User Tag List

First 123 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 23

  1. #11
    Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    What you say about Fe doesn't sound like a preferred function at all. Social anxiety is probably not necessarily Fe. In a "preferred" position, it could likely be more "mature" and confident.
    This does not match up with anything ive read on the theory. Fe dominants and auxiliaries, for example, can feel especially out of place in unfamiliar environments because they have not yet understood, (or have no prior information), of the social context they are placed in and what protocol those around them adhere to.

    This is even more noticeable in young Fe users who are unsure of how to act until they know all the information.

    Also from Lenore Thompson:

    Young EFJ's can be surprisingly awkward in social situations, particularly when compared with the more outgoing Extraverted Perceiver's. Until they know how to gauge people's expectations well enough, they're self-conscious and reluctant to take action.
    All that could easily cause social anxiety. Then of course there is personal experience, which is not as reliable, but given the lack of evidence for the theory, personal experience may as well play a part....in short im obviously big on Fe, but I feel socially anxious very often.

    Although I agree with what you said about Fi.

    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Bubble View Post
    And I wanted to know your type because ones that relate often have very similar functions.
    Oh I got that, which is why I said I was some kind of ExFJ.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

    Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

  2. #12
    ⒺⓉⒷ Eric B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    3,441

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    This does not match up with anything ive read on the theory. Fe dominants and auxiliaries, for example, can feel especially out of place in unfamiliar environments because they have not yet understood, (or have no prior information), of the social context they are placed in and what protocol those around them adhere to.

    This is even more noticeable in young Fe users who are unsure of how to act until they know all the information.

    All that could easily cause social anxiety. Then of course there is personal experience, which is not as reliable, but given the lack of evidence for the theory, personal experience may as well play a part....in short im obviously big on Fe, but I feel socially anxious very often.
    I was assuming the person is grown. Of course, when a child (literally "immature"), even the preferred functions will be immature. When they mature, they tend to connect and find environments where they are comfortable. The OP makes it sound more of a general situation ("avoidant of social situations", altogether), than either being young or an instance of an environment being unfamiliar.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

    Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

  3. #13
    Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    I was assuming the person is grown. Of course, when a child (literally "immature"), even the preferred functions will be immature. When they mature, they tend to connect and find environments where they are comfortable. The OP makes it sound more of a general situation ("avoidant of social situations", altogether), than either being young or an instance of an environment being unfamiliar.
    Ah I see. Yes in that case I understand your point.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

    Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

  4. #14
    Infinite Bubble
    Guest

    Default

    @jontherobot

    I'm doubtful of Si to be honest. Si-doms (at least stereotypically) are usually into customs, traditions etc, aren't they? I'm definitely not. Also, I'm not very good with details and not very down to earth. In fact it's when when I have to think about the 'real world' that I feel bad. I seem obviously an N, to me anyway. Unless I’m totally misunderstanding the functions.

    @Mane

    Huh, I did not realise that what I listed for Te was actually more like Ti. Maybe it's that I use after all then. Also, I’d be extremely surprised if I turned out an E too.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    Ni and Te you see to be the most confident in; all the others you start off mentioning "uncertainty". For Te, you mention not being into organizing the environment, but INTJ's are a bit less into that stuff than STJ's.
    The flowcharts and lists would basically be the external organization (it starts out in your head, but the main purpose seems, to be applied outward, with the "if I do this...". The functions are actually more like loops, accessing both the internal and external worlds, and the true orientation is determined by the starting/ending point). You seem to be much more sure of that than either Feeling function.
    This does make sense to me. Especially the whole starts off in your head, but is applied to the outside world. I don’t know if it’s relevant, but when I think of an idea I particularly like, I have to write it down somewhere or I’ll forget about it.

    What you say about Fe doesn't sound like a preferred function at all. Social anxiety is probably not necessarily Fe. In a "preferred" position, it would likely be more "mature" and confident.
    Fi can care about what others think too. Especially in a non-preferred position, where it's less mature than in a preferred position. The focus would be internal, yet the internal function is more universalistic, which also connects with everyone else. The difference is that the extraverted function focuses on the others more directly.
    You might be right, but for what it's worth I've found out I'm good at working out peoples expressions and what they're thinking/feeling from it. Obviously I can't be sure unless I asked them.

    Another thing is, I understand how social situations work, but I will appear inept because of SA. I'm not sure on this but I've read some thinkers (introverted, I suppose) can't understand why people do the things they do, but I've always understood why and their motivations.

    If it would help, I'm 18, so all my functions obviously won't be fully developed yet. I was always quiet but became more shy towards around the age of 12 and it's slowly built up to what it is now. Maybe it's more down to personal experience than functions.

  5. #15
    WALMART
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Bubble View Post
    @jontherobot

    I'm doubtful of Si to be honest. Si-doms (at least stereotypically) are usually into customs, traditions etc, aren't they? I'm definitely not. Also, I'm not very good with details and not very down to earth. In fact it's when when I have to think about the 'real world' that I feel bad. I seem obviously an N, to me anyway. Unless I’m totally misunderstanding the functions.

    Stereotypical indeed - if you did want to use the stereotype, it is equally valid for Ni users. Both are fond of logical or emotional attachment to physical and ethereal systems. I believe the word I would choose is 'loyal', and I think they are so because they are seemingly well-versed in the things they choose to place stock in.


    One way I've discerned the two apart is the acceptance of relevant facts. I think Si users are better at 'trimming the fat' than Ni users are, or at least much more suspicious about what they choose to allow into the framework. Given opportunity, they will probably resort to factual expos of information, like Google or something. I think Ni users are much more suspect to letting information float in space until it coincidentally makes sense somehow, likely through casual observation - that is to say Ni users are like worrywarts.


    I haven't really gotten into your type specifically yet. Been busy. I'll try to get around to writing something hopefully fun to read sometime soon.

  6. #16
    Tier 1 Member LunaLuminosity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    2,484

    Default

    INTJ or maybe INFJ..... obvious Ni>Se thing going on.

  7. #17
    Infinite Bubble
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    Stereotypical indeed - if you did want to use the stereotype, it is equally valid for Ni users. Both are fond of logical or emotional attachment to physical and ethereal systems. I believe the word I would choose is 'loyal', and I think they are so because they are seemingly well-versed in the things they choose to place stock in.


    One way I've discerned the two apart is the acceptance of relevant facts. I think Si users are better at 'trimming the fat' than Ni users are, or at least much more suspicious about what they choose to allow into the framework. Given opportunity, they will probably resort to factual expos of information, like Google or something. I think Ni users are much more suspect to letting information float in space until it coincidentally makes sense somehow, likely through casual observation - that is to say Ni users are like worrywarts.


    I haven't really gotten into your type specifically yet. Been busy. I'll try to get around to writing something hopefully fun to read sometime soon.
    Woops, bit late, but about accepting facts, I'm unsure which applies to me TBH. I'd say I'm mostly accepting until it's proven wrong than rejecting until I've found the truth. I worry massively about things as well if that's relevant.

    I'd be stunned if I'm an ISxJ. I'd go through every temperament before reaching SJ's really. They're almost like the opposite to me (from what I gather).

    Quote Originally Posted by LunaLuminosity View Post
    INTJ or maybe INFJ..... obvious Ni>Se thing going on.
    That's what I thought, it's just the case of Te vs Fe I suppose.

  8. #18
    Member roastingmallows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx
    Socionics
    IEE Ne
    Posts
    81

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Bubble View Post
    Fe

    This is another function I am unsure of. I have social anxiety, and am avoidant of social situations because of that, so it’s very likely it is suppressed outwardly, and obviously won’t be able to use it in those kinds of situations as much.

    • I care what people think about me.
    • I like collecting people’s opinions on things. I will look up people’s responses to a subject on the internet to see what the prevailing opinion is.


    Also: could it be possible that for some people with social anxiety, that it is a result of overactive Fe?
    I think maybe INTP. In my experience, one of the best ways to figure out your dominant function if to figure out your inferior function. Your inferior function is probably Fe, though I can see how people might think INFJ because you care about what others think and have social anxiety, but that is probably just inferior Fe.

    I could also believe INTJ, but I think you are probably using Ti, not Te.

    I am also of the opinion that you may be confusing Ni for Ne, though the N functions are the most confusing to me.

  9. #19
    Infinite Bubble
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roastingmallows View Post
    I think maybe INTP. In my experience, one of the best ways to figure out your dominant function if to figure out your inferior function. Your inferior function is probably Fe, though I can see how people might think INFJ because you care about what others think and have social anxiety, but that is probably just inferior Fe.

    I could also believe INTJ, but I think you are probably using Ti, not Te.

    I am also of the opinion that you may be confusing Ni for Ne, though the N functions are the most confusing to me.
    I could be, although I was under the impression that someone with Inferior Fe would be somewhat more oblivious to it... isn't it supposed to be unconscious whereas its fairly conscious with me. Thought they wouldn't care too much about other people's thoughts, in general.

    Maybe it's my own ignorance to what the functions actually do and difficulty in applying it to my own behavior that is causing the difficulty.

  10. #20
    Member roastingmallows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx
    Socionics
    IEE Ne
    Posts
    81

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Bubble View Post
    I could be, although I was under the impression that someone with Inferior Fe would be somewhat more oblivious to it... isn't it supposed to be unconscious whereas its fairly conscious with me. Thought they wouldn't care too much about other people's thoughts, in general.

    Maybe it's my own ignorance to what the functions actually do and difficulty in applying it to my own behavior that is causing the difficulty.
    I wouldn't say that. Everyone uses all four (T, F, S, N) in different orders, but they're definitely all there, and to some extent, both conscious and accesible. If you have Fe as your inferior function, it could totally make you aware of other people, but not in a GOOD way. Usually, Fe doms/aux enjoy the company of others, and are generally comfortable being around them. An Fe inferior on the other hand, would often be anxious around other people and not want to be around them. Other people are not your main concern, but sometimes you can be painfully aware of other peoples' eyes on you and it makes you want to just...stay out of the way. My dad is an ISTP, Fe inferior. He doesn't really care about other people, but he hates having his picture taken and he's afraid to initiate conversation with strangers, not that he really WANTS to though. He avoids overt displays of emotion, and in general does not care what others think, though he hates to be put on the spot or made an ass of. His Fe is so underused that he really has no idea how to behave in social settings.

Similar Threads

  1. Help with my type... I'm so lost with this thing...
    By Alya in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 08-12-2015, 02:17 PM
  2. Help with my type
    By Jhudd in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-04-2014, 02:34 AM
  3. I'll give this a second try...Please help with my type
    By EndlessNameless in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-13-2013, 06:44 PM
  4. Help with my type
    By jryn1993 in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-05-2013, 11:43 PM
  5. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-21-2010, 03:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO