• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INTP or INTJ?

tsumatachi_san

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hello. I'm wondering if I'm an INTP or INTJ, as I've been in doubt about this for quite a long time (mostly thanks to bad stereotypes). I've looked into the cognitive functions and got rid of a bunch of them (i.e. I'm certain I don't use Si or Se dominantly, nor Fi or Fe).

I'll try posting some information about me that might be useful (if not, tell me what would be, please) :
-I'm very driven, almost perfectionistic - if something doesn't live up to my standards, I want to alter it (including myself - for example, if I don't do so well in a test, I'll throw myself into studying for the next one as well as reviewing everything I did wrong).

-I tend to be oblivious to my environment to a large extent - I didn't notice the electricity had cut off in my house until my laptop battery sign popped up saying it was discharging, then I realised I was sat in darkness. I also usually make two or three trips back to my room before I leave, due to either forgetting things or being convinced I've forgotten something. This has been commented on by a lot of people (my mum calls it 'being artistic' and I respond with calling it 'being stupid').

-I'm not great with making conversation with people I don't know - I'm not good at small talk, so I tend to not say anything for quite a while, until I get where I stand with them. I've learnt to nod and smile at what people say in order to encourage them to talk to me. I don't see myself as having many friends (maybe one or two), but lots of people consider me a friend to them (which I can't understand).

-I'm slightly neurotic in the way I feel the need to double- or triple-check things - I never trust myself to pack my back properly, so I check it several times before leaving, and I make sure my work's in order (even if that order is in piles of paper on the floor). I also take very good care of my possessions, unlike a lot of people I know, who will stuff books into their bags, not caring they get bent out of shape.

-I'm usually very much 'to the point' in writing and conversations - I'm an under-writer for essays (well, used to be, as I've almost worked myself out of doing that) and I've been told I'm good at condensing big points into a couple of words.

-My hobbies are reading, writing (mostly science-fiction), drawing occasionally, watching films and listening to music, but I'm interested in the link between biology and psychology to an almost obsessive level (when I was twelve or so, I used to spend hours researching mental illnesses - which my mum thought was unhealthy behaviour).

-I can be very obsessive about things and used to re-read books and/or listen to one song repeatedly (this may be OCD, as it runs in my family).

-I'm quite good at reading people, so if they act up, I can explain to them why they're acting the way they are (I know it's annoying to do so). I also spend time analysing people and how they react to certain things.

-I'm not too concerned about getting into debates with people - I don't like conflict much, but if the topic's interesting, I don't mind.

Hmm, I'm not sure what else to put. Please feel free to ask questions if it'll help.

Thanks in advance for replies!

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I remember I spent pretty much my whole time on this forum till the past month or so believing I was Ti dominant, either one, though after a little reflection on how my system of logic works, as well as my rather narcissistic and compulsive power tendencies for complete control, it became apparent that they did not fall in line with ISTP or INTP behavior or reasoning.

Anyway, based on what I understand, INTP logic works in static categories and precise definitions, while INTJ logic works in a dynamic cause and effect system, where one transformation leads to another in an ever evolving contingency sequence. Take Einstein's relativity of unmoving reference points versus Newtononain mechanics of perpetual motion, for instance.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You sound like an INTJ to me though many of those things could be said about an INTJ or an INTP

Il Morto Che Parla

MBTI Type
xxTP
Hello. I'm wondering if I'm an INTP or INTJ, as I've been in doubt about this for quite a long time (mostly thanks to bad stereotypes). I've looked into the cognitive functions and got rid of a bunch of them (i.e. I'm certain I don't use Si or Se dominantly, nor Fi or Fe).

I'll try posting some information about me that might be useful (if not, tell me what would be, please) :
-I'm very driven, almost perfectionistic - if something doesn't live up to my standards, I want to alter it (including myself - for example, if I don't do so well in a test, I'll throw myself into studying for the next one as well as reviewing everything I did wrong).

-I tend to be oblivious to my environment to a large extent - I didn't notice the electricity had cut off in my house until my laptop battery sign popped up saying it was discharging, then I realised I was sat in darkness. I also usually make two or three trips back to my room before I leave, due to either forgetting things or being convinced I've forgotten something. This has been commented on by a lot of people (my mum calls it 'being artistic' and I respond with calling it 'being stupid').

-I'm not great with making conversation with people I don't know - I'm not good at small talk, so I tend to not say anything for quite a while, until I get where I stand with them. I've learnt to nod and smile at what people say in order to encourage them to talk to me. I don't see myself as having many friends (maybe one or two), but lots of people consider me a friend to them (which I can't understand).

-I'm slightly neurotic in the way I feel the need to double- or triple-check things - I never trust myself to pack my back properly, so I check it several times before leaving, and I make sure my work's in order (even if that order is in piles of paper on the floor). I also take very good care of my possessions, unlike a lot of people I know, who will stuff books into their bags, not caring they get bent out of shape.

-I'm usually very much 'to the point' in writing and conversations - I'm an under-writer for essays (well, used to be, as I've almost worked myself out of doing that) and I've been told I'm good at condensing big points into a couple of words.

-My hobbies are reading, writing (mostly science-fiction), drawing occasionally, watching films and listening to music, but I'm interested in the link between biology and psychology to an almost obsessive level (when I was twelve or so, I used to spend hours researching mental illnesses - which my mum thought was unhealthy behaviour).

-I can be very obsessive about things and used to re-read books and/or listen to one song repeatedly (this may be OCD, as it runs in my family).

-I'm quite good at reading people, so if they act up, I can explain to them why they're acting the way they are (I know it's annoying to do so). I also spend time analysing people and how they react to certain things.

-I'm not too concerned about getting into debates with people - I don't like conflict much, but if the topic's interesting, I don't mind.

Hmm, I'm not sure what else to put. Please feel free to ask questions if it'll help.

Thanks in advance for replies!

You use a lot of qualifying words etc., your style seems INTP to me.

tsumatachi_san

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Thanks for the replies!
I remember I spent pretty much my whole time on this forum till the past month or so believing I was Ti dominant, either one, though after a little reflection on how my system of logic works, as well as my rather narcissistic and compulsive power tendencies for complete control, it became apparent that they did not fall in line with ISTP or INTP behavior or reasoning.

Anyway, based on what I understand, INTP logic works in static categories and precise definitions, while INTJ logic works in a dynamic cause and effect system, where one transformation leads to another in an ever evolving contingency sequence. Take Einstein's relativity of unmoving reference points versus Newtononain mechanics of perpetual motion, for instance.
Would you mind elaborating on the bolded points? I'm curious as to what you mean by them.

You sound like an INTJ to me though many of those things could be said about an INTJ or an INTP
Is there anything in particular that points more at INTJ than INTP?

You use a lot of qualifying words etc., your style seems INTP to me.
Hmm, I don't know about typing people based on writing styles - sure, there can be some overlap, but there are several variables, including upbringing, that can lead to this style being incorrect.

Il Morto Che Parla

MBTI Type
xxTP
Hmm, I don't know about typing people based on writing styles - sure, there can be some overlap, but there are several variables, including upbringing, that can lead to this style being incorrect.

I don't know about typing people at all based on an online interaction - but you asked for it.:D

I read your post and you didn't give many P/J indications, so I can only go on the overall "style". IMO this is better than specific things people say about themselves, because there it is easier to consciously control the information which is given, whereas the style is what it "shown" rather than "told".

An INTJ may be introverted and given to fantasy/speculation, but they are still ultimately an organizer in their relation to the external world, they will be ordered and their actions efficient and with a clear goal, not chaotic. An xxxP can be organized for one or other specific project, work-related or in the case of some other commitment, but their general attitude to life will be to speculate about different options and then to see what happens.

I think part of the issue is that society favours J-ness, i.e. we know that to survive we need to be organized etc., so we learn these skills. However the question is to think of your natural inclinations. OCD behaviours would not mean J-ness, as this is about organization and efficiency, not obsession with a rigid set of habits or way of thinking while the rest of ones personal space and life remains disorganized (which Ti-Si loop can lead to in case of an INTP, or Ti-Ni loop in case of an ISTP).

