• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ENTP/ESFP/ENFP/ESTP, or something else?

patricia

Well.

Most of the time I type as ENFP, and I was totally happy with that, but I don't really relate with other ENFP's. ESFP sounds like me too, but I'm not really THAT outgoing as ESFP's are supposed to be. I have also been typed as ESTP and ENTP, but I really don't know! I need help!

Extroversion/Introversion

So. I'm a people-person, that's for sure. I love people, and I get my energy from people. I love meeting new people, and I'm always happy and energized after a social gathering. I can be pretty picky about people, though. I hate being alone! I'm sure I'm an extrovert.

Sensing/Intuition

I'm pretty future-focused, and I'm always daydreaming. But I can be very realistic and rational, but in the other hand, I don't really "live on the present". I have pretty much my own fantasy worlds in my head, and I imagine my life as a movie or as a book. So yeah, I pretty much live in my own head and imagination. I'm idealistic, but then again, I'm very practical. I love making lists - they are just so pretty! I learn by doing, I pretty much don't get anything if someone just tells me how to do it; I have to do it myself. I guess I could say that I'm a pretty 'deep' person, and I have a side that I don't really show to others. For example, I'm pretty artistic, but I really don't like showing that side to others. It's just too personal. And I'm more into the big picture than details.

Thinking/Feeling

This is a hard one. I value intelligence, but I don't see myself as an intelligent person. I really don't know which one rules me - my heart or my head. I'm super honest, and if someone asks my opinion on something, I will just tell it without thinking. I mean, I'm not really emotional about it. I'm logical, but I'm also very driven by emotion. I love big emotions, like passion and lust and sadness and everything like that, and I have to feel something BIG all the time. I really don't feel comfortable with just average, mild feelings - I'm either very angry or the happiest person in the world. I'm a pretty warm person though, and I can be very considerative. This is so complicated! I also don't dislike conflict - I like arguing.

Judging/Perceiving

I'm pretty sure I'm a perceiver. I'm pretty disorganized, care-free, spontaneous and I really don't like routine. I'm good at starting things, but not so good at ending them. I like to keep my options open.

Does this help at all? Feel free to ask questions, etc.! I really don't know what could be relevant and what not.

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmm... it wasn't enough info to say with certainty, but I lean to ExFP. But here's a few random questions:

- What are some of your strengths and weaknesses?
- Imagine you're working on a group project, and someone in the group wasn't pulling his or her weight. How would you feel/react?
- Imagine a friend is going through a rough situation similar to something you've been through. How would you feel/react?
- Imagine two friends (one of which you happened to be closer with) are having a dispute over something you think is silly. How would you feel/react? Would you get involved? Would you have a tendency to side with the friend you're closer to or would you feel pretty unbiased?
- Now imagine a whole group of friends are having disagreement with one of your closer friends (one against many). How would you feel/react?
- You said you dream about the future a lot. When you're trying to predict an outcome of a situation, do you tend to imagine all of the different possibilities at once, or do you tend imagine a "most likely" scenario and focus on that?

Keep in mind, these are just random questions. I want to hear your reasoning more than your answer :)

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
EXFP with info given, if i had to guess, but eally it's not so much to go on.

Starry

I hate being alone!

While a lot of what you say could apply to ENFPs...I almost want to rule out ENFP on this statement alone as this would be an unusual thing for an ENFP to say. Even the most extroverted ENFPs seem to love spending incredible amounts of time alone. But if you do eventually settle on ENFP...it would just mean you were exceptional in that regard.

patricia

Hmm... it wasn't enough info to say with certainty, but I lean to ExFP. But here's a few random questions:

- What are some of your strengths and weaknesses?
- Imagine you're working on a group project, and someone in the group wasn't pulling his or her weight. How would you feel/react?
- Imagine a friend is going through a rough situation similar to something you've been through. How would you feel/react?
- Imagine two friends (one of which you happened to be closer with) are having a dispute over something you think is silly. How would you feel/react? Would you get involved? Would you have a tendency to side with the friend you're closer to or would you feel pretty unbiased?
- Now imagine a whole group of friends are having disagreement with one of your closer friends (one against many). How would you feel/react?
- You said you dream about the future a lot. When you're trying to predict an outcome of a situation, do you tend to imagine all of the different possibilities at once, or do you tend imagine a "most likely" scenario and focus on that?

Keep in mind, these are just random questions. I want to hear your reasoning more than your answer :)

- Hmm. To be honest, I'm pretty good at making people feel special - I know how to pull the right strings, and I don't know... I'm know how to manipulate people :D not saying it's a good thing, but it just comes naturally to me. I know how to make people feel good about themselves. My weaknesses... Hmm. I'm a debater, that's for sure. I have strong opinions.
- I would probably feel annoyed. I would just tell them to do what they are required to do, and not care if they got mad or something.
- I would just try to make my friend feel better, probably buy her/him a bottle of red wine. Haha. I would just try to do everything I can to make him/her feel better.
- I wouldn't get involved if I thought it was just something silly. I would feel unbiased - I almost never take sides.
- If it was just something silly, I would probably ask everyone why they are having the dissagreement. I hate situations like that! I would probably try to spend more time with my closer friend, just that he/she wouldn't feel left out. But again, I wouldn't take sides.
- Hard one! I really don't know... Probably the "most likely" scenario. I might think about other possibilities too, but not that much. I just go with the flow!

Not sure if this helped at all :D I'm tired!

Starry said:
While a lot of what you say could apply to ENFPs...I almost want to rule out ENFP on this statement alone as this would be an unusual thing for an ENFP to say. Even the most extroverted ENFPs seem to love spending incredible amounts of time alone. But if you do eventually settle on ENFP...it would just mean you were exceptional in that regard.

Yeah, I have heard about that! If I'm really stressed, I usually want to be alone. I become very withdrawn and everything if I'm stressed.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh ok, sounds pretty ESFP from latest info. The go with the flow, getting annoyed at people not pulling their weight and telling them that straight out and also the 'most likely scenario' option.

It is hard to tell and only you know how you process information but from the description i'm going with ESFP. Which is pretty cool, we do not have many around these parts.

patricia

Oh ok, sounds pretty ESFP from latest info. The go with the flow, getting annoyed at people not pulling their weight and telling them that straight out and also the 'most likely scenario' option.

It is hard to tell and only you know how you process information but from the description i'm going with ESFP. Which is pretty cool, we do not have many around these parts.
Yeah, I could be an ESFP, but to be honest, I'm really confused! I just don't understand cognitive functions!

I just did an Enneagram test, and I scored as 7w8. I read that 7's are usually seen as sensors, so is it possible to be an ENFP and 7w8? Maybe I'm an ENFP and 7w8, and that's why I may seem as sensor?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My initial reaction yesterday after you posted was esfp but didn't feel like I had enough to go on...but I'll throw it out there anyway.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, I could be an ESFP, but to be honest, I'm really confused! I just don't understand cognitive functions!

I just did an Enneagram test, and I scored as 7w8. I read that 7's are usually seen as sensors, so is it possible to be an ENFP and 7w8? Maybe I'm an ENFP and 7w8, and that's why I may seem as sensor?

Plenty ENFP 7's around.

When you look at a busy road in a city what do you see, feel, think about first, second, third?

The main difference between ENFP's and ESFP's is their dominant function. ENFP lead with Ne (extroverted intuition) whereas ESFP lead with Se (extroverted sensing). Both types then have Fi and Te so they can appear similar. The lead function difference is in the way they take in information.

patricia

Plenty ENFP 7's around.

When you look at a busy road in a city what do you see, feel, think about first, second, third?

The main difference between ENFP's and ESFP's is their dominant function. ENFP lead with Ne (extroverted intuition) whereas ESFP lead with Se (extroverted sensing). Both types then have Fi and Te so they can appear similar. The lead function difference is in the way they take in information.
Yeah, I thought so!

I really don't know. Probably the first thing that I will notice is just the feeling, it's kind of hard to explain. Like if the street looks warm, cold or something. My second reaction would probably be "Hey, this reminds me of that movie!", and then I would be lost in my racing thoughts, like "I wonder if it's gonna rain, rain is nice. But cold, cold is not cool. I wonder how polar bears adapt? Like in Lost, why the hell are there polar bears in Lost?". This is actually what I was thinking when I looked outside my window couple of seconds ago, haha!

But to be honest, I don't really think that I'm an ESFP. I don't really live on the present, and it just doesn't feel right.

Starry

Yeah, I thought so!

