User Tag List

First 456

Results 51 to 54 of 54

  1. #51
    You have a choice! 21%'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    2,631

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    It's a suitable compromise. I'll be NF and make people happy, and I get to keep my beloved Ti.
    This is Fe!

    I used to be in an Ni-Ti loop when I was a teenager, then I changed environments and my Fe flourished and my life became so much easier. For some reason when I was younger I had this strange need to always "have it under control" and suppress affectedness and emotions. Everything had to be analyzed and mentally conquered. When I finally learned to let go of that, I was much freer to be, and a lot happier.
    4w5 sp/sx EII

  2. #52
    philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    4,042

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 21% View Post
    This is Fe!

    I used to be in an Ni-Ti loop when I was a teenager, then I changed environments and my Fe flourished and my life became so much easier. For some reason when I was younger I had this strange need to always "have it under control" and suppress affectedness and emotions. Everything had to be analyzed and mentally conquered. When I finally learned to let go of that, I was much freer to be, and a lot happier.
    Cool. Yay Fe!

    Sounds like me. I'm a control freak with myself.

  3. #53
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,582

    Default

    Here, finally, the promised additional comments.

    Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    True. So my real personality is how I act when in my natural and comfortable state, and the motivations for my behavior.
    Your real personality governs how you act in every situation. When in a "natural" and unconstrained state, your behaviors will be a better mirror of this true personality, than when a stressed or constrained situation. In such situations, you may choose/be forced to act in "atypical" ways, but this will still reflect some attempt to balance your fundamental preferences.

    Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    I'm very motivated by striving for excellence. I want to excel in everything I do, and I'm always trying to improve in things and get to the top level. I don't always reach it, but it is still what I want and an inseparable part of my personality. Perfectionism comes with this, but also just enjoying talents because they allow me to be good at things; I really enjoy the feeling of doing things well while I'm doing them.
    This is fairly type-generic. The desire for perfection suggests J, but I know plenty of SPs who want to perfect their sport, or craft, or art. The feeling of doing things well can also be based on several functions.

    Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    Going with excellence, competence is extremely important to me. I feel as though worth as a person depends a great deal on it. I want to be successful at living life and surviving. Pretty much all my insecurities come down to fearing incompetence.
    Competence is usually associated with NTs, but there are many forms of competence, and many reasons for valuing it and appreciating it in oneself. NTs generally aspire to (much) more than survival and living life.

    Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    I do have a basic sense of value when it comes to people, and I am motivated by the desire to be a good person. In pretty much every sense of the word. But I'm not attached to it- I'd really rather not be judged or pressured to be a certain way; and I like the idea of living without being attached to value judgments. Still, to the extent that I have good qualities like beauty, intelligence, competence, etc., and I am useful and beneficial to the web of living things and the planet, I am good.
    Relating goodness to the idea of benefitting the web of living things sounds much more F than T. A T might feel it, and even do it, but would probably not express it in this way unless VERY in touch with his/her Fi/Fe.

    Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    I'm motivated by a sense of interconnection. I feel part of the web of life in the biosphere, and because we are part of one entity I seek to preserve it. (I used to think this and the previous point were Fi, but I'm thinking they could just as easily be Fe because of the collectivism.)
    Yes, this could be either Fi or Fe, depending on what motivates it and how it is realized. Fe suggests a greater tendency to operate via these external connections, while Fi is more of an inner, personal attitude. It is more likely to lead, say, by example while Fe will be more socially engaging.

    Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    I'm extremely curious and have the drive for knowledge and understanding of the underlying principles of reality. (I'm a philosophy major because it's something I never get tired of.) I really want to know objective reality, and in the process I'm willing to sacrifice all my subjective attachments- but I can't break my connection with the Earth and the life on it or I would cease to exist. I want to understand everything and how it all works and analyze it to death. Knowledge of underlying truth motivates me in most everything. (This is one reason I find it hard to relax- I have to analyze things and I fear losing objectivity and mental control by being absorbed in things.)
    You say you want to understand "everything". Do you prioritize among this everything -- people, nature, philosophy, spirituality/divinity, technology? F's are neither dumb nor disinclined to study and scholarship, but their primary areas of interest (and reasons for that interest) often differ from those of NTs.

    Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    I am very motivated by social approval and inclusion. This and my drive to excel makes me competitive.
    As I wrote before, this suggests Fe. Perhaps it fits with the desire "not to be judged or pressured to be a certain way" in that you prefer to get your social approval by being the real you, not the you others want you to be. Fi might be content just to be true to him/herself, regardless of what others think.

    [
    Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    'm motivated by being provocative and thinking outside the box. This is why I like being silly and mischievous, as well as creative; new and different perspectives are always useful, and help us to not take life too seriously (because taking life too seriously leads to suffering).
    Another F-based motivation.

    Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    I'm very motivated by survival. I will do whatever it takes to survive in any situation, and I think a lot about how to be prepared for anything. This makes me not afraid of conflict, and makes me rather combative at times. But my sense of harmony tempers this tendency, and I recognize that it works well socially to not be abrasive and obnoxious.
    Ts often recognize the practical downside of being abrasive and obnoxious, but won't have the same social context or sense of social harmony,

    Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    I do have a sense of idealism that goes with imagination; I believe that we create our reality (within reason), and sometimes escaping into imagination can be positive, therapeutic and even productive because it produces good ideas. We just shouldn't live there.
    One of the more Ni-based comments you have made.

    Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    I'm very motivated by the desire for communication. Communication provides information, and information is needed to solve problems and make discoveries. So without it, nothing can be solved or discovered.
    Again, any type can recognize the importance of communication, and learn to communicate well, but it is a bigger priority for Fe - not sure so much for Fi. Te might actually give it higher priority just out of the practical benefits.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

  4. #54
    philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    4,042

    Default

    Cool, thanks! It seems based on this that INFJ is a good choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    This is fairly type-generic. The desire for perfection suggests J, but I know plenty of SPs who want to perfect their sport, or craft, or art. The feeling of doing things well can also be based on several functions.
    I like getting into the zone, where I am one with the workings of the universe. That's what it feels like to do things well. It feels like I have mastered the force and I'm in harmony with the Tao.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Competence is usually associated with NTs, but there are many forms of competence, and many reasons for valuing it and appreciating it in oneself. NTs generally aspire to (much) more than survival and living life.
    Aspire to what much more than survival and living? And for what purpose? What could be higher than living well? Don't all things ultimately point to it? I think some people are more focused on smaller and less important aspects of life, and falsely see them as more important, so sacrifice other things to those ends rather than see how it all works as a whole.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Relating goodness to the idea of benefitting the web of living things sounds much more F than T. A T might feel it, and even do it, but would probably not express it in this way unless VERY in touch with his/her Fi/Fe.
    Hm. Interesting. So T's don't really think about social harmony, it's more a means to other ends? I value Te type things as in service to Fe type goals, and Fi as only a base on which to be functional- only addressed when something goes wrong. Ti I suppose would be in service to Ni, which is to use logic to know the connections of reality. And knowing reality is the ultimate goal, because it allows both Fe and Ti to work. For me knowledge would be useless without some connection to other living things, but that connection would never be enough in itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Yes, this could be either Fi or Fe, depending on what motivates it and how it is realized. Fe suggests a greater tendency to operate via these external connections, while Fi is more of an inner, personal attitude. It is more likely to lead, say, by example while Fe will be more socially engaging.
    I believe it's a basic truth (that we are all connected), that some people feel more directly than others. It's just a part of my being, but not something subjective really because I think it's true no matter how people feel; so I want to educate other people about interconnection. So in this sense it is more Fe. And it's my sense of ethics; if I or anyone else acts contrary to it I would judge that action as unethical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    You say you want to understand "everything". Do you prioritize among this everything -- people, nature, philosophy, spirituality/divinity, technology? F's are neither dumb nor disinclined to study and scholarship, but their primary areas of interest (and reasons for that interest) often differ from those of NTs.
    Hm...I prioritize the underlying concepts first, and the general ones second, then the specifics. Because I can't possibly know all the specifics, and spending too much time on them would detract from time spent knowing the bigger things. So philosophy and spirituality first, then knowledge of nature (both through experience and intellectually), then connections between humans and nature, then humans, then other interesting things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    As I wrote before, this suggests Fe. Perhaps it fits with the desire "not to be judged or pressured to be a certain way" in that you prefer to get your social approval by being the real you, not the you others want you to be. Fi might be content just to be true to him/herself, regardless of what others think.
    No, I tend to think (incorrectly) that other people's assessments of me are more based in reality than mine. If I can find a connection between how I am and something I think is important, like fairies (because they are highly evolved beings and protect the earth), then that gives my weirdness validation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Another F-based motivation.
    Really? I thought this could go either way, just because of how I was thinking about it. Feelers being concerned with feelings might prioritize happiness, but thinkers operating more independent of feelings might want to avoid suffering because it is a feely thing that distracts from thinking. And feelers would be comfortable with all emotions, so I thought to them suffering would be less terrible because it's just a part of life. But maybe thinkers just deal with suffering because they're focusing on other goals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Ts often recognize the practical downside of being abrasive and obnoxious, but won't have the same social context or sense of social harmony,
    Again because they're more concerned with T based goals rather than having harmony be a goal in itself?
    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Again, any type can recognize the importance of communication, and learn to communicate well, but it is a bigger priority for Fe - not sure so much for Fi. Te might actually give it higher priority just out of the practical benefits.
    I was thinking Fe as well, but also Te. Fi is more about one sided communication, both people being able to express themselves; Fe is about both people meeting in the middle. (I've learned about this from reading threads.)

Similar Threads

  1. Imagine adding Me and Mi (motion) to the list of function attitudes.
    By Retmeishka in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-26-2011, 04:01 AM
  2. Applying to intern for Congressmen and my move to WASHINGTON DC!!!!!111!1one
    By DiscoBiscuit in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-13-2010, 05:14 PM
  3. [Fi] Why is my response to other peoples crying to cry?
    By Cindy in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 06-04-2010, 06:51 AM
  4. Come Take Our Tests and Post Your Results
    By ygolo in forum Online Personality Tests
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 06-15-2009, 10:36 PM
  5. My response to negative emotion.
    By Athenian200 in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-25-2007, 02:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO