• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Way I "Reason"

Aesthete

Gone
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have a feeling this should belong in this section.

Quite a few times, it so happens that I can't figure something out. No matter how much time I spend reflecting on it, nothing comes. Then, I close my eyes and relax, and my brain does its own little thing: it throws all the information in a problem "out there", gathers a bunch of it together, and then reaches a conclusion without me even knowing the process. I remember this situation a few years ago in a math class in which I had to find something - it might have been a side length or something of that sort - and I did a slight miscalculation somewhere (which I couldn't spot). I went over to the teacher and began to explain what I did; I was focused on two things: (1), talking to the teacher, and (2), the details of the triangle. It was checking every detail of the triangle to find a solution, and then, BAM!, it figured out the answer, without me even having had to reason it out.

Or another situation that happened two weeks ago (these happen much more often, but these two examples are the ones I remember): I was in my German class, and I was asked to figure out if a noun in a certain sentence is accusative or dative. I didn't pause to think for a second and reflect on it: I singled out (not consciously) every single element of the sentence and then everything was put together to figure out what the case was. I didn't think about it in the fashion of "Well, so-and-so in this sentence is so-and-so, so thus it must be X", but I figured out the answer without even having to reason about it.

I'm curious as to what function - or combination of functions - does this. Does anybody have a clue?

W

WALMART

Either Si or Ni. Depends on how the conclusions were drawn, methinks.

W

WALMART

What do you mean by "how they were drawn"?

I don't know how to differentiate the two proper, there are too many variables at play to give any concise definition. I could talk about Ne/Si working in tandem, or Ni not being able to differentiate until more Se is added, yadda yadda... but I can say this:

The mind is naturally parallelistic. You don't have to 'think out' things once proper understanding is formed, because the nodes responsible for recall can be simultaneously primed.

Aesthete

Gone
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't know how to differentiate the two proper, there are too many variables at play to give any concise definition. I could talk about Ne/Si working in tandem, or Ni not being able to differentiate until more Se is added, yadda yadda... but I can say this:

The mind is naturally parallelistic. You don't have to 'think out' things once proper understanding is formed, because the nodes responsible for recall can be simultaneously primed.

Alright, thank you. I'm on a quest, so to speak, to figure out my type - not that once I'm lying on good ground it will really matter as life will go on as usual, but I want to just set the category already. I'm quite certain I'm INTJ, but another member who has been studying MBTI for quite a bit more says I'm INTP. As I don't yet fully understand everything about the functions and am not in any way a psychologist, I thought that this thread might shed the light on if I'm INTJ or INTP; in the end, both are still possible.:D

W

WALMART

Alright, thank you. I'm on a quest, so to speak, to figure out my type - not that once I'm lying on good ground it will really matter as life will go on as usual, but I want to just set the category already. I'm quite certain I'm INTJ, but another member who has been studying MBTI for quite a bit more says I'm INTP. As I don't yet fully understand everything about the functions and am not in any way a psychologist, I thought that this thread might shed the light on if I'm INTJ or INTP; in the end, both are still possible.:D

Ah, I see. Yeah, from what I saw, I cannot differentiate anything :(

My first hunch was Ne/Si on your first example, though:

"I went over to the teacher and began to explain what I did; I was focused on two things: (1), talking to the teacher, and (2), the details of the triangle. It was checking every detail of the triangle to find a solution, and then, BAM!, it figured out the answer, without me even having had to reason it out."

My line of thinking is that you were reprocessing the problem again, as if it were the first time, gearing up for a proper explanation of the problem to your teacher, when you noticed where your original line of thinking was wrong. I guess it could be any combination of perceiving/judging functions, though. Idk.

Aesthete

Gone
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Alright. Thank you for the input. The march to the mountain of knowledge and discovery continues...

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx

actually when i read your post, i thought that you might be mistyped as an INTP and really an INTJ because that sounds like Ni, but could be Ne aswell, who knows.. the thing is that everyone has intuitions and you dont say how typical that sort of intuitions are to you, neither do you say that if this is your typical way of "reasoning", how blindly you trust those intuitions(if you see them as absolutes or just some raw material to abstract from logically) or if this is something that happens only at times and your normal way is more like "if Y = 0.5X and D = 3Y, then X = ~0.666D", or you know logic.

Aesthete

Gone
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
actually when i read your post, i thought that you might be mistyped as an INTP and really an INTJ because that sounds like Ni, but could be Ne aswell, who knows.. the thing is that everyone has intuitions and you dont say how typical that sort of intuitions are to you, neither do you say that if this is your typical way of "reasoning" or if this is something that happens only at times and your normal way is more like "if Y = 0.5X and D = 3Y, then X = ~0.666D", or you know logic.

It happens quite a lot that I do this. I probably wouldn't be able to get by in life without this as most of the time I'm not paying attention to the topic on hand and, if I'm asked to comment or answer a question, I end up doing this most of the time so I can continue with what was going on in my head before instead of concentrating on a new topic.:D

Aesthete

Gone
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My line of thinking is that you were reprocessing the problem again, as if it were the first time, gearing up for a proper explanation of the problem to your teacher, when you noticed where your original line of thinking was wrong. I guess it could be any combination of perceiving/judging functions, though. Idk.

Haha, well, after twenty minutes of reflecting on the question, I figured I might as well explain to him that it wasn't working and ask him for the answer (and then I would've been able to work backwards and figure out what to do and where I went wrong).

W

WALMART

Haha, well, after twenty minutes of reflecting on the question, I figured I might as well explain to him that it wasn't working and ask him for the answer (and then I would've been able to work backwards and figure out what to do and where I went wrong).

Ah, more evidence for my thinking you are an Ne/Si user ;)

Aesthete

Gone
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
actually when i read your post, i thought that you might be mistyped as an INTP and really an INTJ because that sounds like Ni, but could be Ne aswell, who knows.. the thing is that everyone has intuitions and you dont say how typical that sort of intuitions are to you, neither do you say that if this is your typical way of "reasoning", how blindly you trust those intuitions(if you see them as absolutes or just some raw material to abstract from logically) or if this is something that happens only at times and your normal way is more like "if Y = 0.5X and D = 3Y, then X = ~0.666D", or you know logic.

By the way, is this process not familiar to you as an INTP?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
By the way, is this process not familiar to you as an INTP?

"this process" = what i said about x, y and d or what you said @op?