• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Have I been mistyped?

Ntuitive

MBTI Type
INTP
Okay, so I've been lurking (but not posting) around various typology forums ever since I did an online MBTI test a few years ago and found out that I was apparently INTP.

However, the reason why I have xNxP now on my profile is because I'm not even sure whether I'm intro/extroverted or thinking/feeling specifically. This is especially because I've been motivated to become more socialized due to this competitive spirit that I have with an ENFJ friend of mine - although I'm not sure if he knows this, and I'm also still not fond of social niceties in and of themselves (I just like to have meaningful conversations and not just "fluff" for the sake of having something to talk about).

Thus, I've actually become more gregarious and more expressive, but I've noticed in the past that I often:

1.) become gregarious in which I become relaxed and ultra-fun, but it feels very exaggerated compared to the average extroverted person (or at least, I think so, probably because I'm not that socially confident, although I feel more open to socialization compared to the past, when I was really shy and liked to be in my own world).

or

2.) become more expressive at the wrong times - and then becoming extremely apologetic about them. (I remember in middle school where my English teacher was talking about Alfred Nobel and his Nobel Prize program, and I laughed about the fact that he was worried about dynamite's effects on world peace not because I was trying to be an insensitive jerk but because I thought it was ironic and unexpected. Needless to say, she was not amused, and the fact that she was an STJ type didn't really help. :dry:) However, I've become better at trying to hide these socially-inappropriate feelings using more subtle methods of expression (or just the basic hiding of a smile).

Also, about the thinking/feeling dichotomy, I've been looking at the specific functions for a while (and the stickies here too), and even though I feel like I act like a feeling type in terms of defending what is right, true, and meaningful (I do have my times of empathy and idealism, you know :wink:), I have a very highly developed sense of thinking as well, and I'm comfortable with my logical side.

Finally, here's my cognitive functions test results:

Cognitive ProcessLevel of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se) ********************* (21.7)
limited use
introverted Sensing (Si) ********************************* (33.9)
good use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ***************************************** (41.8)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) **************************** (28.4)
average use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ***************************** (29.7)
average use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ***************************** (29.6)
average use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ******************* (19.6)
limited use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ********************************** (34.9)

As you can see here, my Te and Ti are pretty balanced. (And also, I have been typed as INFP, INTP, INFJ, INTJ, and ENTP. Mostly, I get INTP or INFP, but obviously, that's not been the case.)

(Also, I'm a female, if that might be a key factor for some of this.)

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What you look at is Ne and Fi being strongest, and that points squarely to ENFP. The order of the other functions doesn't matter. Type is determined only be the two most "preferred" functions, and here the two strongest unambiguously match a type.
Ti is the right brain alternative to Fi, so it often will come up stronger for FP's, whose Te will often come up as weak. So them being tied says nothing, but with Fi as strong, and Fe is weak, then that is a clear FP preference being implied.

It's possible from that to be INFP, because sometimes the aux. can come out stronger (especially since in their case, as for INTP's, it's extraverted and easier to recognize, plus the auxiliary is what we often reach out to others with anyway). But in any case, those results are showing a clear NFP. If you don't feel completely "extroverted", ENP's often are said not to appear that way all the time.

Ntuitive

MBTI Type
INTP
What you look at is Ne and Fi being strongest, and that points squarely to ENFP. The order of the other functions doesn't matter. Type is determined only be the two most "preferred" functions, and here the two strongest unambiguously match a type.
Ti is the right brain alternative to Fi, so it often will come up stronger for FP's, whose Te will often come up as weak. So them being tied says nothing, but with Fi as strong, and Fe is weak, then that is a clear FP preference being implied.

It's possible from that to be INFP, because sometimes the aux. can come out stronger (especially since in their case, as for INTP's, it's extraverted and easier to recognize, plus the auxiliary is what we often reach out to others with anyway). But in any case, those results are showing a clear NFP. If you don't feel completely "extroverted", ENP's often are said not to appear that way all the time.

I have two questions though:

1.) I'm still not sure whether I'm really an E though since:
a.) I don't really need people that much - I don't mind sitting in front of a computer reading theoretical articles on Wikipedia all day while listening to music on YouTube. :nerd:

b.) I just act like an E for utility's sake most of the time (or because I'm comfortable with the person/people involved, but that would have to involve some sort of synergy here - one example is an INTP colleague of mine who I somehow related to instantly personality-wise despite our different emphases - which is usually not the case).​

2.) Can both of these types have a very strong rational side though? I've always been into critically analyzing philosophy and theology as such [albeit for the purposes of: 1.) trying to get the truth out of something and 2.) using it to learn more about my values and justify/spread those values to others]. (Implied by this is that I'm not necessarily afraid of cold, hard facts or logic - although I admit that when I am criticized, I feel really hurt, but I don't really show my emotions there.) Also, I'm pretty good at math (went through BC Calculus in high school), and often times, I find myself laughing at NT things because I find them clever or because I find those actions as something that I would be doing.

For example, when I went to this same INTP colleague of mine (who was a literature/theology teacher and a graduate student in philosophy) to help me critique this one guy's paper, I completely understood the concepts that even one of my NF friends says would go over her head straight away. Plus, when he said in an email that "I was going to type up a full assessment of this, but it got completely got out of hand", I laughed because I could imagine doing something like that, especially in my younger days - not to mention the fact that it's sooo like him, using his Ti to get into technical reviews! :D)

Finally, on tests, I have flip-flopped back and forth between being a T and an F (although both would end up being weak preferences for me, since I can use both very well). I know cognitive functions are important, but I think actual behavior is key as well, no? :mellow:

ScottJames

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well, looking at those cognitive function test results I'd question the validity of the test. If I was only looking at that you'd look like an ENFP. INTP is pretty far from ENFP. Online test are pretty bad - as the rule and not the exception. Do you happen to have any videos you could show us? If I can hear your voice I can tell E vs I pretty accurately. E vs. I energy dynamic shows up in the voice.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
1) E is not about "needing" people. It might shape how much you tend to approach them for interaction, (including those you feel "synergy" with)

2) Both T and F are "rational", (in the original Jungian use, it just indicated a judgment function) so what you describe sounds like it could still be NFP. Especially when you say "using it to learn more about my values and justify/spread those values to others". You don't necessarily have to be afraid of cold facts and logic. The ENFP, particularly, has tertiary Te, so stuff like math might even be a source of "relief" to them. (The tertiary tends to be associated with relief). ENFP's here have said they like math a lot. And Ti, again, is the right brain alternative, and might even come up at times. If it's something you laugh about, then Beebe said the positive side of Trickster Ti is the ability to find humor in the things of Ti and the people who prefer it.

If you're dom. Ne, then that's the ego's main world-view, so even the T or F will be of lesser importance, and you might appear to flip-flop. But the evidence I'm seeing here gives the edge to F. Behavior is an evidence, and that seems to point to F as well.

Ntuitive

MBTI Type
INTP
Well, looking at those cognitive function test results I'd question the validity of the test. If I was only looking at that you'd look like an ENFP. INTP is pretty far from ENFP. Online test are pretty bad - as the rule and not the exception. Do you happen to have any videos you could show us? If I can hear your voice I can tell E vs I pretty accurately. E vs. I energy dynamic shows up in the voice.

First, regarding videos, I regret that's not the case: I accidentally disabled my sound recording card on my computer (because I like to toy around with things), and now I can't even record my voice, even though my webcam is perfectly fine. (Indeed, it would be kind of weird seeing just body motions without accompanying sound - and I'm not fluent in sign language, so that's not an option! :D)

Secondly, I know that the reliability of these online tests aren't necessarily the best, but I'm a bit of a cheapskate, to say the least. :wink: Anyway, I just find it weird because I have actually taken this cognitive function test before (it's the Keys2Cognition version), and while I got a guess of "INFP" this time around, I have gotten "INTP" in the past (probably because both my Fi and my Ti were pretty high that particular time when I took it). And I've taken plenty of other "regular" online MBTI tests, and they tend to portray me as a borderline INxP (which I think makes more sense than being an ENFP because while I want to change the real world, I find it easier to direct my energy inward towards thoughts and ideas rather than towards external things).

Ntuitive

MBTI Type
INTP
Actually, regarding the sound card, I've fixed it (didn't even know it was hidden in the background files)! But I would still have to get a video up though: what would you like to know specifically so both of you can get a better analysis of what my MBTI type actually is?

ScottJames

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm a noob here, so I'm not sure how to send you a message, but send me one if you want to run through a quick profiling session via IM. That would probably be a whole lot quicker. I'm pretty confident I can help you come to a definitive conclusion.

Ntuitive

MBTI Type
INTP
1) E is not about "needing" people. It might shape how much you tend to approach them for interaction, (including those you feel "synergy" with)

2) Both T and F are "rational", (in the original Jungian use, it just indicated a judgment function) so what you describe sounds like it could still be NFP. Especially when you say "using it to learn more about my values and justify/spread those values to others". You don't necessarily have to be afraid of cold facts and logic. The ENFP, particularly, has tertiary Te, so stuff like math might even be a source of "relief" to them. (The tertiary tends to be associated with relief). ENFP's here have said they like math a lot. And Ti, again, is the right brain alternative, and might even come up at times. If it's something you laugh about, then Beebe said the positive side of Trickster Ti is the ability to find humor in the things of Ti and the people who prefer it.

If you're dom. Ne, then that's the ego's main world-view, so even the T or F will be of lesser importance, and you might appear to flip-flop. But the evidence I'm seeing here gives the edge to F. Behavior is an evidence, and that seems to point to F as well.

I see that. But considering that most of the time I tend to register INxP of some sort (even on the online tests and this same cognitive functions test here), this is a bit odd.

Also, looking around at your page, I remember taking a temperament test before (from a psychology grad student), and I got "Melancholy/Choleric", which you approximated as INTJ. (Which still makes no sense, unless I've been suppressing functions, which has happened to me in the past. . . .)

Anyway, I'll try to post the video up as soon as I can so both of you can get a better evaluation. :)

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Try these, then (one of each; start with the five singular temperaments before worrying about the 12 compounds):
http://www.pastoral-counseling-center.org/Temperament-Area-Of-Inclusion.htm
http://www.pastoral-counseling-center.org/Temperament-Area-Of-Control.htm

This is what I use now for temperament. I find it more accurate than the more traditional temperament quizzes, and also seems to work well in corresponding to type. It divides or sorts the temperaments according to specific "areas" of interaction, corresponding to Keirsey's groups and the Interaction Styles.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't know what you're type is but just wanted to say that I am very much a ne Dom but can be totally socially awkward if I'm not feelin the people I'm with... Or synergy as you put it.

Enfps can either be way extroverted or not and I'm totally not... Not in the classic sort of way at least.

So if you think you're ne Dom I wouldn't rule it out just because you don't feel extroverted.

Know what I mean?

Ntuitive

MBTI Type
INTP
I don't know what you're type is but just wanted to say that I am very much a ne Dom but can be totally socially awkward if I'm not feelin the people I'm with... Or synergy as you put it.

Enfps can either be way extroverted or not and I'm totally not... Not in the classic sort of way at least.

So if you think you're ne Dom I wouldn't rule it out just because you don't feel extroverted.

Know what I mean?

Well, for me, I can just sort of "tell" whether my personality will sync with others or not via an analysis of how they express themselves, such as body language, clothing, subject of conversation, etc. In fact, when I was in my period of social transition from being a full introvert to a more socialized person, I literally accumulated websites on the meaning of certain body gestures and postures just so I could correctly pick up these signals. (As one can tell, I used to not care about such things until I realized this wasn't helping me in my personal, social, or intellectual life.)

However, I'm not sure whether this is being Ne-dominant or whether I just tend to analyze a lot of things in life. Indeed, my ENFJ friend said one time when I was stuck in a rut that I "think too much" and that I needed to "listen to my heart". However, while I try to listen to them both, I end up following my reason based on bad experiences with my wacko sense of feeling imposing itself on the outside world.

And most of the time, I just have this gut feeling that full synergy isn't possible in a conversation: I tend to be very selective with the people that I talk to (and those often are the same people that I act like an ambivert around, with this effect being even more pronounced with my closest friends where I can get super-excited making up jokes as I go along). Instead, during parties and gatherings, I tend to wander around until I actually find an interesting conversation/person (or at least, a person that I actually know) - otherwise, I would rather just stay home and read the entirety of Wikipedia. I just hate mass social gatherings in which I know no one and would only go there if I felt it had utility such as gaining connections with important guests, etc. (My INTP colleague, however, is the exception - even my closest friends didn't start out with this sort of automatic connectivity! :D)

Ntuitive

MBTI Type
INTP
As promised, here is my video. Hopefully, this will help somebody finally type me once and for all! (And this video is 15 minutes long: I know it's lengthy, but I think you have to watch the whole thing, as there are - I believe - some surface impressions that I go into more detail, especially towards the end.)

Also, what I mean by "flipped" at around 10:00 or so is not the fact that I actually "flipped" types - I know I have one dominant type, but my "flipping" refers to the fact that I've been going all over the place in terms of my MBTI online test results. (Just making sure I have that straightened out. . . .)

Finally, I'm subdued but not quite completely that quiet - it's the microphone acting up again. Actually, IRL, I can be so loud (even in normal speech) that people glare at me! :newwink:

ScottJames

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You're definitely an introvert. You're also definitely not an INFP. You appear INTP to me, but I'd also consider INTJ. INTJ's lead with a perceiving function and can often test as perceivers and appear like perceivers. Ni also tends to give a lot of different perspectives on your own processes, which can make self-assessment difficult. I might have been able to get a better read but honestly it was difficult to focus with the background noise. Though the evil cows in the background were a nice touch.

So, I'd say the question is, which of these two do you most identify with?

http://www.personalitypage.com/INTP.html

http://www.personalitypage.com/INTJ.html

Ntuitive

MBTI Type
INTP
Heh, that's what I thought! :D (I hate inconsistencies like this when they occur - they're really annoying! Plus, I have an INFP friend, and she's waaay more spaced out and dreamy than I could ever be: not that I don't have those moments, but I'd rather go back to Earth pretty quickly.)

This also probably explains why I connected so well with my INTP colleague - we approach the world in almost the same way! (But when that happened, I found it interesting and yet slightly creepy: that's for another discussion though. :wink:)

Anyway, I'll check up on the type descriptions and see what I find, but at least I got the INT thing straightened out. Thanks a bunch!

And evil cows, you say? ;) http://i.qkme.me/3pd67p.jpg (I think that was the computer fan acting up, fyi.)

Ntuitive

MBTI Type
INTP
Oh, BTW, I did read those posts, but they were a bit unclear for me because I have done both of these things in the past (e.g. I tend to be laid-back about ideas most of the time like an INTP, but when my principles are violated, I will act like an INTJ and lead the charge against the person who made that error).

But looking at this one INTP profile online (which is more specific but still understandable), I think I fit INTP more than I do INTJ.

For example, full proficiency is not as important to me as it would be to an INTJ, such as the fact that I'm gifted at classical piano, but I've never really bothered to practice one specific piece once I've mastered it. (And my ISTJ dad hates me for this! :) )

And I think this is one of the main reasons why I've been fluctuating these past few months in terms of MBTI results (emphasis mine):

"It is interesting to observe that the external world of the INTP involves a very free-spirited Ne-Fe partnership, while the internal world is a very clinical detail-structure-analysis Ti-Si combination. Hence, the outward behaviour of an INTP can contrast strongly with his introspective world."

That italicized part right there (plus a more-developed Fe) explains a lot for my non-congruent behaviors (me acting like an extrovert with my friends and acting like an introvert around strangers - such as in the video).

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
is there a tea kettle going off in the background?

Ntuitive

MBTI Type
INTP
is there a tea kettle going off in the background?

A tea kettle? :smile:

No, it's just the microphone acting up (probably some sort of feedback loop going on in the sound system is my guess).

I sure wish I had a tea kettle though! (Nothing's better than a nice warm cup of green tea. . . . :D)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh okay... Well I couldn't listen to much of it because of that sound but you do seem introverted.