• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Me taking a test and my responses to the questions.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm thinking I'm probably INFJ in of those loop thingies. But I still don't believe in having to be only one type, it is only a central type for now. It's like:

ENTP-->ENFP

INFJ-->INTP-->INTJ

Edit: And the website doesn't like my creative spacing, so the diagram doesn't work. ENTP is supposed to be over INTP with an arrow pointing down, and ENFP over INTJ with an arrow.

Computers really inhibit my style of communication sometimes, since more often than not I think in pictures and diagrams instead of in a linear fashion (sounds like Ni). And I'm not computer savvy enough to make a nice little diagram in a program and then paste it on here.

G

Ginkgo

For Ti, additional information is negligible when trying to arrive at a conclusion. For Te, data cluster after data cluster must be collected, which frequently demands a consensus before having a sense of assurance for a claim. If the data doesn't add up in the mind of the Te user, judgment is put on hold, and in some cases completely disregarded and considered irrelevant from overall goals. Te tends to add complexity to a design, while Ti subtracts for the sake of recognizing the core components.

I see you as an INFP because you keep bringing new, irrelevant information to the table. I think that if you were an INTP, you would have claimed a type by now; whether you claimed INTP or INFP would be subject to your level of accuracy.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm thinking I'm probably INFJ in of those loop thingies. But I still don't believe in having to be only one type, it is only a central type for now.
Your "central type" is your one best-fit type. That is how it works for everyone. You can use non-preferred functions and emulate other types, such that someone who interacts with you at those times might think it is your actual type, but it isn't.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Your "central type" is your one best-fit type. That is how it works for everyone. You can use non-preferred functions and emulate other types, such that someone who interacts with you at those times might think it is your actual type, but it isn't.
Maybe, but I'm still skeptical. Some people are more ambiguous than others, and emulate other types more frequently and completely than others. And some people just really fit their type, while others have characteristics which are relatively unchangeable that contradict their type, making me think they are a combination. The whole system seems to be based on preference between opposites, and in my experience of understanding the world, the best place is usually in the middle. The answer is just rarely an extreme. I know Jung and the theory says we have to have a strict hierarchy, but I don't think it has to be that strict. While it's true that to come to a decision one thing has to "win" over all the others, and it's usually efficient to have a method for decision making, I think it can vary based on the type of decision and circumstances. I don't believe the hierarchy has to be that strict, or linear.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
:happy0065:

:thumbup:

I'm glad you finally figured out what type you think yourself to be!

I love motivational posters!

Ah well you know, it's probably not a permanent thing anymore than the original INTP was. :/ My true type is still a mystery. I'm just shifting focus. But the INFJ posters seem to fit me a shade better than INTP...

And you?

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

:( Sadly I'm still undecided though perhaps if you are still unsure as well you could consult [MENTION=15392]AffirmitiveAnxiety[/MENTION] as he is supposedly INFJ according to a professional analysis he just recieved and I think he agrees with the decision so maybe you could come to some sort of concensus on this INFJ typing. Perhaps then you could discover the secret.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Maybe, but I'm still skeptical. Some people are more ambiguous than others, and emulate other types more frequently and completely than others. And some people just really fit their type, while others have characteristics which are relatively unchangeable that contradict their type, making me think they are a combination. The whole system seems to be based on preference between opposites, and in my experience of understanding the world, the best place is usually in the middle. The answer is just rarely an extreme. I know Jung and the theory says we have to have a strict hierarchy, but I don't think it has to be that strict. While it's true that to come to a decision one thing has to "win" over all the others, and it's usually efficient to have a method for decision making, I think it can vary based on the type of decision and circumstances. I don't believe the hierarchy has to be that strict, or linear.
Are you ambidextrous? Most of us have a preferred hand (or foot, or eye), but that doesn't stop us from using the other one. Yes, it is a preference between opposites, but their use is not mutually exclusive. And yes, some people are better at emulating other types than others. Those seemingly atypical characteristics you sometimes observe, however, might have very "typical" origins in motivation and background.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So could you give us your reasoning as to why you now choose to type as INFJ?

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
For Ti, additional information is negligible when trying to arrive at a conclusion. For Te, data cluster after data cluster must be collected, which frequently demands a consensus before having a sense of assurance for a claim. If the data doesn't add up in the mind of the Te user, judgment is put on hold, and in some cases completely disregarded and considered irrelevant from overall goals. Te tends to add complexity to a design, while Ti subtracts for the sake of recognizing the core components.

I see you as an INFP because you keep bringing new, irrelevant information to the table. I think that if you were an INTP, you would have claimed a type by now; whether you claimed INTP or INFP would be subject to your level of accuracy.

So INFP is the default for Te use? I think this is a leap.

I follow your reasoning, and I see its merit; however I did start by claiming a type; I only became uncertain after relentless argument with my decision. It's like I can't win; I start by saying I'm 99% sure I'm INTP, then people say they're 99% sure I'm INFP, so I listen to their arguments and see things from other points of view, and then the fact that I listen to them means I'm INFP. If I don't listen people are upset, if I do then that automatically means they're right.

Care to comment on post #13 about Fe use vs. Fi? It's pretty important in distinguishing between INFP and iNfj.

So could you give us your reasoning as to why you now choose to type as INFJ?
I'm not strong on any letter, but strongest on N, so it gets a capital letter.

It's a suitable compromise. I'll be NF and make people happy, and I get to keep my beloved Ti. And the functions fit me pretty well. It's not a perfect fit; the puzzle pieces still don't quite fit together, but they add up to something that resembles a puzzle rather than a collection of random pieces. So it'll do for now. And the motivational posters fit for the most part. And I identify with INFJ's on here as much as INTX if not more. Ni fits as well as Ne, Fe is definitely > Fi, Ti fits, and Se > Si kind of fits too. I still think inferior Fe fits better than inferior Se, but inf. Se fits well enough I guess. Basically I don't really care and it works. There are a lot of other little clues and bits of evidence as well.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
It's a suitable compromise. I'll be NF and make people happy, and I get to keep my beloved Ti.
This is Fe! :D

I used to be in an Ni-Ti loop when I was a teenager, then I changed environments and my Fe flourished and my life became so much easier. For some reason when I was younger I had this strange need to always "have it under control" and suppress affectedness and emotions. Everything had to be analyzed and mentally conquered. When I finally learned to let go of that, I was much freer to be, and a lot happier.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is Fe! :D

I used to be in an Ni-Ti loop when I was a teenager, then I changed environments and my Fe flourished and my life became so much easier. For some reason when I was younger I had this strange need to always "have it under control" and suppress affectedness and emotions. Everything had to be analyzed and mentally conquered. When I finally learned to let go of that, I was much freer to be, and a lot happier.
Cool. Yay Fe!

Sounds like me. I'm a control freak with myself.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Here, finally, the promised additional comments.

True. So my real personality is how I act when in my natural and comfortable state, and the motivations for my behavior.
Your real personality governs how you act in every situation. When in a "natural" and unconstrained state, your behaviors will be a better mirror of this true personality, than when a stressed or constrained situation. In such situations, you may choose/be forced to act in "atypical" ways, but this will still reflect some attempt to balance your fundamental preferences.

I'm very motivated by striving for excellence. I want to excel in everything I do, and I'm always trying to improve in things and get to the top level. I don't always reach it, but it is still what I want and an inseparable part of my personality. Perfectionism comes with this, but also just enjoying talents because they allow me to be good at things; I really enjoy the feeling of doing things well while I'm doing them.
This is fairly type-generic. The desire for perfection suggests J, but I know plenty of SPs who want to perfect their sport, or craft, or art. The feeling of doing things well can also be based on several functions.

Going with excellence, competence is extremely important to me. I feel as though worth as a person depends a great deal on it. I want to be successful at living life and surviving. Pretty much all my insecurities come down to fearing incompetence.
Competence is usually associated with NTs, but there are many forms of competence, and many reasons for valuing it and appreciating it in oneself. NTs generally aspire to (much) more than survival and living life.

I do have a basic sense of value when it comes to people, and I am motivated by the desire to be a good person. In pretty much every sense of the word. But I'm not attached to it- I'd really rather not be judged or pressured to be a certain way; and I like the idea of living without being attached to value judgments. Still, to the extent that I have good qualities like beauty, intelligence, competence, etc., and I am useful and beneficial to the web of living things and the planet, I am good.
Relating goodness to the idea of benefitting the web of living things sounds much more F than T. A T might feel it, and even do it, but would probably not express it in this way unless VERY in touch with his/her Fi/Fe.

I'm motivated by a sense of interconnection. I feel part of the web of life in the biosphere, and because we are part of one entity I seek to preserve it. (I used to think this and the previous point were Fi, but I'm thinking they could just as easily be Fe because of the collectivism.)
Yes, this could be either Fi or Fe, depending on what motivates it and how it is realized. Fe suggests a greater tendency to operate via these external connections, while Fi is more of an inner, personal attitude. It is more likely to lead, say, by example while Fe will be more socially engaging.

I'm extremely curious and have the drive for knowledge and understanding of the underlying principles of reality. (I'm a philosophy major because it's something I never get tired of.) I really want to know objective reality, and in the process I'm willing to sacrifice all my subjective attachments- but I can't break my connection with the Earth and the life on it or I would cease to exist. I want to understand everything and how it all works and analyze it to death. Knowledge of underlying truth motivates me in most everything. (This is one reason I find it hard to relax- I have to analyze things and I fear losing objectivity and mental control by being absorbed in things.)
You say you want to understand "everything". Do you prioritize among this everything -- people, nature, philosophy, spirituality/divinity, technology? F's are neither dumb nor disinclined to study and scholarship, but their primary areas of interest (and reasons for that interest) often differ from those of NTs.

I am very motivated by social approval and inclusion. This and my drive to excel makes me competitive.
As I wrote before, this suggests Fe. Perhaps it fits with the desire "not to be judged or pressured to be a certain way" in that you prefer to get your social approval by being the real you, not the you others want you to be. Fi might be content just to be true to him/herself, regardless of what others think.

[
'm motivated by being provocative and thinking outside the box. This is why I like being silly and mischievous, as well as creative; new and different perspectives are always useful, and help us to not take life too seriously (because taking life too seriously leads to suffering).
Another F-based motivation.

I'm very motivated by survival. I will do whatever it takes to survive in any situation, and I think a lot about how to be prepared for anything. This makes me not afraid of conflict, and makes me rather combative at times. But my sense of harmony tempers this tendency, and I recognize that it works well socially to not be abrasive and obnoxious.
Ts often recognize the practical downside of being abrasive and obnoxious, but won't have the same social context or sense of social harmony,

I do have a sense of idealism that goes with imagination; I believe that we create our reality (within reason), and sometimes escaping into imagination can be positive, therapeutic and even productive because it produces good ideas. We just shouldn't live there.
One of the more Ni-based comments you have made.

I'm very motivated by the desire for communication. Communication provides information, and information is needed to solve problems and make discoveries. So without it, nothing can be solved or discovered.
Again, any type can recognize the importance of communication, and learn to communicate well, but it is a bigger priority for Fe - not sure so much for Fi. Te might actually give it higher priority just out of the practical benefits.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Cool, thanks! It seems based on this that INFJ is a good choice.
This is fairly type-generic. The desire for perfection suggests J, but I know plenty of SPs who want to perfect their sport, or craft, or art. The feeling of doing things well can also be based on several functions.
I like getting into the zone, where I am one with the workings of the universe. That's what it feels like to do things well. It feels like I have mastered the force and I'm in harmony with the Tao.
Competence is usually associated with NTs, but there are many forms of competence, and many reasons for valuing it and appreciating it in oneself. NTs generally aspire to (much) more than survival and living life.
Aspire to what much more than survival and living? And for what purpose? What could be higher than living well? Don't all things ultimately point to it? I think some people are more focused on smaller and less important aspects of life, and falsely see them as more important, so sacrifice other things to those ends rather than see how it all works as a whole.
Relating goodness to the idea of benefitting the web of living things sounds much more F than T. A T might feel it, and even do it, but would probably not express it in this way unless VERY in touch with his/her Fi/Fe.
Hm. Interesting. So T's don't really think about social harmony, it's more a means to other ends? I value Te type things as in service to Fe type goals, and Fi as only a base on which to be functional- only addressed when something goes wrong. Ti I suppose would be in service to Ni, which is to use logic to know the connections of reality. And knowing reality is the ultimate goal, because it allows both Fe and Ti to work. For me knowledge would be useless without some connection to other living things, but that connection would never be enough in itself.
Yes, this could be either Fi or Fe, depending on what motivates it and how it is realized. Fe suggests a greater tendency to operate via these external connections, while Fi is more of an inner, personal attitude. It is more likely to lead, say, by example while Fe will be more socially engaging.
I believe it's a basic truth (that we are all connected), that some people feel more directly than others. It's just a part of my being, but not something subjective really because I think it's true no matter how people feel; so I want to educate other people about interconnection. So in this sense it is more Fe. And it's my sense of ethics; if I or anyone else acts contrary to it I would judge that action as unethical.
You say you want to understand "everything". Do you prioritize among this everything -- people, nature, philosophy, spirituality/divinity, technology? F's are neither dumb nor disinclined to study and scholarship, but their primary areas of interest (and reasons for that interest) often differ from those of NTs.
Hm...I prioritize the underlying concepts first, and the general ones second, then the specifics. Because I can't possibly know all the specifics, and spending too much time on them would detract from time spent knowing the bigger things. So philosophy and spirituality first, then knowledge of nature (both through experience and intellectually), then connections between humans and nature, then humans, then other interesting things.
As I wrote before, this suggests Fe. Perhaps it fits with the desire "not to be judged or pressured to be a certain way" in that you prefer to get your social approval by being the real you, not the you others want you to be. Fi might be content just to be true to him/herself, regardless of what others think.
No, I tend to think (incorrectly) that other people's assessments of me are more based in reality than mine. If I can find a connection between how I am and something I think is important, like fairies (because they are highly evolved beings and protect the earth), then that gives my weirdness validation.
Another F-based motivation.
Really? I thought this could go either way, just because of how I was thinking about it. Feelers being concerned with feelings might prioritize happiness, but thinkers operating more independent of feelings might want to avoid suffering because it is a feely thing that distracts from thinking. And feelers would be comfortable with all emotions, so I thought to them suffering would be less terrible because it's just a part of life. But maybe thinkers just deal with suffering because they're focusing on other goals.
Ts often recognize the practical downside of being abrasive and obnoxious, but won't have the same social context or sense of social harmony,
Again because they're more concerned with T based goals rather than having harmony be a goal in itself?
Again, any type can recognize the importance of communication, and learn to communicate well, but it is a bigger priority for Fe - not sure so much for Fi. Te might actually give it higher priority just out of the practical benefits.
I was thinking Fe as well, but also Te. Fi is more about one sided communication, both people being able to express themselves; Fe is about both people meeting in the middle. (I've learned about this from reading threads.)