• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is my boyfriend an ENTJ or ESTJ?

Rosabel

I'm pretty sure he's a Te-dom. But reading some profiles some days ago I started to think that he can be, in fact, an ESTJ... In congnitive functions tests he has high Si, Ni and Ne... hence the doubt. I have thought of him as an ENTJ for a long time, but... I don't know...

Here some things that made me think he's an ESTJ:

- Family minded. Very much! Values having an active familiar life and he thinks marriage is an important thing in a man's life, and we're planning to get married after graduation/ getting a job. Because of it, he gave up a college interchange to France to stay with me and meet these ideals. ^^ (Constitution of family over intellectual pursuit/ money)

- Hard-working, responsible, values authority (and respect when he's subordinated), takes leadership roles, likes explaning things to other people. Very sociable with everyone, but mainly with people from college, family, clubs etc.

-The teories he likes to discuss has to do with physics or things related to engineering. He's not fond of psychology in general, thought he admires my interest on it and values this. In general, I see him discussing more about information he has seen on internet or Discovery than really abstract subjects.

- Likes to work out, play soccer, football etc.

- Although he likes to think about and plan the future, he seems to struggle with "moving" to meet what he wants. Finds it difficult to move from a thing he thinks that works now.

- He's romantic (in a T fashion, haha). And the way he expresses his love is 'traditional', although he is creative when expressing himself in those 'traditional' ways (tertiary Ne? He's very creative in general, it suggests N? I don't think of it as a determining factor...).

- He has a religious side that has origin in his household.

- He is truthful, honest, has a strong moral system, doesn't like breaking rules, and very odd people annoy him in some degree, and he is one of the most friendly/ sociable/ funny people I know.

- Our personalities are complimentary, and our relationship works perfectly (being an INFJ maybe it means something).

Many of the characteristics above ENTJs can have too, I see it... but I see them mostly as ESTJ traits... there are some spot-on differences between the two types? What do you think? These are some characteristics I found SJ, but he has many traits in common with both types.

Thanks folks... :)

Last edited:

Arkigos

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
xxx
The big thing, I'd think is whether he informs his Te with Ni or with Si. An ESTJ is going to be strong on Orthodoxy ('well, that's just how you are supposed to do it!') while an ENTJ is going to be much more inclined to inform their Te with their own Genius ('Well, I figured it out and that's how it should be done.').

Does he ruminate on his own Genius/intellect or on common sense / societal consensus. Does he reach into his intuitive brain for an epiphany that he then uses to place order and sense on the world around him... or does he simply try to bring the world around him into line with a more traditional correctness?

Also, Ni Si can be teased out by seeing which is more tender for the person. If someone is dismissive of his genius does it really hurt him... or is it more likely to sting if he is seen as delinquent in societal expectations.

In my experience, the difference is stark and clear between the two types. From your description, I'd put my money on ESTJ.

Rosabel

The big thing, I'd think is whether he informs his Te with Ni or with Si. An ESTJ is going to be strong on Orthodoxy ('well, that's just how you are supposed to do it!') while an ENTJ is going to be much more inclined to inform their Te with their own Genius ('Well, I figured it out and that's how it should be done.').

Does he ruminate on his own Genius/intellect or on common sense / societal consensus. Does he reach into his intuitive brain for an epiphany that he then uses to place order and sense on the world around him... or does he simply try to bring the world around him into line with a more traditional correctness?

Also, Ni Si can be teased out by seeing which is more tender for the person. If someone is dismissive of his genius does it really hurt him... or is it more likely to sting if he is seen as delinquent in societal expectations.

Both fit, in this case.

----

He comes from a SJ household (ISTJ father and ESFJ mother)... It can have some influence on his SJ-ish behavior? (In the case he isn't really an ESTJ)...

Sometimes his knack for creativity, imagination, academicism and a mild idealism, makes me think of him as a N...

Last edited:

Arkigos

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
xxx
He comes from a SJ household (ISTJ father and ESFJ mother)... It can have some influence on his SJ-ish behavior? (In the case he isn't really an ESTJ)...

Sometimes his knack for creativity, imagination and a mild naive idealism, makes me think of him as a N...

Coming from an SJ home can have a lot of different consequences based on how he was treated in that home and how firmly and fairly those parents pushed their world-view. It's a complex issue, regardless.

We can dig deeper and look at the whole picture: Te Ni Se Fi vs Te Si Ne Fi

Note that both cases you can find N but in one case it is Ni and the other Ne - Ne likes to share creative ideas - bounce them around, chat about them, gather new ones and isn't known for scrutinizing them overmuch. Cool creative ideas are cool! The ESTJs I know rather enjoy chatting with me about some hairbrained creative thing. They think it's kinda interesting when they have the time and someone else brings it up. Good conversation material every now and then. Typical tertiary Ne.

ENTJ would not be this way at all. They would hear a new creative idea and you'll see them immediately capture it and internalize it. "How can this be used to inform my Te?" they will almost seem to think. If it seems to be a good idea, they will press you about it.. "Go on..." before long they will have judged the idea worth or unworthy and incorporated it or rejected it. Classic secondary Ni.

Rosabel

By this, tert-Ne is very likely!

----

EDIT: I figured - he's a high Ne ESTJ, after all. :)

Last edited: