• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is my friend an ISFP or INFP?

Nicki

Retired
We're each others best friends for around 4 years now. She's a very go-with-the-flow, friendly person. At first, I actually thought she was an extravert but then I saw that she retreats to herself when she's sad. She really cares about being true to herself no matter. She doesn't care much about making friends if she's not being herself. She's a definite Fi-dominant. She's NEVER an asshole although sometimes her jokes can be slightly offensive. Everything is joked about between the two of us. I'm an ENTJ myself and I don't ever have to filter what I say around her. She's pretty accommodating. I'm not sure what else to say.

Arkigos

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
xxx
We're each others best friends for around 4 years now. She's a very go-with-the-flow, friendly person. At first, I actually thought she was an extravert but then I saw that she retreats to herself when she's sad. She really cares about being true to herself no matter. She doesn't care much about making friends if she's not being herself. She's a definite Fi-dominant. She's NEVER an asshole although sometimes her jokes can be slightly offensive. Everything is joked about between the two of us. I'm an ENTJ myself and I don't ever have to filter what I say around her. She's pretty accommodating. I'm not sure what else to say.

Statistically she is much more likely to be ISFP... and your description, though very brief, gave no indication to the contrary.

Ne tends to be pretty high-minded. They'll talk more about concepts and imaginary things more than real life. Don't base it off of creativity. A shocking majority of artists, composers, and super innovative musicians are ISFP while only a rare few are INFP. To give you an idea of what I mean by high-minded... famous INFP musicians are, let's say:

Ben Gibbard
Kurt Cobain (probably)
Billy Corgan
John Lennon

They tend to be more cerebral, conceptual, highfalutin, etc.

ISFPs are, the lions' share of the rest of the good singer-songwriters.

Nicki

Retired
Statistically she is much more likely to be ISFP... and your description, though very brief, gave no indication to the contrary.

Ne tends to be pretty high-minded. They'll talk more about concepts and imaginary things more than real life. Don't base it off of creativity. A shocking majority of artists, composers, and super innovative musicians are ISFP while only a rare few are INFP. To give you an idea of what I mean by high-minded... famous INFP musicians are, let's say:

Ben Gibbard
Kurt Cobain (probably)
Billy Corgan
John Lennon

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I felt like she was an ISFP too. I never felt like she used Ne. She really talks about her daily life more than concepts and imaginary things along with her feelings. Ah, Kurt Cobain, I love him.

Nicki

Retired

Ben Gibbard
Kurt Cobain (probably)
Billy Corgan
John Lennon

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I felt like she was an ISFP too. I never felt like she used Ne. She really talks about her daily life more than concepts and imaginary things along with her feelings. Ah, Kurt Cobain, I love him.

Lumpet

MBTI Type
INXX
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I can maybe help you with this since i had personal experience with my closest friend ISFP who was first mistyped as INFP. So i went with her through all that perceiving functions observation differentiation.

Nicki

Retired
I can maybe help you with this since i had personal experience with my closest friend ISFP who was first mistyped as INFP. So i went with her through all that perceiving functions observation differentiation.

Thank you, you've been too kind. Hmm what did you do? Like my friend gets INFP on tests and identifies with the description but she seems far more present-oriented than an INFP.

Lumpet

MBTI Type
INXX
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thank you, you've been too kind. Hmm what did you do? Like my friend gets INFP on tests and identifies with the description but she seems far more present-oriented than an INFP.

Well we sat on a coffee one day and i was talking about functions and i had papers with me. She was asking me to explain Se and i pointed out the possible visual and sensor orientation of Se. Their way of acting, experiences, impulsiveness. Basic differences between S and N types worked to point out that she is really an ISFP rather then INFP.
It was pretty much simple...she clearly picked Se and Ni over Ne and Si. Which i think it's rather correct cuz she enjoys physical impulses, she is visually oriented and she is rather hedonistic type of a person.

Nicki

Retired
Well we sat on a coffee one day and i was talking about functions and i had papers with me. She was asking me to explain Se and i pointed out the possible visual and sensor orientation of Se. Their way of acting, experiences, impulsiveness. Basic differences between S and N types worked to point out that she is really an ISFP rather then INFP.
It was pretty much simple...she clearly picked Se and Ni over Ne and Si. Which i think it's rather correct cuz she enjoys physical impulses, she is visually oriented and she is rather hedonistic type of a person.

That's really clever. Yeah that's kinda how my friend's like but not really hedonistic although pretty fun-loving. I just get this ISFP vibe, you know what I mean?

Piercie

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ISFP translates pretty closely with 4w3 enneagram... I just noticed while browsing this thread...

Although Lennon was a 9w1...