User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ

Default INTJ --> ISFP: Is it possible?

I was sure I was an INTJ. Perhaps I was one. But after recently learning more about the Jungian functions, I find they do not match. I seem closer to ISFP, with a bit of confusion of the J/P preference, which is not supposed to be confusing.

What's going on here?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Well, what are your general interests/tendencies?

What elements of your personality do you think are better described under the ISFP template?

The MBTI is fat with confirmation bias. Most types are fairly fluid.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of York View Post
    I was sure I was an INTJ. Perhaps I was one. But after recently learning more about the Jungian functions, I find they do not match. I seem closer to ISFP, with a bit of confusion of the J/P preference, which is not supposed to be confusing.

What's going on here?
    I've suspected a non-negligible number INTJ's of really being IxFP's. But I've learned that's due to a tendency of mine to focus on weaknesses rather than strengths.

It's possible that you've just interpreted yourself as being your own shadow type somehow, but I don't know.

MBTI may not work according to Jung's original functions, though. It really has a lot of it's own scales and definitions which are different now.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Well, what are your general interests/tendencies?

What elements of your personality do you think are better described under the ISFP template?
    Elements of my personality: This description contains a number of spot-on traits:
    Portrait of an ISFP

From other descriptions, I discovered that ISFP males (me) are fiercely competitive, and don't take losing well. That is definitely me. Perhaps that has some INTJ similarities as well, but INTJ's seem to focus on intellectual defeat rather than just any kind.

It's just all so accurate! Looking at the functions, I noticed that my Ni is not nearly as active as it should be for an Ni-dominant type (INTJ). Also, my Fi is much more active than I previously thought (since I recently learned more about the differences between it and Fe, which is what I identified with F types). It is a very real possibility that I am actually Fi dominant. Se and Si are a bit mixed for me, but again Se is much more active than it should be for an INTJ, who has Se as the fourth function, not the second.

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I've suspected a non-negligible number INTJ's of really being IxFP's. But I've learned that's due to a tendency of mine to focus on weaknesses rather than strengths.

It's possible that you've just interpreted yourself as being your own shadow type somehow, but I don't know.

MBTI may not work according to Jung's original functions, though. It really has a lot of it's own scales and definitions which are different now.
    Maybe. I'm not quite sure what to think about it. Until I learned more about the functions, ISFP was one of the types which I knew the least about.

INTJ --> ISFP: Is it possible?
    Just from personal experience I'm going to say yes. I tested (not professionally) as INTJ for a couple of years. I think it was due to going through a difficult period in my life (very stressed, lots of major changes etc.) and I act very INTJ under those circumstances. But I knew that when I was younger and happier I wasn't much like that. So I redid the tests and answered them as if I was going through a stable phase.

I guess it's that shadow coming out. On the other hand, I do have quite a bit of N, T and J naturally so I guess they were just strengthened......?

I found "myself" when I read the book Do What You Are by Tieger and Barron, and they had great, detailed descriptions of the dictomies and I immediately recognized that I was a Feeler, then everything fell into place.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by alicia91 View Post
    Just from personal experience I'm going to say yes. I tested (not professionally) as INTJ for a couple of years. I think it was due to going through a difficult period in my life (very stressed, lots of major changes etc.) and I act very INTJ under those circumstances. But I knew that when I was younger and happier I wasn't much like that. So I redid the tests and answered them as if I was going through a stable phase.

I guess it's that shadow coming out. On the other hand, I do have quite a bit of N, T and J naturally so I guess they were just strengthened......?

I found "myself" when I read the book Do What You Are by Tieger and Barron, and they had great, detailed descriptions of the dictomies and I immediately recognized that I was a Feeler, then everything fell into place.
    I was thinking about being an ISFP... and then I realized that when I'm acting like this I'm not being 'normal.' While an ISFP may act INTJ under very difficult times, it's probable that an INTJ may act ISFP under stressed circumstances. INTJs may become rampant pleasure-seekers and become overly sensitive to things that they never really considered to hurt them before (unhealthy Se and Fi) but still lock up when confronted by others (therefore appear introverted).

Yes there's confirmation bias involved with MBTI, and all sorts of other things to screw up accuracy -- and even the question if it's a valid system in the first place -- but the only way to figure it is to consider what is normal functioning and what is not. The top two are normal, and the bottom two are 'relief.' The top two can feel so normal to your functioning as to appear invisible to you, while the bottom two are the fun, the pleasures, and the pains. I don't ever remember being 'smart,' I don't ever remember accolades or epiphanies or realizations or anything that Ni or Te would recognize. What I remember is following things on the spur of the moment and making a fool of myself (Se), especially when hurting someone else when doing it (Fi). The first two are familiar, the second two are alien, but still a part of you. Therefore, what Ni and Te give me don't take much notice, but what Fi and Se give or take from me is always noticed.

Or, you know, I could be completely wrong and it's the other way around. But I'm pretty sure about this one.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ENTP

If I were you I'd narrow it down by temperament.

For example: do you learn through repetition (artisan) or through research and insight? (rational)
    which do you trust more: impulses (artisan) or logic? (rational)
    I don't wanna!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    If I were you I'd narrow it down by temperament.

For example: do you learn through repetition (artisan) or through research and insight? (rational)
    which do you trust more: impulses (artisan) or logic? (rational)
    i disagree. for borderline cases, temperaments are too vague.

the only way to figure out your type is to have an accurate understanding of all the functions and the ways they interact. on top of that, you need to accurately assess your own thought processes, which is quite difficult.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    IT

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post

I've had this feeling a great many times as well. Alot of INFPs, specifically, that I come across act like INTJs, but due to their colors, it is clear that they are not.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Apologies to those who were fooled: this thread was meant to be a practical joke. It was designed as a "trap" for a certain member who insisted that I was not an INTJ. (Some of you might be able to guess.) Interesting (possibly hilarious) developments would have followed, but he became largely inactive shortly before the thread was started, and apparently never came across it. So never mind. I never thought I was an ISFP after all.