User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: INTP or INTJ?

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Interesting, but i dont really agree with the characterization of Te vs Ti. I could care less about best practices. All i care about is what works.
    To my dad(INTJ)..."best practice" is defined as "what works". So to discuss "best practice" is to discuss what works. For me best practice is a combination of "what works" and "organization". Once I find something that works I like things to be organized and run smoothly.
    Im out, its been fun

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by _Poki_ View Post
    To my dad(INTJ)..."best practice" is defined as "what works". So to discuss "best practice" is to discuss what works. For me best practice is a combination of "what works" and "organization". Once I find something that works I like things to be organized and run smoothly.
    The problem with "best practice" is that no best practice is ideally suited to the situation at hand. It can always be evolved, tailored for the situation at hand and made better. So, it's a good concept but is an oxymoron of sorts for me. Also, efficiency and organization are very much things that INTJs strive for. The point is that the way you're describing the difference between Ti and Te is not the best way to characterize it. I'll provide more thoughts later.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

WALMART

How often do you view yourself and your actions in the third person?

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI Si

Reasons for intj below

-I'm very driven, almost perfectionistic - if something doesn't live up to my standards, I want to alter it (including myself - for example, if I don't do so well in a test, I'll throw myself into studying for the next one as well as reviewing everything I did wrong).

I was always like that. I think some intps are perfectionistic too. In general, an intj will be more anal though.

-I tend to be oblivious to my environment to a large extent - I didn't notice the electricity had cut off in my house until my laptop battery sign popped up saying it was discharging, then I realised I was sat in darkness. I also usually make two or three trips back to my room before I leave, due to either forgetting things or being convinced I've forgotten something. This has been commented on by a lot of people (my mum calls it 'being artistic' and I respond with calling it 'being stupid').

Inferior extraverted sensing

-I'm not great with making conversation with people I don't know - I'm not good at small talk, so I tend to not say anything for quite a while

Typical for N intj to hate small talk. I was the same way when younger

-I'm slightly neurotic in the way I feel the need to double- or triple-check things - I never trust myself to pack my back properly, so I check it several times before leaving, and I make sure my work's in order (even if that order is in piles of paper on the floor).

Inferior extraverted sensing

-I'm usually very much 'to the point' in writing and conversations - I'm an under-writer for essays (well, used to be, as I've almost worked myself out of doing that) and I've been told I'm good at condensing big points into a couple of words.

Typical intj concise writing. Intps can be really good writers too but generally not as concise as an intj.

I'm interested in the link between biology and psychology to an almost obsessive level (when I was twelve or so, I used to spend hours researching mental illnesses.

-I can be very obsessive about things and used to re-read books and/or listen to one song repeatedly (this may be OCD, as it runs in my family).

Intj focus on one thing in depth. Mindless repetitive behavior characteristic of inferior extraverted sensing

-I'm quite good at reading people, so if they act up, I can explain to them why they're acting the way they are (I know it's annoying to do so). I also spend time analysing people and how they react to certain things.

Intjs are good at reading people. Overanalysis is typical. I do that too
    Definite yes to overanalysis - I drive people crazy by continuing analysis of a subject for a long period of time (especially psychological motivation for actions). Thanks, this was a very clear post

Quote Originally Posted by _Poki_ View Post
    You sound like an I for sure, me, my brother, my dad, and most Is I know dont really like to talk to people, only those few people that they have got to know and that is something an I doesnt really go out and do a whole lot. My dad/brother(both IJs) seem to judge people and I just get bored alot of the time talking to most people. I will play it off like I am interested, but I am really not. The people I reach out to are the ones who I tend to be more interested in talking with everyone else is usally out of politeness.
    Yeah, I only enjoy talking to a couple of people. The rest of the time I'm nodding and smiling without really hearing what they're saying - especially people in class. I can end up getting irritated when people talk to me for no good reason (like a random guy in the street telling me to smile).

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    How often do you view yourself and your actions in the third person?
    Interesting question. I suppose reasonably often, but not enough to worry about having some kind of disorder - I have a snarky voice in the back of my mind, though (i.e. when I drop something it goes 'oh, well done' in a sarcastic tone).

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by tsumatachi_san View Post
    Yeah, I only enjoy talking to a couple of people. The rest of the time I'm nodding and smiling without really hearing what they're saying - especially people in class. I can end up getting irritated when people talk to me for no good reason (like a random guy in the street telling me to smile).
    It is a bad habit because people know you're not listening to them or taking their perspective into consideration but yes. I do this a) when I'm bored with what they are saying or b) when I'm thinking about what they are saying - interpreting and building on specific points that come up. In either case, the impact is that you're losing attention to the current conversation.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI Si

It is a bad habit because people know you're not listening to them or taking their perspective into consideration but yes. I do this a) when I'm bored with what they are saying or b) when I'm thinking about what they are saying - interpreting and building on specific points that come up. In either case, the impact is that you're losing attention to the current conversation.
    Yeah, I've been caught doing that a couple of times. If people call me on it, I'm usually surprised because I was sure I'd be fine just going on auto-response (it does work the majority of the time).

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI Si

I just read some information on INTJ 9w1s - apparently they're very unlike the stereotypes, so I'm seeing this as a possibility. What do you think?

WALMART

What has been your favorite topic to study and why?

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI Si

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    What has been your favorite topic to study and why?
    Language mostly. I've liked English Literature for a long time and I also enjoy studying Japanese. I like how it all works together and enjoy learning about the cultural aspects as well as the language. How come?

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by tsumatachi_san View Post
    Language mostly. I've liked English Literature for a long time and I also enjoy studying Japanese. I like how it all works together and enjoy learning about the cultural aspects as well as the language. How come?

I was trying to perhaps find a discerning factor to distinguish between Ni and Ne use. I'm leaning towards Ne...

You get my INTP stamp.