Just one thing: no confirmed J I know, would have ever speculated about being a P, but many confirmed Perceivers I know of have speculated about being judgers.

Finally, I recommend this psot on why many people mistype as INTJ (there have been many, but this one helped me a lot):

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29383&p=1993072&viewfull=1#post1993072

tsumatachi_san

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't know about typing people at all based on an online interaction - but you asked for it.:D

I read your post and you didn't give many P/J indications, so I can only go on the overall "style". IMO this is better than specific things people say about themselves, because there it is easier to consciously control the information which is given, whereas the style is what it "shown" rather than "told".

An INTJ may be introverted and given to fantasy/speculation, but they are still ultimately an organizer in their relation to the external world, they will be ordered and their actions efficient and with a clear goal, not chaotic. An xxxP can be organized for one or other specific project, work-related or in the case of some other commitment, but their general attitude to life will be to speculate about different options and then to see what happens.

I think part of the issue is that society favours J-ness, i.e. we know that to survive we need to be organized etc., so we learn these skills. However the question is to think of your natural inclinations. OCD behaviours would not mean J-ness, as this is about organization and efficiency, not obsession with a rigid set of habits or way of thinking while the rest of ones personal space and life remains disorganized (which Ti-Si loop can lead to in case of an INTP, or Ti-Ni loop in case of an ISTP).

Just one thing: no confirmed J I know, would have ever speculated about being a P, but many confirmed Perceivers I know of have speculated about being judgers.

Finally, I recommend this psot on why many people mistype as INTJ (there have been many, but this one helped me a lot):

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29383&p=1993072&viewfull=1#post1993072
Your first point is valid :) Thanks for trying, though.

Do you mean things like planning for the future, and ahead in general? Since I was very young, I've always had a plan for what I want to do and how to achieve that goal (although the goal has changed a little over the years, from Vet to Librarian to translator/teacher). It was often commented on how I seemed a lot more sure of my own mind than most children. I do have an order for my external environment, but it's very specific to me and pretty much no one else can use it - I have piles of paper on the floor, but each is in categories and so I can find anything I need (although vital stuff is kept on my desk). It's not traditional organisation with filing cabinets etc.

Hm, I was initially typed as an INFJ when I started with the MBTI, however I was confident something wasn't quite right, so I looked into it a lot and made some typing threads and people said there was no way I could be an INTJ because (and I quote) I "write like a Feeler", which, of course, I took with more than a grain of salt, but I felt there was enough general consensus to seriously consider INTP as a type (I was briefly under INFP, but I knew that was wrong). I've never really fully connected with INFP or INFJ, but I see almost equal validity for INTP and INTJ, which, of course, isn't possible within the realms of this theory. Back when I initially decided I was a mistyped INFJ I was quite sure I was an INTJ, but the backlash against that was surprising.

That post was quite helpful, thanks. The funny thing I find is that I'm very able to give a good run-down of what each function is like, but I can't put them together for myself (I can when attempting to type others). I think there are so many stereotypes around, it's difficult to find any good overall descriptions (especially as there are so many variations of each type around).

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I see both of these tendencies, especially the latter.

I see lots of people who are just simply nerdy (shy, essentially lives online, enjoys intellectual stuff) will type as INTJ and INTP. There is some glamor to the types (all the various celebrity types, which can spark some very silly arguments), but it's really just that the stereotypes match their self image.

I see INTJs occasionally mistyping as INTPs, because they don't feel like they have the orderliness of a J.
I see ISTJs occasionally mistyping as INTJs, because they're intellectual and rather smart.
I see INFJs occasionally mistyping as INTJs, because (as CF mentioned) they've developed a hard, cynical edge.
I see ISTPs occasionally mistyping as INTJs, because they're more practical than INTPs.

I usually don't think it's because of the "coolness factor", though. Just an overall misconception of what the type means. If one thinks of type in a "result-oriented" way, then one is one's type because one fits the stereotype. If one thinks of type in a process-oriented way (as I do), then one is one's type because of how one thinks and processes information and ideas.

The words I bolded in your quote Il Morto are in disagreement with the words I bolded in uumlau's quote.

Still though, I do agree that as a generalization INTJs are more confident about their type than INTPs, though I would not necessarily agree about this being a universally applicable standard of measurement, at least not in all scenarios.

Would you mind elaborating on the bolded points? I'm curious as to what you mean by them.

To spell it out for you, INTJs tend to be more self assured than INTPs, hence the narcissism, and INTJs also tend to be more ordered (not organized) than INTPs, hence the compulsions, and finally, INTJs tend to be more driven towards the idea of accomplishing ultimate mastery upon the self and the world alike in masterminded schemes of maximizing achievement than INTPs, hence the power of complete control.

Now as far as the second point goes, it is simply the TiNe axis versus the NiTe axis, the former being more about making connections between various frameworks and classications as well as finding leverage points to balance everything out into a single and significant whole, while the latter is more about following a straight line of reasoning of what implications logically follow from what in a chain moving from A which leads to B following from C meaning development D could conceive E and so forth. I think the biggest point of all to make is that TiNe is more in line with what is called Dedective reasoning, while NiTe is more in line with what is called Inductive reasoning, the former being more about absolutes like true and false, while the latter is more about about possibilities like what could be.

In conclusion, I am humbly acknowledging that my understanding of Typology as well as the rules of logic is rather shallow, so don't take my points too seriously, and if any of it contradicts your own opinions as well as the empirical evidence on any of these subjects, please don't hesitate to correct those mistakes. All criticisms and any further input on the information I have presented above would also be greatly appreciated.

Il Morto Che Parla

MBTI Type
xxTP
[MENTION=15371]RaptorWizard[/MENTION]

I hadn't noticed that. It's the one part I disagree with then from that post, as I have known a fair few INTJ's* and they are definitely very much more orderly than an NP! :D

(yes this is possible, due to niche professional work and being involved in election campaigns, in areas where INTJ's, if not abound, can undoubtedly be found)!

tsumatachi_san

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Sorry for the awful formatting, but I'm going to write my comments in bold for speed.

The words I bolded in your quote Il Morto are in disagreement with the words I bolded in uumlau's quote.

Still though, I do agree that as a generalization INTJs are more confident about their type than INTPs, though I would not necessarily agree about this being a universally applicable standard of measurement, at least not in all scenarios.
I can understand this. I have seen many INTJs asking about their types over on Personality Cafe, though. I think it depends a lot on how old the individual is, as younger people are more likely to be in doubt. I'm 20, so that could be a factor.

To spell it out for you, INTJs tend to be more self assured than INTPs, hence the narcissism, and INTJs also tend to be more ordered (not organized) than INTPs, hence the compulsions, and finally, INTJs tend to be more driven towards the idea of accomplishing ultimate mastery upon the self and the world alike in masterminded schemes of maximizing achievement than INTPs, hence the power of complete control.
So, INTJs are concerned with order which, to me, implies (in basic terms) knowing what's going on - i.e. making sure they know when deadlines are/when their appointment is/where they put their book etc. This is different from the categorising of the INTP, I suppose, in that it focuses on external objects (appointments etc. rather than the personal system of placing things in certain categories based on where they 'should go'). Is that correct? And INTPs are more likely to hop from one subject to the other, whereas INTJs are more likely to stick with one and do it to death?

Now as far as the second point goes, it is simply the TiNe axis versus the NiTe axis, the former being more about making connections between various frameworks and classications as well as finding leverage points to balance everything out into a single and significant whole, while the latter is more about following a straight line of reasoning of what implications logically follow from what in a chain moving from A which leads to B following from C meaning development D could conceive E and so forth. I think the biggest point of all to make is that TiNe is more in line with what is called Dedective reasoning, while NiTe is more in line with what is called Inductive reasoning, the former being more about absolutes like true and false, while the latter is more about about possibilities like what could be.
So INTJs are more likely to just get things done, while INTPs may prefer to go along at a slower pace, and INTJs are likely to reach a conclusion quickly, whereas INTPs will take longer about it (due to INTJs allowing for an incorrect conclusion and INTPs preferring to be definite?).

