User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 15

  1. #1
    Gone Aesthete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/sx
    Posts
    385

    Default The Way I "Reason"

    I have a feeling this should belong in this section.

    Quite a few times, it so happens that I can't figure something out. No matter how much time I spend reflecting on it, nothing comes. Then, I close my eyes and relax, and my brain does its own little thing: it throws all the information in a problem "out there", gathers a bunch of it together, and then reaches a conclusion without me even knowing the process. I remember this situation a few years ago in a math class in which I had to find something - it might have been a side length or something of that sort - and I did a slight miscalculation somewhere (which I couldn't spot). I went over to the teacher and began to explain what I did; I was focused on two things: (1), talking to the teacher, and (2), the details of the triangle. It was checking every detail of the triangle to find a solution, and then, BAM!, it figured out the answer, without me even having had to reason it out.

    Or another situation that happened two weeks ago (these happen much more often, but these two examples are the ones I remember): I was in my German class, and I was asked to figure out if a noun in a certain sentence is accusative or dative. I didn't pause to think for a second and reflect on it: I singled out (not consciously) every single element of the sentence and then everything was put together to figure out what the case was. I didn't think about it in the fashion of "Well, so-and-so in this sentence is so-and-so, so thus it must be X", but I figured out the answer without even having to reason about it.

    I'm curious as to what function - or combination of functions - does this. Does anybody have a clue?
    Great men are like eagles, and build their nest on some lofty solitude.

    Schopenhauer

  2. #2
    WALMART
    Guest

    Default

    Either Si or Ni. Depends on how the conclusions were drawn, methinks.

  3. #3
    Gone Aesthete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/sx
    Posts
    385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    Either Si or Ni. Depends on how the conclusions were drawn, methinks.
    What do you mean by "how they were drawn"?
    Great men are like eagles, and build their nest on some lofty solitude.

    Schopenhauer

  4. #4
    WALMART
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aesthete View Post
    What do you mean by "how they were drawn"?

    I don't know how to differentiate the two proper, there are too many variables at play to give any concise definition. I could talk about Ne/Si working in tandem, or Ni not being able to differentiate until more Se is added, yadda yadda... but I can say this:


    The mind is naturally parallelistic. You don't have to 'think out' things once proper understanding is formed, because the nodes responsible for recall can be simultaneously primed.

  5. #5
    Gone Aesthete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/sx
    Posts
    385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    I don't know how to differentiate the two proper, there are too many variables at play to give any concise definition. I could talk about Ne/Si working in tandem, or Ni not being able to differentiate until more Se is added, yadda yadda... but I can say this:


    The mind is naturally parallelistic. You don't have to 'think out' things once proper understanding is formed, because the nodes responsible for recall can be simultaneously primed.
    Alright, thank you. I'm on a quest, so to speak, to figure out my type - not that once I'm lying on good ground it will really matter as life will go on as usual, but I want to just set the category already. I'm quite certain I'm INTJ, but another member who has been studying MBTI for quite a bit more says I'm INTP. As I don't yet fully understand everything about the functions and am not in any way a psychologist, I thought that this thread might shed the light on if I'm INTJ or INTP; in the end, both are still possible.
    Great men are like eagles, and build their nest on some lofty solitude.

    Schopenhauer

  6. #6
    WALMART
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aesthete View Post
    Alright, thank you. I'm on a quest, so to speak, to figure out my type - not that once I'm lying on good ground it will really matter as life will go on as usual, but I want to just set the category already. I'm quite certain I'm INTJ, but another member who has been studying MBTI for quite a bit more says I'm INTP. As I don't yet fully understand everything about the functions and am not in any way a psychologist, I thought that this thread might shed the light on if I'm INTJ or INTP; in the end, both are still possible.

    Ah, I see. Yeah, from what I saw, I cannot differentiate anything


    My first hunch was Ne/Si on your first example, though:

    "I went over to the teacher and began to explain what I did; I was focused on two things: (1), talking to the teacher, and (2), the details of the triangle. It was checking every detail of the triangle to find a solution, and then, BAM!, it figured out the answer, without me even having had to reason it out."


    My line of thinking is that you were reprocessing the problem again, as if it were the first time, gearing up for a proper explanation of the problem to your teacher, when you noticed where your original line of thinking was wrong. I guess it could be any combination of perceiving/judging functions, though. Idk.

  7. #7
    Gone Aesthete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/sx
    Posts
    385

    Default

    Alright. Thank you for the input. The march to the mountain of knowledge and discovery continues...
    Great men are like eagles, and build their nest on some lofty solitude.

    Schopenhauer

  8. #8
    Senior Member INTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx
    Posts
    7,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aesthete View Post
    Alright, thank you. I'm on a quest, so to speak, to figure out my type - not that once I'm lying on good ground it will really matter as life will go on as usual, but I want to just set the category already. I'm quite certain I'm INTJ, but another member who has been studying MBTI for quite a bit more says I'm INTP. As I don't yet fully understand everything about the functions and am not in any way a psychologist, I thought that this thread might shed the light on if I'm INTJ or INTP; in the end, both are still possible.
    actually when i read your post, i thought that you might be mistyped as an INTP and really an INTJ because that sounds like Ni, but could be Ne aswell, who knows.. the thing is that everyone has intuitions and you dont say how typical that sort of intuitions are to you, neither do you say that if this is your typical way of "reasoning", how blindly you trust those intuitions(if you see them as absolutes or just some raw material to abstract from logically) or if this is something that happens only at times and your normal way is more like "if Y = 0.5X and D = 3Y, then X = ~0.666D", or you know logic.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

    Read

  9. #9
    Gone Aesthete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/sx
    Posts
    385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    actually when i read your post, i thought that you might be mistyped as an INTP and really an INTJ because that sounds like Ni, but could be Ne aswell, who knows.. the thing is that everyone has intuitions and you dont say how typical that sort of intuitions are to you, neither do you say that if this is your typical way of "reasoning" or if this is something that happens only at times and your normal way is more like "if Y = 0.5X and D = 3Y, then X = ~0.666D", or you know logic.
    It happens quite a lot that I do this. I probably wouldn't be able to get by in life without this as most of the time I'm not paying attention to the topic on hand and, if I'm asked to comment or answer a question, I end up doing this most of the time so I can continue with what was going on in my head before instead of concentrating on a new topic.
    Great men are like eagles, and build their nest on some lofty solitude.

    Schopenhauer

  10. #10
    Gone Aesthete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/sx
    Posts
    385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    My line of thinking is that you were reprocessing the problem again, as if it were the first time, gearing up for a proper explanation of the problem to your teacher, when you noticed where your original line of thinking was wrong. I guess it could be any combination of perceiving/judging functions, though. Idk.
    Haha, well, after twenty minutes of reflecting on the question, I figured I might as well explain to him that it wasn't working and ask him for the answer (and then I would've been able to work backwards and figure out what to do and where I went wrong).
    Great men are like eagles, and build their nest on some lofty solitude.

    Schopenhauer

Similar Threads

  1. The Random Movie Quote Thread
    By asynartetic in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 220
    Last Post: 12-02-2017, 10:31 PM
  2. [INTJ] Why INTJ women are the way they are?
    By Virtual ghost in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 08-04-2008, 11:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO