni the interests could be more along the lines of fantasy and esotericism and which, of course like you said, they aren't), but he does seem to take a more external view like an extravert and/or a social first, and Ti could be there too, seeing the intense logical analysis going into his thinking. Anyway, I also have found from experience that ENTPs and INTJs seem much more active than their lazy INTP counterparts, and based on what mycroft told us about himself, he clearly likes to work and accomplish things.

Ya so I'm changing my mind and saying 5w6 so/sp is most likely right along with 1. ENTP, 2. INTJ, and 3. INTP, in that order. (If I misrepresented you @Mycroft then fix my mistakes).

MBTI
    xxTP

I think the secundary says more about it. You indulge in fiction in your spare time. Time you spent winding down or relaxing. An INTP is more likely to indulge their Ne in these situations, and fiction + Ne is a good combination. For an INTJ, it all winds down to how much their Te can stomach inconsistencies, and how important reality is to that INTJ or how stable said INTJ is. Ni doesn't really discriminate between fiction and non-fiction I think.

Meddling in fiction for an INTP is just having a good time. Meddling in fiction for an INTJ probably stems more from a need to momentarily put aside reality to relieve stress. If there's no stress, there's probably not much to gain from an INTJ indulging in fiction and will probably be considered a waste of time.
    I'm not sure that fiction is any more inconsistent than non-fictional theories, or that Ne would favour fiction over theories when it comes to free time. I tend to associate ITJ's very much with fantasy, moreso than ITP's.

Riva

I'm not sure that fiction is any more inconsistent than non-fictional theories, or that Ne would favour fiction over theories when it comes to free time. I tend to associate ITJ's very much with fantasy, moreso than ITP's.
    Agree.

That could very well be explained by introverted thinking.

Infact it could be a good idea for a new thread and the poll options could be -

ITJ - likes fiction over theoretical
    ITJ - likes theoretical over fiction
    ITP - likes fiction over theoretical
    ITP - likes theoretical over fiction

There is a small issue in the putting INTJs and ISTJs together though since their doms are not the same. So instead of ITJs it could be INJs?

I counter your impression of writing style with this:

Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    I'm unquestionably an introvert, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    I'm definitely a "J" by this video's description.

MBTI
    xxTP

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I counter your impression of writing style with this:
    A lot of people misunderstand the I/E axis by reading it in terms of social introversion/extraversion and not in terms of function order. An ENTP especially may be convinced they an Introvert. Explained well here:

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=1#post1993072

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Whilst it is mostly of course a preference that everyone, regardless of type, can have. The fact that he made a list of about 10 or so things and felt that this particular fact was worth mentioning in that short list without going into much detail as to why he feels that way, means that for him this opinion is of a lot of importance to his character on a general level. That in itself implies J.

Another factor could be (regarding the INTP/INTJ P/J dichotomy) that fiction is rarily based on solid factual fundaments and more often riddled with tons of inconsistencies that, especially INTJ's, can readily see and struggle to overcome. INTP's can spot these inconsistencies quite easily as well, but INTP's can ignore a lot of those inconsistencies if there is at least some level of resonance to be found elsewhere.
    It's interesting this is how you view it... as in several threads on here in the Arts and Entertainment section, it's the INTP's who seem to get very caught up in inconsistencies, which then ruins an entire movie/book for them, etc. I always thought INTJ's had an easier time of suspending reality, and not honing in on little things which blow the whole thing for them. Interesting we notice different trends.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