In conclusion, I am humbly acknowledging that my understanding of Typology as well as the rules of logic is rather shallow, so don't take my points too seriously, and if any of it contradicts your own opinions as well as the empirical evidence on any of these subjects, please don't hesitate to correct those mistakes. All criticisms and any further input on the information I have presented above would also be greatly appreciated.
No, I appreciate any input. It helps me think things out.

[MENTION=15371]RaptorWizard[/MENTION]

I hadn't noticed that. It's the one part I disagree with then from that post, as I have known a fair few INTJ's* and they are definitely very much more orderly than an NP! :D
I've noticed there's a lot of talk about INTJs being neat and tidy - is this actually the case, or is it just more probable because of their need for an ordering system? I tend to be halfway between - being able to find everything I need, but not putting in order in a conventional way (i.e. because I use certain books often, I'll keep them on the arm of the sofa where I usually sit, whereas my mum thinks I should keep them on the shelf).
(yes this is possible, due to niche professional work and being involved in election campaigns, in areas where INTJ's, if not abound, can undoubtedly be found)!
Thanks again for the input :) It's very helpful and interesting.

Il Morto Che Parla

MBTI Type
xxTP
Sorry for the awful formatting, but I'm going to write my comments in bold for speed.

Thanks again for the input :) It's very helpful and interesting.

No probs. :)

Having your "own" logic sounds like Ti to my understanding. I have my "own" systems that I can understand, it isn't as if I live my life never being able to find things.

Te is about external logic, placing a set of objective criteria for all to see, building processes and "bullet points" which everyone can follow.

A Ti and Te approach can both seem roganized if the person is left to their own devices. The, the main difference you will see is in "tidyness", but both can be efficient, and the Ti user can be as "organized" int heir own way as the Te user.

The difference is very noticeable in the workplace. Te seeks to set in place processes for everyone to follow, and has a set of logic which everyone can clearly see and understand. Ti does not, other people won't straight away understand your system (though the results may be effective).

Another question: what is your attitude to deadlines?

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ti to me in a workplace is.."I am trying to figure this out and continually improve until I reach what works(not sure if "works" is more Se specific, while Ne would need another word) best" while Te in a workplace is "lets talk, discuss, come to an agreement of best practices" Te is about "We" where Ti is about "I", Te can come across as very needy when it comes to this whole "We" thing. Ti will come across as "not a group player" though we are still working for the common cause.

Il Morto Che Parla

MBTI Type
xxTP
Ti to me in a workplace is.."I am trying to figure this out and continually improve until I reach what works(not sure if "works" is more Se specific, while Ne would need another word) best" while Te in a workplace is "lets talk, discuss, come to an agreement of best practices" Te is about "We" where Ti is about "I", Te can come across as very needy when it comes to this whole "We" thing. Ti will come across as "not a group player" though we are still working for the common cause.

I agree with this...though I think Te is more bossy than needy. :D

Also Ti is "let me do it in my own time and my own method, and I will deliver perfect results".

Te is "this needs to be done and look professional by 11am".

tsumatachi_san

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
No probs. :)

Having your "own" logic sounds like Ti to my understanding. I have my "own" systems that I can understand, it isn't as if I live my life never being able to find things.

Te is about external logic, placing a set of objective criteria for all to see, building processes and "bullet points" which everyone can follow.

A Ti and Te approach can both seem roganized if the person is left to their own devices. The, the main difference you will see is in "tidyness", but both can be efficient, and the Ti user can be as "organized" int heir own way as the Te user.

The difference is very noticeable in the workplace. Te seeks to set in place processes for everyone to follow, and has a set of logic which everyone can clearly see and understand. Ti does not, other people won't straight away understand your system (though the results may be effective).

Another question: what is your attitude to deadlines?
Hmm, that's interesting. I suppose I can see that. Are you saying Te's organisation is more accessible to others?

I'm always way ahead of deadlines - I do my work two or three weeks in advance. I've never had an issue with a deadline before. I tend to be very good at time management. I'm one of the only people in my friend group who hasn't ever struggled with handing in work on time before (this is from primary school through to university).

Oh, that's interesting. I haven't heard that before. Hmm, I tend to work well organising groups and handing out tasks to each person. However, I'm very likely to focus myself on the planning side, while assigning tasks I'm not so good at to the others - I try to assess strengths.

Also Ti is "let me do it in my own time and my own method, and I will deliver perfect results".

Hmm, I'm not sure between those - I'm a perfectionist, but if there's a deadline I'll hand in something that works...

Il Morto Che Parla

MBTI Type
xxTP
Hmm, that's interesting. I suppose I can see that. Are you saying Te's organisation is more accessible to others?

I'm always way ahead of deadlines - I do my work two or three weeks in advance. I've never had an issue with a deadline before. I tend to be very good at time management. I'm one of the only people in my friend group who hasn't ever struggled with handing in work on time before (this is from primary school through to university).

Oh, that's interesting. I haven't heard that before. Hmm, I tend to work well organising groups and handing out tasks to each person. However, I'm very likely to focus myself on the planning side, while assigning tasks I'm not so good at to the others - I try to assess strengths.

Hmm, I'm not sure between those - I'm a perfectionist, but if there's a deadline I'll hand in something that works...

Hmmm...you seem somewhat more J than P to me...I'd be interested to see what other questions people ask you. :)

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I have got in the habit of "most bang for the buck over perfect" My last 2 jobs...well my only 2 real jobs(everything else was part time while in school) I worked in an extremely fast paced enviornment when asked about time frame they responded "yesterday". I thrive in this environment, my ENTP co-worker though seems to always seem rushed and has problems meeting deadlines, he has more of the perfectionist attitude then I do. I can ask my boss for a day or 2 off when things are crazy and when I say "I will make sure it gets done" he can trust me. Even though I work in a fast paced environment I tend to always be above and beyond expectations. So when they say "I need this yesterday" I can respond with "give me an hour and it will be done" and there response is "wow"...and my co-workers response tends to be "show-off". I get that alot :doh:

I have also finished a 4 hour job in 30 minutes because I learned to how to multi task instead of siting around waiting for each process. Of course I was told not to do that because then they will come to expect that. The kicker is that about a year later my new boss(I was moved to a special projects group) was tasked from my old boss with speeding up the maintenance and my new boss graphed it out(based on times given for each process) and created a "what can be done in parallel" flow which reduced the time from 4 hours to 1 hour.

tsumatachi_san

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hmmm...you seem somewhat more J than P to me...I'd be interested to see what other questions people ask you. :)
Thank you. Me too :)

I have got in the habit of "most bang for the buck over perfect" My last 2 jobs...well my only 2 real jobs(everything else was part time while in school) I worked in an extremely fast paced enviornment when asked about time frame they responded "yesterday". I thrive in this environment, my ENTP co-worker though seems to always seem rushed and has problems meeting deadlines, he has more of the perfectionist attitude then I do. I can ask my boss for a day or 2 off when things are crazy and when I say "I will make sure it gets done" he can trust me. Even though I work in a fast paced environment I tend to always be above and beyond expectations. So when they say "I need this yesterday" I can respond with "give me an hour and it will be done" and there response is "wow"...and my co-workers response tends to be "show-off". I get that alot :doh:

I have also finished a 4 hour job in 30 minutes because I learned to how to multi task instead of siting around waiting for each process. Of course I was told not to do that because then they will come to expect that. The kicker is that about a year later my new boss(I was moved to a special projects group) was tasked from my old boss with speeding up the maintenance and my new boss graphed it out(based on times given for each process) and created a "what can be done in parallel" flow which reduced the time from 4 hours to 1 hour.
Ah, I can see how I differ in the work environment from you - bare in mind I've only had a few part-time jobs before.

