So, since I’m still unsure of my type, I thought I’d better make a thread for this. My uncertainty is probably stemming from the fact that I have a hard time applying the functions to my own personality. I could see myself using any of them really. Almost certain I’m an INxx type. When I first read the definition of an Intuitive, that’s when I realised what separated my thinking style from most other people. I seemingly look at the world in a very different way from others.
The J/P dimension is difficult for me to decide on too. Outwardly, you'd think I was a P; being late for things, being messy, but I think this is just from a lack of priority. I do usually like closure on decisions rather than leaving options open, but I can be a bit indecisive sometimes.
I’ll go through each function individually:
- I am very future oriented, definitely the most future oriented person I know.
- Most of the time I spend thinking about my future goals, events coming up, predicting things for the fun of it etc.
- Planned the main outline of my entire life out. I've heard it’s a bad thing to do that, but once I know the main things I want to do, I’ll be able to appreciate the smaller details and activities more.
- I am very much an ideas person. About the universe, people, art/music etc. I’m not sure if this correlates more with Ne though.
- See the big picture (This could be Ne too.)
- If there is something coming up in the future that I can’t escape and don’t want to do, I’ll worry about it a long time before the day itself. A college presentation is a classic example of this.
I’m unsure about Ne to be honest. Sometimes I think all my creative activities are a product of Ne, other times I think it’s probably Ni + Se. I don’t know.
Very doubtful I have much Si whatsoever to be honest. I look to the past for information about past events, but that’s it.
- I hold no priority in the past. I don’t care about it. Sometimes I’ll have the odd nostalgic moment, but that’s most likely because I don’t like the place I am in now.
There’s conflicting points on Se. It’s probably low, but a few things question that.
- Unfortunately, I’m never in the moment. And when I am, it’s boring anyway. Unless I'm playing piano.
- I enjoy listening to music, in the physical sense too. (Always tapping my foot, can sort of 'feel' the chord changes/melodies. Not a dancer though...)
- (On the above point) But when I’m composing music, it’s more of an intellectual pursuit than anything; trying to original, creative, producing unusual melodies.
- Good at improvising pieces on piano
- I enjoy creating in the visual arts, but only as a means to get concepts/ideas/thoughts out of my head. When I was young I used to draw aliens/robots/ things from my imagination and label it to show how it works.
- Forget to eat a lot and don’t care.
- Often insecure about my body because I am short.
- When I am under stress, I often go into the present moment.
I don’t know really about Ti. Most of my thoughts on different subjects remain in my head, and I do not tell people about them. I don’t know if this has anything to do with Ti though.
- I don’t think I put that much emphasis on logic and never have done.
- I often do have ‘flowcharts’ in my head. Often relating to the future and my choices. (‘If I do this, this will happen, and I shouldn’t do that because...)
- Te users supposedly are good at organising the external environment. I’m not. I think the main reason for this is a simply don’t care, and I don’t think it’s important enough for me to spend time doing it, unless it impedes progress.
- I don’t know if my logic is my own subjective or is more empirical.
- I enjoy making lists from time to time and clearly presenting ‘formal’ writing such as this in bullet point fashion.
I don’t about this either. I don’t know if I keep any tightly-held values. I don't think about right and wrong in a situation either.
This is another function I am unsure of. I have social anxiety, and am avoidant of social situations because of that, so it’s very likely it is suppressed outwardly, and obviously won’t be able to use it in those kinds of situations as much.
- I care what people think about me.
- I like collecting people’s opinions on things. I will look up people’s responses to a subject on the internet to see what the prevailing opinion is.
Also: could it be possible that for some people with social anxiety, that it is a result of overactive Fe?
Thanks for taking time to read this, and by all means ask the relevant question you need to.