I really don't know. Probably the first thing that I will notice is just the feeling, it's kind of hard to explain. Like if the street looks warm, cold or something. My second reaction would probably be "Hey, this reminds me of that movie!", and then I would be lost in my racing thoughts, like "I wonder if it's gonna rain, rain is nice. But cold, cold is not cool. I wonder how polar bears adapt? Like in Lost, why the hell are there polar bears in Lost?". This is actually what I was thinking when I looked outside my window couple of seconds ago, haha!

But to be honest, I don't really think that I'm an ESFP. I don't really live on the present, and it just doesn't feel right.

Regardless of whether or not you are ENFP or ESFP...what you describe above is very ESFPish in my mind. (just thought I would throw that out there).

Oh and...while there are no hard and fast rules...I think it is more likely for an ESFP to be a 7w8 than it is for an ENFP (again just for your consideration).

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Regardless of whether or not you are ENFP or ESFP...what you describe above is very ESFPish in my mind. (just thought I would throw that out there).

Oh and...while there are no hard and fast rules...I think it is more likely for an ESFP to be a 7w8 than it is for an ENFP (again just for your consideration).

I'm inclined to agree with you starry, the explanations also seem very ESFP from my perspective.

I get that there are tangents but the whole feel of it is very ESFP...i re-read the op and something struck me about the need to emphasize everything having to be BIG.

Anyhoo, i'm not an authority on this...it's just the vibe i get.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You seem ESFP to me. You seem engaging, and very present/tangible/real, in how you convey yourself in words. You just seem very solid to me, forthright in what you say and who you are, matter-of-fact, which isn't a sense I get from many ENFP posts/communications.

patricia

What I have heard and read is that ENFP's usually score as 4's, 2's and 7's.

But to be honest, this is all so confusing. Everytime I take the MBTI test, I score as ENFP, but people usually tell me I'm more like an ESFP. And my very close friend said that I'm more like an ENTP. I don't even know which one I relate to more - it really just changes a lot. ENTP sounds like me on a good day. I actually relate more to ENTP than ESFP. Gahhhhhhhhh

Starry

I'm inclined to agree with you starry, the explanations also seem very ESFP from my perspective.

I get that there are tangents but the whole feel of it is very ESFP...i re-read the op and something struck me about the need to emphasize everything having to be BIG.

Anyhoo, i'm not an authority on this...it's just the vibe i get.

haha. I thought about providing an example of what I think about when I look at a busy street for comparision...but then I thought it was probably best to keep the crazy to myself haha!!! But at the very least I can say that I would never think about whether or not something was cold or wet or what weather is preferable and it has been to my detriment. I do not exaggerate when I say that it is unsafe for me to even walk busy streets for fear I will get hit by a car or fall down a man-hole or something.

patricia

You seem ESFP to me. You seem engaging, and very present/tangible/real, in how you convey yourself in words. You just seem very solid to me, forthright in what you say and who you are, matter-of-fact, which isn't a sense I get from many ENFP posts/communications.

What do you mean by solid? Because I don't see myself as solid at all!

patricia

haha. I thought about providing an example of what I think about when I look at a busy street for comparision...but then I thought it was probably best to keep the crazy to myself haha!!! But at the very least I can say that I would never think about whether or not something was cold or wet or what weather is preferable and it has been to my detriment. I do not exaggerate when I say that it is unsafe for me to even walk busy streets for fear I will get hit by a car or fall down a man-hole or something.

I really didn't mean the weather when I thought if it was cold or warm :D I really just can't put it into words.

Double post, how delightful!

Starry

What I have heard and read is that ENFP's usually score as 4's, 2's and 7's.

But to be honest, this is all so confusing. Everytime I take the MBTI test, I score as ENFP, but people usually tell me I'm more like an ESFP. And my very close friend said that I'm more like an ENTP. I don't even know which one I relate to more - it really just changes a lot. ENTP sounds like me on a good day. I actually relate more to ENTP than ESFP. Gahhhhhhhhh

Correct with regards to enneagram placement. But ENFPs are more often 7w6...with ESFP and EXTP as 7w8. I need to rush off now...but I'll come back and look at the second part of your message in a bit.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I seem to be better when i am on my own on busy roads though i have had several near DOA RTA's :doh:... i have a tendancy to be looking in the wrong direction or not be able to make up my mind when to cross and also can get a little dazzled judging the distance and speed of an approaching car/bus/reindeer. Honestly i'd prefer to take the longer scenic route and avoid roads altogether.

EDIT: I have not actually had any accidents (well except one) just quite a few close calls...which could have been curtains.