When I worked in a bakery (which was very fast-paced) I did each task exactly the same, in the same order and at the same pace. I never bothered to think about how to improve it, because I just didn't care about the job enough - however, I still worked a lot more efficiently than my co-workers and only got told off a couple of times for speaking too quietly (I tried a little to speak louder and practised projecting my voice, but it just didn't work, so I explained about having chronic throat infections etc.). Overall, I did just what was expected/needed and no more.
When I worked in a clothes shop, I tended to work at the pace set (given an hour to tidy the sale rack, did it a little faster, but kept fiddling with it until time was up). I also didn't mind the tasks everyone else said were awful, like cleaning gum out an escalator (mostly because I didn't have to talk to people while I did it).
In both jobs, I had the habit of trying to figure things out by myself rather than ask - I went and searched for something for a while until my boss came to find me and told me to ask next time, and in the clothes shop I walked very confidently in the wrong direction when asked to get some shoes.

However, when I did work experience in a library (and was a lot more comfortable) I did every task in a surprisingly fast time and didn't mind asking where things were.

I can get slightly scattered when stressed, and I tend to get stressed in customer service jobs, so that's one explanation.

When I work on my own projects, I section off a specific time or target and achieve that - if I feel like doing more, I can, if not I won't, but I absolutely have to reach that target (my usual is an essay completed in under a day or 1,000 words of a story written).

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Reasons for intj below

I was always like that. I think some intps are perfectionistic too. In general, an intj will be more anal though.

Inferior extraverted sensing

-I'm not great with making conversation with people I don't know - I'm not good at small talk, so I tend to not say anything for quite a while

Typical for N intj to hate small talk. I was the same way when younger

-I'm slightly neurotic in the way I feel the need to double- or triple-check things - I never trust myself to pack my back properly, so I check it several times before leaving, and I make sure my work's in order (even if that order is in piles of paper on the floor).

Inferior extraverted sensing

Typical intj concise writing. Intps can be really good writers too but generally not as concise as an intj.

I'm interested in the link between biology and psychology to an almost obsessive level (when I was twelve or so, I used to spend hours researching mental illnesses.

Intj focus on one thing in depth. Mindless repetitive behavior characteristic of inferior extraverted sensing

Intjs are good at reading people. Overanalysis is typical. I do that too

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Thank you. Me too :)

Ah, I can see how I differ in the work environment from you - bare in mind I've only had a few part-time jobs before.

When I worked in a bakery (which was very fast-paced) I did each task exactly the same, in the same order and at the same pace. I never bothered to think about how to improve it, because I just didn't care about the job enough - however, I still worked a lot more efficiently than my co-workers and only got told off a couple of times for speaking too quietly (I tried a little to speak louder and practised projecting my voice, but it just didn't work, so I explained about having chronic throat infections etc.). Overall, I did just what was expected/needed and no more.
When I worked in a clothes shop, I tended to work at the pace set (given an hour to tidy the sale rack, did it a little faster, but kept fiddling with it until time was up). I also didn't mind the tasks everyone else said were awful, like cleaning gum out an escalator (mostly because I didn't have to talk to people while I did it).
In both jobs, I had the habit of trying to figure things out by myself rather than ask - I went and searched for something for a while until my boss came to find me and told me to ask next time, and in the clothes shop I walked very confidently in the wrong direction when asked to get some shoes.

However, when I did work experience in a library (and was a lot more comfortable) I did every task in a surprisingly fast time and didn't mind asking where things were.

I can get slightly scattered when stressed, and I tend to get stressed in customer service jobs, so that's one explanation.

When I work on my own projects, I section off a specific time or target and achieve that - if I feel like doing more, I can, if not I won't, but I absolutely have to reach that target (my usual is an essay completed in under a day or 1,000 words of a story written).

You sound like an I for sure, me, my brother, my dad, and most Is I know dont really like to talk to people, only those few people that they have got to know and that is something an I doesnt really go out and do a whole lot. My dad/brother(both IJs) seem to judge people and I just get bored alot of the time talking to most people. I will play it off like I am interested, but I am really not. The people I reach out to are the ones who I tend to be more interested in talking with everyone else is usally out of politeness.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Interesting, but i dont really agree with the characterization of Te vs Ti. I could care less about best practices. All i care about is what works.